What are you reading?

Discuss your favorite comics, comic heroes, comic companies. Anything comics. Did we mention comics?
Lobster Johnson
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: The good Lobster is in the Lodge, and he can't leave

Re: What are you reading?

Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:18 pm

Dormammu wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:21 am
The Mignola-verse is just a cool state of mind to visit. I think the only complaint from most fans (me included) was that Hell on Earth got a bit boring in the middle. Other than that, the Mignola-verse is pretty tight and page-turning. I'll be ordering the 3 latest omnibus books on my birthday in a few months from Indigo Books. They give ya 20% off, probably with the standard 10% off too. I'm hoping The Devil You Know won't be sold out by then.
I think Hell on Earth is pretty excellent all the way through, I greatly miss Arcudi's presence in the Mignola books. Really just hasn't been the same since he left.
Dormammu
Mumu of Evil

Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:07 am

Does anyone know the print status of the classic Uncanny X-men omnibus books? Is everything that showed up in the last few months all there will be... for like years from now? I read a rumour that reprints are happening soon, given the good sales. But that's completely unverified.

I need Vol 2. By the time I lazily got around to ordering it, damn thing was gone from everywhere.
Dormammu
Mumu of Evil

Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:13 am

Lobster Johnson wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:18 pm
I think Hell on Earth is pretty excellent all the way through, I greatly miss Arcudi's presence in the Mignola books. Really just hasn't been the same since he left.
Yeah, as others have said, the Mignola books are so much the Arcudi-Davis books too. Even after one-of-a-kind artist Davis left, generating a merry-go-around of other artists, Arcudi still held it together with his good writing.
Olive00
Here comes a new challenger!

Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:03 pm

I’m reading Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty. The story is described so realistically that it seems to you that you are also now in Australia and watching the events. Every story of the main characters touches the soul and you are sincerely worried about them. It is an engaging story filled with murder and mystery. The idea is very interesting. On the first page you will find out that the murder happened. But throughout the story, you have no idea who is the victim. At the same time, the genre cannot be called a detective story. A fascinating book about relationships.
FlexionDynamo
Super Poseable

Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:05 pm

I'm almost finished with House of M, and I just picked up House of X at a Comic Book Store. Not sure what I'll read after that, so good thread!
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:32 pm

I went a little crazy over the weekend and started buying the epic collection X-Men books. Really loving this format. Some of the books I had read all the issues before but I'm really liking how these are setup with the issues from other titles included that are relevant. I'm planning on getting the X-Factor, X-Force and New Mutants Epic Collections as well....and of course I could see myself hitting up FF and Spider-man at some point as I seem to be allergic to money in my pocket.
Samael13
is way smarter than you

Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:19 pm

Realized I hadn't used my Hoopla checkouts from the library yet this month, so I picked up and blew through the most recent volumes of Immortal Hulk (6-8); what a good series. I've never particularly cared about the Hulk before, but this series consistently impresses. The artwork is weird and grotesque when it needs to be, and the story is really engaging. Really digging this. I'm not familiar enough with the character to know for sure, but it feels kind of like the Morrison run on Batman, where it's integrating a lot of the character's long history and finding ways to make it all kind of make sense while also using it to tell a new spin on the character. Cool stuff.

Also picked up The Kill Lock, which is about a group of robots sentenced to share a lifespan, kind of? They're all criminals for one reason or another, and their sentence is that their codes are locked together such that, if one of them dies, they all die. They set off to try to find a cure for the Kill Lock. The artwork is a little muddy in places, but mostly works, and the robots are very cool designs. I'd definitely like to see more of the universe this is set in, where robots are the dominant lifeform, but where it's clear that they were built by someone else. Neat ideas, good story and execution. Definitely worth checking out.
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:42 am

Alex Ross's poster book is really nice. Pull out posters of each of the drawings. On the back of each he talks a bit about each character and what they mean to him. High quality paper.
Dormammu
Mumu of Evil

Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:23 pm

General/random post not directed at anyone in particular

I'm sure most people in this thread know and are signed up. But for those who don't know and aren't signed up, we have a Trading Post forum where stuff is bought-sold-traded.

There is an occasionally utilized subsection for comic books (singles, TPBs, HCs, etc).
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=66201&start=75

:wink: ;)
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:41 pm

So I'm working on Hickman's Avengers in TPB form and I just finished up Vol 4 of the Complete Collection. Looks like his run isn't fully collected yet. Does anyone know when vol 5 will be coming out?
Samael13
is way smarter than you

Sat May 01, 2021 4:31 pm

I actually didn't realize there was an art/comic trading page, so that's a good update Dorm!
I have a modest collection of original art, but I definitely unload trades with some regularity (I work at a library and often pick up older trades from our book sale or get ARCs/promotional copies for review, but I limit my personal collection to what will fit on two bookcases at home); I'll have to throw some stuff up there next time I'm weeding my collection. Very cool.
Dormammu
Mumu of Evil

Sat May 01, 2021 8:25 pm

I really need to find a good Buy-sell-trade forum online for comic TPBs and HCs - preferably in Canada. Unfortunately the stuff I found on FB groups was clogged with high volume sellers. Guys were dominating the pages with thousands of items. Reddit is a joke. The format is even much worse than FB and I found the admins were too controlling. By the time I legit sold something and posted more, the admin removed my next posts, saying I had to be around as a buyer only (not trader or seller) for a year.

Local buying-selling used to be semi-productive. Now no more.

Man, I miss 'normal' old skool forums like this. More organized and relaxed.
Samael13
is way smarter than you

Mon May 03, 2021 1:47 pm

No lie. Let me know if you find something; I'm more of a buyer than seller (most of my older books I end up giving to friends or donating to my library). I've mostly given up finding older stuff online. I live in the Boston area, and there are a couple of decent bookstores here that regularly get in used GNs/trades, so, when we're not in a pandemic, I tend to do my used shopping there. At this point, I've mostly found the older stuff I'm actively looking for, so I don't really have many grails left, I think, though it's nice for stumbling onto things I didn't know I wanted to read. Working in a library does mean I tend to borrow a lot more than I buy, too.

I'd love to find a good piece of Guy Davis art from Sandman Mystery Theatre, someday, but his stuff tends to be hard to get, these days, and goes for more than I'm willing to pay, sadly.

Return to “The Short Box - Comic Books”