The Loyal Subjects: TMNT BST AXN and Action Vinyl Series

FIGURES IN A HALF SHELL! NECA, Super7, Playmates, if it possesses Turtle Power, talk about it here.
Roufuss
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: "The Loyal Subjects" TMNT

Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:01 pm

TENIME_art wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:43 pm
Roufuss wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:33 pm
For Full Metal, they made Eric and Alphonse the same size, then when people pushed back, they stated something about how they wanted everything to be the same size for some reason like cohesion or world building.
Hey, TLS, "cohesion & world building" comes with a 4' tall Edward, and a 7' tall Al, not having them both be 5'. :rolleyes:

I have way better FMA figures, but still would've bought theirs if they scaled to each other. Instead, they lost two sales from me. How many other sales did they lose from everyone else who had the same problem?

Is this line found anywhere besides Walmart or Hot Topic? I haven't been to HT in awhile (I enjoy the store, so there's no actual reason behind not visiting it, other than my Walmart is closer), and half my Walmarts don't carry the line at all, and the ones who do, the selection varies wildly.
Ok, I found the comment they made on IG when someone complained about FMA scale: “we wanted to create a universe without borders not just a particular IP’s universe” so that’s their excuse for everything being the same size.

I don’t mind 5” scale, I just want things to scale properly within a given line. The FMA figures look even worse in person since Alphonse is so short, I never even bothered to start this line.

The figures are supposed to be carried in Target, even way back in August 2020 they were saying Target, but I’ve never seen them there. My stores are still trying to clearance out their action vinyl stuff.
Detrimental_Fig
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:07 pm

Yeah, I haven't once seen these at Target. Only Walmart carries them, and they don't try very hard to keep them organized.
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:46 pm

Again, Loyal Subjects, a "universe without borders" is more possible when figures are appropriate scale to each other.

That's why I have such an issue with Hasbro's Ghostbusters being as short as they are. Because I want "a universe without borders not just a particular IP’s universe," and that's difficult when 6'2" Egon is shorter than 6' Captain America.

I hate illogical people so much.

PG-Superfan
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:24 pm

TENIME_art wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:43 pm
Roufuss wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:33 pm
For Full Metal, they made Eric and Alphonse the same size, then when people pushed back, they stated something about how they wanted everything to be the same size for some reason like cohesion or world building.
Hey, TLS, "cohesion & world building" comes with a 4' tall Edward, and a 7' tall Al, not having them both be 5'. :rolleyes:

I have way better FMA figures, but still would've bought theirs if they scaled to each other. Instead, they lost two sales from me. How many other sales did they lose from everyone else who had the same problem?

Is this line found anywhere besides Walmart or Hot Topic? I haven't been to HT in awhile (I enjoy the store, so there's no actual reason behind not visiting it, other than my Walmart is closer), and half my Walmarts don't carry the line at all, and the ones who do, the selection varies wildly.
I have considered that maybe the "worldbuilding" is toy worldbuilding with vehicles that seat 5 inch figures.
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:39 am

I want to see how a 5” Turtle looks. 5” scale Napoleon Dynamite was a little smaller than I wanted. 5” Turtles may be a teenage size.

I think they’ll be downright a bear to find. Too many Turtle fans out there. I have seen pretty much all the other Loyal Subjects figures in store.

Thwipp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hisdudeness9829
HULK SMASH!

Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:41 pm

oh man, I really need to be able to preorder these from somewhere online. Hopefully the big e-tailers will carry them.
Dr Baghead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:57 pm

So I saw some of these (BST AXN in general, not the TMNT ones) for the first time in the wild and decided to take some scale photos for research...
Photo was taken next to a Toony Terror since this was really more for me to see how well Lydia will scale with TT Beetlejuice if all the figures are the same size (pretty well I feel! So
Excited for Lydia!)

But I own that Ash so let’s see how BST AXN scales with NECA...
A side by side of Ash and a NECA Toon Turt allowing for comparisons to see just how much smaller the BST AXN Turts will be...

