Lord of the Rings - The Rings of Power (Amazon Series)

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Lord of the Rings - The Rings of Power (Amazon Series)

Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:13 pm

I was surprised to learn we're almost done with the season too.
Reefer Shark
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:38 pm

Oh man, that's a bummer! I hadnt paid attention to how many episodes are in these seasons. I think my brian figured they would be fairly long seasons given how long it took them to produce the show.

All good though. As long as they keep it at this quality, I'm all good and will stay on board!
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:06 pm

Same here on assumptions. Hopefully the next season doesn't take five years.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:54 am

I'm now two episodes behind. I -want- to keep watching, and I will. But I have very little motivation to really stick with it. It's 100% not 'must watch.' For me, that is.
Bip
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:04 am

I'm not sure why the end of the last episode surprised me so much when we that would be coming at some point. I guess I didn't think it was going to happen this soon into the show.
Bip
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:18 pm

I'm digging the show. I'm not really bothered by most of the changes in this adaption considering the only second age stuff that they can cover is in the appendices. There is one thing that is really bothering me and I hope I'm wrong....
Spoiler! :
I'm rolling my eyes at the inevitable love triangle plot with Galadriel, Halbrand, and Celeborn. I saw it coming when it was mentioned that Celeborn would not be in the first season and their very first interactions together on the raft and on Numenor. It confirmed it to me when she was talking to Theo and she said she never saw Celeborn again. They literally went out of their way to yell "Hey, he's still alive!" in that scene.

Also, isn't it too early for Durin's Bane to be up and about right now?
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:33 pm

Bip wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:18 pm
I'm digging the show. I'm not really bothered by most of the changes in this adaption considering the only second age stuff that they can cover is in the appendices. There is one thing that is really bothering me and I hope I'm wrong....
Spoiler! :
I'm rolling my eyes at the inevitable love triangle plot with Galadriel, Halbrand, and Celeborn. I saw it coming when it was mentioned that Celeborn would not be in the first season and their very first interactions together on the raft and on Numenor. It confirmed it to me when she was talking to Theo and she said she never saw Celeborn again. They literally went out of their way to yell "Hey, he's still alive!" in that scene.

Also, isn't it too early for Durin's Bane to be up and about right now?
Spoiler! :
Honestly, it NEVER occurred to me that something romantic might happen between Halbrand and Galadriel, but I'm also kinda oblivious to that sort of thing.

With the Balrog, it was known as Durin's Bane for killing Durin VI (I knew about this but had to look up which Durin and also the timespan), who is the grandson of Durin IV (who is friends with Elrond on this show). a little more than a thousand years after Durin VI is killed is when the Fellowship encounter it. I'm not really sure when in the second age the show is set, but the Durin lineage gives an indication at least. I think it still fits though as it's not until the dwarves dig down that low that the Balrog emerges and goes to town on them. Durin III apparently isn't going further with it, so I assume During IV will be the one to start the dig and who knows how many years it will take to get that low. Apparently a couple generations.
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:30 pm

As someone just along for the ride and hasn't read the books, I'm really enjoying this. Last weeks battle episode was really great. It does get slow at times, but with a bunch of hour+ episodes, that's to be expected. The Balrog tease put a huge smile on my face.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:33 pm

Spoiler! :
Well, as someone who read the books a ton until the movies came out, heh, but still actually sat and read the Guide To Middle Earth a lot... I'm still enjoying it. I admit I never read the Silmarillion or any unfinished tales etc. I really enjoy lore so I just naturally try to make things fit in my head, even if only after the episode finishes. But yeah, the Balrog was a great cap.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:20 am

Ru_1977 wrote:
Spoiler! :
Honestly, it NEVER occurred to me that something romantic might happen between Halbrand and Galadriel, but I'm also kinda oblivious to that sort of thing.
Speculation
Spoiler! :
You misspelled Sauron as H a l b r a n d...
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:53 am

fac wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:20 am
Ru_1977 wrote:
Spoiler! :
Speculation
Spoiler! :
You misspelled Sauron as H a l b r a n d...
Haw!

Maybe. But my speculation is
Spoiler! :
He's the King of the Dead who splits on Isildur and gets cursed.
Bip
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:18 pm

All of my speculations were wrong. With the finale now aired I have no idea how I should feel about it. It was....weird?
Spoiler! :
-I kind of still think Durin's Bane being awake right now is a bit early. The dwarves haven't really began mining mythril yet.

-The Numenor scenes didn't really serve a purpose other than the king dying. I guess that will be touched on next season. Maybe Pharazon will make a political move against Miriel because of her blindness.

-I guess it pretty much confirmed the stranger to be Gandalf. It confused me because I thought wizards appeared as old men. I guess it could just be down to interrupting that they didn't "officially" come to Middle Earth and taking liberties. There is a story in Unfinished Tales that mentions Olorin coming to Middle Earth during the second age. Tolkien sometimes contradicted himself in his notes and other books because he would forget, change his mind, or think of something new.

That being said, the fight with the harfoots and the witches was weird and hard to follow. The way that the scenes were cut together made it confusing. One minute they were facing off with them head on then out of nowhere they were hiding. The witches were incapacitated then a second later they're going after the harfoots. I don't know who edited that scene together but they did a horrible job.

