Lord of the Rings - The Rings of Power (Amazon Series)

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Lord of the Rings - The Rings of Power (Amazon Series)

Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:19 pm

New series that was announced an age ago but finally a teaser trailer at least.

https://youtu.be/QhqGCPMfkNM
PresidentJuggernaut
Runs Around in Tights

Re: Lord of the Rings - The Ring of Power (Amazon Series)

Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:19 pm

And a title at least. Though it's "The RingS of Power"

I'm excited to see more from this, it has been such a long time coming. I'm a fan of the The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings books, but never read The Silmarillion or ancillary stuff. So other than knowledge of some broad strokes, I'm excited to experience new stories in this world. I do appreciate the choice to coexist with the Peter Jackson films rather than remake or compete.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: Lord of the Rings - The Rings of Power (Amazon Series)

Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:44 pm

PresidentJuggernaut wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:19 pm
And a title at least. Though it's "The RingS of Power"

I'm excited to see more from this, it has been such a long time coming. I'm a fan of the The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings books, but never read The Silmarillion or ancillary stuff. So other than knowledge of some broad strokes, I'm excited to experience new stories in this world. I do appreciate the choice to coexist with the Peter Jackson films rather than remake or compete.
Ugh, thank you for pointing that out! Corrected.

I never read that stuff either but I read the Complete Guide To Middle Earth cover to cover heh. I was one of those who read the trilogy almost every year from age 12 to... 24 or whatever I was when the movies came out. I feel like the movies are the best trilogy of all time and as close to perfect as a series can get, so the bar is kinda high for me though I would be happy just living in the world again rather than expecting something as good as Jackson's movies. (I can appreciate some of the Hobbit movies but don't watch them nearly as much.)

But you're right, it's been so long since they announced casting and such. It was like every time I finally settled on "guess it's not happening anymore", they'd throw out a nugget. And this teaser is like that too. I keep assuming it's dead in the water. And still not really clear on when it's set, or if it's showing more than one era, or who the focus is. I've read things here and there but really looking forward to a proper trailer.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:00 pm

Stupid question time: What happened to the 'subject' rings by the time Bilbo comes along?
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:09 pm

AdrienVeidt wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:00 pm
Stupid question time: What happened to the 'subject' rings by the time Bilbo comes along?
The elvish ones were still in possession by two Elves and Gandalf had the third. Most of the Dwarvish ones were in dragon tummies, and the human ones were still owned by the Nazgul.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:28 pm

Elrond and Galadriel to be precise for the Elves, although Elrond was not the original wielder of his ring.

I'm looking forward to this series, with some trepidation - will be interesting to see the Second Age and they have a good outline of a story from Tolkien's writings, but also having a lot leeway to expand which may not go so well. We will see.

I wish someone would do a cut of the Hobbit that took out most of the extended action sequences - there is an excellent maybe 2 1/2 hr long version of the book in there, along with a nice 45 minute short film around Gandalf's adventures as an appendix.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:26 pm

fac wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:28 pm
I wish someone would do a cut of the Hobbit that took out most of the extended action sequences - there is an excellent maybe 2 1/2 hr long version of the book in there, along with a nice 45 minute short film around Gandalf's adventures as an appendix.
That's funny because I haven't watched the theatrical cuts of LOTR since the theater but Hobbit needed to be shorter. Lindsay Ellis did an incredible breakdown on what happened with the Hobbit and why the studio forced Jackson to bloat them up. It's in two parts (actually three, heh heh).

https://youtu.be/uTRUQ-RKfUs

I've seen fan edits attempting to make it into the truncated, two film version but I don't know how to download fan edits heh. I would love if Jackson were ever allowed some sort of "director cut" to get as close to his actual vision as possible.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:02 pm

Tolkien tried to re-write the Hobbit to match the style of Lord of the Rings (after already revising the chapter where Bilbo gets the ring from Gollum), hoping to make it more serious and epic, as compared to the children's adventure book that it was originally. He abandoned the concept after a chapter or two as it just didn't work.

I thought the Hobbit films suffered the same fate.

And I love the LotR trilogy - seeing the marathon with the two extended editions on the big screen followed by the premiere of Return of the King was amazing. But I rarely revisit the Hobbit films.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:22 pm

Yeah, there are bits of the Hobbits I might rewatch now and then but LOTR is just wonderful. Easily one of the best comfort-watches for me.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:01 am

I am still the exact amount of excited/trepidatious as I pretty much always have been since this show was announced.
Really can't wait to get to SEE it. Any year now....
Reefer Shark
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:01 am

ha yeah, same! I was super excited the first couple of years I heard this was in development.

