The Book of Boba Fett

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
K_Steel
Prognostibator
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: The Book of Boba Fett

Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:42 pm

This is surprising... or perhaps not.

https://www.businessinsider.com/hbo-max ... rld-2022-1
https://www.syfy.com/syfy-wire/peacemak ... -boba-fett

Peacemaker on HBOMax managed to eclipse Boba Fett on D+.

Impressive considering Max has a smaller subscriber base and Peacemaker is essentially a nobody.
DerRabbi
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:12 pm

fac wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:30 am

Not sure they needed the Boba Fett story to be a "series" at this point, Could have been a couple of one-shots - 1 hr of Boba from Sarlacc to Fennec ending with the scene with killing Bibb, then 1 hr of Boba as crime boss, then after we get to where it needs to be for Season 3 of Mando, adding Fett back in as a Mando side character for a bit.
While I agree with this narratively speaking, I don't think we'll see too many D+ shows being less than 6 episodes long. They will want their Marvel and SW shows to straddle as many months as possible to prevent the subscribe/unsubscribe model of viewership. 6 weeks allows them to straddle 3 months/billing cycles.
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:20 pm

Super fun episode of the Mandalorian squeezed into this series. This one was directed by Bryce Dallas Howard who directed episodes of the Mandalorian before, but not BoBF I think.

Anyway, it was cool to see what Din was up to, but we could have used a tiny bit more to remind us this was an episode of BoBF - even just an interlude scene about what was going on out Mos Espa way - before dropping Fennec in at the last second. Even though we have not seen much of Boba Fett's fighting prowess in this season a squad featuring Din Djarin, Fennec Shand, Black Krrsantan and Boba Fett should probably be pretty intimidating to just about anyone.

It is crazy how much time we as a Star Wars audience spend on Tatooine, though. An entire Galaxy filled with star systems with Tatooine as an unimportant back water planet - but we get virtually all of Movie Episodes 1 and 4 set there, parts of 2 and 6 as well and multiple episodes of the Mandalorian show and all of Book of Boba Fett. I'm sure it's mostly to do with the fact it's cheaper to shoot in desert locations - but I'd love for more of the Star Wars content to explore planets we haven't already been to a bunch (no more Naboo either, thanks).

Hopefully the Cassian Andor and Lando Calrissian projects can give me that.

I have enjoyed Book of Boba Fett fine so far, but this episode was a reminder how much more I enjoy the Mandalorian.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:42 pm

PantherCult wrote:
Super fun episode of the Mandalorian squeezed into this series. This one was directed by Bryce Dallas Howard who directed episodes of the Mandalorian before, but not BoBF I think.
Correct, Rodriguez did two so far and the other two were by two very experienced TV directors.
PantherCult wrote:
It is crazy how much time we as a Star Wars audience spend on Tatooine, though. An entire Galaxy filled with star systems with Tatooine as an unimportant back water planet - but we get virtually all of Movie Episodes 1 and 4 set there, parts of 2 and 6 as well and multiple episodes of the Mandalorian show and all of Book of Boba Fett. I'm sure it's mostly to do with the fact it's cheaper to shoot in desert locations -
With The Volume, I'm not sure how much cheaper it is anymore. A lot of, if not all, the Tatooine scenes the first time they went there in Mandalorian were on the set. I feel like that ring planet was just as expensive to produce.
PantherCult wrote:
I have enjoyed Book of Boba Fett fine so far, but this episode was a reminder how much more I enjoy the Mandalorian.
"Fine so far" and "reminder how much more I enjoy the Mandalorian" are my biggest takeaways from this episode too.
MickJohnson
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:15 pm

My opinion is different.

I just switch my brain off and enjoy the fact that I’m about to be mainlined a dose of new Star Wars.

Gimme that hit once a week and I’m happy.
Ibentmyman-thing
Shakespeare of Fwoosh

Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:16 am

I really haven't had any of the complaints other people have had. With the first episode I understood that this was not going to be a show about the super-badass Boba Fett that dared to tell Vader that Han was no good to him dead, but a severely broken, nearly dead man without a friend in the galaxy who is learning how to live not as a minute-to-minute scoundrel but a fully functional person who is trying to reinventing himself, with all the requisite growing pains. When the choices you've made in your life lead to you being slowly digested in the belly of a sand-monster, then I can understand taking a completely different path, maybe one he's not equipped for.

