Obi-Wan Kenobi - Disney+ Series

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Obi-Wan Kenobi - Disney+ Series

Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:13 pm

Enforcer wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:50 pm
Strange topic for you all to wade right into the deep end on.
We're slovenly toy dorks; of course we're gonna take pizza seriously.
100ptsofarticulation
Glass Half Empty

Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:32 pm

For the record the best tasting frozen pizza is Newman's Own pepperoni pizza.
Magnuz
Tyrant

Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:52 am

So an amateur/up and coming director/editor/vfx guy has edited obi wan into a two and a half hour film and put it on his site to download
https://www.kaipattersonfilms.com/kenobi
(Only one link remains as others apparently have been taken down.)

I downloaded it and am watching it now and so far it's pretty interesting, trimming alot of the more useless bits and tweaking how some things are (even editing visuals) but I'm only 30 minutes in.

I think its worth checking out for those who found the series had issues, I'm curious to see how it alters some of the character development.
Merso
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:35 am

Magnuz wrote:So an amateur/up and coming director/editor/vfx guy has edited obi wan into a two and a half hour film and put it on his site to download
https://www.kaipattersonfilms.com/kenobi
(Only one link remains as others apparently have been taken down.)

I downloaded it and am watching it now and so far it's pretty interesting, trimming alot of the more useless bits and tweaking how some things are (even editing visuals) but I'm only 30 minutes in.

I think its worth checking out for those who found the series had issues, I'm curious to see how it alters some of the character development.
Thanks for the link. There's few other edits on reddit, I downloaded 3 different ones the other day but haven't gotten around to watching them. Pretty much all the Obi-Wan fanedits I've found focus on triming out the fat.

Sent from my G3112 using Tapatalk

Magnuz
Tyrant

Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:57 pm

Well I finished it, I do feel like the overall experience was better in this than watching the series. Though some of that may just be the advantage of watching it all as one whole story not broken apart episodes.

Definitely reeled in reva, she's still violent (beheads the young jedi instead of getting stopped) but they took out the intro purge scene so the reveal of her being a youngling is left till obi wan discovers it. Also they trim out all the side story of her surviving vader and going after Luke. It means less Owen and beru, but it does solidify this as a Leia story and leaves Luke out of it which I liked.

He took out alot of rhe dumb stuff, forest chase, reva rooftop run, slowspeed ship chase stuff and tightened up alot. The editing did have some cuts which felt rough seeing how he stitched scenes together in places.

Some things I enjoyed was changes in music final Duel with vader and obi wan uses Duel of rhe fates and it works well.

Overall I enjoyed this more as a movie than the series and I think it fits nicely between the prequels and sequels.
featofstrength
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:18 pm

I didnt watch the series. I heard enough about the small bookends of good around a whole lot of bad. When this fan edit made a big media splash, I ran to it for fear Emperor Mickey might send Inquisitor Kathy after it. It was pretty darn good. There's still some clunkiness in the story that editing cant fix, but overall I enjoyed it. 5hrs and 20 min down to a cohesive 2 hrs and 30 min is quite impressive. That's a lot of fat trimmed...Disney, take notes.

Yes, I still have issues with the baby Leia stuff not quite synching up with Episode IV. Yes, I still have issues with Filoni balony like too many Jedi and Inquisitors running around between trilogies. But still, not as harmful as it could have been. It's a great epilogue tale for anyone who got even the littlest enjoyment out of the prequels. Im happy that Ewan and Hayden finally got some redemption. Now, if only Disney would know when to leave well enough alone and not [email protected]#$ things up with a "season 2." Obi-wan's story is over, despite how anyone wants to interpret Qui-Gon's final lines.

