Matrix Resurrections

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
Logan622
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Matrix Resurrections

Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:31 am

Surprised that no one has started a topic on this yet… Teaser trailer below

https://youtu.be/9ix7TUGVYIo

Appreciate all the call backs to the original trilogy, but I have a feeling this will be nothing more than a money grab that capitalizes off of nostalgia… thoughts?
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Re: Matrix Resurrections

Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:46 pm

Logan622 wrote: but I have a feeling this will be nothing more than a money grab that capitalizes off of nostalgia… thoughts?
The opposite of this, is my thoughts.

When this film was originally announced as something that might happen I was immediately like 'UUUGH... [email protected]#$' wwhhhhyyyyy?' because I very much thought there was nowhere to go with this story and no reason to revisit except because the first three were successful and the studio/team had no better ideas.

Watching the trailer, it actually seems like they're going in a really interesting direction and may, in fact, have something to say with this film. I'm not saying it will DEFINITELY be good. But I no longer worry that it is -definitely- just a cynical ploy to get money out of people that were teens in the late '90s. I think the fact that they were able to bring Reeves back makes me feel a lot more confident here as well. He's stupid rich and doesn't even spend his money, so he's become fairly well known as someone that does films because he likes the script and thinks it will be fun to make and fun to watch, rather than someone that takes any job because he needs the money to buy a smaller yacht to put inside his bigger yacht in case his luxury yacht is in the shop.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:38 pm

It's been common knowledge the previous 2 sequels were more about the studio pressuring them into making more than them having a good story to tell. Now it looks like they have that good story to tell, imho. I've seen a theory this is about an earlier iteration of Neo and the Matrix where he refused Morpheus' offer but apparently it didn't stick.
SalemCrow
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:53 am

I've seen speculation that
Spoiler! :
it's actually years after the last film, and the new "Agents" are part of the machines that don't like the truce that was reached at the end. If you rewatch the trailer you'll notice one scene with Neo in a tank, bald, with his eyes burnt out. It's the next generation of the Matrix, and the same story is playing out again. There's also the woman with the white rabbit tattoo that's seen with Neo. They also took the "red pill/blue pill" thing to be the 'medication' NPH's character prescribes Neo within the Matrix for his 'condition'.
Logan622
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:53 am

There’s a brief clip where Neo is looking in the mirror, and he has a totally different face

In a similar fashion, you see in the trailer a moment when Trinity is yelling, and there being multiple “faces” vibrating around her, one of which is the face of the girl with blue hair

So it seems that whatever the next iteration of the Matrix is, the blue pill prevents people from seeing themselves as they truly are (or something along those lines)

(Given the director’s gender transition and heavy socio-political stances, I’m sure there will be symbolism galore strewn about this film)
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:04 am

There ain't a bottle big enough to capture that Matrix lightning again. Does anybody realize how ****ing impossible it is to make a timeless classic sci-fi film that improves with age? That's The Matrix. It did it. It's a once in a decade, maybe once in two decades type of thing to accomplish in sci-fi, and that little flick pulled it off. The Wachowskis certified their genius in pretty much the single hardest cinematic genre in which to do so.

And then the subsequent attempts stumble out the block and are horrid. Nothing they do afterwards with this series has withstood the test of time, much less measured up in any way to the original. And because of the veneer of continuity that they need to pump into the sequel scripts, they actually turn out to be below par sci-fi flicks caught up in meandering world building that tries to flesh out the mystique of a story best left with the first movie's ending. (The Animatrix is about as good as it got afterwards because it was a bunch of visionaries doing things that didn't interfere; it was also viscerally disturbing in a way that no other Matrix production has ever been)

If it's phenomenal, awesome. I love to be proven wrong with movies. It revives your faith in the downward spiral of cinema. Before I saw Iron Man I thought to myself, "no frikkin' way will this work," but then one cinematic universe and about $20 billion in box office later... However, this will be bland like every modern grave robbery studio job and I'm not gonna give them my two hours, since I already gave them 4 hours too many with the other sequels.

Return to “The Multiplex”

Recent Topics