Daredevil - MCU Disney+ Series

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
scribb
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Daredevil - MCU Disney+ Series

Sun May 22, 2022 12:04 pm

He's not fighting ninjas or jumping off 10 storey buildings......
CTVampSlayer
X-23 gots a boyfriend

Sun May 22, 2022 1:28 pm

I love the commitment to the take.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 22, 2022 4:15 pm

I think it's sweet they believe Charlie Cox did parkour for real.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sun May 22, 2022 8:00 pm

Keanu Reeves is 57 and doing John Wick and The Matrix movies, but Cox is somehow questionable at under 40 because 'in ten years he might not play the character anymore.' Like, what a balls-out insane take. And as if Cox is going to still be playing Daredevil in 10 years ANYWAY. Like.. I want to be nice about it but I legitimately and honestly cannot get over how shitty of a take that is.

And ageist.

And kind of insulting.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 22, 2022 8:17 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Keanu Reeves is 57 and doing John Wick and The Matrix movies, but Cox is somehow questionable at under 40 because 'in ten years he might not play the character anymore.' Like, what a balls-out insane take. And as if Cox is going to still be playing Daredevil in 10 years ANYWAY. Like.. I want to be nice about it but I legitimately and honestly cannot get over how shitty of a take that is.

And ageist.

And kind of insulting.
Absolutely insulting. I'm 45 next month and I'm still hopping around after my children at least. And Reeves is another I'm sure using stuntmen, as pretty much all action performers do, but even in his 50s is still training and doing a lot of work for those roles.

With a Daredevil show, BEST CASE scenario is, what, seven seasons? Disney has never done it but I'm going off Network and Cable standards. Even if they don't do strictly one a year, ten years is a fair estimate on that. Maybe a movie or two along the way, one more movie after the series wraps its monumental seven season run... Charlie Cox (and his stuntmen) retire the character at 50.

Don't see the issue there. At all. What's even more ludicrous is how much we feel the need to argue the point, heh.
KnightDamien

Sun May 22, 2022 8:59 pm

Ru_1977 wrote:
KnightDamien wrote:

And ageist.

And kind of insulting.
Absolutely insulting. I'm 45 next month and I'm still hopping around after my children at least. And Reeves is another I'm sure using stuntmen, as pretty much all action performers do, but even in his 50s is still training and doing a lot of work for those roles.

With a Daredevil show, BEST CASE scenario is, what, seven seasons? Disney has never done it but I'm going off Network and Cable standards. Even if they don't do strictly one a year, ten years is a fair estimate on that. Maybe a movie or two along the way, one more movie after the series wraps its monumental seven season run... Charlie Cox (and his stuntmen) retire the character at 50.

Don't see the issue there. At all. What's even more ludicrous is how much we feel the need to argue the point, heh.
Separate but related; I don't think going by what Network and Cable averages are even works. I'm positive we'd still be getting Evans-Cap if he wanted to do it. So it's less about how long the show could feasible go on, and more about how long any one actor wants to play the same character. I just don't see Cox wanting to portray a character that he's outright stated is difficult and has cost him other roles... for ten more years. I'd be surprised if we get more than five years out of him.
Chris Hemsworth was ready to retire the role of Thor pre-Ragnarok until the made the character interesting for him again. ScarJo wanted out. Evans wanted out. RDJ wanted out. Tom Holland reportedly wants out pretty soon. I don't know where the idea comes from that we should expect actors to want to play one role for a huge chunk of their careers. Especially when even one movie or season of a show pays enough to practically retire on.

And this isn't me even talking about age and if Cox will be 'too old' to play Daredevil. Because that's a stupid [email protected]#$ discussion. This is me talking about our, as an audience, expectations on these actors and being more realistic instead of setting ourselves up for disappointment. The MCU, as much as I deeply love it, has probably skewed our expectations to the crazy side of wonky with this talk about actors portraying the same character for 10+ years as a regular, normal thing we can depend on.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 22, 2022 9:20 pm

Realistically... maybe two years with a couple of movie appearances for Cox. One season would be plenty of icing for me to be honest. Wrap up the story a little tighter, probably have some more Bullseye and Kingpin, a couple of cameos, then move on to having him show up in a couple of movies, cameo in someone else's show (White Tiger or someone, please), then just do a soft retirement.

Even regular shows, such as dramas, you have people jumping ship on sure-thing series to attempt a movie career, and a lot of times it seems like they'd prefer playing a variety of roles than a steady paycheck while being locked into one for years. So yeah, I don't really expect seven seasons at all, just saying that's likely the MOST we could possibly ever hope to get.
KnightDamien

Sun May 22, 2022 9:46 pm

After the phenomenal story told in S1-3 of Daredevil.. yeah. I honestly think the best use of the character is to tie it all off in a really good, 7 or 10-episode final season and maybe get Cox to resume the role on occasion for movie or TV show tie-ins not directly related to DD. Spider-Man, Moon Knight, Ghost Rider.. whatever. And even then, you're basically asking him to stick around and be willing to play this character for at least another four or five years. And there's no reason he can't continue to make appearances as the character even FIFTEEN years from now. Ford came back to play Han Solo, after all. It's more about expecting them to -consistently- appear that's an issue, I think.

