The Book of Boba Fett

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: The Book of Boba Fett

Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:53 pm

fac wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:42 pm
I also saw speculation, and it had crossed my mind as well, that maybe Fennec was the female Tusken he trained with. But not sure if Fennec has cannon backstory that would refute that.
I've seen that too. I don't think the timeline would work though, and it's already got enough issues really. I also think it's too much of a coincidence to accept.
fac wrote:
it makes me think we are supposed to find him incompetent, out of his depth and without self-awareness.
Hopefully it's on purpose. I know I'm cynical but to me it just feels like "cool dialogue". Then again, the speeder chase in episode 3 definitely feels like it was supposed to be funny. Then you have Boba Fett grabbing a wee droid by the throat and demanding, "Do you know who I am?!" So maybe there's a lot more that is intentional than I'm giving them credit for.
fac wrote:
In retrospect I think the flashback format hurt the show. If the first episode had been 45 minutes of Sarlac to how he got on the throne, and ended with the same shot of killing Bibb and taking over that was the tag from the Mandalorian, then we would have had the backstory to move ahead with the main plot of Boba trying to become a crime boss with less confusion.
I got a hint of that from some reactions to that first episode, and a lot of those same posters reacted to this episode with "this should have been the first episode" and now I get what they meant after your suggestion. I get why they didn't but have the flashback episodes were way too clunky so doing a linear thing might have been smarter.
RoboKillah
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:13 pm

Wait, what? Fennic was in Bad Batch, set around Order 66, doing her bounty hunting thing. Is someone saying she did that, got a bounty on herself, hid among the Tusken, hung out with Boba for years, watched the tribe get slaughtered, jumped back in her old uniform and automatically got shot and left for dead, just to be randomly found by Boba again?

I mean, it's Star Wars, and there's worse connections and coincidence, but....

fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:24 pm

I suspected it didn't make sense for Fennec but couldn't recall why - I didn't watch the Bad Batch series. But could she be a Tusken who went out on her own to be a bounty hunter? Could she have been hiding out with the Tuskens when she was on the run? She chose Tatooine to hide out on, maybe there was a reason for that.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:34 pm

Maybe Fennec knew it wasn't the Niktos who killed the Tuskens because she was there, and it was someone coming after her...and it wasn't Boba's fault...

Obviously this is probably Mephisto level speculation at this point so I welcome the probably deserved ridicule...
RoboKillah
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:15 pm

What reason would she have to act like she doesn't know Boba personally though? They make it seem like he lived with the Tusken for years.

Although, now that I started thinking about Bad Batch, Fennic may be a way to introduce Omega to live action.

Also, I don't think we're down with the flashbacks. Still gotta show how he found his armor and tracked down Mando.

Also, in episode 3 the Pike leader told Boba he was already paying the Nikto gang for protection, why would he pay the Tusken too. Boba takes off to deal with that and the camera lingers. Then ep4 Fennic acts suspicious that a Nikto gang can take out Tusken. Because they both know the Pike and the Nikto worked together. And now the big plan is to run crime....and take down the Pikes. Convenient.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:25 pm

Maybe she never took off her Tusken headgear? She seemed slightly surprised when he introduced himself - I took that as she knew the name Boba Fett and thought he was dead, but maybe she was surprised he didn't recognize her. It would explain her willingness to follow along with his plan if he wasn't a "stranger".

I'm not really a fan of this theory, but Star Wars loves its connections. Plus I feel like there has to be another shoe or two to drop in this show that will upend the story so far.

I wasn't thinking they'd flashback on the armor saga aspect that we already saw on the Mandalorian show (Cobb gets armor from the Jawas, Din takes it, Boba tracks it to Din, Din hands it over).
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:46 pm

RoboKillah wrote:
What reason would she have to act like she doesn't know Boba personally though? They make it seem like he lived with the Tusken for years.
Yeah, I really don't see the Fennec was the Tusken thing having legs. It doesn't really work and isn't necessary. I know people are having issues with why Fennec sticks with him after she is no longer obligated to, but I really think her statement about taking the ride is meant to say it all.
RoboKillah wrote:
Although, now that I started thinking about Bad Batch, Fennic may be a way to introduce Omega to live action.
Didn't Shand also kill Taun We? I wonder if Boba would have any feelings about that but I wouldn't be surprised if that answer is no.
RoboKillah wrote:
Also, I don't think we're down with the flashbacks. Still gotta show how he found his armor and tracked down Mando.
I hope we aren't done but suspect we are. I'll say again I hope for Logan to show up in pre-ANH flashbacks, or even doing a Rosencrantz & Guildenstern thing showing Boba's perspective on things during the OT. Maybe next season but the way they ended the flashbacks in this episode with the last scene from Mandalorian made it seem like shorthand for "and then he got his armor". I would still like to see him following the Jawa trail and getting an Olyphant cameo though.
fac wrote: I wasn't thinking they'd flashback on the armor saga aspect that we already saw on the Mandalorian show (Cobb gets armor from the Jawas, Din takes it, Boba tracks it to Din, Din hands it over).
Right, it's one of those things where they've shown enough for us to get the idea, and that's a tactic this show seems to hinge on more often than not.
RoboKillah wrote:
Also, in episode 3 the Pike leader told Boba he was already paying the Nikto gang for protection, why would he pay the Tusken too. Boba takes off to deal with that and the camera lingers. Then ep4 Fennic acts suspicious that a Nikto gang can take out Tusken. Because they both know the Pike and the Nikto worked together. And now the big plan is to run crime....and take down the Pikes. Convenient.
Right. It's like poetry. heh.
fac wrote: I'm not really a fan of this theory, but Star Wars loves its connections. Plus I feel like there has to be another shoe or two to drop in this show that will upend the story so far.
Yeah, I agree about another shoe to drop but that one would be too much. I think in the moment, some of the audience might say "ohhhh, I get it" but any thought given to the idea after the reveal is gonna unravel it pretty quickly.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:45 pm

