CyberFrog Figures

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
JTMarsh
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

CyberFrog Figures

Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:38 am

Anyone familiar with DC's Green Lantern comics is likely familiar with Ethan Van Sciver. Some people love him, some people hate him, some might even confuse him with a nationwide furniture chain. But much like Todd McFarlane and other self publishing creators he's apparently jumping (no pun intended) into the action figure market with his own properties. Some of the sculpts look pretty unique if you're into wacky mutant animals etc. I saw his female figure and thought it'd make for a good Shadowcat head given that he states the figures scale with Marvel Legends. Looked pretty detailed too.

Link for anyone interested, no clue what they'll cost.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/cybe ... oming_soon
Threash
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: CyberFrog Figures

Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:52 pm

Never heard of cyberfrogs and the cyberfrog figure itself has no appeal but i signed up for that awesome wasp and female figure.
supreme-d
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:57 pm

Whoa actually that looks really cool, especially the 90’s version. I honestly would have bought that.

But that guy’s an asshole, and he cancelled himself. No way in hell he gets my money.
Threash
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:04 pm

supreme-d wrote:
Whoa actually that looks really cool, especially the 90’s version. I honestly would have bought that.

But that guy’s an @$!%^#*, and he cancelled himself. No way in hell he gets my money.
Had no idea, wow this guy is the worst.
secondwhiteline
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:31 pm

Threash wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:04 pm
supreme-d wrote:

But that guy’s an @$!%^#*, and he cancelled himself. No way in hell he gets my money.
Had no idea, wow this guy is the worst.
Oh yeah, just an awful, toxic person. I can't see myself supporting anything he makes even if it looks cool.
Preacherpool
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:05 pm

Just looking at the toy side of things, that posted articulation scheme will likely impede Cyberfrog from hitting some of those really dymamic poses he's known for, and Salamandroid seems like a non-starter.

I don't know. You can't name-drop Marvel Legends then seemingly omit ankle rockers from a character who should move at least as well as Spidey.
yakkotank
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:55 pm

Preacherpool wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:05 pm
Just looking at the toy side of things, that posted articulation scheme will likely impede Cyberfrog from hitting some of those really dymamic poses he's known for, and Salamandroid seems like a non-starter.

I don't know. You can't name-drop Marvel Legends then seemingly omit ankle rockers from a character who should move at least as well as Spidey.
According to this, the plan is to increase the POA as the funding increases in the campaign....

http://amphibionix.com/action-figure-campaign/
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:50 pm

I didn't even know this guy insisted until today.
Turns out he's an alt-right nutjob. So that tells you about what you -should- need to know about supporting him or his projects.
And we all know.. certain people.. won't care.
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:52 am

The designs are... interesting, but this whole enterprise of "hey, I have an ancient IP a few people might remember, maybe I can make figures too while the market's hot!" is not something that is energizing my spending habits. Mainline figure collecting is, in a holistic sense, edging closer and closer to Funko Pop territory than many of us are willing to admit.
JTMarsh
CROM!

Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:17 am

The hair sculpt on the female figure is what caught me, as I'm a sucker for ornate detailed hair sculpts and I thought it might make an interesting Kitty Pryde if the head fits. Should be interesting to see what the stretch goals are if there are any. Looked somewhat McFarlane-esque from the get go. Plus my initial impression of the main frog character was that it was very "TMNT"-like. I enjoyed the overall Spawn Kickstarter campaign and am still overall very happy with the final product, so thought this looked similarly unique when I saw it. Definitely does need ankle articulation if it's a gymnastics-oriented character. Something for those who like to wait I suppose.
Preacherpool
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:28 am

yakkotank wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:55 pm
According to this, the plan is to increase the POA as the funding increases in the campaign....
http://amphibionix.com/action-figure-campaign/
The ankles are still swivels in the upgraded layout. I can understand the swappable hands, but the feet are so large that not having any ball joints built into them feels like a missed opportunity.

There can probably be some debate over using an ab crunch over a diaphragm joint, and if drop down hips are better used or avoided.

Omitting the hips from the starter 8 points is the weirdest detail. They're not that clueless about articulation so it feels like sabotaging their own product to coerce people into giving more money.

Dr Baghead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:59 pm

The fact this is an IndieGoGo and not a Kickstarter should be setting off HUGE red flags, as you get to keep whatever you make with an IndieGoGo, goal met or not.

But everyone here is an adult and free to do whatever they want with their money, just keep in mind this might carry more risk than your standard crowd funding project when you do.

I do feel bad for the muscular frog hero fanatics out there who put money into this and Premium DNA’s Battletoads thinking it’s a renaissance when really they just found a cool new way to loose $500
The Gill-Man
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:54 am

Used to love this book in the 90's, and EVS is a fantastic artist, but he's such a creep I just cannot support anything he does. I tend to be cool with folks having differing political views from me, and I'm fairly moderate overall, but extremists who bully and spout hateful garbage? Yeah....I can't hang with that. All those Comicsgate @$$h0l3$ can go crawl back into the slimy hole they came from.
os189
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:31 am

Clicked just to see the comments....did not disappoint.

I remember seeing ads for Cyberfrog back in Wizard magazine and thinking "Well that's about the stupidest thing I've ever seen..." Not only did I find it just a dumb concept, but I personally find frogs and toads to be utterly repulsive creatures.

Funny how that was one of those early 90s comics "boom" books that only existed cause it was right before the bubble burst. I wonder if the fact that he's attempting to make it an action figure is some kind of similar sign that the action figure market is about to buckle under its own weight as well?

I had no idea he eventually made it to the big leagues working on X-Men and a bunch of stuff for DC, as well. I think he's got a perfectly serviceable art style, and I admire that he actually draws and doesn't just use 3D models, but nothing about his work stands out to me as truly exceptional. He doesn't seem to have his own unique penciling style at all....it's really similar to Phil Jiminez, in my opinion. Maybe more cross-hatching.
aiborgatel
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:46 am

I need to know that female articulation scheme and scale... She looks so beautiful

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”