Snake Eyes

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
Mr potatohead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Snake Eyes

Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:47 pm

Prophet924 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:28 am
It’s as good as first Joe film. Feels like Wolverine origins. A checklist to work down.
Threash
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:36 pm

Loved it. Can't wait for the sequel.
DetectiveHoag
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:51 pm

Threash wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:36 pm
Loved it. Can't wait for the sequel.
That’s going to be “GI Joe Origins: Bazooka”, featuring David Harbour as Bazooka.
Threash
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:03 am

I'd watch David Harbour in anything at this point to be honest.
chaosMonkeyPoo
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:22 am

Mannie_Bothans wrote:If you're a stickler for canon and adapting comics then this isn't your movie. This movie has one dude taking on 30 guys,
► Show Spoiler
and it doesn't take itself seriously. I kind of loved it. The performances are all good. Golding is good as Snake Eyes, but Andrew Koji as Stormshadow stole the movie.

The only thing holding this movie back was the editing of the fight scenes. If they had a more John Wick approach where they shot everything further back and didn't do so much shaky cam, it would have been soooo much better.

I still had fun with this. I'm also a filthy casual Joe fan. I don't care if Snake Eyes is disfigured or not. It was a goofy fun movie, but also had a little edge. I kind of hope they continue with this new take. All the Joe teases have me intrigued.
I'm absolutely one of those people who hated the things you spoiler tagged - to the point that it soured my overall impression of three film, arguably unfairly. I like a lot of the movie but my personal bias has a strong sway on this one and makes it hard to overlook some of those more elements that for me feel egregiously out of place in a GI Joe story.
But I'm hoping to come around. Definitely trying to leave my baggage at the door and plan to give the film another view soon.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:45 am

Really enjoyed this movie for the most part. Lots of fun yakuza stuff. I liked the Japanese setting. The ending felt comparatively muddled a bit, but I liked the rest a lot. Enjoyed the performances by Henry Golding and Andrew Kohki a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CO_Alex
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Snake Eyes

Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:27 am

I took my 10 year old to see SE tonight. Overall I enjoyed it and my boy knows SE from Fortnite so he liked it as well. I liked the other two GI Joe movies as well and try to be supportive of the brand. I’m looking forward to the movie figures in a few months when they come out. Others have mentioned it as well about releasing the merchandise way later being a bad move. Just like Shang Chi being too early with the movie figures GI Joe will be too late.

Prophet924
Thwipp!

Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:17 am

Saw it a second time. I’m less impressed with the Joe and Cobra aspects other than Cobra serving as a terrorist kingpin if you will. Interesting angle to explore. But Baroness and Scarlett don’t get much here. But it’s understandable since this film is not about them.

I am more impressed by the Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow story. Henry Golding is good. So is Andrew Koji. I enjoyed their interactions much better. I wanted to see their next confrontation.

Still a bit hard to believe Snake Eyes skills were earned on the mean streets. He is still petty raw and could benefit from soldier and more ninja training. This story doesn’t really allow for it.

But after second viewing I wanted to see more of Henry Golding in this role. I agree he’d make a good Bond. I know you don’t put Henry Golding in a role where he doesn’t speak. I’d like to see that role. I guess quiet Snake Eyes is reserved for supporting role. I would like to see a leading role. How fascinating it would be to see him keep the audiences’ attention outside of action scenes.

I’d like to see Snake Eyes and Scarlett get more action together. Not just in romance. But Henry is pretty awesome…He’s feeling like Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. He’s got a charisma that works.

I have let go my expectations and enjoyed it more. The rage in both Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow is played well in the film. I believe their motivations more.

Thwipp!

chaosMonkeyPoo
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:33 pm

So this movie is pretty much dead on arrival eh? Conversation isn't just dead here but pretty much everywhere I frequent that nerd cinema or GI Joe is a common topic. Practically nobody is talking about this movie.

Couple that with the toys BARELY hitting shelves and I think the likelihood of a sequel or full on GI Joe film coming out of this is rapidly diminishing by the day. Hope the toys at least don't rot on shelves into clearance oblivion and damage the brand in the eyes of retail stores.
Mannie_Bothans
Avengers Assemble

Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:22 pm

It's 100 DOA. I feel bad for the cast, but the director and editor should be to blame here. They had all the right stunt people and choreographers yet the action (some of the scenes) looks like Take 3 garbage.

I really like the movie despite its flaws. I had fun with it. I hope they continue because Scarlet was awesome. I would be down for more Joes and more of this new "Snake Eyes."

Probably not going to happen now though. Abysmal box office. And the toys are no where to be seen, at least in my stores.
os189
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:03 pm

Ever since we got our first teaser images, I've been saying this was gonna be a huuuuuge pile of shit. When everyone hated it and it flopped hard, I sat here like a smug internet nerd thinking how smart I am.

Well....I have to eat my words. Some of them anyway.

This was a stupid, dumb, B-level schlock-fest.....but it was really fun. About a third of it was anyway. Forget all the GI Joe/Cobra stuff.....this is just a straight up, Cannon Films 1980s style Franco Nero ninja movie. It's garbage, but it's fun garbage.

The movie starts off great, but there are some really dumb elements by the halfway point. Giant stupid looking CGI snakes, glowing mystical Dagobah vision caves, magic Shankara stones that can instantly blow people up. SOOO dumb. Wish they'd just stuck to the ninja movie and left the nonsense out.

Baroness was OK, and I was surprised they let her drop an F-bomb in a kids' movie. I laughed though.

Scarlett was pretty awful. Dumb character and even dumber costume.

Blind Master was fine, but Hard Master was definitely miscast.

