Fwoosh GI Joe Classified Top Ten Vote

YO JOE! Whether it's the 6-inch Classified Series or 3.75 from various years, let's talk G.I.Joe!
NORM
My Thread USED to be Bigger Than Yours
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Fwoosh GI Joe Classified Top Ten Vote

Mon May 17, 2021 3:50 pm

http://thefwoosh.com/2021/05/official-f ... vote-2021/

I went with:

Shipwreck

Alpine

Bazooka

Tomax

Xamot

Leatherneck

Wet Suit

Cover Girl

Chuckles

Stalker
The Scream Man
Throw Another DCUC on the Barbie!

Re: Fwoosh GI Joe Classified Top Ten Vote

Mon May 17, 2021 4:49 pm

I had actually JUST made a Top 10 of these in a FB group. BUT; Here is the one I posted for the Top 10:
Lowlight

Outback

Cover Girl

Ally Viper

General Hawk

Mainframe

Lifeline

Stalker

Blackout

Shooter

This was the Top 10 I posted with reasons earlier on FB:
01- Lowlight/Shooter (Coz I really want a Joe Sniper, and he's my favorite one, but she would be a great way to add a cool female character)
02- Outback (My favorite Joe character. In my head, he's Australian )
03- Cover Girl (Ideally with a vehicle of some kind would be awesome)
04- Ally Viper (My favorite Cobra Trooper)
05- General Hawk (Similar style to the POC one ideally, though Id guess it would be more like the first "General" version)
06- Mainframe/Dialtone (Either one as a computer ops guy works for me)
07- Lifeline/Doc (He was always my medic. plus he could come with some AWSOME Sci Fi medical gear! But Doc could also work. Hell, maybe combine the two; Doc with more Lifeline-esque gear)
08- Stalker (Again, like the POC one ideally)
09- Blackout (Cobra needs a Sniper too)
10- A Female Cobra (Ideally a soldier of some kind, be they trooper or new character. Just someone cool.
Thatman
Avengers Assemble

Mon May 17, 2021 5:12 pm

This is purely an academic exercise, since I never see the line at retail anyway. :) My list:

Sci-Fi (all time favorite Joe character)
Hawk
Stalker
Shipwreck

Tomax
Xamot
Dr. Mindbender
Crimson Guard
Alley-Viper (Supposedly already coming, but we'll see)
B.A.T.

(Oh, and a re-release of the Viper wouldn't go amiss!)
supreme-d
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 17, 2021 5:13 pm

I’m not signing up for a Discus account to vote.

That said, I just wanted to comment early that they really should use the version # when asking for specific figures, and suggest a specific naming convention to follow (ex “Storm Shadow [v. 7]” for the GI Joe vs Cobra figure that came in the 2-pack). Years are a bad way to designate look since multiple versions of some characters can come out in one year. Identifying them by names such as “Hooded” doesn’t work for all looks since not all outfit descriptions are concise.

The author should specify how to identify versions in the article to prevent inconsistencies that will occur once people start voting. If you’re plugging the lists into a program, you’ll save yourself a lot of time cleaning the data by making the instructions more clear at the start.
Matthew K
nah, pass

Mon May 17, 2021 5:45 pm

Go vote! At this point I'm in for whatever they make because these are my favorite figures running right now, but I voted:

Rock 'N Roll

Chuckles

Stalker

Shipwreck

Cover Girl

Torch

Buzzer

Ripper

Zarana

Zandar

Today I'm feeling like Rock 'N Roll and Stalker are my top two most wanted figures and Clutch got edged out by cover girl for this list.
Prodigy
DC biased....but still allowed entry

Mon May 17, 2021 8:18 pm

supreme-d wrote:I’m not signing up for a Discus account to vote.

That said, I just wanted to comment earl..
Nope. Let me stop you right there. No need to comment. We got this. We've been doing this for years. It would be super difficult to go through and officially label a specific look to try and make people pick that label in their vote. They tend to not even read the rules anyway. We state nothing but brackets and every year we get parenthesis commas and numbers.

Plus like I said in the article voting for a specific look in this line is gonna be pretty useless . We're ultimately going to the get the modernized yet iconic feeling look that the classified line sticks to.

As far as the vote goes as I was typing out my example ballot I realized that I'm in for whatever they make at this point. I love the Joe characters and this line so much that it really doesn't matter and making a top ten would be like picking favorite children.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

supreme-d
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 17, 2021 10:04 pm

Prodigy wrote:
Nope. Let me stop you right there. No need to comment. We got this. We've been doing this for years. It would be super difficult to go through and officially label a specific look to try and make people pick that label in their vote.
Don’t know why the response to a suggestion was so flippant, but let me explain more clearly since you seem to have misunderstood.

I’ve been here, I’ve read the results and the votes in Discus. Just because you’ve been doing it for a while doesn't mean the process cant be improved. There are always going to be errors because people use inconsistent nomenclature, which is unavoidable for some properties. However, you’ve never done a GI Joe vote before (to my recollection), and the property is somewhat different from Marvel and Star Wars because the majority of existing figures already have a version # to distinguish from one another.

In my experience, GI Joes fans have typically identified the figures by their version number. Differentiating between Storm Shadow [Ninja Force] and Storm Shadow [v 3], Cobra Commander [Battle Armor] and Cobra Commander [Fred VII], or Deep Six [v 3] and Deep Six [Eco Warrior] could be difficult for those not already extremely familiar with the sub-lines.

I agree it would be difficult to make an official label for each character yourselves, but that’s not at all what I’m suggesting. I’m saying you should use the version # designations that people have used for years. You could put one or two sentences in the instructions and people would be able to figure it out. There’s a visual database on YoJoe.
Prodigy wrote:
They tend to not even read the rules anyway. We state nothing but brackets and every year we get parenthesis commas and numbers.