Magnuz wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:45 pm

As for good guy/bad guy, whatever his overall intention he's clearly being portrayed as more noble and good hearted than previously implied. You can assume he had changes of heart with his experience living with the tuskens, but they were taken away in three episodes, and it didn't really establish that he was changing character, just learning about them. Either way he's clearly being portrayed as a more heroic character. He's taken over a criminal empire from a vile leader, he's trying to establish control of an empire but he's not doing it with force. He's actively trying to help everyone. He gets asked to stop thieves by a shop owner so he confronts them and immediately offers some street kids a job to help them turn things around and correct the price gouging shop owner. He actively lets people live to show good faith and humanity. He's establishing himself as caretaker rather than a dictator. He doesn't want to rule with an iron fist he wants to help clean up and run the city and his organization.

This boba isn't going to be bad, he's going to go full hero by the end of this and save the day from some overarching evil villain. I can only pray its something more interesting than the boring ass pike gang we've seen so far. Frankly the entire show feels mishandled left and right with a few cool bits in between. In the end they took a virtually blank slate character from the films with little other than a reputation for being fearsome and skilled (going with just the movies not eu content) and made him a soft guy looking for a nice retirement plan. He's the grizzled veteran begrudgingly helping the weak towns folk as he topples a corrupt and evil controlling town political empire. Its not exactly blowing me away if im being honest. We have what? five more episodes left? At this rate i'll be surprised if this gets a second season and theres all the more reason for tem to say he's willing to play live action clones, because he knows his future as boba is limited at this point.

Little late getting back to this thread but:

I think it's -likely- that Boba is going 'full hero' in this story. I'm suggesting, though, that it's not a foregone conclusion. It can be played a different way if they want to, and it's certainly possible that's what the plan is. Every single thing you mention he's done so far, kind of brilliantly if this was their intention, can be read several ways. Did he give kids jobs because he thinks it's the kind thing to do, or because he needed muscle and these kids are easy candidates? Did he let the Bountybacca go free because it was a kind thing to do, or because he doesn't want a rep for killing enemies unnecessarily because then no one has any reason to surrender and everyone will always fight him to the death (historically, executing prisoners of war was a terrible precedent for this exact reason). Does he actively try to help people within his domain because he's such a nice guy, or because that's the most straight-forward and -intelligent- way to ensure for himself power and a steady income?
Morally gray characters don't have to be idiots. And not being a violence-hungry idiot doesn't make a character automatically a white-hat-wearing good guy. There's plenty of room for interpreting his behaviour as almost PURELY self-serving and I'd love it if they run with that in this show. I don't -expect- them to. But it's possible.
Bashbash99
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:47 pm

Ru_1977 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:35 pm
Bashbash99 wrote: Also, did i miss an in-show explanation for why K hates the Trandoshans so much?
Not really but the closest we get is in the first episode when that guy offers Boba a Wookie pelt as a gift. It's tenuous but it's the only thing I can think of.
OK, that works for me. i had forgotten about that tribute offering.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:52 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Warning! FRAT! :
I think it's -likely- that Boba is going 'full hero' in this story. I'm suggesting, though, that it's not a foregone conclusion. It can be played a different way if they want to, and it's certainly possible that's what the plan is. Every single thing you mention he's done so far, kind of brilliantly if this was their intention, can be read several ways. Did he give kids jobs because he thinks it's the kind thing to do, or because he needed muscle and these kids are easy candidates? Did he let the Bountybacca go free because it was a kind thing to do, or because he doesn't want a rep for killing enemies unnecessarily because then no one has any reason to surrender and everyone will always fight him to the death (historically, executing prisoners of war was a terrible precedent for this exact reason). Does he actively try to help people within his domain because he's such a nice guy, or because that's the most straight-forward and -intelligent- way to ensure for himself power and a steady income?
Morally gray characters don't have to be idiots. And not being a violence-hungry idiot doesn't make a character automatically a white-hat-wearing good guy. There's plenty of room for interpreting his behaviour as almost PURELY self-serving and I'd love it if they run with that in this show. I don't -expect- them to. But it's possible.
Thank you, sincerely. This is a fantastic take and makes me want to stop discussing the show altogether until it's finished,heh. In a good way I mean.
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:28 pm

I feel like Boba should have intimidated the other crime bosses by unleashing Krssantan on the Trandoshans at the meeting. Or at least one of them. Boba could give a sentence of explanation about it being revenge for Trandoshans’ history hunting Wookiees. And then have the other crime bosses bow down to Boba as the head crime boss.

