The Book of Boba Fett

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
TheCollector1999
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: The Book of Boba Fett

Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:40 am

Best episode by far I’ve enjoyed the series but the first 5 seconds of this episode I knew this was gonna be my favorite by far
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:30 am

That was very odd to me - as noted that could easily have been the first episode of Season 3 of Mando - so while I enjoyed it, I am more than a little surprised by it. I can't think of another show that basically had a full episode interlude that advanced the plot of a different show more than its own. Bold choice.

Not sure they needed the Boba Fett story to be a "series" at this point, Could have been a couple of one-shots - 1 hr of Boba from Sarlacc to Fennec ending with the scene with killing Bibb, then 1 hr of Boba as crime boss, then after we get to where it needs to be for Season 3 of Mando, adding Fett back in as a Mando side character for a bit. We'll see how much of a role Mando plays in this going forward, and where it will leave Fett, and makes me wonder even more about where this is heading.
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:45 am

BoBF? I don’t think so. It’s good but I was enjoying Fett’s story. It felt like one less take for Fett. There’s plenty of time for more of what they decided to give us.
Spoiler! :
So this episode was really season three primer or season opener…it resolved a few things and opened up new adventures.

It surprised me in two ways. One he had less tangible consequence for removing his helmet. The Armorer seems to be skirting a line. She spouted the lore of the saber. She obviously feels Bo Katan proves the curse aspect of a leader who wields the blade not won by creed/battle. Mandalore was laid waste as she held the saber. She being from the Watch also would despise Bo Katan. But she almost entertains the thought Din Djarin is the leader who would rise. She trains him. Then when he reveals he did not keep the way and removed his helmet she pointed him to a means of redemption. It’s obvious the Mythasaur is a beast that would be in these caverns of Mandalore. So by directing him to the waters she is directing him to meet his fate. So that surprised me. I almost expected her to reclaim his helmet since he removed it. But she basically said you have no home here but can claim something greater on Mandalore.

I’m also surprised he seems to know where Grogu is. Luke being Jedi would not encourage attachment and not make Din Djarin aware of where Grogu is. I don’t think it makes sense that the training location would be known. I don’t see Luke making a public Jedi temple. I could be wrong.
What other muscle will Shand recruit? Now I’m pretty sure they keep this pretty straight forward as a gang war with Pikes. I was wondering if they were setting up a reveal of Crimson Dawn. Now I don’t think so. It will be a battle in the streets-Pikes getting waxed by the hired muscle. I will be bummed out if they don’t pay off riding a Rancor…

Thwipp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:46 am

fac wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:30 am
That was very odd to me - as noted that could easily have been the first episode of Season 3 of Mando - so while I enjoyed it, I am more than a little surprised by it. I can't think of another show that basically had a full episode interlude that advanced the plot of a different show more than its own. Bold choice.

Not sure they needed the Boba Fett story to be a "series" at this point, Could have been a couple of one-shots - 1 hr of Boba from Sarlacc to Fennec ending with the scene with killing Bibb, then 1 hr of Boba as crime boss, then after we get to where it needs to be for Season 3 of Mando, adding Fett back in as a Mando side character for a bit. We'll see how much of a role Mando plays in this going forward, and where it will leave Fett, and makes me wonder even more about where this is heading.
Spoiler! :
Yeah this show is quite... peculiar. I do wonder if going linear would have been a better idea. The 'present' day stuff doesn't seem like it has a lot of meat though and it would probably be scene after scene of Boba wandering around to different people saying "no, it wasn't me that tried to kill you".

I would have been really happy to have a six episode miniseries with each episode being a different era. To me, that is something to call Book of Boba Fett. Showing his time after the Clone Wars, his time during the OT, his time with the Tuskens, his time during The Mandalorian, then two after Mandalorian on Tatooine.

Speaking of, this episode made me realize I'm Luke Skywalker and so happy to be off Tatooine! But we had to go back because Boba is a homebody now.

But yeah, feels like they're getting an early start on hyping the next season of Mandalorian with this. The gap between episodes 1 and 2 of season 3 is brutal!

But then, so is Din coming back next week? Is season 3 where he goes from here? Then he comes back for Boba? Is next week just Din back then his show lets us see where he went in between?
featofstrength
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:57 am

Think Haslab can stick a $500 price tag on a Naboo starfighter? I wouldn’t put it past them…
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:18 am

Loved it! Because Mandalorian is the badass we all wish Boba would be.

Prophet924
Thwipp!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:01 am

Boba is choosing not to be the hunter which the Mandalorian is. If Boba was still in that role he would probably be bad azz too.

I’m curious to see if the concept of tribe is explored more in the Mandalorian culture. They tend to thrive on only being hunters…it takes hunters and gatherers to be a tribe.

Thwipp!

docsilence
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:10 am

I keep saying that this is such an incredibly weird show, and I don't dislike it, it's just... super weird. I think my main takeaway is if it was about a no-name new character trying to take over Jabba's old beat, it wouldn't be as jarring. There's just so much baggage with the character. Heck, if this was the Book of Dengar it might not even be as jarring.

This week felt like a backdoor pilot for a show that doesn't need a backdoor pilot. I really liked it, but it was like watching a different show. So, so, so strange.
Benedict
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:44 am

They said before BOBF aired that it was going to weave between the coming series (Mando 3 & Ahsoka).

[“As we introduce other characters, there are opportunities to follow different storylines,” Favreau continued, and pointed to HBO’s smash-hit phenomenon Game of Thrones as a major inspiration for Season 2’s “expanding” story.
“The world was really captivated by Game of Thrones, and how that evolved as all the characters followed different storylines. That’s very appealing to me.”]