And times have changed. It used to be that getting a role on a regular show that never ends was perfect. You show up, get a regular paycheck as an actor, and by the end of 6-9 seasons you could retire if you wanted to, or just go do whatever. But the paychecks for these shows has ballooned to obscene proportions where you can be the leading actor for one season of a show and retire. They don't -need- a show to go on for years and years and years, so you see actors more often really voicing that preference for doing a lot of different things rather than having one good gig they can count on. 'Cause they just don't need that like they used to.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 22, 2022 9:55 pm

If it were up to me, after Defenders, I would have folded them all into one ensemble series. It would have lifted a lot of weight off the weaker shows and also helped spread those stories out without padding. So on Disney, rather than a Daredevil series, I'd say Marvel Knights or something. By season four, the main cast could be entirely different from season one, but it would have changed over time and the focus could be constantly shifting as characters rotate in and out. You could have plenty of street level characters, including the Netflix cast, but even introduce a supernatural element or two, etc.

As much as I felt Daredevil made total sense as long form television when the Netflix series was announced, I now believe an ensemble, street level show could as well. The budget doesn't need to be super high, and there are plenty of characters and stories to tell.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 22, 2022 10:24 pm

Given where they left Kingpin and the questions about Hawkeye's wife maybe being SHIELD, I could see DD getting involved with that storyline (and with whatever they have planned for Echo) with Kingpin being the nexus.

If they want to pull everyone in then Luke Cage, Punisher, Colleen, Misty, Claire, et al could fit in with that overall storyline across a couple of shows, especially if they want to keep Fisk as a big bad for a bit and bring back Bullseye.

Not sure I see the direction they took Moon Knight in meshing well with DD, although they did go mystical with the Hand stuff.

As for the rest of the Netflix characters, if (and I think it is a big if) they bring back Iron Fist I think getting him involved with Shang Chi somehow is a possibility (maybe Hand related issues), and I'm not sure they do more with Jessica Jones.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 22, 2022 10:38 pm

I admit I didn't see the final season of Jessica Jones but I know Luke and Danny were both left in spots that could lend to something interesting. Colleen is a must, but Danny was JUST getting interesting. And Ward absolutely needs to come back, heh. But yeah, Kingpin would be a great nexus, with his connections to the Hand as well as Luke being something of a rival to him, and all the street characters that haven't had direct dealings with him could easily fall into his orbit.
KnightDamien

Mon May 23, 2022 12:58 am

Iron Fist was my least favorite of the Netflix stuff, but by the end of it I was pretty interested in what they could do with that story going forward. And we all know where that went. [email protected]#$' nowhere.

While I agree conceptually that ensemble casts might be the way to go, with maybe a season or two for individual characters that might warrant it or as lead ins to the main show. BUT, I don't know that I agree about the budget thing. I might, wasn't it rather famously the budget that was blamed for tanking Defenders -- because they had to spend so much money just on the cast (because they're basically all the main character), they couldn't afford a lot of FX and shit? It's not like Big Bang Theory where you have the massive audience, advertising, and basically three or four sets being constantly re-used, with almost no special effects budget at all.
Marvel stuff really does need a sizeable FX budget for a lot of the characters. More budget the more characters you want to use. And more budget the more actors you need to use to portray those characters.

It's a tough balance, is what I'm saying.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 23, 2022 1:07 am

And you're right, of course. And I definitely can't argue against the idea that a bigger budget for villains/foes/effects would likely have solved a lot of my issues with Defenders.

I think overall, a Marvel Knights (or whatever) ensemble series could benefit from being MOSTLY a character study, with street action, following character drama and typical noirish tropes/detective plots, with the finales being where a lot of the budget goes. If Defenders had been ninja fights in an office building, then ninja fights in a restaurant, then ninja fights one more place, then a cave fight with a dragon and monsters and such, a LOT could have been forgiven. But it reminded me of El Mariachi where Robert Rodriguez had blown through all his larger stunt guys and as he got to the end, the bad guys got younger and skinnier. And it kinda undercut a lot of the drama etc. I'm apparently still one of the few fans who really loved this version of Elektra, even on Defenders. I don't know what this says, but she really reminded me of an ex I had who was nuts in a darkly attractive way, so I really felt for Matt on this. And I didn't want them to end up together but I totally got the tightrope he walked there. And I really enjoyed their final moments together even if I didn't quite love the way we got there.
K_Steel
Prognostibator

Mon May 23, 2022 1:23 am

Pretty sure Michael Keaton made his debut as Batman.... at the same age as Charlie Cox now.

He's at the ideal age for this role.

The problem with this Disney Plus Daredevil show is less the casting (which is great), but the writing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScUDomC1om8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2OT2dP9RQU

They should have at least got Drew Goddard onboard for this. The producers they hired... seem like the type that would produce safe, middle of the road MCU content, under studio mandates.
Ibentmyman-thing
Shakespeare of Fwoosh

Mon May 23, 2022 1:44 am

Yeah, the problem with this show is definitely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeoPletaLKing

Return to “The Multiplex”