There are a thousand ways to tell that story, and a thousand ways it could be told way worse than the way this one's being told. Could it be told better? Definitely. Everything can be told better. But that's not to say there's anything wrong with the way this one is being told. If he crawled out of the Sarlacc, been saved by some Bith and had decided to join a jizz band and the entire show was him learning how to play the Kloo horn I could see more of an issue.

And now I actually want to see that show.

"Boba Fett and the Funky Bandalorians."
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:04 am

I get that and don't expect him to be the same character as ESB, or whatever personality I imprinted on him in that movie since he doesn't give a lot of windows about himself. I'm also totally accepting, and get the draw, of a storyline where nearly dying then being adopted into a completely new way of life has utterly changed him. The rebirth concept is great and I'm actually down with it. I loved the flash backs and totally expect the present day stuff to pay that off. I guess my only problem really is how his character in The Mandalorian happened between the flashbacks and the present day stuff, but it doesn't really fit with how they're portraying him. The way he behaves and reacts doesn't feel like the same page. It's just jarring to me to go back and see those scenes then watch how he is handling these situations. There are just a lot of moments I don't feel are very earned and I lay that on writing a script you don't really feel like hammering out as hard as it could be. There are a lot of moments I see people complain about that I don't really mind except for the way they're played out.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:47 am

Boy, that sure was a great new episode of
Spoiler! :
The Mandalorian.
But yeah man.. I'm not even going to pretend to be all high brow about it. I nerded out hard for the entire episode and I was happy the whole time. That's all I need. No complaints.
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:31 am

PantherCult wrote:
It is crazy how much time we as a Star Wars audience spend on Tatooine, though. An entire Galaxy filled with star systems with Tatooine as an unimportant back water planet - but we get virtually all of Movie Episodes 1 and 4 set there, parts of 2 and 6 as well and multiple episodes of the Mandalorian show and all of Book of Boba Fett. I'm sure it's mostly to do with the fact it's cheaper to shoot in desert locations - but I'd love for more of the Star Wars content to explore planets we haven't already been to a bunch (no more Naboo either, thanks).

Completely agreed on Tatooine. The wonder and magic of the Star Wars universe for me is the universe, not the same three locales and 10 characters we've always known. I was in the minority when I disliked the Luke callback in Mando S2, but I've always felt that it's time for Star Wars to expand beyond the Skywalker saga. Isn't KOTOR beloved because it actually explores Star Wars lore and history beyond the familiar? The best episodes of Star Wars: Visions actually took a chance on new stories.

From this episode alone, Tarre Vizsla sounds fascinating. I would so much rather have a show about him than Boba Fett, crime lord.

I probably wouldn't have weighed in on this show, but this episode was a cruel reminder of how fun Star Wars can be. I feel like I don't get any fun outside of The Mandalorian (I will note that I haven't watched Clone Wars or Rebels). This episode had character drama, intrigue, comedy, and joy. Boba hasn't done anything half as interesting as Mando restoring a ship.

My only complaint with this episode is that I almost skipped The Book of Boba Fett entirely. As a Mandalorian viewer, I would've missed crucial plot details. These Star Wars/MCU properties are becoming too interconnected for my taste. You have to watch everything.
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:45 am

I agree that getting 30-50 minutes of Star Wars each week has been a blast.

I was getting into this story. Curious to see how this war was going to play out. I’m more than certain one of those houses are already in league with the Pikes and Mayor to kill Fett. So seeing Fett betrayed and nearly removed could be interesting. I want to see crazy eyes Fett who kicked the crap out of that swoop bike gang.

Din Djarin is freaking great. He has a swagger. His silhouette through the vinyl curtains instantly advertised bad azzery. I’m torn on the new ship. Sure it’s cool but I agree with others it seems less useful for this hunter who lives on the move. It was filmed so dang beautifully. That looked cinematic him zipping that ship around. It would make for a fun dog-fight scene.

