Your Home for Toy News and Action Figure Discussion!

Notifications
Clear all

Wolverine's 50th Anniversary

Page 16 / 18

BAT
(@bat)

Are Sabretooth's hips sticky for anyone else? When I try to articulate his hips outward they 1) have barely any range of motion and 2) return to their original position, as if the joint is sticking rather than sliding. This also causes the hips to be floppier with every movement attempt (much like some old DCUC figures). Tried heat and water but nothing works.

ReplyQuote
 NORM
(@normdapito)
2nd most posts

@bat that does not sound good. Like the hip joints are fused. I imagine they are ball and socket joints, as I'm at work right now and don't have the figure handy to examine. If heat isn't working, I'm not sure what will. Maybe lubricant? Silicone oil seems to be what people are using. I'd consider buying a back up.

Speaking of which, I spotted all the 2pks at GameStop except Logan/Sabretooth yesterday. One of Patch/Fixit, two of the others. Also one Angel.

BAT reacted
ReplyQuote
Lucid Silverback
(@feces-flinger)

@bat 

Depending on your source of acquisition, you could get a replacement by calling their customer service number and explaining the factory error.

If you purchased it in a brick-n-mortar, you'll need to follow NORM's instruction and either track down a replacement or attempt to fix it yourself.

I just had two different figures arrive with factory errors (Jack O Lantern with a misaligned, obstructive pelvis, and Crimson D with two right lower legs) and both Target and BBTS were more than happy to quickly ship replacements.

BAT reacted
ReplyQuote
(@schizm)

Is it safe to assume at this point that Target won't be carrying this line-up? If so, I wish Hasbro had been more upfront about that so we could adjust our purchase plans.

Still odd that Amazon never got Lilandra.

ReplyQuote
MiracleMen
(@miraclemen)
Space Cadet

Posted by: @schizm

Is it safe to assume at this point that Target won't be carrying this line-up? If so, I wish Hasbro had been more upfront about that so we could adjust our purchase plans.

Still odd that Amazon never got Lilandra.

Amazon had Lilandra but sold out. Why would Hasbro need to be more upfront? They made it clear these were on Pulse and fan channels. Play silly waiting games and pay eBay prices. 

ReplyQuote
(@trunks3540)
Fwoosher

We gonna talk about how odd Astonishing Wolverine looks on his sides? Looks like they're using the movie claws, which, looks good. And the figure itself is nice, all the heads look good. But for some reason, his side stripes look weird to me. Maybe it's how he's posed? I unno, they look wrong, especially compared to the hot claws suit. And he looks a little too blue. I thought his Astonishing suit was more navy colored, but maybe I've just been trained to think that since every figure that's come out similar to his Astonishing is navy, and it is supposed to be the new shade.

*edit* Whelp I just figured out why. He has a new upper body with the chest swivel and ab crunch. The way the stripes are broken up between the 2 pieces makes it look wonky. And there's only 2 stripes, not 3. While I get why they would make them, I am really not into wanting to buy every Wolvie outfit, AGAIN, with this new torso.

ReplyQuote
 NORM
(@normdapito)
2nd most posts

They most likely won't reuse this Astonishing torso because of the piping that's sculpted into it. I'm betting they use a "nude" torso on whatever Wolvie Dan Yun keeps teasing. That will be the go-to super-articulated torso for classic Wolverines going forward. The Astonishing figure might get rereleased in different colors, or without the yellow patches on the gloves and boots (that was a JRjr thing, I think from the Enemy of the State arc). 

ReplyQuote
hmmberto
(@h-bird)

I can see a rerelease of Astonishing Wolverine in more muted colors. It's Wolverine, he's been drawn thousands of different ways, and it's a solid looking figure - I'm all for it.

I'm also excited to see a new standard Wolverine buck. They might not get me rebuying every single variant, but I'm absolutely in for a better brown costume and tiger stripe (like most collectors, I'd imagine). I don't dislike the ones we have but I'm happy for them to improve on the characters we know they'll be making anyway.

