A Couple of Questions

Ask your How to Questions here. Wanna know what paints to use? Wanna know what's better: Super Sculpey or Apoxie? Wanna know about Super Glue vs Elmers? Have a WIP that you are working on? Then post here.
Professor
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

A Couple of Questions

Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:02 am

I have two projects in the works and just need a bit of advice.

First, I am really excited about. It is a custom project that got me into customizing. I purchased a clearance Cable and Marvel Girl Walmart 2-pack just to use Marvel Girl's hands, years ago. I am finally getting to wrapping up the project. I had to sand down the wrist pegs to get the hands to fit but they do not move smoothly and I fear tearing the peg. What do folks use to lubricate swivel joints?

Second, I am getting ready to start of project using the Legends suit body (thanks again Samael13). I plan to do some painting and had originally planned to paint as is. Now, I am thinking I might disassemble the body and spray some of the pieces. Any tips/tricks on taking the suit body apart? Can you boil and pop at the shoulders or does the torso need to be cracked?

Thanks everyone!
tetragene
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Re: A Couple of Questions

Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:33 pm

1) if the wrist fit is so tight that you fear swiveling will tear it I would probably consider boiling & popping it out then using a dremel bit to make the forearm hole for the wrist a smidge wider (carefully/slowly so you don't over do it). That would be easier to correct than sanding down the wrist peg any further (unless your goal is multiple swappable hands & they all need the same peg & hole size). If its that tight already I'm not sure that lubricating it would help long-term

2) unfortunately the shoulders can't be boiled/popped so the torso has to be cracked. I'm also unsure if they have used the softer plastic on the hip pieces of any suited bodies like they have with most newer releases yet, so the crotch may need to be cracked too. The good thing is that the suit jacket covers pretty much all of the seam areas on the torso (& I think crotch piece) so you wouldn't have to be a perfectionist about sculpting over the holes drilled, you can just make them passable.
Professor
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:22 pm

Thanks for your insights! Couple of follow-ups:

The stem of the fist fits in nicely but as I rotate there seems to be a sticking point. I can pop the hands in out without heating up. As I rotate it though I am not sure what it is catching on. The hole and the stem seem smooth, hence why I thought a lubricant might work.

Which dremel bit is the best for that application? I have a nice carving bit I use for the socket in heads but I think that would be too wide in the arm?
tetragene
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:35 pm

1) hmm -- that is odd that it can be removed easily/with no issues, but when inserted has trouble twisting -- that would make me thing its too tight in the forearm where the peg mushrooms a bit, but if you can easily remove it that can't be the case. I'm not familiar with lubricants to use, but maybe trying some vaseline on the peg to see if that makes a difference so you don't have to worry about seepage or staining & it won't dissipate? If there is still resistance then I would just try some light dremeling of the wrist hole on the forearm.

I bought a dremel bit set that had those rounded dentist bur things in a bunch of different sizes, The next to smallest one from my set I've used to lightly hollow out places like the wrist holes -- if your dremel has slow settings even better, I got it years ago at Lowe's, but you can probably find them cheaper on Amazon or eBay.

2) also a reminder on the torso cracking -- make sure to let the figure cool down before cracking it -- a heated figure is more likely to warp as I have learned from ruining a figure

Return to “Custom Shop Talk”