Your Home for Toy News and Action Figure Discussion!

Last Comic You Read

Notifications
Clear all

Last Comic You Read

Page 2 / 2

Red Ogre
(@red_ogre)
TUFKAG (The UserFormally Known As Grins)

@tsi Remender quietly became one of my favorite writers. Wagner is always a treat. Though he didn't write them, the Grendel Tales series deals with real heavy stuff.

ReplyQuote
TheSameIdiot
(@tsi)
Magneto Was Right
Topic starter  

Love Remender's Uncanny X-Force, Fear Agent, Deadly Class, and Black Science.

Scumbag, Death or Glory, A Righteous Thirst for Vengeance, Seven to Eternity, and Tokyo Ghost are all a notch below, but I appreciate them as well.

ReplyQuote
KnightDamien
(@theknightdamien)

Finally made it through the last (Frank Castle) Punisher series. The one where he took over the Hand. Definitely a mixed bag. The basic premise, in my opinion, was really quite good. Made for a fun 'what if' sort've concept. What I didn't like was basically everything else about it.

I understand why they're treating Frank this way in the comics - that need to make him definitively a sociopath, unredeemable villain character. But I just really hate the retcon they did here. For those that didn't follow along (and some of this isn't really a NEW retcon); Frank was born a violent piece of shit, always loved killing people, did it all the time even while Maria was still alive, didn't really love his family very much, and Maria was actually about to divorce him on the day her and the kids were killed.

Fuck all of that. Super lame, shitty storytelling. I'm, as I've said elsewhere, SUPER fucking Leftist. I fully recognize how problematic Frank is as a character. But this is just the laziest, most character-assassination way of making Frank unequivocably a 'bad guy' to appease modern dipshits that are incensed over the actions of a fictional character because of the actions of real douchebags. To literally take every element of Punisher's backstory and be like 'oh, actually no -he's just garbage and every element of his story is secretly wrong and bad' sucks. It's bad writing and, while I know this isn't the case, feels like it was written by someone that specifically had a grudge against, and never liked, the character.

And I'm -for- pointing out that Punisher is a bad guy. I think they've done that well over and over in the past. This was very clearly targeted toward those people that don't pick up on any subtleties and need it all spelled out for them on a billboard. Unfortunately, it makes for pretty jank-ass storytelling when you're appealing to the lowest common denominator as the foundation of your entire story.

ReplyQuote
TheSameIdiot
(@tsi)
Magneto Was Right
Topic starter  

I've been trying to decide which books to hang on to as I purge my bookshelf. Two re-reads from that process and one first-time read:

Batman by Grant Morrison: 3.5/5. This was the first-time read. As with all Morrison, the good parts are fantastic and the bad parts make my eyes roll back into my head. I loved the stuff with Talia and Damien, but nothing else really worked for me. I thought Batman, Inc. with its knock-off Batmen was groan-worthy. Having read all viable competitors, I can say Scott Snyder wrote my favorite Batman run.

Velvet by Ed Brubaker: 5/5. Possibly my favorite Brubaker book. I'm a huge Mission: Impossible fan, and this has all the pulpy spy content that I love. I don't actually own this one, but I'm going to pick it up for my bookshelf. So much for purging, I guess.

Fear Agent by Rick Remender: 4/5. When I first read this in college over a decade ago, it immediately became one of my favorite books. This is my first re-read since then. It's one of Remender's first comics and you can tell. It might be my re-read talking, but I felt like I could see the man behind the curtain. Some dialogue and plot points didn't age particularly well (the book is 20 years old now), but it was more eyebrow-raising than "yikes." The ending still rocks.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: