The DC Film Universe Thread.

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
Ro-El
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: The DC Film Universe Thread.

Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:05 pm

I’m of the opinion of wanting to see Caville return. Reboot his story, but let him have another chance. I’m ok with Momoa staying as Aquaman. I’m indifferent with Gadot. I’m ok with either Batfleck or Battison . Forget Cyborg and bring in Martian Manhunter as it should be. Not sure who is going to be Hal or John Stewart. Flash needs a hard reboot. Ezra got to go. He needs help before he can do anything else.
Gambitfan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:26 pm

They could easily get rid of Ezra and not reboot the Flash. Just have him killed off/disappear in a sort of flashback sequence in a film and introduce Wally in Barry's place maybe??
Magnuz
Tyrant

Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:30 am

Actually the simplest version is have him replace himself. He's altering timelines in a Flashpoint manner and we already know that there's two versions of Ezra in the film, they could end the film with him succeeding but coming out different, specifically looking different but maybe the same character and personality they've developed.

It'd be much harder to fit wally in when I doubt the movie which should be already completely shot, could write in a character that's likely not in it.

I will say those clamoring for grant Gustin to take over should settle down. He's a great tv flash but he would bring baggage even if he wasn't his flash and it would just be weird.

Keep aquaman, keep black adam and shazam, bring back cavill give him a fresh movie, doesn't need to be a reboot just a fresh story that doesn't bog itself down with the previous ones. Keep gal but make something more like the first movie and forget about 84.

Do a fresh green lantern, with more heart and seriousness. Build the universe and be consistent.

It won't happen at all, because they've had success by not being consistent like with joker so they will probably continue their process of throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.
yojoebro82
Not Even Supposed To Be Here Today

Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:12 pm

I mean.....both DC and Marvel are setting it up where there are infinite versions of every character and they don't even have to look the same. That's the Multiverse for ya, the ultimate Macguffin! Just get a new Barry Allen in there, they will need little to no explanation.
yojoebro82

Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:42 am

If I'm reading through all the industry jargon and double talk correctly, it sounds like they don't want to make feature films that go straight to streaming. For reasons.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/war ... 47380.html

But they're still really excited for Flash.
Grins
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:08 am

I've always been much more of a Marvel fan, but I have a lot of empathy for you DC fans. What a heartbreak it must be to see them repeatedly cockup all these beloved characters.
How can you consider this model of film-making, where you have one decent movie sandwiched between a hoagie of horseshit, viable?
SDcomics
Smilies are my weapon of choice

Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:32 pm

Here's a little mental exercise.

So let's say this David Zaslav dude walks up to you and says "You (Yes, YOU) are now our Kevin Feige. You are in charge of the DC Cinematic Universe. Here is your mandate: You have 10 years. Starting in 2025, you are to produce 3 motion pictures and 2 HBO Max series a year. There should be 3 phases in this 10 year period that will culminate in 1 overarching saga. God willing, if the public embraces what you've done we'll start another 10 year saga in 2036. But it all depends on YOU. So get cracking."

Me, I'd hide under the kitchen table and cry like a little girl. I do not thrive under pressure. But once I regained my composure, I might start thinking this could be pretty cool.

Yes, you can use the same actors from the Snyderverse if you want. Or for that matter any actor from a previous DC movie. You can even bring back Christian Bale as Batman. But everyone has to understand this is a REBOOT. Anything that happened before will not count. It's not canon in your DCCU.

Here's what I came up with for Phase One:

Phase One

Year One

Theatrical:

Image Image Image

HBO Max:

Image Image

Year Two

Theatrical:

Image Image Image

HBO Max:

Image Image

Year Three

Theatrical:

Image Image ImageImage

HBO Max:

Image Image

I know, I know. It's a LOT. And that was mostly off the top of my head. I didn't really give it a lot of thought. Phase Two will be much harder. Not only do you have to make sequels for the films that did well, but there are so many more characters to introduce. Like Shazam and Black Adam, for instance. AND you have to start laying the groundwork for the overarching saga. I don't know what that would be. The Fourth World Saga? Dark Knights: Metal? Blackest Night? Infinite Crisis? Rock of Ages?

I think you HAVE to start the ball rolling with Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. You don't have to do origin stories. I think everyone knows them already. "Rocketed to Earth as an infant, parents shot in an alley, raised on Paradise Island" blah, blah. Using Cavill and Gadot would be fine. But if I'm the head guy in charge of this thing, I would cast a younger actor as Batman. Nothing against Affleck, but I want a Batman that's more in his prime.