Still excited to see some expansion on this beloved franchise, hopefully they do the movies justice. The LOTR trilogy is a timeless classic, and I think I'm one of the few that actually really enjoyed the Hobbit trilogy, especially desolation of Smaug.

The teaser doesnt give us much to go by, but at least something is coming finally!
DerRabbi
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:05 am

Pretty much the only parts of the Hobbit films I can still enjoy are the Riddle Game and some of the Unexpected Party. As bad as all the studio additions and demands were on the film, there's a part of me that doubts Jackson had it in him to make a very good film even without the studio interference. His filmmaking had only gone down hill since the LOTR trilogy already. Particular his action sequences of weightless spiraling coincidences really were becoming tiresome even when he was writing his own checks post LOTR. I'm sure it would have been better, but I doubt it would capture the magic of LOTR.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:17 am

Reefer Shark wrote: The teaser doesnt give us much to go by, but at least something is coming finally!
Yeah, that's the frustrating thing. I've said this before (here or elsewhere, I don't remember), but I am WAY over this whole thing where companies announce a product seventy-four years in advance, and then drip feed minuscule announcements like 'here's what FONT we're going to use on the Blu-Ray cover!' and 'here's a nineteen second preview of the music from eight minutes into the final credits.'

Just.. just.. [email protected]#$ off. It's not 'keeping people invested.' It's laborious and horrible. Not to mention depressing when you see there's finally a trailer for this thing you've been looking forward to for several years and the trailer, after all this time, is the [email protected]#$ logo and a remix of a voice-over from 20 years ago.

DerRabbi wrote: Pretty much the only parts of the Hobbit films I can still enjoy are the Riddle Game and some of the Unexpected Party. As bad as all the studio additions and demands were on the film, there's a part of me that doubts Jackson had it in him to make a very good film even without the studio interference. His filmmaking had only gone down hill since the LOTR trilogy already. Particular his action sequences of weightless spiraling coincidences really were becoming tiresome even when he was writing his own checks post LOTR. I'm sure it would have been better, but I doubt it would capture the magic of LOTR.
I've said this before and I will say it again; Peter Jackson is not nearly as good a filmmaker as he's made out to be. He's passable. Not saying he's the worst. But I spent a LOT of time in years past watching everything ancillary to the LotR trilogy; all the extended features and interviews and all that stuff. What I gathered from that was that a lot of the real work was assigned to other people, who also tended to act like Jackson's handlers, and a lot of the worst decisions (like Witch-King's LAUGH-inducing stupid [email protected]#$ gigantic flail) were all PJ. Like, he gets credit for getting the entire project off the ground and -helping- to create something that's pretty damn amazing. Absolutely. No question.

But LotR maybe more than even most other films, was such a massive collaborative effort that PJ barely needed to do anything to make it work because everyone involved was firing on all cylinders. When he needed to do more of the actual work and make good decisions that were solely his to make... we get something more like The Hobbit - which is a terrible mess that is only watchable when fans condense it down into a single film with all the stupid PJ shit cut out of it.

What I'm saying is.. I'm actually really looking forward to something set in this version of the universe, with the established aesthetic and actors (if applicable), but that PJ doesn't have his hands on at all. If nothing else.. just to see how other people handle it.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:26 am

I can get behind the collaboration idea. I always make sure to give credit to Boyens and Walsh for the writing as well, but sometimes LOTR had up to, what, six units shooting at once? The bonus features were why I kept buying new versions of the Extended cuts, and some of that stuff is nearly as rewatchable to me as the films themselves, but the passion and talent shown in the BTS footage is just rampant and overwhelming.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:38 am

I give Jackson a lot of credit as a director, so wouldn't go as far as that to say it was his supporting team - I think that is unfair. But he works better with denser stories and limited resources (like Heavenly Creatures) than high concept and do whatever you want (like King Kong).

That's mainly because I think Jackson loves developing action sequences more than anything - and all of the different mini-parts within the action scenes - the "gags" as they are called - so when you have a dragon and a metal forge he goes over the top with all the situations he can get his characters into. In LotR there is so much story to cover, and I give him a lot of credit for covering almost all of it, that even the extended battles are somewhat constrained as he only had so much running time to spend on them. So when some economy of storytelling is forced on him, he makes better balanced films. The Hobbit is the opposite - I think what he loved was all the things that happened in scenes like the barrel escape sequence, or the goblin escape sequence, so that those go on too long and become impossible to take seriously, culminating in the open canvas he had for showing the Battle of the Five Armies - that goes on forever as if it is the climax of the films, when in the book it was mostly irrelevant to the story Tolkien was telling. But given the Hobbit is pretty slight to begin with, he has all the room in the world to expand things out. I think he wanted to do three films because he didn't want to cut down the action.

Return to “The Multiplex”