Close the book, and let fans put this nice little bootleg on their shelves.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:26 pm

I still don't see why Obi-Wan's story has to be over. I really don't expect him to do nothing for ten more years except sit in the desert, especially since he is embracing the Force and his Jedi ways.
featofstrength
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:44 pm

Ru_1977 wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:26 pm
I still don't see why Obi-Wan's story has to be over. I really don't expect him to do nothing for ten more years except sit in the desert, especially since he is embracing the Force and his Jedi ways.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJyHR8cE-9I

Jedi are still being hunted and executed. Luke is the future, but for now he needs to be a kid. And Qui-Gon is here to reinforce that Anakin is still the chosen one. (From a certain point of view?) Sounds like Obi has conquered the ghosts of his past and earned a lil downtime while they bide their time. He's also got a house to build, which is quite a feat if youve never done it.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:10 pm

I was part of building my mom's ADU, if that counts, heh. but that didn't take ten years. I'm sure he can sneak off for an adventure or two still while Luke is busy being a kid. Yes there is danger out there, and I'll be surprised if it comes in the form of Vader again, but come on. Strip Star Wars away from it and imagine a show about a character who has to accomplish something when it would be safer to hide at home rather than risk being discovered by countless eyes waiting to find him? How many movies and series have been about that? I'm always open to being shown aspects of the story I didn't know about. Also, for the record, I didn't click on the youtube video.
Reefer Shark
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:43 pm

They've fleshed out some pretty cool stories w/Obi-Wan on Tatooine in the comics. They have plenty to mine from there for the show if need be. But Im sure Chow or whoever is doing season two will come up with something entertaining.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:56 pm

I'd love if they introduced A'Sharad Hett. I know he's Legends now but so was Thrawn for a bit.

And even if that means he appears again in Episode 10: The Penultimate Skywalker squaring off against Rey. I really just want an A'Sharad Hett black series figure, heh.
Reefer Shark
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:03 pm

Ru_1977 wrote:
I'd love if they introduced A'Sharad Hett. I know he's Legends now but so was Thrawn for a bit.

And even if that means he appears again in Episode 10: The Penultimate Skywalker squaring off against Rey. I really just want an A'Sharad Hett black series figure, heh.
Hah, I would be down for a story arc w/Hett. I loved his run in the Dark Horse comics series! And I would be down for a Black Series figure as well.. I still have my 3 3/4" A'Sharad Hett figure from years ago, and the Darth Krayt figure (who he eventually turns into in the Legacy).
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:20 pm

Magnuz wrote:
Well I finished it, I do feel like the overall experience was better in this than watching the series. Though some of that may just be the advantage of watching it all as one whole story not broken apart episodes.

Overall I enjoyed this more as a movie than the series and I think it fits nicely between the prequels and sequels.

Honestly though - would you have the same opinion if you had watched them in the reverse order? You can tell yourself you don't need all of the bits that were cut, but that's with the luxury of you already knowing them. It's possible that had you viewed them in the reverse order you might have appreciated the expanded story more. We can never know :)
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:00 am

Reefer Shark wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:03 pm
Ru_1977 wrote:

Hah, I would be down for a story arc w/Hett. I loved his run in the Dark Horse comics series! And I would be down for a Black Series figure as well.. I still have my 3 3/4" A'Sharad Hett figure from years ago, and the Darth Krayt figure (who he eventually turns into in the Legacy).
That's why I joked about Rey though, with the idea of Darth Talon almost appearing in the sequel trilogy, I could see Krayt being the ultimate villain if they were to do more movies in that era. Setting him up in Kenobi season 2, and maybe even a transitional appearance in, say, Mandalorian season 4, would really give so much gravity to him. Then of course an animated appearance on Bad Batch, etc.

The only real hurdle in my eyes is some repetitiveness with elements from Book of Boba Fett. But probably shouldn't be enough to prevent the character from appearing. His face off with Obi Wan would be perfect fodder for a second season.
Magnuz
Tyrant

Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:10 pm

PantherCult wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:20 pm
Magnuz wrote:

Honestly though - would you have the same opinion if you had watched them in the reverse order? You can tell yourself you don't need all of the bits that were cut, but that's with the luxury of you already knowing them. It's possible that had you viewed them in the reverse order you might have appreciated the expanded story more. We can never know :)
I can't say for sure but it's entirely reasonable ro say I'd still appreciate rhe movie version more if I saw it first.

The show is like an overstuffed directors cut where they just pack in every deleted scene they have and it makes it drag.

The only loss in the film cut of this is Owen and beru who lose their defending the homestead sequence but considering how ludicrously stupid the plot of reva going there was its a sacrifice I'm willing to accept.

Return to “The Multiplex”