7 inch Page Punchers: Wild @$$ speculation thread.

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
VictorD10010
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: 7 inch Page Punchers: Wild @$$ speculation thread.

Fri May 20, 2022 9:53 pm

I don't know that much about comics,so i was curious if it's like "hey man, can you make the art of this comic,i wanna make some figures too"
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Fri May 20, 2022 10:52 pm

If Todd truly goes by the DCD formula, which I doubt he does, we can expect teams, themes, prestige stories (Long Halloween), big stories (Reign of the Supermen), events (anything Crisis), and Elseworlds (Kingdom Come). DCD actually got pretty far with teams like the Teen Titans, JSA, and multiple JLA incarnations, albeit slowly. DCD also did a fair amount of artist stuff too. Much of it uncredited like that Bissette/Totleben Swamp Thing, the Ramos Impulse and Max Mercury, Adams Hard Traveling Heroes and more. I’ve no problems with any of it. I could go for a couple of waves of Kirby Style New Gods.
Estus_Refill
Faster than a speeding bullet

Fri May 20, 2022 11:30 pm

It might just be hopeful thinking, but I could see a Geoff Johns/Ivan Reis one off comic with figures that match the upcoming blackest night wave. It could be a good way to get more lanterns out and potentially add some popular characters who never appeared in blackest night.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Sat May 21, 2022 3:48 pm

So I did a little research on what DCD put out in it’s original form. Below are waves. No one-offs, no multi-packs, no deluxe figures. Just waves of two or more. DCD did it’s “world building” by volume, not in a planned and executed way. Lots of this is artist inspired whether credited or not. But the themes were evident starting in 2000. This is comic only since that’s the point of Page Punchers anyway.

2000-2011

Hard Traveling Heroes
Supernatural
Androids
Speedsters
JSA
LSH
Titans
Wonder Woman
JSA
Supernatural
Green Lantern
Sandman
JSA
Green Lantern
Captain Marvel
JSA
LSH
Supernatural
Freedom Fighters
Authority
Crime Syndicate
LSH
Green Lantern
Superman
Superman
Kingdom Come
Kingdom Come
JLA
Kingdom Come
LSH
Superman
Hush
Golden Age First Appearance
LSH
DKR
Titans
Gold Age First Appearance
JLA
Hush
Green Lantern
Titans
Justice
Hush
Batman FA
Crisis
Batman Villains
Public Enemies
Elseworlds
Long Halloween
Unmasked
Identity Crisis
Knightfall
Identity Crisis
McGuiness
Justice
SA Superman
Superman/Batman
New Frontier
Crisis
Green Lantern
Elseworlds
Justice
Infinite Crisis
Dark Victory
Crisis
JSA
Justice
Public Enemies
Elseworlds
McGuinness
Brave New World
Infinite Crisis
Elseworlds
JLA
Justice
Batman and Son
Superman
Marvel Family
New Frontier
Wonder Woman
Justice
DC Armory
McGuinness
JLA
Trinity
New Gods
Titans
Showcase
Green Lantern
Justice
All Stars
Batman Villains
JLA
JLA
New Gods
JSA
Superman/Batman
History of the DCU
History of the DCU
JLA
Blackest Night
Blackest Night
History of the DCU
McGuiness
Blackest Night
Blackest Night
JSA
History of the DCU
Batman Reborn
Blackest Night
McGuiness
Superman
Blackest Night
Blackest Night
Blackest Night
Brightest Day
Brightest Day
Return of Bruce Wayne
Batman Inc
Flashpoint
Brightest Day
Green Lantern
Green Lantern

12 years worth of waves. Patterns emerge. Can’t say Todd will follow this or any other pattern or agenda other than his own. But this is what DCD did. Big stories, prestige stories, artists, teams, Elseworlds. Plenty of Batman, Superman, and Green Lantern. All comic accurate and a hellova’ lot of fun. Page Punchers could just be the beginning.
seditionary
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 21, 2022 4:52 pm

This might be ambitious but I would love for this line to have 4 issues instead of just 1. Buy them all and you get a 4 issue arc. That would probably work on me better than a build a figure depending on the writer and artist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Xavion2004
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 21, 2022 5:09 pm

I have mad respect for what McFarlane has accomplished with this line, both commercially and artistically, but we’re just worlds apart aesthetically. Even looking at the first four releases, I can’t get excited, and I was a huge Black Adam fan from his JSA days. Unless Todd decides to commit to some Golden, Silver, or Bronze Ages looks, I just can’t get excited. I wish I could, because you can”t beat the combination of quality, price, and consistency that he’s offering. It’s kind of ironic that my vote for best toy line would go to something I don’t even collect. We’ll see where this particular sub-line goes though.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Sat May 21, 2022 5:41 pm

The DCC part of this from 2012-2020 is a bit different. Lots of animated, game, TV, and a few movie figures were in it. Only around 50% was comic based. Ironically, this is where they did the bulk of “world building” under the New 52 banner.