TheSameIdiot reacted
ReplyQuote
Thor-El
(@thor-el)
Indie comics publisher, writer, and letterer

While I won't be getting that Wolverine, the articulation on that and the potential for it moving forward in the line worries me. Pretty soon, these figures will start looking like Revoltech figures, and I hate those. In my opinion (and I'm aware I may be a minority here) I think there is such a thing as too much articulation. When you start sacrificing the look of the sculpt in favor of more joints it just looks bad.

ReplyQuote
Misfit
(@misfit)

Is that a reaction to the diaphragm joint? I think it looks pretty good and that's a joint I've wanted them to add to Wolverine. I think the ugliest joints Hasbro utilizes are the hinged neck, ab crunch, and swivel joints that completely break up the figure's anatomy, but I think most people are okay with them because they're used to them. I'd prefer they eliminate the lower ab crunch in favor of a ball-jointed waist with the ball-jointed diaphragm. If it's engineered right, you should get a lot of range and the parts should fit together well. Of course, it can be screwed up (Super7 has released some hideous ball-jointed waists) so it's not a simple tweak, but I think it's a positive development that Hasbro has been integrating at least the diaphragm joint in more of its new sculpts. I wish they did a Wolverine in a costume I cared about with this setup.

ReplyQuote
 NORM
(@normdapito)
2nd most posts

Posted by: @thor-el

While I won't be getting that Wolverine, the articulation on that and the potential for it moving forward in the line worries me. Pretty soon, these figures will start looking like Revoltech figures, and I hate those. In my opinion (and I'm aware I may be a minority here) I think there is such a thing as too much articulation. When you start sacrificing the look of the sculpt in favor of more joints it just looks bad.

I can appreciate that concern, but so far, I haven't seen it as a major problem for Hasbro. Thinking of the bodies with the most articulation (RYV Spidey, 60th Black Widow), the joints are integrated into the sculpt pretty smoothly. They have the benefit of pinless joints too, keeping them from looking too mechanical. Wolvie should definitely get that treatment, and can benefit from the added articulation in the torso, as opposed to just the ab hinge and swivel waist. Swivel waists should either be replaced by the upper torso ball/socket pivot, or the Classified style rounded waist swivel.

There is such a thing as too much articulation, which we saw at ToyBiz in their spinning meat and finger articulation that couldn't hold accessories. Most of that articulation was very poorly integrated into the sculpts. I think the Hasbro team has learned from a lot of those mistakes.

Akatsuki reacted
ReplyQuote
Lucid Silverback
(@feces-flinger)

I'm probably in the minority here but, I'm kind of hoping the unrevealed Wolvie figure is Logan in a Kimono.

https://flic.kr/p/2pKAwma

If it absolutely has to be a 2-Pack, throw in Lady Mariko and I'd be over the moon.

puckace reacted
ReplyQuote
(@trunks3540)
Fwoosher

So far I don't hate the joint itself. The Power Ranger figures use it, and it looks fine. I just think on this particular figure it looks odd because of how the stripes are split up and formed. In that regard, the old body looks better. I have the hot claws with not hot claws and it looks really good with normal ones. I will preorder this one, but I will wait till it's in hand to pass judgment on the joint itself in how it looks with Wolvies outfit scheme. And I'm using the 97 one for my tiger stripe suit and its damn near perfect, I don't think they need to mess with that one.

ReplyQuote
 NORM
(@normdapito)
2nd most posts

I am looking forward to how they've integrated the Astonishing shoulder pads into the mechanics of the shoulder joint, like the Iron Man shoulder armor. I HATE how the shoulder pads plug into Tiger stripe, hot claws, etc. 

Akatsuki reacted
ReplyQuote
PantherCult
(@panthercult)

Honestly,  at this point  I'd much rather get Logan in a Kimono than another iteration of Wolverine in a costume they've already done in Legends multiple times.     So, I'd be in.

I'm still expecting us to get a version of the Space Wolverine that Toy Biz gave us.    Out of sheer nostalgia I might buy 4 -  so I could have gold, silver, metallic blue and metallic red like in my 5" collection 🤩 

ReplyQuote
Page 16 / 18
Share: