Why have they not made <blank> in Black Series yet?

MAY THE TOYS BE WITH YOU! - Star Wars Black series both 6 inch and 3 and 3/4, vintage, POTF2, whatever! If it's a toy related to Star Wars then come talk about it!
MarcelDuchamp
Super Poseable
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Why have they not made <blank> in Black Series yet?

Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:51 pm

Kenobi wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:33 pm
There is no market for ST merch. It all historically bombed. All clearanced. Even the toy companies say it.

That seems like a generalization to me. Plenty of OT and even Mandalorian figures have peg warmed too. Plenty of ST figures have sold.
Kenobi
Customized

Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:14 pm

MarcelDuchamp wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:51 pm
Kenobi wrote:
There is no market for ST merch. It all historically bombed. All clearanced. Even the toy companies say it.

That seems like a generalization to me. Plenty of OT and even Mandalorian figures have peg warmed too. Plenty of ST figures have sold.
It is not a generalization. Do your research. Check the financials of peak ST times. All time lows or unreported because of low sales. DST president confirmed that ST sales were very low. Hot Toys ST sales were so bad some are still available now and they didn’t even make main characters, they cut back massively because of poor sales. ST merch was on clearance at various stores. ST sold so bad for the first time ever there was no 3.75” line for a movie. It was a merchandise failure on all fronts. Only now Star Wars sales are up, thanks to The Mandalorian.

My guess is the ST will be retconned because Disney knows it has no term standing value for merch sales.
Grins
Avengers Assemble

Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:28 pm

supreme-d
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:29 am

Kenobi wrote:
Can you link the article(s) where companies (Hasbro, Jakks, etc) stated the sequel trilogy merchandise has no market?

I’ve read comments that the merchandise was released too far ahead of the movies an consumers lost interest. I’ve read that toy sales in general were down during the same period, and the closure of Toys’r’Us hurt sales. I’ve even read that the glut or star wars merchandise from the rapid release of the sequel movies was overwhelming and demand was not allowed to build up as it had for TFA. But I have never read anything from a company holding the license to make star wars toys stating that the sequel trilogy has no market for merchandise.

Also, are people including Solo in the ST? What about the Mandalorian?
The Gill-Man
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:43 am

christianpyro wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 2:12 pm
They have yet to make any Cantina Aliens besides Greedo. I find that really surprising. Especially since Greedo was part of wave 1, and I assumed was a sign of things to come. The Cantina scene is arguably one of the most famous scenes in Star Wars. It got so much attention and fanfare when the film was initially released in 1977. Figures like Hammerhead and Ponda Bobba are classic Star Wars, and an important part of the franchise.

Of all the major speaking roles, I feel like a Prequal Yoda, Watto, Nute Gunray, and Wicket are missing. As well as variations of Padme. Boss Nass, Sebulba, and Dexter Jettster might be a tier below those as well.
I was literally going to say pretty much everything you did here! I'm rather shocked that there haven't been more characters from the Cantina. Also rather surprising that there are so few representations from Jabba's palace. How on earth Wicket hasn't been made, nor has prequel Yoda, is just beyond me.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:34 am

supreme-d wrote:
I wouldn't. Those and Rogue One are obviously post-Disney purchase, but I wouldn't lump them in with the ST. I don't consider myself a ST hater or what have you, though I definitely lament a lot of missed opportunities with that trilogy. That said, I enjoyed Rogue One and Solo, Mandalorian of course... I even liked Force Awakens at first. I feel like the last movie could have made the first and second better if done properly, but they went a different way with it.
supreme-d
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:21 am

Ru_1977 wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:34 am
supreme-d wrote:
I wouldn't. Those and Rogue One are obviously post-Disney purchase, but I wouldn't lump them in with the ST. I don't consider myself a ST hater or what have you, though I definitely lament a lot of missed opportunities with that trilogy. That said, I enjoyed Rogue One and Solo, Mandalorian of course... I even liked Force Awakens at first. I feel like the last movie could have made the first and second better if done properly, but they went a different way with it.
I generally agree the sequels left a lot to be desired, especially the last film. I actually liked the Last Jedi because it subverted expectations. Rogue One was my favorite Star Wars movie ever though, and a lot of the merchandise for that sat around on store shelves. I also think Solo had products that sat around for a while.

I guess my point was that I dont think anything is inherently unappealing about a product because it’s from a particular piece of Star Wars media. I think some of the problem is the selection that was offered by companies for some lines. But because they can get away with it, they blame their losses on critical reception to the movie instead of examining the flaws in their own product . When it comes to Hasbro figures , it would be better to judge the figures by their individual merits (or even the waves) instead of lumping all the sequel products together. Even then, the products aimed at kids (5 poa stuff) seemed to sell just fine. I dont think it’s really the sequel films’ fault that no one wanted to pay full price for Finn in disguise.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:45 am

supreme-d wrote:
I generally agree the sequels left a lot to be desired, especially the last film. I actually liked the Last Jedi because it subverted expectations. Rogue One was my favorite Star Wars movie ever though, and a lot of the merchandise for that sat around on store shelves. I also think Solo had products that sat around for a while.
I wasn't sure how I felt about Last Jedi after first seeing it, but came around pretty well after I watched it a second time. I got what they were doing and part of me felt like a third film wasn't even necessary after that. I'm still not used to Star Wars having flashbacks and slow motion though.

Rogue One is my favorite Star Wars movie of the new crop though, for sure.
supreme-d wrote:
I guess my point was that I dont think anything is inherently unappealing about a product because it’s from a particular piece of Star Wars media. I think some of the problem is the selection that was offered by companies for some lines. But because they can get away with it, they blame their losses on critical reception to the movie instead of examining the flaws in their own product . When it comes to Hasbro figures , it would be better to judge the figures by their individual merits (or even the waves) instead of lumping all the sequel products together. Even then, the products aimed at kids (5 poa stuff) seemed to sell just fine. I dont think it’s really the sequel films’ fault that no one wanted to pay full price for Finn in disguise.
And I think some figures would probably do well. There seems to be some clamoring for Finn and Poe from the last movie, and I would be into that if I hadn't unloaded all but two of my ST figures. Normally I am fine getting cool or interesting figures from a movie I don't like, or even characters I like from a bad movie, but that last installment really soiled the trilogy for me. Like I said, it could have really tied everything together and been amazing, but it was simply a breakneck race to get the thing. I know the trilogy still has its fans and hopefully I can get there one day where I can appreciate them better.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: Why have they not made in Black Series yet?

Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:41 am

Roufuss wrote:Super weird how we haven’t gotten Starkiller yet, but we have troopers from the game.
That's cause Galen would require alot of new tooling and sculpt, lightsaber sculpt, and they would have to figure out which outfit(s) to do. And if they would add extra blades to make it so you can choose your own. Not to mention hes technically not canon for the moment. The troopers are mostly, if not completely, repacks with new decos. Why make a new figure and sell it for $25 when you can just use the old figures and also charge $25 for slightly more paint or different plastic? And any Stormtrooper can be canon.

But there are alot of glaring omissions in this line. The reason for some are because they're not canon anymore. And I can't be 100% sure, but I'm almost positive at one point a few years ago someone from Hasbro said most of, if not all, the EU stuff was off limits. They had to focus on movies, and only stuff Disney recognizes as canon. But my memory could be wrong. But I'm sure, that has been lifted, or at least is not as strict as it used to be, if it was the case. Especially with how much the merchandise failed for the ST. With Mara Jade, among many others, coming back to canon in the future, I'm sure we'll get figures of them around their live action debuts.

As for the rest, I'm sure it's mainly about the new parts needed. So far alot of SW recently has been retools or repaints. Most of the PT Jedi would need alot of new parts. Alot of the Cantina and Jabbas Palace aliens would need alot of new parts. Especially for background characters. Maybe eventually we will get some of them, but it'll probably be really spread out. And I would bet on anything with a lightsaber over anything with a saxophone.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:36 pm

Trunks3540 wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:41 am
I'm almost positive at one point a few years ago someone from Hasbro said most of, if not all, the EU stuff was off limits.
Definitely not all given Darth Revan and Nihilus, or the comic figures they just did. But of course stuff like Starkiller or Darth Talon etc it would make sense. And I totally agree on the repaint/new tooling argument. Maybe Starkiller could be a deluxe release if they do alternate blades like you said. Seems like he is still pretty popular even without being canon anymore.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:31 pm

Well Revan and the KotoR stuff is now possibly canon supposedly, cause it doesn't interfere with Disney's plans for the series, and Revan's lightsaber crystal was an Easter egg in Luke's tree or museum in TLJ. The comics that were for KotoR aren't canon I believe. But the games themselves, as well as Old Republic, are still considered canon, according to some. There's even talk of a live action adaptation coming of the KotoR story. So far no details have been released, but it seems Revan may make a live action appearance in the next few years. Keanu Reeves was mentioned in the casting discussion but I'm not sure if it was offered to him, or his name was just brought up. Hence why I believe him and Nihilus were able to get figures so easily.