You HAVE to get Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman right. That's imperative. The B, C and D list characters are great. I love them. Hawkman, Atom, Green Arrow, they're all fun. But if you can't get people excited for the big three, you may as well hang it up.

And speaking of Batman, I would leave the Matt Reeves/Robert Pattinson movies out of it. I would let that world continue and just be it's own thing, separate from the DCCU. Same with the Todd Phillips/Joaquin Phoenix Joker stuff. Hey, those movies are making money and people seem to enjoy them.

So frickin' much to consider. New Gods: Movie or Series? Do we even bother with the Suicide Squad again? Can we give Batgirl another shot? What about the Teen Titans? The Justice Society? Is a Secret Society of Super-Villains film viable? And then there's the supernatural side of things. What about a John Constantine series? Justice League Dark?

Who's going to be our Lex Luthor? Our Joker?

The Milestone characters. Should they be used? I don't even know if they can. I'm not sure what the contract situation is there.

So anyway, like I said, just a little mental exercise. Whoever the Kevin Feige at DC is going to be, he or she will have their work cut out for them. It'll be interesting to see how it works out.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:23 pm

yojoebro82 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:42 am
If I'm reading through all the industry jargon and double talk correctly, it sounds like they don't want to make feature films that go straight to streaming. For reasons.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/war ... 47380.html

But they're still really excited for Flash.
The main reason being, I think, is how does anyone think that dropping $90 million on a two-hour movie actually result in $150 million (or whatever they need to make a profit on top of the production costs and other expenses) in additional HBOMax subscriptions? You could probably get a whole season of something like Peacemaker for that price, which keeps people engaged for 8 hrs over two billing cycles - and probably could have done the same thing with Batgirl. And if you are making a movie for $90 million, why not ramp it up a bit and put it in theaters worldwide, where if it is a hit you could make a couple hundred million and still get to put it on HBOMax.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:33 pm

As for SDC's question, and this is why I wouldn't want to run a studio as I know people might hate this idea, is that given how the DCU under Snyder tried to be all "edgy" and "cool" and "real and gritty" compared to Marvel, I'd go the opposite direction along the lines of of Justice League International / Superfriends / Batman 66 mode (not all the way to camp certainly) and be more lighthearted, PG and not PG-13, bright and bold colors (more "comic-booky"), less "world is going to end" and more "the Legion of Doom wants to take over the world via mind-control rays". Kind of like The Suicide Squad without the violence/profanity but still crazy characters fighting a giant space Starfish, and instead of the giant space Starfish dying the heroes get it back to space and everyone is happy. Maybe closer to the tone of Superman 1 and 2 with Reeves or Batman by Burton under not so dark - serious-ish but not too much so. Something a 9 year-old could watch and enjoy.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:18 am

fac wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:33 pm
As for SDC's question, and this is why I wouldn't want to run a studio as I know people might hate this idea, is that given how the DCU under Snyder tried to be all "edgy" and "cool" and "real and gritty" compared to Marvel, I'd go the opposite direction along the lines of of Justice League International / Superfriends / Batman 66 mode (not all the way to camp certainly) and be more lighthearted, PG and not PG-13, bright and bold colors (more "comic-booky"), less "world is going to end" and more "the Legion of Doom wants to take over the world via mind-control rays". Kind of like The Suicide Squad without the violence/profanity but still crazy characters fighting a giant space Starfish, and instead of the giant space Starfish dying the heroes get it back to space and everyone is happy. Maybe closer to the tone of Superman 1 and 2 with Reeves or Batman by Burton under not so dark - serious-ish but not too much so. Something a 9 year-old could watch and enjoy.
Damnit,man. When I saw his post, what I thought of was:

AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:38 pm

SDcomics wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:32 pm
Here's a little mental exercise.

So let's say this David Zaslav dude walks up to you and says "You (Yes, YOU) are now our Kevin Feige. You are in charge of the DC Cinematic Universe. Here is your mandate: You have 10 years. Starting in 2025, you are to produce 3 motion pictures and 2 HBO Max series a year. There should be 3 phases in this 10 year period that will culminate in 1 overarching saga. God willing, if the public embraces what you've done we'll start another 10 year saga in 2036. But it all depends on YOU. So get cracking."

Me, I'd hide under the kitchen table and cry like a little girl. I do not thrive under pressure. But once I regained my composure, I might start thinking this could be pretty cool.

Yes, you can use the same actors from the Snyderverse if you want. Or for that matter any actor from a previous DC movie. You can even bring back Christian Bale as Batman. But everyone has to understand this is a REBOOT. Anything that happened before will not count. It's not canon in your DCCU.