That would have been more in character with how I used to think Boba would be in this kind of situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:32 pm

Yeah, in the long run *smart* selfish pricks act decently because on average it works better in the long run. He's lived a life of going directly for the quick pay-out for so long and it's gotten him completely dick-all that wasn't handed down to him by his father. He's not gotten soft, just smarter at how to be effective for his own benefit in the long run.
MickJohnson
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:28 am

You know what needs to happen, right?

A flashback-flashback, right back to the inter-war era (between the Clone Wars and the Galactic Civil War) with a scene featuring this guy after having recovered and rebuilt his father's armour...

Someone makes a joke about the paint job, and he says in his best Cuzzy Bro accent, "Yeah, I'm still figuring out the colours aye."

Magnuz
Tyrant

Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:48 pm

Warning! FRAT! :
KnightDamien wrote:
Magnuz wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:45 pm

As for good guy/bad guy, whatever his overall intention he's clearly being portrayed as more noble and good hearted than previously implied. You can assume he had changes of heart with his experience living with the tuskens, but they were taken away in three episodes, and it didn't really establish that he was changing character, just learning about them. Either way he's clearly being portrayed as a more heroic character. He's taken over a criminal empire from a vile leader, he's trying to establish control of an empire but he's not doing it with force. He's actively trying to help everyone. He gets asked to stop thieves by a shop owner so he confronts them and immediately offers some street kids a job to help them turn things around and correct the price gouging shop owner. He actively lets people live to show good faith and humanity. He's establishing himself as caretaker rather than a dictator. He doesn't want to rule with an iron fist he wants to help clean up and run the city and his organization.

This boba isn't going to be bad, he's going to go full hero by the end of this and save the day from some overarching evil villain. I can only pray its something more interesting than the boring ass pike gang we've seen so far. Frankly the entire show feels mishandled left and right with a few cool bits in between. In the end they took a virtually blank slate character from the films with little other than a reputation for being fearsome and skilled (going with just the movies not eu content) and made him a soft guy looking for a nice retirement plan. He's the grizzled veteran begrudgingly helping the weak towns folk as he topples a corrupt and evil controlling town political empire. Its not exactly blowing me away if im being honest. We have what? five more episodes left? At this rate i'll be surprised if this gets a second season and theres all the more reason for tem to say he's willing to play live action clones, because he knows his future as boba is limited at this point.

Little late getting back to this thread but:

Don't disagree with your assertions about his motives specifically, just that he is still portrayed as primarily a good guy here and there's little to no chance he ends up bad in any way.

He's been given a redemption arc with the tuskens taking him from his selfish bounty hunting ways to being part of a clan and wanting to help others.

He's shown that he wants to take over Jabbas empire but not rule through force and fear but rather respect and honor. He's actively avoided killing enemies in the hopes of turning them to his side and gaining them as allies. It's a choice you can call smart for a villain or noble as a heroic anti hero.

He's consistently portrayed as trying to make things better not just pick up where Jabba and bib left off. His honor bound attitude seemingly based on his time with the tuskens, much like him saving fennic and her helping him reflects the tuskens saving him and him trying to help them.

Point is, the show has built a foundation for him to be a hero not a villain, maybe an anti hero, not unwilling to do some dirty things to achieve his goals but largely heroic. He'll maybe beat up a squad of bikers and seem really violent but not before we see the bikers portrayed as malicious thieves and murders to make Bobas actions more heroic and less criminal.

Everything about this is very trope and formulaic and it's not necessarily terrible to do that, mando followed a very lone wolf and cub style and the entire star wars universe was inspired by other stories so its ok to follow a familiar formula.

The problem stems from the fact that the writing and characters are sub par, Boba for his noble intentions and dark past is constantly portrayed as either inept or flat out stupid. Surviving only by chance or the help of others. He's a hero who shouldn't be a hero he should just be dead at this point. He acts as if he has a grand plan but is constantly confounded by everything going wrong every step of the way. It shows a lack of insight to the criminal mind that shouldn't be an issue for someone who grew up in the criminal underworld or so we would assume.

This is mischaracterization, they've taken a notable bounty hunter and turned him into the honorable but niave hero who's stumbling his way through fighting an evil force.

I could take that journey with a teenage farm boy, but not with a highly trained mandalorian clone bounty hunter who's been fighting his way through space for decades.
Yo.
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:48 pm

RoboKillah wrote:

I think he stayed with the Tuskens for maybe 4-5 years & then roamed the desert for almost a year after the massacre.

When Boba & Fennec returned to the Sarlacc Pit he said "That's where I was trapped all those years ago."

Edit: Just noticed the Fennec / Tusken warrior theory, no thank you. :lol:

Return to “The Multiplex”