Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - MCU Movie

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - MCU Movie

Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:14 pm

I can't see why Rocket would choose to be devolved now that he's found Lylla. The big question to me is whether her name-drop on his 'rap sheet' when taken in by the Xandarians is actually canon or not, and how they explain the Xandarians knowing his origin if so.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:17 pm

It suggests though that "finding Gamora" will not be a major part of the plot if they are not hiding her being found... that was all that surprised me a bit, compared to the efforts to hide McGuire and Garfield for instance from the NWH.

As for Rocket, who knows how artificially evolved Lylla is ... maybe Rocket just wants the normal life he should have had.
sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:19 pm

I'm a little disappointed in the High Evolutionary's look. Wish he was a little more comic-booky and less movie-Eternaly. If they would have given him armored or, at least, silver arms and thighs that would have helped a lot.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:37 pm

fac wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:17 pm
It suggests though that "finding Gamora" will not be a major part of the plot if they are not hiding her being found... that was all that surprised me a bit, compared to the efforts to hide McGuire and Garfield for instance from the NWH.
True, but if that's the case, it wouldn't be the first marvel film to blow off or lessen plot points that seemed a big deal in a previous movie. They're probably looking for her in the first act and happen upon her abruptly and easily. Then she is on the journey with them for the rest of the movie.

Examples of what I mean are stuff like Tony's RT killing him in iron man 2 but in 3 he decides to get rid of it yet continue being iron man. Ragnarok was about saving the Asgardians but kill half off in infinity war. And I get why they did that but it really affects the emotional ending of Ragnarok for me upon rewatch. They even did it in the same movie with Strange 2 where he has the horrifying evil third eye... Nah, just pop that out and run off to stop an incursion.

And none of these are major issues for me, just something I noted and now don't expect plot points to always carry forward.
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:32 pm

sepster wrote:I'm a little disappointed in the High Evolutionary's look. Wish he was a little more comic-booky and less movie-Eternaly. If they would have given him armored or, at least, silver arms and thighs that would have helped a lot.
Was High Evolutionary in the trailer? If yes, the character was unrecognizable, which is a bummer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:58 pm

Akatsuki wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:32 pm
sepster wrote:I'm a little disappointed in the High Evolutionary's look. Wish he was a little more comic-booky and less movie-Eternaly. If they would have given him armored or, at least, silver arms and thighs that would have helped a lot.
Was High Evolutionary in the trailer? If yes, the character was unrecognizable, which is a bummer.

At least one shot. He was the guy from Peacemaker and basically looks... Like a guy, but with those intense eyes he has at least.
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:01 pm

Guy in purple watching woman run round a wheel is Big Evo.

I wasn’t sensing dread initially but man now the more commentary I’m thinking it may be a sadder ending. That would suck.

I guess I just don’t see Big Evo as a bigger threat than previous threats they’ve encountered.

Thwipp!

Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:24 pm

He was at comic con in costume as well
Spoiler! :
sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:02 pm

I saw it then too. Was hoping it would look better on film, but sadly, no.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:22 am

In that picture, I imagine he's saying, "I'm reminded of the words of Socrates when he said, 'I drank what?'."
Spoiler! :
I did not come up with this joke but I love it.
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:10 pm

The High Evolutionary is never one to second guess so I’m not sure I get the joke of being surprised on what he drank. To him everything else is just a thing for him to manipulate as he is able to do. There are no beings just biological machines. Clinical and cold. Where Ronan hated because he was born to it, it made no sense. Ego was about expanding itself as his existence was most important. Evolutionary does because he can. How life works is more important than life. All messed up SOBs. I remember reading Evolutionary is going to be the worst threat. I can see it. He’d graph Drax’s head on a donkey because he can. I want to give Gunn credit but he has a very twisted sense of humor. Having a character like Evolutionary in his story could be very messed up. It will have some heart and Feige won’t let it get raunchy like Peacemaker can. That’s my hope. Honestly those scientist f-ing around with Starro’s spawn was pretty disgusting in Suicide Squad. I’m thinking we see some level of this disgust with Evolutionary.

Thwipp!

Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:48 pm

Prophet924 wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:10 pm
The High Evolutionary is never one to second guess so I’m not sure I get the joke of being surprised on what he drank.
I think the joke is ultimately on me here.

Socrates ultimately died by ingesting poison. It's doesn't actually jibe with the story history tells, but the 'quote' is basically playing on the idea of someone committing an act only then to learn of how severe the repercussions of that act will be (drinking something/learning it will now kill him).

I have never read a comic with the High Evolutionary in it and wasn't making any comment on the character. I was commenting entirely on the facial expression and hand gesture of the actor dressed as him in the picture. I interpreted it as being taken aback and having a subtle reaction to something severe (drinking something/learning it will now kill him).

I know I'm the only one laughing.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:06 pm

I just don't understand the choice to bland the hell out of his outfit like this. The biggest dislike I've had with the overall MCU is the outfits are generally watered-down and worse than the comics - when we know they don't have to be.
Mr potatohead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:29 pm

Crap. I didn't even realize that was supposed to be him. Could've at least gave him the classic colors.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:40 pm

New still, doesn't spoil much unless you haven't seen the trailer and don't want to know the Guardians have new outfits.
Spoiler! :

Return to “The Multiplex”