The Book of Boba Fett

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: The Book of Boba Fett

Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:19 pm

All other issues aside was anybody else bothered by how there's nothing holding the atmosphere to that Ringcity?

All I could think about watching all that was how much I really need my balls to stop being tickled by not seeing a 3D Imax Ringworld movie and only lesser knock-offs of Niven's idea. I need my brain broken by what not having a horizon looks like.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:44 pm

JPC wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:03 am
I had no idea S3 of Mando was even in production (is that confirmed anywhere?),
Yes they started filming in October but paused a couple weeks ago due to Covid.
legendkiller533
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:04 pm

JPC wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:03 am
Ru_1977 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:43 pm
Supposedly two more (total of seven).
Seven is such a random number. My farfetched theory (though not that farfetched): Disney was very unhappy with how Book of Boba Fett turned out as a series and decided to insert the S3 premiere of Mando as an episode here to "right the ship" pun intended.

ANYWAY - I'm 77% convinced Disney took the Mando S3 premiere and made it an episode here. And for being an insane call - it was a good one.
Its pretty far fetched.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:54 pm

Wasn't the episode count known before the first one aired?
RoboKillah
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:56 pm

And Mando's voice was in the trailers before the season even started.

Plus it fits right into the storyline of the season, right down to the tried and true Star Wars "The person you're looking for just happens to be right there. No, seriously, RIGHT THERE!"

Love it.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:45 pm

RoboKillah wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:56 pm
And Mando's voice was in the trailers before the season even started.
I agree that this Mandalorian episode was always part of the plan. Rumors about him appearing, and even flying an N1 starfighter were out there before the show even started airing. That said, I still don't think that's his voice in the trailer. If you're thinking of another part, apologies and please let me know, but the "I've heard otherwise" line (which a lot thought sounded like Pascal, which is why I assume you're referring to it) was Robert Rodriguez as Mok Shaiz.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:02 am

I think JPC was implying that after they had the 6 episodes for Boba Fett in the can and looked at it, that they decided it needed some more oomph - so moved up what was to be the Mando premiere to fit it into the series as a bonus and create some intrigue.

It wouldn't take much to add in the brief scene of Fennec offering the money to Din to make it seem like it was part of the Boba storyline (possibly a scene that never had been in the Mando episode initially, if JPC is correct), and Din did decline at the end of the episode, which tells me he isn't going to be back for too much the rest of the way. So while maybe Din was going to appear in the series at some point, I suspect that was set for the end of the season, depending on how the fight goes for Boba. I will not be surprised if next episode Fennec looking for other guns for hire and if Din only has a brief cameo the rest of the way.

I'm even going to guess at this point that the show was planned to be linear, and the first episode was with the Sandpeople, ep 2 was him and Fennec getting his ship back and knocking over Bibb, ep 3 and 4 was the current events of him taking over and building his team. The writing in specific scenes makes more sense if it was to come earlier in the series. Boba lays out to Fennec his rationale and introduces the cybernetics - before he takes over and before we see the scooter gang. Even his need for the bacta tank pops up after he tries to retrieve his armor. Everything that seemed unexplained or off about the show - why is he doing this, why the bacta tank, why the scooter kids - would have been explained in episode 2 if they expected it to be linear. But I'm guessing the episode with the Sandpeople may have been too slow moving and too bleak of an ending to launch the show, or it seemed off after the tag in the Mando episode was killing Bibb to go backwards in time. So they could have planned the bacta dreaming framing device for eps 1 (Sandpeople) and 2 (Fennec), ending with the hero shot of Boba being told he is fully healed by the droid, and Ep 3 starts with the Gamoreans being recruited and goes on from there.
MickJohnson
Runs Around in Tights

Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:32 am

K_Steel
Prognostibator

Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:16 pm

There were rumors of behind the scenes drama towards the end of Mandalorian S2's production.

I wonder if "Book of Boba Fett" was just designed to buy them more time to iron out those issues, before production could begin on a proper Season 3.

Book of Boba Fett does unfortunately come across like it was scripted haphazardly.
captaincracker
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:19 pm

I have no idea what was originally planned or not, but this was the first episode that I really liked. I was kind of begrudgingly watching the last few episodes in case it got better and I'm glad I did. I like Fennec as a character and Boba Fett was fine in the Mandalorian, but I feel like Fett is both poorly written (along with a lot of other things) and acted in the show. I thought it was only 6, not 7, but I'm hoping to be surprised by the last 1 or 2 episodes.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:03 am

Yeah, really running out of time to make this show awesome.
Bashbash99
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:19 pm

its amazing to me that by far the best ep of BoBF was the one where the titular character did not appear at all. oof. But hey it was a great hour of television so who am i to complain?

If anything, this kind of sold me more of Mando S3. I was somewhat concerned as i don't find the prospects of a battle to see who will rule Mandalore all that compelling, but this episode made me think Mando without Grogu can still headline a compelling series... and of course we were all but promised that the little guy will reappear at some point.

I think others have pointed this out (maybe even in this thread) but probably best to view BoBF not as a stand-alone series but as a "book" in the Mando Bible, as it were. I'll think of this series as fleshing out one of Mando's supporting characters so that his role/actions will make more sense when Boba inevitable reappears in Mando S3 or S4 or whatever.
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:35 am

Okay that N-1 modified fighter is growing on me. I want to see it in combat. Maybe it has a trunk to hold his stuff. Luke had all sorts of gear in his X-Wing. I know he doesn’t choose droids as companions but that BD unit would fit in the Grogu bubble.

Anyone else see the nods in that dual to the battle of the snake and the mountain from Game of Thrones? Of course it does not end in similar fashion.

Thwipp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MickJohnson
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:16 am

I never got into Game of Thrones but I do know the fight you're talking about (I think it's a good fight ruined by terrible editing).

Can't see any obvious call-backs to it tho...
Benedict
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:46 am

I guess you mean the Viper? Played by Pedro.

Not really, very different fight.

Return to “The Multiplex”