As for other characters, Mara Jade is reportedly coming to live action, with a few actresses names being thrown around as possible candidates. And I read somewhere that one of the directors somewhere may try to bring back Galen. If the games themselves aren't canon, at least the character could be, at a later date. But that one is just rumor. The Mara Jade is alot more likely since they mentioned both Karen Gillan and Brie Larson on the list of possible actresses for the role. According to some sources (I think it was a novel or a wiki entry) Kyle Katarn and his student from the Jedi Academy game were also some of the Jedi that Ben Solo killed in Luke's school pre TFA. So some of the EU characters seem to be trickling back into canon. But I would think some are more likely then others to actually make it. And not everything on the internet can be trusted. So alot of that may just be complete shit. But its stuff I've read around the webs while looking up other things. While TFU games probably won't be brought back to canon, the character itself could, and possibly just have a somewhat different backstory and plot arc. Considering Sam Witwer is on Disney's payroll for everything Darth Maul, it wouldn't be hard to get him to play the live action version methinks. And I don't think it was gonna be him as the sole focus of the project. More like he would just make an appearance or be a side character. Possibly even just a cameo.

supreme-d
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:16 pm

Trunks3540 wrote:
According to some sources (I think it was a novel or a wiki entry) Kyle Katarn and his student from the Jedi Academy game were also some of the Jedi that Ben Solo killed in Luke's school pre TFA. So some of the EU characters seem to be trickling back into canon.
I can’t express how disappointed I would be if Kyle Katarn went from an integral part of rebel alliance’s ability to destroy the death star and reform the Jedi order to random guy that emo Vader jr killed offscreen. Rather they just say “Kyle Katarn” was an alias that Cassian Andor used and leave it at that.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:01 pm

Trunks3540 wrote:
reportedly
You're saying this a lot but I wanted to clarify what the sources are. I follow rumors and such on reddit as much as anyone, but I don't put a whole lot of stock in them until something official. Or it seems like something legitimately came from a few sources (as in: not one site saying it and two others quoting them).
MarcelDuchamp
Super Poseable

Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:15 pm

I am skeptical of Mara Jade and Kyle Katarn being reintroduced into Canon, but not at all opposed. Both are very deserving of Black Series figures regardless.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:43 pm

I've been looking for the place I read about Katarn being in Luke's new order and Ben killing him and Jaden but I can't for life of me find it. So maybe there's hope for him and that page was either discredited, taken down, or otherwise purged. I'll continue to look, but I wasn't super thrilled about him dying there either so if it is gone that means he should still be fair game and could make an appearance in the future, maybe with Mara and Jaden. I believe it was a wiki page of some sort and it only referenced him in passing anyway, since the actual page was about Jaden and how Katarn sacrificed himself somehow to let some of the students escape or some such. It was a while ago when I found it. And I can't find any more about it. So it's probably gone. Again, alot you read on the interwebs should be taken as rumor more then fact lol.

*edit* found it

https://star-wars-canon-extended.fandom ... yle_Katarn

https://star-wars-canon-extended.fandom ... Jaden_Korr

"Fall of the New Jedi

These missions would take Kyle around the galaxy, to planets such as Yavin 4, and have him face off against foes such as Dark Jedi, or even Sith cults such as the Disciples of Ragnos, whom hoped to honor the legacy of the ancient Dark Lord, Marka Ragnos. In the decades following the Galactic Civil War, Luke Skywalker would allow his nephew Ben Solo to receive training to become a Jedi. Ben was consumed with rage, and as such was manipulated by the person known as Snoke to turn against the New Jedi Order with a group of followers known as the Knights of Ren. This form of attack left the New Jedi Order vulnerable as they never thought this kind of threat level to be possible from one of their own, especially from one who was raised by heroes of the Alliance to Restore the Republic. Ben Solo was reborn as the evil Kylo Ren, who with his Knights of Ren slaughtered the Jedi both young and old and did not stop until they were dead.
Kyle was among the experienced Jedi who stood his ground against the Knights of Ren, he lasted against most Knights but proved to be no match for Kylo who finished Kyle off. Kyle's efforts were not in vein as Luke Skywalker managed to escape though heart broken at leaving Kyle and so many others behind. Katarn was in pain after facing Kylo Ren, who left Kyle alive only so he could answer where Skywalker would go into hiding. After refusing to tell Kylo the whereabouts of any surviving Jedi and making peace with the Force, Kylo struck him down with his Lightsaber and ending Kyle's life. Kyle's body may have died but he utilized the lessons that Yoda had taught him to become immortal. As a spirit Katarn would act as a guide to those lost with a connection to the Force, helping them the same way the spirits of the old Jedi helped him. Katarn would be remembered as a hero who sacrificed himself to ensure the survival of the Jedi legacy."

That is the most important entry connecting him to the sequel trilogy. But reading both pages for him and Jaden give a bigger picture.

Return to “Yavin 4: The Unofficial Star Wars Toy Board”