Pro-Wrestling Discussion

What makes Fwoosh culture? Food, clothes, random thoughts, whatever - this is the place to talk about it.
Boy Wonder
Attempting to Avoid the Void
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Pro-Wrestling Discussion

Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:24 am

In my 20 years as a die hard wrestling fan who has watched basically everything imaginable, I don’t knowing I’ve seen a more poorly executed finish than that “ring explosion” from the barbed wire death match. Which is a shame because the match itself was fun.
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:10 am

Yeah, that was... that was a nightmare at the end. I saw an instagram video that an audience member filmed with Moxley in the ring after the cameras were off saying he wasn't surprised Omega built a crappy exploding ring. Well... okay, whatever, at least that was something.

I was wincing in embarrassment after the sparklers fizzled out and felt uncomfortable watching it unfold. Really, it's primarily Kingston's unbelievable reaction and the fact that the announcers couldn't in turn change trajectory that made it just astronomically worse. It seems like Kingston had ear plugs in, and obviously he was covering his face, so my assumption was that he couldn't improvise an appropriate response because maybe he just flat out didn't know what a dud it was? Possibly? You're wearing ear plugs, you hear a muffled pop, feel the thump from something going off, but never see it... how could you know any different? If he had seen it, maybe the dud could have been salvaged by him getting up, grabbing a mic, and calling out Omega.

However, if he did know what a dud it was, or understood it pretty quickly, it's beyond ridiculous that he just went along without taking charge and adjusting. That's how the business operates, you recover from botches and have to have a keen mind to adjust and adapt.

Whatever. It's a Shockmaster-type of moment for the annals of Wrestling History, and little more. Truthfully, I haven't been this second-hand embarrassed for a wrestling moment since... christ, maybe the Old Day segment on Raw a few years ago?
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:03 am

Been catching up on a lot of wrestling lately. Why the [email protected]#$ is Shane McMahon still WRESTLING people? What the hell is wrong with the people running WWE that they can have a roster THAT deep and still be getting Shane to wrestle instead? It's awful.
KnightDamien

Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:32 pm

Just started watching Wrestlemania. Man, they are trying SO hard to make it out to be like Hulk isn't a racist piece of shit. WWE is just such an insanely disappointing company on so many levels.
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:40 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:32 pm
Just started watching Wrestlemania. Man, they are trying SO hard to make it out to be like Hulk isn't a racist piece of shit. WWE is just such an insanely disappointing company on so many levels.
Did you notice that every time Titus spoke they cheered and every time Hulk spoke they boo'd? I wonder if WWE will try to edit that out for future showings.

The Fiend entrance was perhaps one of the coolest over. Their match was extremely, extremely, weak, though. And that was before the "finish". I know they are building toward something now with Fiend and Bliss, but man, was that match was underwhelming.

The triple-threat was [email protected]#$ amazing, though. DB looked super-strong several times, which made me happy. I would have put money down that Edge was pinning DB so Reigns would still look strong.

The worst match was easily the female tag match on Saturday to determine the challengers. So many frikken' botches. Good lord.

Overall, though, most matches were very good. Rollins/Cesaro & KO/Zayn were both vying for best 'Mania match. It seems so seldom that they let Zayn show just how damn good he is.

Lashley and McIntire was a good match too, but Sasha vs. Bianca was a better match. Though I do credit a large amount of that to Sasha just being so damn good.

Biggest crime of it all was Bayley not having a frikken' match. Once she was able to drop that damn bubblegum act, she's become one of the best on the mic and in the ring.
KnightDamien

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:58 am

TFitz wrote: Did you notice that every time Titus spoke they cheered and every time Hulk spoke they boo'd? I wonder if WWE will try to edit that out for future showings.
You have to wonder? They spent like two years piping in fake cheers for Roman Reigns; they will absolutely edit the response to Hogan.

TFitz wrote: The Fiend entrance was perhaps one of the coolest over. Their match was extremely, extremely, weak, though. And that was before the "finish". I know they are building toward something now with Fiend and Bliss, but man, was that match was underwhelming.
Let's be real; every Orton match is underwhelming because he's a boring-as-hell wrestler. He immediately lowers the quality of every match he's in. Also, did you hear how hard the crowd boo'd that finish? What the [email protected]#$ was WWE thinking? I don't care if they're building some terrible storyline here -- they have consistently (and the crowd is aware of this) bitched Wyatt out to his opponent every time he's gotten a terrible gimmick over with the audience.
That guy, who I had almost no respect for in his NXT days, was given a few different personas that would have killed the careers of guys that couldn't really engage that storytelling aspect of the business, and instead Wyatt has knocked it out of the park every time. And every time they just senselessly feed him to an opponent and kill his momentum.
Terrible booking, as usual with WWE.
His entrance was pretty great, though.

