The Book of Boba Fett

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Re: The Book of Boba Fett

Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:03 pm

I liked the third episode well enough. I have been loving the flashbacks, so I was sad about the Tuskens.

I just want to see Boba in armor more and being cunning, strategic, and super heroic. I want him to be the guy that Darth Vader had to warn not to take things too far—“No disintegrations.”

I want to see him fight like he did in the Tragedy episode of Mandalorian.

So far, Mando is far more ruthless than Boba.

The fight with Black Krssantan was cool. But I would have liked armored Boba facing Krssantan in a real fight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
K_Steel
Prognostibator
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:17 am

Mahtion wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:25 am

Well we sorta got the Bounty Hunter show through Din but it wasn’t a pure BH adventure because of Grogu. A BH Boba Fett sure would look a bit retread after the Mandalorian so I can see the appeal to evolve his character into something more. It’s just so far the execution has been off or inconsistent to be generous.

True.

My dream scenario for this show would have been to keep Boba Fett as an antagonist, a threat. That's where he works best. Completely lacking the moral compass of Din Djardin.

And the main protagonist would be someone like Dash Rendar, who has to go up against him.

Outrider VS Slave One.

Eventually setting up a Mandalorian VS Boba Fett conflict.
Andron X
I come from the land up over

Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:40 am

I like the way you think K_Steel.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:47 am

Akatsuki wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:03 pm
I liked the third episode well enough. I have been loving the flashbacks, so I was sad about the Tuskens.

I just want to see Boba in armor more and being cunning, strategic, and super heroic. I want him to be the guy that Darth Vader had to warn not to take things too far—“No disintegrations.”

I want to see him fight like he did in the Tragedy episode of Mandalorian.

So far, Mando is far more ruthless than Boba.

The fight with Black Krssantan was cool. But I would have liked armored Boba facing Krssantan in a real fight.

The 'gimp the hero for the fight so there's stakes' thing is overdone. But in this case I think it was an excuse to do a bunch of other stuff they wanted to do so I get it. And I expect they're stringing us along -- they WANT us to be shifting in our seats in anticipation of that full on 'Boba goes full Boba' moment.

For the record, I'm also not seeing any indication yet that Boba is a -good guy-. And I think people are conflating protagonist with hero. Even bad guys, or morally grey characters, can have a conscience, can have their own ethics, can have things that piss them off and make them act in 'good' ways just because the bad thing they see someone else doing annoys their own sense of morality or whatever. I'm absolutely not saying they have no intention of making Boba a 'good guy' -- I really don't know. But as of right now, I'm seeing a Boba Fett that largely acts like a person that has their own interests at heart. He's not really going out of his way to -be heroic-. He has personal gain in virtually everything he's done so far.

So I think it would be really interesting if they make us like Boba, but never actually turn him 'good' and thus are able to keep him as a very sympathetic antagonist later down the road. Imagine spending a whole season really getting behind Boba's quest to become the ultimate daimyo, only to turn around and have him be some legit 'hero' character's main antagonist in a new show. Brutal.
MickJohnson
Runs Around in Tights

Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:24 am

K_Steel wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:17 am
My dream scenario for this show would have been to keep Boba Fett as an antagonist, a threat. That's where he works best. Completely lacking the moral compass of Din Djardin.
Trouble there is that Lucasfilm had to tread very carefully after the reaction against the sequel trilogy and had to make a very safe, straight-down-the-line show to win back the trust of SW fans. So what they did was create a new character, call him The Mandalorian, and pile upon it 40 years of baggage of what fans thought a Mandalorian should be in a live action show based on their love of Boba Fett and his two minutes of screen time.

It means that technically Din Djarin took the place of Fett in this little slice of the SW canon, but that ALSO means that once they felt comfortable enough to reintroduce Fett they had the opportunity to evolve him a little bit.

You mention that he should have no moral compass, but that too would not fit. The bounty hunter's code is already well established thanks to the first season of Mando, and things that have been shown in the recent couple of years of Marvel comics. To Fett and the other bounty hunters, business is business and it's nothing personal (and explains why Black K didn't immediately rip everyone's arms off when he was released by Fett in the last ep). On top of being a bounty hunter he is also a Mandalorian, which means he has even more honour.

