What are you reading?

Discuss your favorite comics, comic heroes, comic companies. Anything comics. Did we mention comics?
Samael13
is way smarter than you
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: What are you reading?

Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:30 pm

The nostalgia is strong! I actually gave all of my old X-Men comics to my nieces a few months before the pandemic started, which was an almost complete run of Uncanny and New X-Men, and a complete run of X-Factor and most of New Mutants. (Sorry, X-Force.) I kept my run of Excalibur, though, which includes the full run of the series plus their appearances in Marvel Team-up and a few other books. One of these days, I'll get around to getting them bound. I actually just picked up a run of the first 42 issues of Sandman Mystery Theatre from my library's book sale; what a find!

I'm currently rereading the BPRD: Plague of Frogs hardcovers; I just picked up the last volume of Hell on Earth, and the Devil You Know is coming next month, so I want to reread the whole series from the start.
Dormammu
Mumu of Evil

Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:48 am

Ha, Sam. You got the Frog fever like I did last year. I look forward to the Devil You Know in HC. Do you think the other recent "Hellboy and the BPRD" TPBs will finally get collected in HC as well? I hope Mignola also decides on making a big HC housing misc one-off trades too, just to give it all a deluxe treatment.
lefthook
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:35 pm

Dorm, both coming this year in standard HC format to fit in with the other HC titles

https://www.tfaw.com/3008404-hellboy-an ... 54-hc.html

https://www.tfaw.com/3008410-hellboy-un ... es-hc.html
Dormammu
Mumu of Evil

Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:30 am

Thanks, Lefthook. Those editions will fit great.
Samael13
is way smarter than you

Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:03 pm

I'd definitely love to see the misc Hellboy stuff released in one of the big Hellboy Library editions. Those are such an incredible value for the cost, they feel like a steal. Oversized with extra art and features at the end, and for less than $50? I'll be happy to get the BPRD stuff in hardcovers that match the Plague of Frogs and Hell on Earth sets, but for anything that Hellboy is headlining, I'd love it in those big Library editions.

Just finished reading the X-Men: Grand Design Omnibus, and it kind of highlights what a great value the Hellboy books are. I like Piskor's art, but I know it's not for everyone and a lot of people won't, and I appreciate what Grand Design did (for those unfamiliar: it basically takes 30 years of X-Men history--everything from X-Men 1 through the end of X-Tinction Agenda--and condenses it into a 6 issue book, but it does so in a way that smooths over some of the story inconsistencies that cropped up in the original run). It was a cool experiment, and I liked that it created some post-hoc explanations for events that kind of got glossed over or never explained originally. My issue with the release is that they did it as an Omnibus, when there's just not enough material to justify it. The six issues of Grand Design take up 258 pages. Then they padded that by including a number of frequently reprinted issues (X-Men 1, Giant Size 1, and the issue where Wolverine meets Cap and Black Widow in WWII), then, for special features, the book includes 8 pages of Piskor's art and photographs as well as the *entire* script of the six issues. It feels like a lot of a padding in an attempt to justify the $100 price-tag. For comparison, X-Tinction Agenda clocks in at 304 pages and included a dozen pages of extra art, promotions, and photographs, and had an MSRP of only $50. I guess ymmv, but I'm not interested in reading 258 pages of scripts that largely just like sketched out versions of exactly what was released. I'd be interested in a couple of pages of scripts, especially if they showed a "how it Piskor takes things from concept to complete" approach, but just dumping 258 pages of black and white sketches... meh. It does really highlight what an incredible value those Hellboy Library editions are. Haha
lefthook
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:57 pm

I wholeheartedly agree Samael13. I always look forward to DH titles that get the library edition treatment. The HB's are great and seem evergreen. I quite missed the boat on vol 2 of Black Hammer and now having a hard time getting one. I think the last one I got and read was Lady Kiler. Always bang for your buck, quality books.
It wasn't like this some time ago. Usually they come short with initial shipment of copies but now they seem to go top quick like the other big books. The collecting landscape had certainly felt tight recently.

