Should Hasbro do an all army builder wave?

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Should Hasbro do an all army builder wave?

Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:25 am

Slixta wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:05 am
I feel like Hasbro should stop doing builders in waves period and just do Fan Channel Two-Packs and their Hasbro Pulse Exclusives.
Completely agree.

Also worth noting is that an entire wave of army builders is a terrible idea. From Hasbro's perspective, they want as many people to be 'all-in' on collecting Marvel Legends as possible. They want to attract not just 'I collect X-Men' or 'I collect street level heroes' types. They want to appeal to people that collect the entire MU.
So they'd be asking that core demo to buy multiples of EVERY figure in a wave? Maybe if we were getting fewer waves per year. It makes way more sense for them as a company to release them on their own (as Slixta said) or to make them non-BAF figures (or do them with BAF parts you can get multiples of, like the Hand Ninja). An entire wave of army builders would be a huge risk that they'd be insane to take.
Hbhf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:30 am

Always thought what Select did was a neat idea.

Basil Elks
Remembers, things, best, forgotten,
Location: the Firm's morgue {which, oddly enough, is in British Columbia}

Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:39 am

Marvel Select should do a Tyrannoid, Moloid, & Lavamen 3pack.
kailryu
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:57 am

The only BAF choice that would work for me in an army builder wave would be Shuma Gorath.

Central eye and effects pieces as a single carded piece and an identical tentacle with every army builder character.

Even better, make the tentacle an upgraded tail piece that goes on both the saurid-looking Lizard baf and gets reused on a new deluxe release McFarlane style Lizard. 8 poseable segments in the tail so that when you plug 6 of them into the largely unarticulated central eye piece there’s a huge amount of articulation but you can buy any mix of army builder characters in the wave to complete him.

Otherwise no baf works for me and the characters would have to either be bigger choices like Hammer drones or if it’s something like a generic Wakandan or Asgardian warrior then add extra heads, weapons and some ‘fix’ pieces like a photo accurate Steve head from infinity war or a battle damaged Unmasked head for someone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sdooner
Avengers Assemble

Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:48 pm

MCU Army Builders!

Fandral with multiple Asgardian heads/helmets

Hogun with Multiple Asgardian heads/helmets

Outriders (re-use the Spider-Man Doppelgänger)

Chitari

Malekith with extra dark elf heads

M’Baku re-release with Jabari masks and heads

Maria Hill (re-do) with MCU female SHIELD heads (similar to Mae, Daisy, Sharon)

Male SHIELD agent with multiple heads/helmets

Whiplash (armored) with Mickey Rourke head and extra modular features

Build a Figure: Volstagg

Samael13
is way smarter than you

Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:11 pm

Fly4v wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:15 am
Samael13 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:50 am
I still don't understand the "why," here. What would be the benefit to either Hasbro or me, as a collector, to have a bunch of army builders all in the same wave?
It doesn't benefit Hasbro. Sprinkling them across waves supposedly increases sales.

It should benefit the collection. You get your army in a wave unless you don't army build.
Right now, when a wave comes out, *at most*, I need to drop enough money to buy the full wave plus, say, 3-4 extras for an army builder, so that's about a dozen figures. Let's assume that I like the entire wave of army builders and want 5 of each figure. Now I'm expected to buy 35 figures? That's... not a win for me, and I'm really skeptical that it's a win for the average collector, especially compared to just making army builders available in a cheaper way through the website in a more ongoing way.
Fly4v
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:59 pm

Samael13 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:11 pm
Fly4v wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:15 am
Samael13 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:50 am
I still don't understand the "why," here. What would be the benefit to either Hasbro or me, as a collector, to have a bunch of army builders all in the same wave?
It doesn't benefit Hasbro. Sprinkling them across waves supposedly increases sales.