TFitz wrote: The worst match was easily the female tag match on Saturday to determine the challengers. So many frikken' botches. Good lord.
The fact that Mandy [email protected]#$ Rose and Dana [email protected]#$ Brooke are in a Wrestlemania match is evidence that BIG JOHNNY is back in charge of booking. Those two shouldn't even be allowed in a [email protected]#$ wrestling ring in a high school gymnasium, let alone at Wrestlemania (but there's no place for Bayley?! [email protected]#$ off). But yes, that match was garbage.

The weird thing is.. WWE has a lot of really strong female wrestlers and they give the most ring time to the worst ones. No Bayley, but there's time for Mandy, Dana, and Nia? Three of the worst female wrestlers in the entire industry. It's disgusting. And Alexa Bliss is playing glorified valet.

TFitz wrote: Overall, though, most matches were very good. Rollins/Cesaro & KO/Zayn were both vying for best 'Mania match. It seems so seldom that they let Zayn show just how damn good he is.
I actually didn't like Rollins/Cesaro. It felt short and ... I don't know.. meaningless? But, to be fair, I also have hated the build-up for this match. It feels so forced and I just can't make myself care. Honestly, I love Cesaro as a wrestler, but as a character I don't think WWE will ever convince me to care about him after all the time they've spent shitting on him in the midcards.

KO/Zayn was great.

TFitz wrote: Lashley and McIntire was a good match too, but Sasha vs. Bianca was a better match. Though I do credit a large amount of that to Sasha just being so damn good.
I don't like Lashley as a wrestler. Not to the level of dislike I have for Brock, but I just don't care about him and I'd rather just not ever have to see him again. I also think de-strapping McIntyre was a mistake to begin with. Would have liked to see him dominate for quite a bit longer. He's earned it and he has all the tools to make a great long-term champ.

Sasha/Bianca might have been close to match of the event. Which is.. kind of sad because I don't think Bianca is that good. And I honestly hate that she won. But Banks can do no wrong. That lady can just put on a damn fine match against almost anyone, and Bianca held her end really well on this one.

The Triple Threat was excellent. I love DB and Edge. But .. again.. WWE is never going to get me to give a [email protected]#$ about Reigns. They took too long to turn him, spent so long force-feeding him to fans as the new Cena that I don't love to hate him.. I just hate him. I don't even think he's a bad wrestler (although I wouldn't accuse him of being 'good' either). But seeing him with that title that they spent years demanding I be excited he have makes me sick.

When a typical AEW Dynamite is better than the entirety of Wrestlemania, maybe it's time to start firing the people doing your booking because they just don't know how to use the talent at all. Nor how to trim the shit out of the locker room.
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:09 am

Yeah, Wyatt is a performer. I think he would be a top guy anywhere else, just like he should be a top guy in WWE. I'd watch another promotion just to see what he's doing. There's only a handful of wrestlers I can say that about.

Mandy, Dana, Lana, & Nia all need to go. I'd almost put Billie Kay on that list too, but I think it's just her annoying personality which legit annoys me. :lol: Still legit mad that they couldn't get Bayley a match. W.T.F.

I like Lashley as a wrestler. He's shit on the mic though. MVP is the only reason he's champ. I wasn't sure who I wanted to win the match, as I think Lashley has earned a good run, but when McIntire lost, I realized I actually did want him to win.

I also think Reigns has finally found a good "character" for him. It took me a couple months to get his new persona, but I actually think it works for him. He does it well IMO. This is the most I've liked him. Heyman staring at him in that frikken' stupid way, non-stop, still annoys the [email protected]#$ out of me.
KnightDamien

Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:27 am

TFitz wrote: I also think Reigns has finally found a good "character" for him. It took me a couple months to get his new persona, but I actually think it works for him. He does it well IMO. This is the most I've liked him. Heyman staring at him in that frikken' stupid way, non-stop, still annoys the [email protected]#$ out of me.
He's just a $%^@*&!# Superman instead of a smiling Superman. That pinning two guys at once thing is so lame. It immediately shows that you just want this guy to look like the greatest in the world no matter what. It pisses me off that of all the amazingly talented wrestlers over the years, Roman has limited ring skills and limited mic skills and they just treat him like he's made of gold.
But I do agree that the smug, arrogant shithead character works really well for Reigns (who I've heard is actually a great guy in real life, so I'm not saying he 'deserves' the jerk role). It's just, in my opinion, too little too late, and not different enough from how they've always forced him down our throats. Really.. all WWE did was spend years arguing with fans and then finally say 'fine, he'll be a $%^@*&!#... but he's still going to be champion Superman.'