That was before season 2 aired, but they had obviously already started writing for the spin offs.
I actually expected more crossovers in the first 4 episodes.

However, if they’d called this Mando season 3 and it had 3 full episodes of Boba instead people would be kicking up a shitstorm. Instead this is a Boba arc (6 episodes with 1 crossover episode).
Once the whole season is out I’ve no doubt this show will be looked on more favourably.

Back to this specific episode. I liked it. Was surprised Mando hurt himself with his own weapon, but I suppose it backed up the idea of lightsabers being unwieldy without being a force user or otherwise heavily trained.

Loved the BD droid (big fan of Fallen Order).
Also found the reference to Terminator a little strange, but it sure was sinister seeing Empire/Skynet.
That space station was a surprise too, have they ever alluded to that in the EU?
Always loves that ship design, glad to see it get some love (and that test drive was a beautiful homage to the Phantom Menace, I like that they appreciate all the films/shows).

I felt Mando season 2 accelerated so quickly to an end point, it was nice to have a ‘side quest’ again.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:49 am

docsilence wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:10 am
I keep saying that this is such an incredibly weird show, and I don't dislike it, it's just... super weird. I think my main takeaway is if it was about a no-name new character trying to take over Jabba's old beat, it wouldn't be as jarring. There's just so much baggage with the character. Heck, if this was the Book of Dengar it might not even be as jarring.

This week felt like a backdoor pilot for a show that doesn't need a backdoor pilot. I really liked it, but it was like watching a different show. So, so, so strange.
Yeah all true. I don't dislike the show but I'm not nearly as excited for it as I hoped I would be.

And also yeah, a backdoor season premiere.

It's funny also because they did do stuff like that on Mandalorian. Boba and also Ahsoka had backdoor pilots, but the title character of the actual show was still a major focal point for both. I saw someone joke "did you see Mandalorian season 3 episode 1? They even mentioned Boba Fett!"
MickJohnson
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:12 am

Benedict wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:44 am
However, if they’d called this Mando season 3 and it had 3 full episodes of Boba instead people would be kicking up a shitstorm. Instead this is a Boba arc (6 episodes with 1 crossover episode).
Once the whole season is out I’ve no doubt this show will be looked on more favourably.
Exactly the words I have been looking for!

BoBF is just more of The Mandalorian but with a different title and opening theme. If you take the precedent of The Clone Wars into account that was a series that delved into a vast and wide-ranging set of storylines. This is just the same thing, with story arcs building up and running alongside each other, except there is no single banner like 'Clone Wars' to cover them with... it's just the early-New Republic era and each story gets its own name.

Just like the comics I guess, with Star Wars, Darth Vader, Doctor Aphra, and War of the Bounty Hunters all running together right now. And I forget where I am up to with all of that :ugh:
Boy Wonder
Attempting to Avoid the Void

Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:45 pm

Guys, I think we’re missing the most important part of the episode

Because this is totally Gus, right? He’s canon now?

sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:50 pm

I did find it a little funny that Din had to check all of his weapons but not his jetpack.
docsilence
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:09 pm

Y'know, the weapons check thing was another point at how this particular season has dealt a lot with the frustrating minutia of living in the Star Wars universe we NEVER see. Annoyance at boarding a ship. Dealing with unmotivated receptionists. Dealing with vermin and other pests. Economic disparity. Trying to calm the mean drunk at the bar. Micro-aggressions about your choice of transportation ("I didn't see your litter arrive"). I think that's why I keep wishing it wasn't about Boba but about someone less renowned. I actually love the idea of exploring the day to day life in Star Wars, I think it's great, but not as grand and mythic as something called the Book of Boba Fett would be expected to be like.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:21 pm

sepster wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:50 pm
I did find it a little funny that Din had to check all of his weapons but not his jetpack.
Or his gauntlets at all. I know he emptied out some stuff but he still has a flame thrower at least.
docsilence wrote: Y'know, the weapons check thing was another point at how this particular season has dealt a lot with the frustrating minutia of living in the Star Wars universe we NEVER see. Annoyance at boarding a ship. Dealing with unmotivated receptionists. Dealing with vermin and other pests. Economic disparity. Trying to calm the mean drunk at the bar. Micro-aggressions about your choice of transportation ("I didn't see your litter arrive"). I think that's why I keep wishing it wasn't about Boba but about someone less renowned. I actually love the idea of exploring the day to day life in Star Wars, I think it's great, but not as grand and mythic as something called the Book of Boba Fett would be expected to be like.
Right, my wife and I were just talking about this. The show is such an odd mixed bag but if you made it a different character, it would have probably been more enjoyable. I see other Fett nerds lamenting how much this show doesn't jibe with his portrayal in the EU (and lamenting the death of the EU while at it), but you don't have to go that far back. Just a year ago everyone got to see how Boba Fett can be but it's difficult (for me at least) to reconcile this character with the guy who beat Stormtroopers to death with a stick then used every weapon on his person and later tried to finish a bar fight with his flame thrower.

It's entirely about what I bring to the show in my head, but "Book of Boba Fett", like you said, felt grand. A year ago I was braced for something epic covering different eras of his life. An episode with Daniel Logan, as he looks now, didn't seem too much to hope for. I'm probably missing something, but it feels like they just weren't sure what to do with the character but have bullet points they're reaching every week. I get that's how to write a show but it shouldn't feel that way.

Return to “The Multiplex”