G.I. Joe Classified Series Special Missions: Cobra Island

YO JOE! Whether it's the 6-inch Classified Series or 3.75 from various years, let's talk G.I.Joe!
madflava
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: G.I. Joe Classified Series Special Missions: Cobra Island

Mon May 17, 2021 2:09 am

Well, I think stores around me are getting them because I see a 3 local listings. I called my local Target tonight and they have a 0 in back, 0 on floor, 2 on hand in their system. I wonder it they have it in the back but it isn't updated in the system. All other stores in my area are saying none in stock still.
Fly4v
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 17, 2021 2:10 am

Monty wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 1:46 am
PeetahPahkah wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 4:59 pm
I got to a Target about 30 mins after open yesterday, called on the way there. Employee said they had 6, but didn't seem willing to put one aside or anything (understandable), but implied they'd be on the toy aisle.

Got there, nothing on the peg.

An employee stocking the toy aisle has the cart with boxes on it, took a peek, nothing.

That specific Target will store "rare" toys behind the electronics counter, so I asked, nope, nothin.

As I'm going to leave, the guy stocking toys pops his head out from around the corner and is like "Hey man, you lookin' for GI Joe? I can only sell 1 person." And goes and got it out of the back. Super grateful, he was mad nice.

Left there and got to another Target as they opened. The local Hot Wheels guys were waiting at the door. Went to the back, and a local scalper was there. I just wanted a second for my friend that can't toy hunt due to auto immune issues. I guess the hot wheels guy/scalper have a guy that works at that store and he wasn't working, so they just went to leave (???) But I had an employee scan a picture of the barcode and she went and got the case. Secured a second for my friend.

SCALPER BOUGHT THE REST OF THE BOX. Passed him as I was leaving. Guess it didn't pull up as one per person and she sold him the rest. Such a bummer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just wanted to say how much I liked reading this. Nice to see you looking out for your friend with autoimmune issues. One of my kids has an autoimmune disease. I hope when she gets older she has friends that understand and are helpful. I haven't been in a Target or Walmart in over a year myself. This isn't me looking for help. I'm choosing that if Hasbro doesn't want my money they can just keep doing this.
Getting a figure for your friend is beyond cool :arrow: Just stay here for the positive waves. 8)

and highlights how wrong companies trying to goad people into stores during the current situation are.

My best friend has CF, diabetes... a whole laundry list of problems and would wear an Apollo Spacesuit right now if he could. This past year has been like every flu season. Going out... never, and touching nothing.

Yet, I can't even recommend getting something for him from Target. He hates them that much.
I will shop there just for the exclusive but he and his family will buy nothing from there.

And that is a great looking figure but I am waiting until GI Joe June to see what Hasbro does before they get my money. Even if it is through great stores like Dorkside and BBTS. :D
jonaskane
Runs Around in Tights

Mon May 17, 2021 2:19 am

None on eBay within 250 miles of me, so...maybe later this week.
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 17, 2021 3:17 am

My one piece of advice I can give here is that if you have any sort of local toy buying Facebook group, it might be worth looking into. Maybe mine is just unusually good, but I would not have Cobra Trooper, Beachhead, or Bludd if it weren't for that group, I never saw any of the above in stores. Network, chat, share pics of your collections, get your name out there, offer to help, don't pitch a fit if something falls through, let people know you're a good guy and I think you're more likely to get help. I know there's a LOT of competition in my area and I've been pretty fortunate. If it weren't for my toy and comic groups, I wouldn't be on social media at all.
nickvig
Avengers Assemble

Mon May 17, 2021 5:07 am

yojoebro82 wrote:My one piece of advice I can give here is that if you have any sort of local toy buying Facebook group, it might be worth looking into. Maybe mine is just unusually good, but I would not have Cobra Trooper, Beachhead, or Bludd if it weren't for that group, I never saw any of the above in stores. Network, chat, share pics of your collections, get your name out there, offer to help, don't pitch a fit if something falls through, let people know you're a good guy and I think you're more likely to get help. I know there's a LOT of competition in my area and I've been pretty fortunate. If it weren't for my toy and comic groups, I wouldn't be on social media at all.
That would be awesome if it wasn't Facebook. Lol.
The Scream Man
Throw Another DCUC on the Barbie!

Mon May 17, 2021 5:42 am

Facebooks groups have helped me get Joes, Legends and Transformers. I agree with yojoebro82, its well worth looking into.
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 17, 2021 11:59 am

nickvig wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 5:07 am
yojoebro82 wrote:My one piece of advice I can give here is that if you have any sort of local toy buying Facebook group, it might be worth looking into. Maybe mine is just unusually good, but I would not have Cobra Trooper, Beachhead, or Bludd if it weren't for that group, I never saw any of the above in stores. Network, chat, share pics of your collections, get your name out there, offer to help, don't pitch a fit if something falls through, let people know you're a good guy and I think you're more likely to get help. I know there's a LOT of competition in my area and I've been pretty fortunate. If it weren't for my toy and comic groups, I wouldn't be on social media at all.
That would be awesome if it wasn't Facebook. Lol.
Yes, I agree. For me it's strictly an outlet for toys...one of the better ones, unfortunately. Otherwise I would love to delete my account.
Leonardo T Dragon
Super Poseable

Mon May 17, 2021 2:55 pm

Honestly, the more I read about everyone's experiences with this line the more I think that Hasbro needs to go the route of NECA with some of their Turtles exclusives. Announce a preorder window, collect orders, and set your production run accordingly. Yes, there's a lag time between preorder and delivery but I was able to get Tokka & Rahzar and the 90's Accessory set with ZERO hassle. Zero.