Justice League
Suicide Squad
Crime Syndicate
Titans
Capullo
Earth 2
Outlaws
JLD
Capullo
Capullo
Jae Lee
Icons
Dodson
Icons
Icons
Cooke
Capullo
Icons
Cooke
Cooke
Bermejo
Bombshells
Icons
Icons
Icons
Bombshells
Essentials
Essentials
Essentials
Essentials
Essentials
Essentials
Essentials
Essentials
seditionary
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 21, 2022 7:45 pm

I am curious. Is this artist/story arc specific stuff so the mainline comic stuff can be more classic? Thus that new Martian manhunter for instance.

The trading cards are interesting too because the comic art stopped being used in favor of toy products. I wonder if that was a lag of dc/wb approving the art or some kind of copyright thing.

This seems like a nice way of doing art specific releases alongside a one shot.

He’s selling these on the idea of exclusive con style comic releases. So I don’t imagine theyd go back and reprint something like the long Halloween issue #1. But they did release that as a promo for the batman film so who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Sat May 21, 2022 7:59 pm

The way I see this (and I might be wrong) is that the comic is an excuse to do only comic figures in this subline. I mean Page Punchers. It could be a new exclusive comic or a reprint of some kind. Doesn’t matter much to me as long as it gets us more comic accurate figures. I don’t even care if it’s artist inspired figures or not. The Bermejo stuff looks good, but I can see some figures being far less stylized. One of my favorite old school DCD figures was black tee Superboy nominally based on Mike McKone artwork. Some would call it “generic”. Hope Mike got a royalty.
aceofknaves
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 21, 2022 8:32 pm

Looking at the “One Bad Day” Bat-villain solicitations, I would definitely like all of them to be Page Puncher releases:
-Riddler
-Bane
-Two-Face
-Penguin
-Mr. Freeze
-Catwoman
-Clayface
-Ra’s al Ghul

DO IT.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Sat May 21, 2022 11:02 pm

If we’re talking about figures for current and upcoming DC titles, I’ve got a few for PPs.

Dark Crisis: A look at the current state of the DCU. And what it might look like after the event ends.

Dark Knights of Steel: Batman, Superman, and the rest, essentially in a Game of Thrones type setting.

DCeased: Final chapter upcoming, but I’d love an expansive line of figures from all the series, especially the non Zombie heroes.

Flashpoint Beyond: A world that has fascinated me for 11 years. Centered around Thomas Wayne and an almost unspeakable tragedy, he’s a doctor turned vigilante. Aquaman is a tyrant, and Wonder Woman isn’t much better. Cyborg is a combination Iron Man/Superman/Captain America. And it’s a world on fire. Also, the first two issues hint at a much broader story. Plus, maybe a new and very brutal Robin.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Sun May 22, 2022 9:53 pm

Now I really want DCeased figures. Compatible with Multiverse.
ditko
Thread Killer

Mon May 23, 2022 4:13 am

Not to rain on a parade or anything, but isn't this comic made exclusively for this line?? I'm not sure we're gonna see classics celebrated here even though I could love that. Mass retail has had Future State, DKR, Metal and Blackest Night coming. So that's where stories are coming.

I see this more like Designer Series but with exclusivity. Todd loves that. I absolutely love this line's initial wave! Most excited I ever have been for Black Adam. I want a hulking Hawkman.

Anyway if it's designer series Bermejo is an excellent choice. I would like Jimenez to get this treatment....and why not Jim Lee?? I think that would be a hit.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Mon May 23, 2022 12:55 pm

You’re not raining man. There’s no parade. We know very little here, that’s why I called this thread Wild @$$ speculation. No one has come out and directly said this is a Bermejo wave although it really looks like it. No one at McFarlane has even mentioned Bermejo as far as I’ve seen. Lots of possibilities for more artist waves, or big stories, or event stories, or whatever. I’m not discounting anything until Todd comes along and tells us what he plans to do with PPs down the line.

The main thing for me is that including the comic signals that this is a comic subline. Whether it’s a new comic or a reprint doesn’t matter all that much to me. A great creative team is cool too, or it could be some up and comers. I really don’t care. The book ensures that these figures are comic accurate or at least comic inspired. And I believe that’s what most of us are after…more comic characters.
JOExHIGASHI
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Mon May 23, 2022 4:09 pm

Black Adam is the one I'm least interested in. The armor is cool but it looks like it's going to be a flat yellow with no shading so it'll look cheap.

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”