“WOW!” You might say to yourself “If Ash is a grown ass man then the BST AXN Turts will be cartoon accurate height” well calm down...
Toony Terrors scale smaller than NECA’s Ninja Turtle line, so the BST AXN Turts will be SHORT.

They’ll probably look great fighting the HasLab Sentinel or a Mythic Legions Troll or bigger NECA/Super7 characters, but are gonna look weird next to regular humans... might scale correctly with NECa April though!
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:47 am

I have the Spike & Vicious BST AXN, as well as Toony Terrors & NECA Turtles, if anyone needs side by sides.
mattmurdog
CROM!

Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:55 am

I am not too interested in the TMNTs, they seem super vanilla. Lydia from Beetlejuice however, definitely interested in her along with whatever Avatar figures they make.
Dr Baghead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:41 am

TENIME_art wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:47 am
I have the Spike & Vicious BST AXN, as well as Toony Terrors & NECA Turtles, if anyone needs side by sides.
Can ya post a picture of Vicious (or Spike) next to NECA Toon Shredder, April, Android Krang, Super7 Bebop, and Toony Terror Beetlejuice.

That should be a good scale guide for how short the Turts will look in a variety of situations, and how tall Lydia will be
VeeBee
Yeah, I was in the s#!%
Location: Never in my wildest imagination did I ever dream I would have ninjas like these.

"The Loyal Subjects" TMNT

Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:39 pm

I am cross-posting this as the TMNT leak is what caused me to take a chance.
VeeBee wrote:With the TMNT and Beetlejuice leaks, I decided to take a flyer on a couple of these, even though I was leary about them. Napoleon is a fun character and I LOVE BTiLC, so I picked them up when I struck out on Super Shredder last night.

I am normally a pretty positive person with this hobby, and can find charm or something to like about any given figure I decide to buy. I wasn’t expecting these to be on the same level as some of the other things I collect, but...

These figures are HORRIBLE. Like HORRIBLY HORRIBLE. There is nothing redeeming about them. They have the articulation, yes, even butterfly shoulders, but the engineering is absolute shit. The double knees barely go past 90°(!!!), and each one had a leg fall off right out of the package.

The accessories are a joke and you have to work at it just to get the figures to hold them. Lightning’s hat won’t even stay on.

The paint is entirely basic, but the sculpting is some of the worst I have seen in a long, long time. The “incredible sculpt” claim on the back of the package should be illegal, and you get the feeling they don’t even believe it based on the digital renders used for the card art. Whatever the sculptor contributed to these was absolutely done dirty in production. I fully understand production degradation, but this isn’t even on the same planet.

I get it. These are priced at a spot that is relatively inexpensive for an action figure, but the concept tries to live beyond those means. If you want the great sculpting, paint, and articulation, stand by that, and charge what you need to get it done. I know production can be a challenge, we’ve been there, but good gravy this is an experienced company.

I HATE the comparisons of these to ReAction or even Pops because, even if you don’t like those styles, they are VERY good at what they mean to be. I have no clue what these are.

I am avoiding these entirely. BTiLC seems to be doomed for figures, and I am sad because I wanted the TMNT and Beetlejuice figures to be good. It will take a bloody miracle.

Ugh. UGH. Turrible.

BST AXN? More like TTL SHT.

Logan622
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:06 pm

Maybe with the turtle molds directly coming from tamashii, there will be less margin for degradation? I might be pipe dreaming, but their original sculpts look like shit to begin with, so I can’t imagine how much more gets lost in the molding process... but with the turtles being pretty detailed to start, there may be a chance that the sculpt integrity is somewhat maintained
mattmurdog
CROM!

Re:

Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:13 pm

VeeBee wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:39 pm
I am cross-posting this as the TMNT leak is what caused me to take a chance.
VeeBee wrote:With the TMNT and Beatlejuice leaks, I decided to take a flyer on a couple of these, even though I was leary about them. Napoleon is a fun character and I LOVE BTiLC, so I picked them up when I struck out on Super Shredder last night.