If you want someone with no moral compass you need a Sith lord... or Doctor Aphra :D

The problem is our own expectations. We imagine Fett to be an all-encompassing bad ass, and the comics also portrayed him as a very effective operator. But when this new show doesn't match this expectation by challenging the audience a little bit, then that's when the backlash happens. But everyone should remember that Fett wasn't always as good as we imagine. In The Clone Wars he was a kid who fell in with the wrong crowd and was somewhat taken advantage of by the likes of Aurra Sing and Bossk. In a later season we saw him begin to have some skill but still get completely monstered by Assaj Ventress. Boba Fett's best years don't occur on-screen at all, instead being relegated to novels and comic books.
Magnuz
Tyrant

Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:45 pm

This show confuses itself and fans by how it portrays boba especially after appearing in mandalorian.

They established he'd survived and came back from assumed death to reclaim his mantle in mandalorian, and showcased that despite his age and injuries he may have sustained from nearly dying that he's still extremely capable. He single handedly demolishes a trooper squadron with mostly a stick. It was a demonstration to show the character was back, and fully capable of more than standing around in the background as he'd done in the original trilogy and it teased the possibilities of what we could have later.

Then this show, which clearly takes place after, showcases a boba who has taken a seat of power for himself, and claim a different position in life being a boss rather than a tool. Then they immediately show us that he's healing himself using a bacta tank and that exerting himself in any kind of real fight results in him becoming weak and needing to get back to said tank to recuperate. This is opposite of the boba we saw in mando who was perfectly capable of handling himself in a fight and be fine afterwords. Its been five years since ROTJ, and assuming he got out immedietly after, he's had roughly five years to recuperate but is still apparently constantly weakened.

Maybe they are establishing a different issue, maybe he has something thats breaking down his body since he was a clone. Thing is they aren't establishing anything like that we just get a doughy guy who gets winded in a fight.

As for good guy/bad guy, whatever his overall intention he's clearly being portrayed as more noble and good hearted than previously implied. You can assume he had changes of heart with his experience living with the tuskens, but they were taken away in three episodes, and it didn't really establish that he was changing character, just learning about them. Either way he's clearly being portrayed as a more heroic character. He's taken over a criminal empire from a vile leader, he's trying to establish control of an empire but he's not doing it with force. He's actively trying to help everyone. He gets asked to stop thieves by a shop owner so he confronts them and immediately offers some street kids a job to help them turn things around and correct the price gouging shop owner. He actively lets people live to show good faith and humanity. He's establishing himself as caretaker rather than a dictator. He doesn't want to rule with an iron fist he wants to help clean up and run the city and his organization.

This boba isn't going to be bad, he's going to go full hero by the end of this and save the day from some overarching evil villain. I can only pray its something more interesting than the boring ass pike gang we've seen so far. Frankly the entire show feels mishandled left and right with a few cool bits in between. In the end they took a virtually blank slate character from the films with little other than a reputation for being fearsome and skilled (going with just the movies not eu content) and made him a soft guy looking for a nice retirement plan. He's the grizzled veteran begrudgingly helping the weak towns folk as he topples a corrupt and evil controlling town political empire. Its not exactly blowing me away if im being honest. We have what? five more episodes left? At this rate i'll be surprised if this gets a second season and theres all the more reason for tem to say he's willing to play live action clones, because he knows his future as boba is limited at this point.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:07 pm

I kinda expect a second season but also hope for some course correction.
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:52 am

Personally I want them to tell stories they are passionate about. If they have a story for a second season, great! I’ll watch it. I love Star Wars content. Even Star Wars content I don’t necessarily rave about. I’m not required to like everything. They don’t owe me anything. My life isn’t ruined if I don’t like something.

I’ve done a 180 on this episode. It’s goofy as hell yeah but still enjoyable.

I can appreciate they try to do a real chase through the streets of Mos Espa with more practical effects. It just didn’t have the excitement of a real chase. It felt more like a quick parade. They tried to up the speed with the shots like them banking the corners or knocking things around along the streets. Maybe the actors didn’t quite sell it as high speed sitting high on those colorful speeder bikes. I definitely saw the humor.