Also, I think Heyman is over-rated. That's my wrestling hot take.
He's a decent guy on the mic, but it only really matters when you've got someone you need to push that sucks on the mic. What else has he accomplished for anyone? Punk's 'Heyman Guy' run was the worst run Punk ever had in the company. Heyman couldn't get over any of the lower-tier guys he was put with, like Mr. Perfect's kid (who was actually very talented). Heyman's great success is what... being a mouthpiece for the silly-voiced steroid baby? Big whoop.
I honestly think Reigns would be better without him.

TFitz wrote: I like Lashley as a wrestler. He's shit on the mic though. MVP is the only reason he's champ. I wasn't sure who I wanted to win the match, as I think Lashley has earned a good run, but when McIntire lost, I realized I actually did want him to win.
Lashley is .. fine. I don't necessarily think he's a bad wrestler. I just don't care about him at all and I don't find him fun to watch. And I've actually always really enjoyed Drew's work. His shticks pre-firing were always terrible, so he was never able to stand out much. But he was always really talented with great energy. Drew reminds me a lot of what Diesel could have been if Nash was a better wrestler and less fragile.

TFitz wrote: Mandy, Dana, Lana, & Nia all need to go. I'd almost put Billie Kay on that list too, but I think it's just her annoying personality which legit annoys me. :lol: Still legit mad that they couldn't get Bayley a match. W.T.F.
No, I could add Billie to that list easily. I loved the Iconics, conceptually. But Royce carried that team in the ring. And for some reason Kay seemed to get more of the love from corporate the entire time - despite being weaker than Royce in every respect. Now that they've split, Kay's weaknesses are even more apparent.
I don't think she's Mandy/Dana/Lana/Nia level of bad. Those four have proven that they will NEVER get better. They don't have the skill or the drive, and it's very clear they don't even give a shit. I don't necessarily see that in Kay. I think she just got called up too early and that made her arrogant about her 'ability.'
TFitz wrote: Yeah, Wyatt is a performer. I think he would be a top guy anywhere else, just like he should be a top guy in WWE. I'd watch another promotion just to see what he's doing. There's only a handful of wrestlers I can say that about.
100%
And I will never, ever, ever understand how WWE brass gets off on telling wrestlers to work hard and get themselves over, and then buries them when they actually do it. They've actively tried to kill Wyatt's career several times, it would seem. And all he's doing is making characters work - much like Undertaker did years ago - on a level they probably never expected. Dude is money. You'd THINK they'd want to foster that and take him off the leash. Instead they just want to punish him or something. I don't get it.

And why they decided Alexa Bliss should be a glorified valet for him when she is an excellent wrestler and had a thriving run beforehand.. I don't get. Maybe there was an injury I'm not aware of and they wanted to keep her on TV without making her wrestle? Otherwise I really can't fathom why you'd take her out of the various title pictures. Especially, and same with Bayley, in favor of the ladies we mentioned before.
SalemCrow
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:12 am

KnightDamien wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:27 am
And why they decided Alexa Bliss should be a glorified valet for him when she is an excellent wrestler and had a thriving run beforehand.. I don't get. Maybe there was an injury I'm not aware of and they wanted to keep her on TV without making her wrestle? Otherwise I really can't fathom why you'd take her out of the various title pictures. Especially, and same with Bayley, in favor of the ladies we mentioned before.
I'm pretty sure Bliss has had a few concussions, which is part of why she hasn't wrestled a whole lot lately.

I worked both nights, so I couldn't watch it (if I even subscribed to Peacock, which I didn't), but I did watch/read reviews.

A rumor I saw was that Vinnie Mac changed the finish to the Orton/Bray match, as the rumor before the weekend was that Orton was getting squashed in a regular match.
Sidetrip
HULK SMASH!

Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:02 am

That time of year, WWE has been releasing people today. Bo Dallas, Billie Kay, Peyton Royce, Tucker, Kalisto, Mojo Rowley, Wesley Blake, Mickie James, Chelsea Green, and Samoa Joe.
DetectiveHoag
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:21 am

Sidetrip wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:02 am
That time of year, WWE has been releasing people today. Bo Dallas, Billie Kay, Peyton Royce, Tucker, Kalisto, Mojo Rowley, Wesley Blake, Mickie James, Chelsea Green, and Samoa Joe.
Okay, now you’re just pulling names from the phone book.
Sidetrip
HULK SMASH!

Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:00 am

TFitz
Master of Avatars

Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:12 pm

So they keep Dana, and let Peyton go. That makes total sense. How the [email protected]#$ can they see Dana as a money maker over Peyton? Seriously, w.t.f.

Bo Dallas was wasted potential.

Samoa Joe... mixed feelings. He's got skills, no doubt, but he's hurt several people and been quite injury prone himself the last few years, and then the concussions... Still, I was fine with his commentary.

Chelsea had a single match in WWE and got injured, so she never really got a shot. Tucker seemed solid, but I don't think I saw him wrestle in a single match after he got split from Otis.

Honestly, most of these let go won't be missed, but I think Peyton had a ton of potential.
KnightDamien

Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:15 am

SalemCrow wrote: I'm pretty sure Bliss has had a few concussions, which is part of why she hasn't wrestled a whole lot lately.
Okay, yeah. I thought it might be something like that. Sucks, because I really love Bliss's in-ring work. Not that she isn't great as a character, of course.

SalemCrow wrote: A rumor I saw was that Vinnie Mac changed the finish to the Orton/Bray match, as the rumor before the weekend was that Orton was getting squashed in a regular match.
The dirt sheets were saying that Vince changed at least three finishes anywhere from the day before to even just an hour before the actual matches were on deck. Which is crazy. I honestly think Vince has lost it and shouldn't be in charge anymore. His frantic, erratic micro-managing has only served to hurt the product for years now.

TFitz wrote: So they keep Dana, and let Peyton go. That makes total sense. How the [email protected]#$ can they see Dana as a money maker over Peyton? Seriously, w.t.f.
I absolutely am not saying this is the case - but it certainly elevates those rumors that particular women on the roster only stay there because of what they're willing to do backstage. Again, I'm not saying it's true - but when you make seemingly insane decisions like this you're asking for those types of suggestions because people are trying to rationalize something that otherwise makes absolutely no sense.
And yeah.. Dana is [email protected]#$ garbage. So is Nia. So is Mandy. So is Lana. Those four girls have such massive potential to seriously injure someone (hell, Nia already has done so several times). Why they have jobs at all is mystifying.

But most of that list is stuff anyone could/should have seen coming. Peyton is a huge surprise because, as you said, she has tons of potential. It's also really shocking they'd let James go since it's always good to keep people on the roster that have loads of experience and built-in fan reaction. We may complain about them taking up spots, but we also do love to see 'Legends.' And James qualifies.

Chelsea had potential but she got hurt and so never had the chance to impress Vince before he took out the red marker. Samoa Joe was garbage. Over-hyped, dangerous asshole and not nearly good enough on commentary to be worth a salary -- he's basically just.. Taz. Tucker was mediocre and didn't show a lot of promise to be anything more than lower mid-card. Billie Kay was not the least talented on the roster by any stretch, but she's not a real loss to the company either.
Let's be honest, who even remembered that Blake, Rowley, and Kalisto even existed? Exactly.

Bo Dallas is a LITTLE surprising only because one of the big rumors was that Bliss was bringing him in as a foil for Bray, ala a straight redo of 'Taker v. Bearer/Kane because WWE hasn't had a new idea in 20 years. So either that was never actually going to happen or they nixed the idea last minute for some reason. Neither would be surprising. Honestly.. Bo was an average wrestler with almost zero charisma.

It's also not surprising that they dumped a bunch of dead weight very shortly after AEW was publicly saying that they're being more careful going forward not to become the place where all the ex-WWE talent goes and aren't looking to keep hiring WWE's cast-offs. WWE seemed more reticent before that statement, probably afraid AEW would jump on anyone they let go in the hopes of getting some hype.
Sidetrip
HULK SMASH!

Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:51 pm

Per WWE.com Strowman, Black, Murphy, Lana,Riott, and Santana Garrett released. This company makes no sense.

Return to “The Bar With No Name”

Recent Topics