If youre arguing that no one adheres to the rules anyway, then why put any rules at all?

I’m kidding. The rules are posted there in the article to reduce the issues tabulating votes, obviously. Just because some people ignore the rules doesn’t mean everyone will. You realize that too, otherwise you wouldn’t have put the numbered rules at the bottom of the article. To leave it up to the individual voter to determine which designation is correct will split the votes for some characters (as you’ve observed in the past) and therefore the tabulations may not accurately reflect the votes. Junk in, junk out.
Prodigy wrote:
Plus like I said in the article voting for a specific look in this line is gonna be pretty useless . We're ultimately going to the get the modernized yet iconic feeling look that the classified line sticks to.
I noticed that in the article, and generally agree with you that the new figures will be whatever Hasbro redesigns, so voting only for characters might be more useful. But if that’s how you feel, then why allow version distinction in the votes? You could just say you wont count anything besides character names and save yourself some of the hassle of cleaning the data.

Also, even if we are likely to get modern reinterpretations, they are still (mostly) based on an existing look. Usually that inspiration is a figure. Telling people to use the version # would just make it so everyone was using the same language to identify a specific look, which is something you suggested voters do in your instructions.

This would obviously only help for 3 3/4” figures , but that’s a significant portion of the votes I’d bet.
Preacherpool
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Mon May 17, 2021 10:07 pm

I went heavy on the army builders because that is the best way to keep my interest while they work on supply. I mean, maybe Cobra Commander loans out specialty troopers to help pay for the mortgage on Cobra Island. Maybe it was a slow world domination day and Rita Repulsa needed some male strippers for a birthday party.
Longbowhunter
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 18, 2021 7:23 am

I’m too lazy to go back and edit my vote,but I forgot to nominate Fumbles. If Mattel can make Mo-Lar the Eternian Dentist Hasbro can absolutely give us Fumbles.
TheFallen
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 18, 2021 7:55 am

These are my most wanted;

Road Pig

Scrap Iron

Mercer

Outback

Chuckles

Repeater

Shadow Tracker

Zarana

Stalker

Gnawgahyde
MentalManipulator
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 19, 2021 1:43 am

Glad we have an official Top Ten vote. I went with:

Scarlett [Classic]

Cover Girl

Zarana

Jinx

Baroness [Crimson]

Storm Shadow [Classic]

Tomax

Xamot

Spirit

Snow Job
scribb
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 19, 2021 8:57 pm

I've always wondered if (parentheses) invalidates the [vote]?

And what are these {squiggly} ones called?
mr_mxyzptlk
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 20, 2021 12:42 am

While I agree in general that any designs will be their own new thing, they are clearly taking design cues from specific RAH figures in a number of cases. Roadblock is very close to his v2 look, and "Arctic" Storm Shadow is based on Ninja Force. One of my all time favorites is the H.E.A.T. Viper v2. I even did a sketch I shared in another thread a while back of a concept of a classified version. Taking the Cobra Trooper as a starting point I tweaked it and brought the elements I really liked over (Namely the bright toxic green uniform and the black "Judge Dredd" style mask/visor.) And lastly, I noticed several "cheaters" who are putting "Tomax and Xamot" as one character/vote. I just voted for Tomax, since one will inevitably lead to the other...but if you really want them, make them 2 of your votes. My opinion.
I had a hard time coming up with 10 I REALLY wanted or had-to-have. So I picked a mix of a few favorites, ones I had as a kid, and 10 that would round out for me a solid collection if that's all we were to get.

So with less preamble here's my votes.

1. Storm Shadow [classic] - I am taking nothing for granted in this line. I want a solid white Cobra Ninja SS

2. Baroness [black, navy, or crimson ] - Never got the CI version, want a chance at either a re release or that same sculpt repainted in one of three colors. No Guarantees in this line. I need a Baroness and the movie one ain't gonna cut it.

3. H.E.A.T. Viper [v2] - as discussed above

4. Ace - my favorite Joe; also he's a ginger like me. And pilots are always cool.

5. Night Creeper - one of the few troop builders we had as kids. And the kiddie line "movie" figure looks pretty good, just bring that to Classified.

6. Bulletproof- one I had as a kid

7. Shipwreck - just feel like he's "missing" from the Joe roster. I'd prefer the more modern tac vest beanie look over Village People Sailor Man

8. Tomax- only voted for one like unsaid above, as one leads to the other,also, I'm a stinker

9. Snow Storm [v2] - my first actual Joe. And the v2 was the one I had, plus he looks better with the blue and orange over straight orange

10. Iron Grenadier - thought I'd round out with another troop builder. Plus I loved the Sigma 6 version, and Destro needs some bodyguards

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Matthew K
nah, pass

Thu May 20, 2021 1:08 am

I'm really hoping that when they get to Rock 'N Roll they go with more of a machine gunner V1 style rather than the V2 with the bullet hat and gatling guns. Bullet Bandoliers > bullet hat.
The Scream Man
Throw Another DCUC on the Barbie!

Thu May 20, 2021 1:57 pm

Matthew K wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 1:08 am
I'm really hoping that when they get to Rock 'N Roll they go with more of a machine gunner V1 style rather than the V2 with the bullet hat and gatling guns. Bullet Bandoliers > bullet hat.
Im gonna do a big disagree on that one ol buddy. V1 RnR was a generic dude in a green shirt. V2 had 4 ridiculous, improbable gatling gun thingies. and a pump action rifle that he keeps strapped to his leg.

Thats how I like my Soldiers!

Return to “The Pit: The Unofficial G.I.Joe Board”