Not really sure what the point of Akiko was...she almost seemed like a love interest for Snake Eyes but they never committed to it. No idea why they didn't just call her "Jinx" instead of making up a new character. Her British accent was very annoying though, considering she's supposed to be Japanese.

Speaking of Japan, as a resident who lives near Tokyo, I always love seeing how horribly "off" Hollywood depicts Tokyo and Japan in general. It's cool to see the two or three location shots but then there's all these obvious fake cartoony depictions of what they THINK Tokyo should look like. Biggest offenders are Tokyo Drift, Wolverine, and Kill Bill. This one is right up there. It was driving me INSANE watching people walk around indoors without changing shoes!!

Now the biggest part of the movie: Snake Eyes is the villain and Storm Shadow is the hero. At no point does Snake Eyes ever redeem himself. He just screws his "best friend" over again and again and again. If they were trying to make us root for him, they failed miserably. Storm Shadow is the tragic hero of the story. Best performance, too.

I really didn't care about Snake Eyes being played by an Asian guy cause honestly this movie could have just been called "Sword Brothers" or "Ninja Betrayal." It had so little to do with GI Joe that when it tried to remind the audience it's a "GI Joe movie" it was just embarrassing.

Also, talk about the ultimate rip off/bait and switch to any fan that was actually hoping to see Snake Eyes in costume. he only wears it for literally the last 20 seconds of the movie. Less screen time than Darth Vader in Revenge of the Sith. IF there were any kids that actually care about the toy (there aren't) they'd be soooo disappointed in how little screentime it got.

Also, the flashy end credits sequence is a total rip off of the credits from "Enter the Void," also set in Tokyo. Hollywood can't even stop themselves from stealing CREDIT SEQUENCES. It's shameless.

What a ridiculous movie. If they just dropped the stupid Joe angle and called it a reboot of "Enter the Ninja" it would have worked much better.
Mr potatohead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:56 pm

Sounds like your on the fence about it. LOL
Ibentmyman-thing
Shakespeare of Fwoosh

Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:42 pm

Watched this last night.

Was it a good Snake Eyes movie? No.
Was it a good Snake Eyes Origin movie? No.
Was it a good GI Joe movie? No. (but to be fair it wasn't trying to be)
Was it a good Martial Arts movie? Standard. No ground broken, no innovations included.
Was it a good "Outsider taken into a secret organization/family/business/empire" movie? Standard.
Did it matter whether or not Snake Eyes was played by a white guy or an Asian guy? No. Something interesting could have been done one way or the other, but it ended up being a non-item across the board.
Was it a good movie? I've seen worse. It was two hours long and I was entertained by what was on the screen. But it was definitely empty.

It's one of those movies where a minute long conversation could have changed the fortunes of everyone involved but instead everybody kept things to themselves and the characters ended up worse for it.
sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:41 am

In short:

scribb
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:07 pm

os189 wrote:Ever since we got our first teaser images, I've been saying this was gonna be a huuuuuge pile of shit. When everyone hated it and it flopped hard, I sat here like a smug internet nerd thinking how smart I am.

Well....I have to eat my words. Some of them anyway.

This was a stupid, dumb, B-level schlock-fest.....but it was really fun. About a third of it was anyway. Forget all the GI Joe/Cobra stuff.....this is just a straight up, Cannon Films 1980s style Franco Nero ninja movie. It's garbage, but it's fun garbage.

The movie starts off great, but there are some really dumb elements by the halfway point. Giant stupid looking CGI snakes, glowing mystical Dagobah vision caves, magic Shankara stones that can instantly blow people up. SOOO dumb. Wish they'd just stuck to the ninja movie and left the nonsense out.

Baroness was OK, and I was surprised they let her drop an F-bomb in a kids' movie. I laughed though.

Scarlett was pretty awful. Dumb character and even dumber costume.

Blind Master was fine, but Hard Master was definitely miscast.

Not really sure what the point of Akiko was...she almost seemed like a love interest for Snake Eyes but they never committed to it. No idea why they didn't just call her "Jinx" instead of making up a new character. Her British accent was very annoying though, considering she's supposed to be Japanese.

Speaking of Japan, as a resident who lives near Tokyo, I always love seeing how horribly "off" Hollywood depicts Tokyo and Japan in general. It's cool to see the two or three location shots but then there's all these obvious fake cartoony depictions of what they THINK Tokyo should look like. Biggest offenders are Tokyo Drift, Wolverine, and Kill Bill. This one is right up there. It was driving me INSANE watching people walk around indoors without changing shoes!!

Now the biggest part of the movie: Snake Eyes is the villain and Storm Shadow is the hero. At no point does Snake Eyes ever redeem himself. He just screws his "best friend" over again and again and again. If they were trying to make us root for him, they failed miserably. Storm Shadow is the tragic hero of the story. Best performance, too.

I really didn't care about Snake Eyes being played by an Asian guy cause honestly this movie could have just been called "Sword Brothers" or "Ninja Betrayal." It had so little to do with GI Joe that when it tried to remind the audience it's a "GI Joe movie" it was just embarrassing.

Also, talk about the ultimate rip off/bait and switch to any fan that was actually hoping to see Snake Eyes in costume. he only wears it for literally the last 20 seconds of the movie. Less screen time than Darth Vader in Revenge of the Sith. IF there were any kids that actually care about the toy (there aren't) they'd be soooo disappointed in how little screentime it got.

Also, the flashy end credits sequence is a total rip off of the credits from "Enter the Void," also set in Tokyo. Hollywood can't even stop themselves from stealing CREDIT SEQUENCES. It's shameless.

What a ridiculous movie. If they just dropped the stupid Joe angle and called it a reboot of "Enter the Ninja" it would have worked much better.
Wait a minute! What is this changing shoes thing?

Return to “The Multiplex”