Cathing up, I just read Cruel Summer by Brubaker and Phillips. During a blackout. Even when I had to reposition my flashlight every so often, I could not stop. Great great book. These 2 never disappoint

Currently reading Lazarus 3. Having a hard time getting into this volume. Perhaps I should've done a recap of the 1st 2 before I dove into this.
Samael13
is way smarter than you

Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:15 pm

I enjoy Lazarus, but it's definitely felt less tight to me as it goes on, so that might not just be your lack of recap. Big fan of the Criminal series, too; just got volume 3 of the Deluxe edition, so I'll be diving into that soon. Also just preordered a few upcoming Marvel books. I'll need to double check, but, with the announcement of the 13th X-Men Masterwork and the upcoming reissue of the Inferno Omnibus, I think that I might be more or less done with the core X-Men; I think that gives me a full run from X-Men 1 through Age of Apocalypse plus the various arcs after that story that I care about (Whedon's run, Morrison's run, Wolverine and the X-Men, etc). Also just saw that they're releasing a Wolverine Omnibus Vol 2, containing 11-30 of his solo book, Havok & Wolverine: Meltdown (which I love mostly for the incredible but weird art), The Scorpio Connection, The Jungle Adventure, Bloodlust, and a bunch of his MCP appearances. Solid.

Right now I'm in the middle of X-Tinction Agenda, which is definitely the most tightly scripted of the Crossovers so far. There are a few wonky moments where characters describe things that aren't actually happening on panel (most noticeable when Hodge says he's stealing Warlock's ability to shapeshift, and one of the characters says something like "It's true! His tentacle is already turning into a hand!" despite the fact that nowhere on the page can you see any evidence of this transformation) or where characters jump around between issues (at the end of one issue, Rictor and Boom Boom have split up to try to make it to the American Embassy on Genosha, with Rictor heading into the sewers to make his escape, but at the start of the next issue, they're suddenly together and being chased by sky-cycles), and the artwork is a bit inconsistent, but, honestly, it's mostly pretty awesome, and it's really nice to see that the story is so cohesively written. The story is very much intertwined between the three core books, so you don't even notice that you're moving between titles. Not fun for 90s Sam when he wasn't regularly getting all three titles, but really nice in a collected volume.
Samael13
is way smarter than you

Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:52 am

After I finished X-Tinction Agenda, I jumped back over to the BPRD books. I read through the 1946-1948 hardcover and BPRD: Vampire. Solid books. I've always really liked the world building of the BPRD books. It's kind of nice to read a book where death is (more or less) permanent. Lots of interesting characters get introduced, and you can never really tell whether any of them are going to survive a particular story. Nice to see those early years represented and to have some more building of the universe/mythology. Plus, tiny Hellboy is totally adorable.

After this brief diversion, I'm jumping back to Volume 2 of Plague of Frogs.
Dormammu
Mumu of Evil

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:21 am

The Mignola-verse is just a cool state of mind to visit. I think the only complaint from most fans (me included) was that Hell on Earth got a bit boring in the middle. Other than that, the Mignola-verse is pretty tight and page-turning. I'll be ordering the 3 latest omnibus books on my birthday in a few months from Indigo Books. They give ya 20% off, probably with the standard 10% off too. I'm hoping The Devil You Know won't be sold out by then.

On to the Uncanny X-Men omnibus books. I was so happy to have gotten Vol 1 for a good discount that I slacked off, thinking they'd all be around for awhile. I was going to buy them when I got to it. Oops, I screwed up on Vol 2. That thing flew off the shelves of online warehouses, every copy gone in a somewhat short time. Now they're Ebaying for 2-3x as much. Luckily I got a deep discount on Vol 4 which showed up at my doorstep not long ago. I better jump on Vol 3 pronto as it sells through.

Is the rumour true? Vol 2 is being reprinted again as I type this? It will be available again in 2-5 months? I think Vol 1 has been restocked lately. I want to get all four volumes lined up before I start reading the epic nostalgia!