Back in the 25th days, Joe was fun to collect. Finding product in stores wasn't a matter of "IF" so much as "WHEN". Now, with a single case of six hitting each Target and rampant reselling it's just not a fun hobby.
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Mon May 17, 2021 3:11 pm

We will see how much Hasbro is listening with the Yo Joe June whatever it will be.

I remain cautiously optimistic.

Thwipp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
madflava
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 17, 2021 3:48 pm

So one store in my area shows 2 Major Bludd on hand in their system and of couse all the collectors and scalpers in a 25 mile radius descended on it. When I got there, the person before me threw a huge stink about how their system says 2 on hand but nobody can "find' the figures. Demanded see a manager and then proceeded to berate said manager. God, I feel sorry for people that work retail that have to go through this whenever a new Cobra Island figure drops. When did the GI Joe collecting community become so toxic? Anyway, who knows what happened to the figures. Maybe the two Bludds are in a repack box that hasn't been unloaded yet, maybe an employee is holding the two figures to buy for themselves. From what I've read on a Target reddit where employees ask their peers questions, in back numbers are manually entered in, on floor the items are scanned when they are put on the pegs/shelf to generate that number, on hand who knows how that is set or what it means. Anyway, starting to think that this is going to be Firefly/Viper all over again. I probably won't see Bludd at all in stores in my area. 6 to a store is not enough for all the collectors and scalpers in my area. At least the sales associate was nice enough to clue me in that Target Clone Wars figures are arriving tomorrow, probably going to miss out on those since they are only getting 6 and will probably sell out once they open.
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 17, 2021 3:55 pm

I try not to blame “the scalpers” as much as my knee-jerk response may make me think that. Joining a few collector groups on Facebook, plus knowing other collectors via conventions/cosplay, the number of collectors is insanely larger than a local Fwoosh thread makes you think.

But scalpers have poisoned this line. Reselling Joes obviously was lucrative the first round, same as NECA’s TMNT. And FOMO has driven many people that probably wouldn’t normally ask staff for help to go to web inventories, extreme hunting, etc.; when they still come up empty-handed, I understand why they may explode because of the feeling of defeat.
twelvesam
I wish I had super powers

Mon May 17, 2021 4:19 pm

madflava wrote:
When did the GI Joe collecting community become so toxic?
I want to give us all the benefit of the doubt. I don't recall anything like this cluster in my history of collecting. I'm sure most of us on this board have gotten more frustrated than we usually might be with this line.

That said, while I sympathize with that feeling, it just isn't ok to take it out on retail workers. I think the percentage of Target folks up to no good with Joe stock is much smaller than we think. Most of the employees that we deal with are likely confused and/or overwhelmed.
MLNUT
CROM!

Mon May 17, 2021 4:29 pm

madflava wrote:
When I got there, the person before me threw a huge stink about how their system says 2 on hand but nobody can "find' the figures. Demanded see a manager and then proceeded to berate said manager. God, I feel sorry for people that work retail that have to go through this whenever a new Cobra Island figure drops.
This may have been a scalper pissed he won't be making another $100+ dollars. I feel for the employees as well and can't blame them by trying to make an extra few bucks getting these figures themselves. Target itself is partly to blame for handling this poorly. What would you think if Targets raffled off the figures to buyers buy giving out one ticket per buyer and holding the raffle at 9am. Is this better than a first come first served?
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 17, 2021 4:37 pm

I want to also clarify, I think it’s unreasonable for an employee that a collector to be expected to give a “in stock” figure to a customer. I honestly don’t know the best procedure for that would be, though I’d assume the employee gives the figure to the Department/Customer Service to hold like any other customer calling ahead, to buy when they’re off their shift.

The stores need to have some kind of controls for buying out stock (but my retail experience would be potential legal action if you purchase with a discount with intent to resell). But to pretend there aren’t collectors who take jobs (as primary or secondary income) for advantage, discount, etc. is insane. That’s a privileged position if buying toys on discount is the only reason you take a job, but it’s a potential reason. And how many of us are happier when we know a Dept. Manager is an enthusiast, because it hopefully means better attention is paid to the toy aisles? Hopefully that means they’re able to order more stock if they’re also buying from their own store, but how many people are enthusiastic about toys that aren’t collectors?
madflava
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 17, 2021 4:52 pm

I feel like the more reports of customers behaving as badly as what I witness today is only going to make Target sell G.I. Joe figures online only or just drop carrying them. I think the big test will be these Clone War exclusives. The Star Wars collecting community is way larger and obsessed than G.I. Joe and if Target can't meet the supply, it's going to get real bad, real fast. I have a feeling these toy exclusive are probably going to go the way of Pokemon cards and baseball cards at Target by the end of the Summer.

Return to “The Pit: The Unofficial G.I.Joe Board”