DC Superpowers 2022

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
batprofessor
Runs Around in Tights

Re: DC Superpowers 2022

Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:19 am

gpmartin414 wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:30 am
Really hope these are either available online or not Walmart exclusives. I’m in NYC, and there aren’t any Walmarts here.
This isn’t meant to sound snobbish, but you’re not missing much. The Wallys in NJ are a nightmare (dirty and disheveled) and they never have any collectibles worth a damn, since the scalpers are constantly patrolling. My mother-in-law lives two blocks from one, and I’ve never found anything desirable.

Here in Virginia, it’s a different story, but not a better one. There are four Wallys I pass on my commute, and finding something collectible on the shelves is rare. Not due to scalpers, but because their toy sections are laughable (unless it’s Nov/Dec.) I can get 150 different kinds of truck and car batteries, but retro Super Powers? Nah.
havok_x5
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:33 am

gpmartin414 wrote:
Really hope these are either available online or not Walmart exclusives. I’m in NYC, and there aren’t any Walmarts here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I feel you, I live in Chicago and there are no Wal-Mart's in the city
featofstrength
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:56 am

havok_x5 wrote:
gpmartin414 wrote:

Oh come now…there are at least a couple accessible by public transit. I remember riding west to the end of the blue line periodically to then walk several blocks to what I would call “civilization”: a Walmart next to a Kmart next to a…wait…Kmart…I guess it has been some time. But I do remember going out there to score many a DC Universe Classics figure, including the hard to find Metallo wave.
Visionary
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:05 am

If you’re complaining about Super Powers in a Super Powers thread you might be a “hater”.

I hope this new retro line goes on for another 5 years honestly and if it’s just one I’ll be very grateful to Todd and move on hoping for more again one day.

Isn’t the Super Powers 40th Anniversary in 2024? Maybe we can the Darkseid Apokolips playset by then.
havok_x5
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:08 am

featofstrength wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:56 am
havok_x5 wrote:
gpmartin414 wrote:

Oh come now…there are at least a couple accessible by public transit. I remember riding west to the end of the blue line periodically to then walk several blocks to what I would call “civilization”: a Walmart next to a Kmart next to a…wait…Kmart…I guess it has been some time. But I do remember going out there to score many a DC Universe Classics figure, including the hard to find Metallo wave.
I'll need to look into do that! I usually will hit up the local toy/nerd shops and they'll have some of the exclusives that people have sold or traded in.
DisneyBoy
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:45 pm

Wouldn't it be cool if they made movie figures in this line and gave us a Jack Joker or a Max Shrek or proper Returns Batman?
The Gill-Man
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:37 pm

It appears that this line is going to focus primarily on modern looks in the Super Powers style, so I'm doubtful Todd is looking to "finish" the classic toy line by doing the characters that didn't make it out before the line ended. Sadly, the presence of Batman Who Laughs in the second wave leads me to believe that this will be the popular characters with modern looks....and a whole lot of different versions of Batman. Seems an odd approach for a line fueled primarily by nostalgia, but this is Todd and modern DC we are talking about here. I hope I'm wrong, honestly.
PharOOO
Avengers Assemble

Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:27 pm

My interest in this collection went from extremely high to dirt low after seeing wave 1 Batman and learning of the line-up for wave 2.

Batman looks like a cheap imitation of the original version. Wave 2's line-up is lame with the inclusion of ultra-modern characters.

I still really want the Batwing though so I hope I stumble across that sooner than later.
Ro-El
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:09 pm

Yeah, my interest has somewhat diminished if they are indeed taking modern takes in SP style as the focus. The vehicles revealed so far are a must. Superman as well. Modern takes are fine but I’m hoping to see a little more classics in a nostalgia fueled line. I’ll wait and see and above all…..cherry pick. I’ve no interest in an SP Batman who Giggles.
Rex Mason
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:19 pm

OfficialJihad wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:45 am
Rex Mason wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:50 am
Right, but we're talking about Super Powers here. It's a line that is using retro packaging, a retro scale, and even making vintage style vehicles. No one is saying every line should be a nostalgia line. But certainly it's fair to expect retro characters in a purposely retro line of figures.
No, from what I’m seeing on the internet, Facebook & on here is people who want them to remake the entire original Super Powers Collection. It’s a retro line but it’s supposed to be an answer to the hypothetical question of how would today's super heroes look as a Super Powers figure.
If that's the case, then why the retro Supermobile and the retro-like Batwing?

I'm holding out hope for a mix of both classic and modern, but retro figures just make more sense in this line. I also wouldn't be upset if they made exact repros of the original line, especially if it meant giving the line longevity and an opportunity to get era-appropriate figures of characters like Batgirl and Catwoman.
havok_x5
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:06 am

I would assume we are gonna get current popular characters, like Red Hood, Harley, characters like that. But then it would be awesome to get characters like Black Canary, Catwoman, Huntress, Nightwing, who totally would have been great in the original line. I don't have it yet but it looks like Batman's belt is a separate piece, so my guess that could easily be turned into a bronze age Bats.
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:20 am

DisneyBoy wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:45 pm
Wouldn't it be cool if they made movie figures in this line and gave us a Jack Joker or a Max Shrek or proper Returns Batman?
I would go bonkers if this happened. Fortunately, you are talking about Batman merchandise, so it is not off the table.
SalemCrow
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:02 am

Seems like a lot of people just assumed this would either continue the OG line or update it like Origins (when we have had ZERO info on this from Todd in the first place), when we ALL know DC is pushing the current media the most right now.
Ro-El
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:25 am

To be fair, one tends to do that when seeing Super Powers in the title. Might as well call it Super Powers Multiverse.
Ultramane
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:35 am

cannot believe the absolute crybaby takes in this thread over the existence of a batman who laughs toy being made in a modern toy line. like, how are you gonna be upset that a toy you don't have to buy just happens to exist? touch my ass. go ahead, touch it. you know you want to. touch my mighty ass, and feed on the power it gives you. feed on the power of assness

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”