Or did I really blow it? No reprint for another 5 years? Marvel would have to be on dope to leave it OOP.
Samael13
is way smarter than you

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:00 pm

They've been reprinting a lot of the Uncanny omnis lately, so I wouldn't be surprised if Vol 2 gets one soon, too. Of course, it took over a decade for them to reprint the Inferno Omni, sooooo...

I don't have those first four Omnis; I had already been picking up the Masterworks books, and Claremont signed my Vol. 1, so I'm not getting rid of that, so my run is Masterworks 1-13 (Vol 13 is coming in July), then it switches over to the Omnis (and the hardcovers that aren't officially Omnis despite being the same basic design, like Bishop's Crossing) for Mutant Massacre through Age of Apocalypse, plus a few other piecemeal bits like Astonishing, Wolverine and the X-Men, and the Morrison Omni. Volume 13 completes my X-Men must-haves, I think?

Speaking of the Mignolaverse: Two more volumes of BPRD down. Vol 2: I enjoy the first volume, but the book definitely feels like it *really* gets its feet under it, here. The more stable creative team and the real launch into a consistent story digging into the war on the frogs and the impending doom they're facing, it all starts here, really. There's a lot of great character development, some tear jerking moments that feel very earned and poignant. Love the revival church as recruiting ground for the frogs. Then Vol 3 (my favorite so far) picks up with the group reeling from the losses and the shock of what has happened, trying to get their footing back under them, and then... oof. That final story arc is just brutal, but so brilliantly done. Seeing the team getting kicked from one tragedy to another and never quite able to get their bearings is hard, but it's such good storytelling. As a huge fan of Guy Davis, I have zero complaints on the look of the book, either. Some real creative and gross monster stuff, but also some amazing character work. His ability to make everyone look unique and real but also discernable, even when it's a bunch of diving-suit looking cyborg dudes is really impressive.

Time for volume 4!
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:56 am

Now that Death Metal is over, I'm taking the time to go back and read some other stuff, sort of catch up a bit on some older stuff.

I just started Hickman's Avengers run. Picked up books 1-3 of the complete collection graphic novel. I also have his FF complete collection 1-2 books on their way.

I'm mixing that in with the new52 run of Justice League. All while trying to stay up with other Batman stuff.
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:28 pm

Love Hickman's Avengers. Love his FF run even more.

I started X-Statix a few weeks ago. I think it's a little inconsistent. It ping-pongs between engaging and boring to me, but the humor has held up remarkably well nearly 20 years later.
maverick10126

Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:48 pm

TheSameIdiot wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:28 pm
Love Hickman's Avengers. Love his FF run even more.

I started X-Statix a few weeks ago. I think it's a little inconsistent. It ping-pongs between engaging and boring to me, but the humor has held up remarkably well nearly 20 years later.
What's crazy is how expensive his FF run is in graphic novel form. I targeted the Complete collection TPB. I have volume 3 on pre-order...it'll be here in May but both vol 1 and 2 aren't available anymore. I got lucky and one of the 3 comic shops I visited in the area had vol 2 so I got that for retail, but I had to overpay to get vol 1. I got lucky and snagged it for a decent price all things considered....but it regularly sells for $75+!

And yes, I know everyone is reading digital these days....and I do, but I always like buying physical copies of the truly great comic runs. I've heard enough good things about Hickman's run that I'm willing to buy it before I've read it. I'm also eying the Epic Collection X-Men books. I'm working on collecting Scott Snyder's DC run. After that I'm probably going to track down every Grant Morrison book I don't already own....then maybe look at Geoff Johns.

Any other writers runs I should look into adding to the collection?
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:10 am

Snyder's Batman run is one of the greats. And you can't go wrong with Morrison.

I'm partial to Brubaker, Fraction, and Remender.
maverick10126

Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:38 am

Morrison is still probably my favorite writer...and his Batman run was my favorite...until I read Snyder.

Return to “The Short Box - Comic Books”