-A lot of people called Halbrand being Sauron. I really hoped he would be someone who became one of the nine. The elven rings were the last to be made before the one ring, Having them made first is weird but I won't really know what direction they're going with it until the next season. Also if they don't diverge on the ring creations anymore, at some point down the line Annatar will make an appearance. That means Celebrimbor would be fooled twice. No wonder the version of him in the Shadow of Mordor series was so pissed.

-This episode also loses points because there was no Durin.
A lot of people complain about Galadriel and the actress that plays her but I don't really have a problem with either. The guy that plays Elrond is also growing on me and I thought that his scenes with Durin and this episode in particular were his strongest scenes of the season.

I thought the first episode was meh but really enjoyed the other six. This finale was just off to me and felt so rushed at points. I hope pacing is something they work on next season. At the moment I'm juggling between meh and just not really caring for this episode. Maybe I'll watch it again later after sitting on it some more to see if I change my mind.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:58 pm

Bip wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:18 pm
All of my speculations were wrong. With the finale now aired I have no idea how I should feel about it. It was....weird?
Spoiler! :
-I guess it pretty much confirmed the stranger to be Gandalf.

-A lot of people called Halbrand being Sauron.
Spoiler! :
I think it will be a mistake if it is Gandalf. I hope they are knowingly playing into that speculation and assumed folks would make that connection, but it doesn't make much sense for Gandalf to have been around at this point and no one (Galadriel, Elrond) else seemed to know about it in the third age. Does he sit out this fight and help the Shire be established? Seems odd to me.

I am surprised that Sauron was revealed to Galadriel this early. I can get revealing to the audience, but not sure how this works in terms of why the elves would ever have/use their rings.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:07 am

Well, as I said before, I'm not much of a Middle Earth historian. I read the trilogy several times, but haven't in twenty years now. Read the Hobbit once and that is all. Never touched the other books outside of the Guide to Middle Earth, which I did real many times. And Gandalf and Sauron's entries were my favorite to read.

That said...
Spoiler! :
In my mind, it is absolutely Gandalf. It has to be. I didn't really want it to be until his last scene, then I decided if it isn't I, and I imagine a lot of casual fans, will be let down. He's a major part of LOTR, and having a show called Lord of the Rings really needs him as part of it. His relationship with the Harfoots makes utter sense, and come on... his last line of the episode?

Gandalf was always the heart of LOTR for me. He also always reminded me of an 'aunt', my mom's best friend. Not just for personality but Fellowship was the last movie she went to see before she died. I don't think I've seen the Balrog scene since without crying. I admit I was choked up by that last scene with Nori.

And, to my understanding, when Gandalf arrived in Middle Earth, he was given the ring and set about his task. It makes sense to me, with my admitted ignorance of the full spectrum of the books, that he could have arrived much earlier, half-formed. He's going to Rhun, and maybe he won't come back to the western part until the Third Age, arriving in the Grey Havens where Cirdan meets him and everyone assumes that's when he first showed up. Or maybe he 'dies' in Rhun and is sent back in the Third Age.
Either way, how I feel about the show today is severely different from when I watched the first episode. I actually plan to rewatch the season soon.
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:38 am

I think the identity of Sauron was continually being teased and misdirected. Much like the marketing of this show. I did like the payoff.

I haven’t read the books.

I never quite understood the rings of power. I completely understood the plan of Sauron to basically control Middle Earth by connecting all these rings to his own. But I never understood why the Elves would buy into the rings.

I read that the Elven rings were next to last made but the order the story goes is 3 Elves, 7 Dwarves, and 9 for men. That seems like an order this show is taking. It will be interesting to see how the Dwarves kings come about and get distributed. Then to see the corruption on men and forming his servants.

Now I understand the three Elven rings more. I didn’t get it till this show. I like how Galadriel gave up her brother’s blade as a pure base to bind with the Mithril and make the rings… it was great symmetry to her clutching the blade for combat and now the rings become a balance to combat the darkness of Sauron and preserve the Elves remaining in Middle Earth.

I haven’t read the books but I think that was well written.

I like how they showed Sauron traveling around learning the secrets of smithing to create his powerful weapon. He was learning how to bind and forge. I think that is good writing too.

I am not quite following the relationship of Morgoth and Sauron. Lieutenant who coveted the power Morgoth had? Was he bound like say Vader was to Palpatine? The show introduced some concepts akin. So I’m curious. I’m also curious how the orcs fit in. Sauron uses them to do his bidding but this show seems to indicate the orcs were abandoned. I also don’t quite get Sauron’s position when Morgoth was defeated. Banished? In hiding? I’ll have to watch again to see what this story presents.

It was a slow start but it picked up quite well. Loved seeing the plot to activate mount Doom. Good stuff! Loved seeing the Neumanorians rallying to come to the aid. Really enjoyed seeing how the Elven Rings came about and why. Very interesting stuff.

I want more monsters and Dwarves next season. Still not sure how they do five seasons and where they end it. Up to the fight that kicks off Jackson’s film?

Thwipp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “The Multiplex”