Netflix' Umbrella Academy

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Netflix' Umbrella Academy

Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:57 pm

Season 3 dropped last night, anybody start it up? I'm intrigued by this being where they break away from the comics into original story. And the cube. What's up with the cube?
Andron X
I come from the land up over

Re: Netflix' Umbrella Academy

Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:21 pm

I enjoy this show, but it's frustrating at times. Season 3 has such manufactored conflict (been a while, but probably the other seasons as well).
If people actually had conversations and asked each other questions, I'm pretty sure this would be over in 2 episodes.

Also, the powers are so inconsistant, and almost never used.
For example, One dudes whole power is talking to dead people, and his current arc is to figure out how their moms died. Three episodes in, and if I hadn't seen the previous seasons, I wouldn't even know what his power is.
And WTF is #2's power? Throwing knives?

It's a fun show though. I was lucky enough to do some work on this one.
AdrienVeidt

Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:35 pm

I'm up to ep6 and holy crap do I hate Allison this season.
Magnuz
Tyrant

Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:50 pm

I'm on board the hate allison train, but this season kind of made me realize that every season has made her very unlikeable. The first season she was the aloof one that #1 loved but she didn't reciprocate and left him hanging, and used her powers on her own kid, all that shit just not a good person.

Then season 2 she forgets her own kid and gets involved with a man in the past, and while her journey through the horrible times of being black in that period was rough she still was not a great person, and constantly did stupid shit that made her annoying.

Then this season she's gone full tilt psycho stupid.

Also agree that the forced conflict is ridiculous this season. 5 literally has the case and goes on his own while the rest are left behind looking for the case like idiots. I'm not finished with it yet but the plot of this one is frustrating because the solution is clear from the beginning and yet they are going so far out of their way to avoid it despite
Spoiler! :
allison killing harlan anyway
that its getting tough to watch.
AdrienVeidt

Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:47 pm

Wrapped it up last night and I dug it more than less. There are definitely some issues with this show but I still enjoy it a lot. These people do make some ass-stupid decisions at times, notably how they all simply walked away from each other once the crisis was resolved. They have no phones and no home; how are they supposed to find each other again?

And I'm missing the significance of the stinger ending.

But I still get a kick out of Five, Klaus, Diego & Lila, and Dickon Targaryan and now Sloan. Damn the casting director has a good eye for beautiful women. More Colm Feore is always a good thing, too.
Magnuz
Tyrant

Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:31 pm

I was underwhelmed and disappointed by choices in the end.
Spoiler! :
by stinger do you mean Hargreaves with his wife? They showed her frozen on the moon in the beginning of the episode with luthor and he mentioned to luthor that he was protecting something important up there.

It's played out that Hargreaves whole goal was to get her back by resetting the universe.

My bigger issue is how things resolved. Allison who has been a world class bitch for three seasons and constantly has made things worse because of her actions gets to go home to her daughter and the man from the 60s she fell in love with magically in the present day.

Meanwhile luthor the guy who's been shit on for three seasons and made fun of and got the worst of tbe worst, comes out normal, yay, but loses the love of his life he just got.... wtf?

Obviously this new Hargreaves controlled world sets up another season but with them all without powers I'm not sure what they'd do for another 10 episodes.
Honestly I'd be fine if this show was over I don't really need more of it.
Andron X
I come from the land up over

Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:32 am

Finished it, and enjoyed it overall.
Spoiler! :
Could have very well been a final season. I love Reginald Hargreeves, so it was a treat to have him around more this season, and his role in the end was great. I love the uneasy relationship they have with him, and it's really the cornerstone of the show.
It seemed they stopped him before he was able to accomplish his goal- but not actually? I wouldn't be surprised if stopping him too early had no real consequences, but there should be, all too convenient otherwise.

Lame retcon of Klaus's abilities. While the highway but was fun, it seemed like it would have been a sequence more befitting of his character Nathan from Misfits, since they obviously had that in mind. Now the afterlife is more confusing. Why are there ghosts, and others go to heaven? How come ghost Ben just appeared as Ben, but the graveyard was full of Halloween looking ghouls? The characters power was communicating with the dead already, so why did he have to die to communicate with his Mom, or Luther?

And apparently in the comics, Diegos power is holding his breath for an abnormally long time, and that's why he's called the Kraken. WTF?

I would've liked more of the sparrows. I wanted to know the deal with the deformed guys appearance. Hopefully there's another season, I would like to see them reappear.
Magnuz wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:31 pm
]by stinger do you mean Hargreaves with his wife?
I think he means the mid credit stinger of Ben sitting on a subway in Korea. I didn't get it either. Maybe he's reconnecting with his mother? Odd choice though. of all the characters he never seemed to have a moment where that was of concern to him.
Magnuz
Tyrant

Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:32 am

Ah didn't realize there was a mid credit, didn't stick around for that.
AdrienVeidt

Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:58 pm

Ben also looked to be wearing Five's suit, which is what really consternated me.

I always figured Diego's power was perfect aim, both in the comics and here. I figured he took the Kraken name for coolness points since Diego's a bit of a 'surface depth' thinker, lol.

There's a big difference between Klaus' power being able to speak with the dead and him fully embracing it. Until this season and from what I recall of the comics he only actually talked to Ben due to their connection as family. And the dumb issue with the highway training scene is that none of these people that drove over a dude called 911? No ambulances or cops ever showed up? Did none of the drivers notice they killed a dude? I don't usually notice stuff while it's going on but that issue jumped out at me after the first death.

Allison may have killed Reginald but she also then did the last bit of his plan by pushing the red button. I'm not sure why the new timeline would be any different from what he was wanting to do anyway, except now it's not the same him and he likely doesn't remember the previous timelines like the team does. I'm thinking the Sparrows are all here in the new timeline too.
RoyalCollector
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:48 pm

Reginald in control of the button and the timeline would have meant the end of all the Umbrella's and Sparrow's and even Allison, as I doubt he would have kept any of them preserved by choice. With Allison doing it, she brought back her loved ones and made it so all the Umbrella's including Luther were alive again, but Reg had probably already worked the machine enough to ensure he and Abigail were a lock.
Bashbash99
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:28 am

I thought Diego's power was to alter the trajectory of projectiles. didn't he have a moment where he held off a whole bunch of bullets and then curved them off? maybe i'm just mixing this up with another show.

anyhow enjoyed S3. The Sparrow Academy made for good supporting cast/enemies, altho i would've liked to see more of their backstories. and on that note are they ever gonna tell us how original Ben died?

As usual, the show is very creative and quirky. But also, as usual, it does require an awful lot of tolerance for characters acting stupidly, and in particular for withholding important info from one another for no particular reason. I get that it is supposed to be part of the group's dysfunctional nature but it can be very frustrating as a viewer at times.

Anyhow Five and Klaus remain my favorites. The rest I could take or leave (and tbh, mostly leave) but i generally find the plot and supporting cast interesting enough to put up with them. They handled the gender change well enough, but frankly i found Viktor pretty bland. But Vannye was fairly boring too. Enjoyed Elliott Page in Juno, Super, and Inception, so I'm assuming its just the shows writing at fault here.

Really hope we get a season 4 to wrap things up.

Return to “The Multiplex”