It should benefit the collection. You get your army in a wave unless you don't army build.
Right now, when a wave comes out, *at most*, I need to drop enough money to buy the full wave plus, say, 3-4 extras for an army builder, so that's about a dozen figures. Let's assume that I like the entire wave of army builders and want 5 of each figure. Now I'm expected to buy 35 figures? That's... not a win for me, and I'm really skeptical that it's a win for the average collector, especially compared to just making army builders available in a cheaper way through the website in a more ongoing way.
Oh no. The economics does not work out for me either. The thought of an Army wave just alleviates the anxiety of availability.

Individual figures on a website where orders are used to determine future production numbers like kick starters would be better for me. It would be a longer wait but I could buy what I can, when I can and am will to wait for their delivery in the future.
Photo Dave
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:12 pm

I know nothing as far as what the general collector would do, but one army builder per wave is a lot easier on the wallet than a whole wave of them.

Plus, we’d all have our preferences for which army builders we like. I may want some Brood drones, but I’ve no interest in a Guardsman, and someone else may feel the opposite. So would there be peg warmers or would the wave have a lukewarm reception, based on preference and the average collector’s budget? Or could I be wrong and has the average collector been saving all his / her stimulus money for a wave like this one?

I know nothing.

Personally, I like the way Hasbro’s handling army builders by sprinkling them into waves and having the the exclusive ones on Pulse. And that’s all I got.

Have fun, all!
OG_Venom
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:14 pm

No please no waves of army builders and no more army builders in a regular BAF wave
MaxPower
Customized

Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:34 am

The ONLY benefit would be if the BAF is an extremely wanted and strong army builder figure to headline the wave.
This would make you buy multiples.

I also think overall its a terrible idea as a whole and would not work in reality.

I also do NOT like their current army builders on Hasbro Pulse.
I hate how they come stripped of accessories and extra head sculpts.
That stoic head on Hydra Soldier is so whack when they are all the same.

I would rather pay an extra $5 for a total of $20 if they included the extra heads and vests and guns from the 2 pack version.
Or add variant headsculpts at the very least. That's the funnest part of army building for me, is the customization and making them all just a little different but still the same.

Would you guys pay extra for "extras"????
Scotch n Ciggs
CROM!

Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:29 am

Pretty good ideas dished out give or take the chitauri.

Comic versions only because MCU army builders would just go to clearance:

Doombots
Asgardian warriors
Shield agents
Army men ( like GI's )
Atlantean troops/guards
Cops & Firemen (such a no brainer even if they're all NY uniformed)
Ninjas
Dark elfs
Moloids
Lava men
Mobsters
Wakanda warriors
Classic Kree
Classic Skrulls.... Nothing necessarily super, just dorky green guys.
kailryu
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:38 am

So how do people feel about Vault Guardsman in the Ursa Major wave?

Getting Hand Ninja with Stilt Man’s legs seemed a smart choice but if we are back to army builders coming with a BAF piece that’s a real pain for folks like me who want the BAF but will struggle to find all the parts because of the Guardsman.

Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:54 pm

Yeah I was going to point out how the new Iron Man wave actually has two army builder figures in it—Ultron and Vault Guardsmen. They are top choices for me, so I am thrilled to get them!

And I like Ursa Major, too. But not to the point of wanting to army build him. But I expect a lot of people will end up with extra parts for him.

MLNUT
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:16 pm

I plan on getting 3 Guardsmen and 4 Ultrons to surround my Marvel Select Ultron.
H-bird
hbwrdlngiv, after secondary mutation

Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:05 pm

I’m trying to decide if I want to display both the named Guardsman + a few troopers or just do a handful of generic troops. I guess the only real distinction will be in my head and who they stand next to on the shelf.

Kevin O’Brien, the OG bad Guardsman with Iron Man villains
Michael O’Brien Guardsman - maybe next to the upcoming Quasar since they both worked security at Project: Pegasus?
Generic troopers - probably just 2-3. I know they aren’t SHIELD but that’s probably where they’d make the most sense in a display

Ultron I’m excited for too but probably won’t troop build - I like the classic Ultron design to stand alone. I do like having all the previous incarnations we’ve gotten to flesh out a small Ultron army though!

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”