Here's what I came up with for Phase One:

Phase One

Year One

Theatrical:

Image Image Image

HBO Max:

Image Image

Year Two

Theatrical:

Image Image Image

HBO Max:

Image Image

Year Three

Theatrical:

Image Image ImageImage

HBO Max:

Image Image

I know, I know. It's a LOT. And that was mostly off the top of my head. I didn't really give it a lot of thought. Phase Two will be much harder. Not only do you have to make sequels for the films that did well, but there are so many more characters to introduce. Like Shazam and Black Adam, for instance. AND you have to start laying the groundwork for the overarching saga. I don't know what that would be. The Fourth World Saga? Dark Knights: Metal? Blackest Night? Infinite Crisis? Rock of Ages?

I think you HAVE to start the ball rolling with Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. You don't have to do origin stories. I think everyone knows them already. "Rocketed to Earth as an infant, parents shot in an alley, raised on Paradise Island" blah, blah. Using Cavill and Gadot would be fine. But if I'm the head guy in charge of this thing, I would cast a younger actor as Batman. Nothing against Affleck, but I want a Batman that's more in his prime.

You HAVE to get Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman right. That's imperative. The B, C and D list characters are great. I love them. Hawkman, Atom, Green Arrow, they're all fun. But if you can't get people excited for the big three, you may as well hang it up.

And speaking of Batman, I would leave the Matt Reeves/Robert Pattinson movies out of it. I would let that world continue and just be it's own thing, separate from the DCCU. Same with the Todd Phillips/Joaquin Phoenix Joker stuff. Hey, those movies are making money and people seem to enjoy them.

So frickin' much to consider. New Gods: Movie or Series? Do we even bother with the Suicide Squad again? Can we give Batgirl another shot? What about the Teen Titans? The Justice Society? Is a Secret Society of Super-Villains film viable? And then there's the supernatural side of things. What about a John Constantine series? Justice League Dark?

Who's going to be our Lex Luthor? Our Joker?

The Milestone characters. Should they be used? I don't even know if they can. I'm not sure what the contract situation is there.

So anyway, like I said, just a little mental exercise. Whoever the Kevin Feige at DC is going to be, he or she will have their work cut out for them. It'll be interesting to see how it works out.
Daddy like. I'd have all that lead up to the Legends mini-series Byrne drew that brought the post-Crisis heroes together to then form the League. Darkseid needs as much a build-up Thanos got, so weave Anti-Life Equation plot threads throughout all the movies to tie it all together.
yojoebro82

Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:41 am

I mean....I know the WB brass is saying one thing at the moment, but there's no way Flash survives the WB blood bath......right?

https://deadline.com/2022/08/flash-star ... 1235087690
Magnuz
Tyrant

Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:52 am

I dunno what they are doing with Ezra and flash. Either they don't want to write off the money they've spent(surely alot more than batgirl) or have plans on replacing him in the film.

That or they are to concerned about backlash for firing him, despite everything that's happened he's still free and hasn't been completely taken down like other celebrities doing bad things, and everything reported continues to be vague or not completely validated. He's skirting alot of stuff and some reports seem so crazy it's hard to believe.

Meanwhile rumors are wb wants cavill back as superman, and a new rumor popped up that wb reached out to him to come back and he said he doesn't want to. Maybe holding out for more money like last time, I find it hard to believe he'd leave the character behind if it was a good offer...

Dc films is in shambles.
yojoebro82

Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:17 pm

Magnuz wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:52 am
Dc films is in shambles.
It really is.

Unfortunately I've clicked on one too many DC film articles that the internet is now sending every half baked rumor under the sun and I really don't know what to believe. Ben Affleck has been on-again-off-again Batman since the Wheedon JL movie.....apparently he IS Batman again......really, truly for sure this time.

As for Flash, it's in so deep a hole that I really don't even care about seeing it. I was always skeptical that half the reason it's even coming out is to be a vehicle for Michael Keaton's Batman.....and I LOVE Keaton Batman as much as the next guy.....but they seem to just be shoe horning him into other movies just because. I was never really on board with Miller as Flash, but I was prepared to give him a chance. What's the use now, though? Even if this movie gets released (which I'm not convinced it will), there's no way he's going to be Flash after this. Maybe he acts his ass off and completely sells me on him as Barry Allen, so what? He's going to be done after this anyway.
Gambitfan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:23 pm

I really don't see this whole scenario with Ezra Miller ending well at all. I hope they get the help they need and able to work through their demons/issues but I just think it won't get to that point.

Return to “The Multiplex”