I am normally a pretty positive person with this hobby, and can find charm or something to like about any given figure I decide to buy. I wasn’t expecting these to be on the same level as some of the other things I collect, but...

These figures are HORRIBLE. Like HORRIBLY HORRIBLE. There is nothing redeeming about them. They have the articulation, yes, even butterfly shoulders, but the engineering is absolute shit. The double knees barely go past 90°(!!!), and each one had a leg fall off right out of the package.

The accessories are a joke and you have to work at it just to get the figures to hold them. Lightning’s hat won’t even stay on.

The paint is entirely basic, but the sculpting is some of the worst I have seen in a long, long time. The “incredible sculpt” claim on the back of the package should be illegal, and you get the feeling they don’t even believe it based on the digital renders used for the card art. Whatever the sculptor contributed to these was absolutely done dirty in production. I fully understand production degradation, but this isn’t even on the same planet.

I get it. These are priced at a spot that is relatively inexpensive for an action figure, but the concept tries to live beyond those means. If you want the great sculpting, paint, and articulation, stand by that, and charge what you need to get it done. I know production can be a challenge, we’ve been there, but good gravy this is an experienced company.

I HATE the comparisons of these to ReAction or even Pops because, even if you don’t like those styles, they are VERY good at what they mean to be. I have no clue what these are.

I am avoiding these entirely. BTiLC seems to be doomed for figures, and I am sad because I wanted the TMNT and Beatlejuice figures to be good. It will take a bloody miracle.

Ugh. UGH. Turrible.

BST AXN? More like TTL SHT.

Wow, those are some very damaging words. Without having any in hand, I can agree that they don't look too good. But I'll chalk it up to series 1, because the renders and protos (Aang) looks very good and passes the look test for me. I can already tell, that Aang won't be able to lift his arms up, but I don't plan on really playing with these. For what they are, display pieces that you can fiddle with, I think they're pretty good. I just hope they can stand on their own.
VeeBee
Yeah, I was in the s#!%
Location: Never in my wildest imagination did I ever dream I would have ninjas like these.

Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:29 pm

I mean, people are 100% free to like what they like, but as display pieces, they do not look good to me at all. Fiddle with? The legs on both figures literally fell off when I was taking them out of the package. Rage fiddling is the future.

Giving them a pass because this is series one is not a dogfall with a better future unless they actually improve. You CANNOT go by the digital renders. Production is the final product and production killed anything of value in those original renders.

I would like nothing more than the Turtles and Beatlejuice to be good, but there is a long LONG way to go. I would never pre-order them sight unseen and once I do see them, they need to be a lot better than this to get me to give TLS more money. Hedging makes me bet against it. It is like covering the span of improvement from Hasbro’s very first Marvel Legends to today’s standards in a single wave. Color me skeptical.
PG-Superfan
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Re:

Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:58 pm

VeeBee wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:29 pm
I mean, people are 100% free to like what they like, but as display pieces, they do not look good to me at all. Fiddle with? The legs on both figures literally fell off when I was taking them out of the package. Rage fiddling is the future.

Giving them a pass because this is series one is not a dogfall with a better future unless they actually improve. You CANNOT go by the digital renders. Production is the final product and production killed anything of value in those original renders.

I would like nothing more than the Turtles and Beatlejuice to be good, but there is a long LONG way to go. I would never pre-order them sight unseen and once I do see them, they need to be a lot better than this to get me to give TLS more money. Hedging makes me bet against it. It is like covering the span of improvement from Hasbro’s very first Marvel Legends to today’s standards in a single wave. Color me skeptical.
Smaller companies like S7 and Funko have had wildly varying quality in part because of less stable factory relationships.

If you judged Funko's Savage World/Primal Age based on late 2018 releases, they sucked. But earlier stuff was okay and later stuff was fantastic.

I don't know if we can be sure if the current BST AXN reflect future waves.

Return to “The Sewer Lair: The Unofficial Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Board”