I made fun of the episode but I’ve watched it more times now because I did enjoy it. Again it’s goofy. Oh and watching it again Black Krrsantan was good. I secretly hope to see him blasting away at Pikes and Transdosians who team up to war with Fett. His trowing around Pikes just sounds like fun to me.

I’m not sure if they have enough time to do the payoff of Fett riding a Rancor but damn I want to see it.

Thwipp!

Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:31 am

Prophet924 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:52 am
Personally I want them to tell stories they are passionate about. If they have a story for a second season, great! I’ll watch it. I love Star Wars content. Even Star Wars content I don’t necessarily rave about. I’m not required to like everything. They don’t owe me anything. My life isn’t ruined if I don’t like something.
That's a great point, of course. The best thing about the Sequel Trilogy was it got me to accept I don't have to like all Star Wars. This show is a little tougher because Boba has been my guy for 42 years but I can appreciate certain aspects. And yeah, if they're passionate about this story, of course I can support that. And I hope by the end I appreciate what they were saying. I already do with certain aspects.

It's sorta like with the prequels. I still don't enjoy them quite as much as some but when I realized the parallel between Anakin's lust for power at the expense of what he had with Padme and Lucas's own rise and how it affected his marriage etc... I mean, I cannot fault him for putting something so personal in there and even essentially painting himself as the villain.
Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:28 am

Damn, just saw the first episode and its fantastic, i would even say that its gonna be better than Mandolorean. that 4 armed creature that was in the sand was awesome, reminded me alittle of Clash of the titans creature. also noticed its directed by Robert Rodriguez so you know its gonna be good! also love the green pigs guards.
Mahtion
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:08 pm

I can’t help but feel like this show is a Mass Effect style morality choice game. Boba Fett is picking all the good choices to get the most support for the end boss/end game.

NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:35 am

Latest episode was dull again. Almost not worth commenting on. Fett still feels incompetent, and even though he saved Fennec’s life, I still see no reason for her to pledge any kind of allegiance to him. She carries him. She doesn’t need him. He clumsily got his ship back after barely defeating janky droids while Fennec single-handedly eliminates about thirty guards.

Then in present day, he tries to form an alliance with the Tatooine families, only to get pretty much no commitment from any of them. Not even with the hired help of the gratuitously violent “Santo”, who couldn’t even be talked down by Garsa or her cleavage.

What the hell is this show?
MickJohnson
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:21 pm

First of all, it's not 'Santo', it's 'Santy' (that's what Dr Aphra would cheekily refer to him as) and secondly, Garsa did try to talk him down from wrecking that Trandoshan, but really the lizard-man deserved it for being a Wookie hunter and I was hoping he'd throw him through a table or something, and I am glad he had the strength to see through her flirtatious beckoning and continue to prove his might.

BK is one particularly nasty Wookie.

Plus it was a very good episode. If you don't agree, go watch the third episode again ;P
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:50 pm

I kind of liked Episode 4, it at least directly answered some of the "Why is he doing this?" questions. Boba acknowledged that he was responsible for the getting the Tuskens involved in the fight and the result, and it cleared up some of Boba's tactics and reasoning. Nothing too profound but at least it is clear that it is just a career change. Also provided just enough info about the cybernetics being a thing on Tatooine and the need for the bacta tank I thought. Fennec's comment that the Nikto gang taking out the Sandpeople being unlikely is probably accurate, and we'll learn the Pykes were behind it. I'm going to assume the flashbacks have ended and the rest will be Boba vs the Pykes.

One question, but do we know how Bibb (and Max Rebo) got off the exploding sail barge alive? I should probably just rewatch RotJ to check, but it didn't seem like anyone would have survived that.

Some speculation - Will the superior Fennec double-cross Boba at the end of this? Is Din Djarin available for hired muscle?
Aleks
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:20 pm

fac wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:50 pm
Do we know how Bibb (and Max Rebo) got off the exploding sail barge alive?
As soon as he saw Luke grab his lightsaber, he said "[email protected]#$ This" and jumped right through the window.

Return to “The Multiplex”