A team of Krrsantan, Shand, armored Fett, and Djarin is formidable. They need an equally daunting opponent. Pikes just seem like fodder. I’m sure they will mow through the Pike army and allies amassing at Mos Espa.

Thwipp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
docsilence
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:01 am

I would LOVE to watch a show about Max Rebo's band. A Star Wars band-based comedy. Do it, Disney, you cowards, do it!

I actually agree a LOT about how the Mando stuff has a problem in that not everyone who likes Mando is watching Boba. My GF LOVES Mando but isn't a big SW fan overall, and hasn't bothered watching BOBF. She could watch just that episode and know what she needs to know for next season, but she has someone to tell her she should check it out. It's a great model to force people to watch every new show you put out but not great for sporadic watchers.

But yeah, 30-50 minutes of new SW stuff every week? I can't complain. It's fun, I'm happy to have it.
MickJohnson
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:45 am

docsilence wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:01 am
I would LOVE to watch a show about Max Rebo's band. A Star Wars band-based comedy. Do it, Disney, you cowards, do it!
Bring back Sy Snootles and have them as the house band for a Muppets-style special in December for Life Day :D
MickJohnson
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:50 am

TheSameIdiot wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:31 am
(I will note that I haven't watched Clone Wars or Rebels)
Oh you absolutely have to one day.

And if you can't stomach sitting through 7 seasons of CW, at least start with season 4 and go from there. That's when it ticks up a notch and gets really good. The tail end of the CW run focuses heavily on Mandalore.

Once you get addicted to it, then you'll go back and watch the whole lot, of this I am sure.

Rebels is also really good and is set immediately prior to the Battle of Yavin so will sate your Original Trilogy needs.
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:03 am

Ru_1977 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:43 pm
Supposedly two more (total of seven).
Seven is such a random number. My farfetched theory (though not that farfetched): Disney was very unhappy with how Book of Boba Fett turned out as a series and decided to insert the S3 premiere of Mando as an episode here to "right the ship" pun intended.

I had no idea S3 of Mando was even in production (is that confirmed anywhere?), so this episode was an interesting relief after a lot of boredom (honestly, Ming-Na deserves so much credit for keeping me even slightly interested about Boba).

I'm not a huge Mando fan but this was enjoyable. I thought finding the Armorer and Paz was kinda easy (if there are only three left why didn't those two look for Mando?), and then for Paz to challenge Mando when there are only three of them left - and neither of them mention the logic issue? And then the helmet thing - seriously, how do they eat? Nevermind that Mando keeps a groomed mustache under his helmet which you cannot do with a bendy straw.

ANYWAY - I'm 77% convinced Disney took the Mando S3 premiere and made it an episode here. And for being an insane call - it was a good one.
Mahtion
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:43 am

Prophet924 wrote:I agree that getting 30-50 minutes of Star Wars each week has been a blast.

I was getting into this story. Curious to see how this war was going to play out. I’m more than certain one of those houses are already in league with the Pikes and Mayor to kill Fett. So seeing Fett betrayed and nearly removed could be interesting. I want to see crazy eyes Fett who kicked the crap out of that swoop bike gang.

Din Djarin is freaking great. He has a swagger. His silhouette through the vinyl curtains instantly advertised bad azzery. I’m torn on the new ship. Sure it’s cool but I agree with others it seems less useful for this hunter who lives on the move. It was filmed so dang beautifully. That looked cinematic him zipping that ship around. It would make for a fun dog-fight scene.

A team of Krrsantan, Shand, armored Fett, and Djarin is formidable. They need an equally daunting opponent. Pikes just seem like fodder. I’m sure they will mow through the Pike army and allies amassing at Mos Espa.

Thwipp!

I thought about this too with the new ship but it makes sense S3 will be about Mandalore not bounty hunting. Also the little Grogu spot seems possible to store one captured bounty or a piece of one. Still seems like a larger ship would be more useful on a nearly uninhabitable planet though. Not sure we he can camp on Mandalore now.

Return to “The Multiplex”