Obi-Wan Kenobi - Disney+ Series

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
Aleks
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Obi-Wan Kenobi - Disney+ Series

Sat May 28, 2022 12:25 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 4:24 am
TheFallen wrote: I felt this was a bit disappointing. The acting was off, especially the actress playing Reva. I think that she is an annoying character and very one dimensional.
I thought it was well acted EXCEPT for Reva. She grates on me. It's one of those things where you're supposed to hate the villain, but you're not really supposed to hate them in a way of 'I don't want this person on my screen anymore.' Like, I legitimately do not want to hear that character speak ever again in this show. And even though I KNEW it wasn't happening, I would have loved a hard swerve with Obi-Wan chopping her in half and Vader or Grand being the main villain of the rest of the show.
This. Can't wait for Vader to show up and cut her in half. But that won't happen. Because she will become one of the "main" characters in the show. Maybe even "good person" by the end. Even after what she did.
Spoiler! :
She was most likely one of those younglings in the beginning. Looks like Obi-Wan didn't see her\didn't save when he visited the temple and now she's angry at him. Also...Grand Inquisitor still looks goofy as hell. I can't really take him seriously.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 28, 2022 1:34 pm

Boy Wonder wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 1:07 am
That is something I wish was kind of established better is just how much the galaxy knows of who’s running the empire. Like, obviously they know Palpatine, right? But is Vader just not known to the wider population? Like is he not standing menacingly in the background when Palpy gives his state of the Union address?
I've wondered about that too - what does the galaxy know or is told about the Emperor - do they think he got a corrupt Senate under control to defeat the Separatists and exposed the Jedi as frauds/elites needing to be expunged? I mean we saw smiling Palpatine looking "normal" when he is given broad powers, and the Clones win the war, so is he a hero at first? After Order 66 is he on TV cackling about infinite power and electrocuting people from his hands, or is he doing the "look how the Jedi disfigured poor me" routine and kissing babies and explaining why all his decisions are for the greater good. They are full-on control with terror once the Death Star comes online, but where are they at the time of this show. Riva seems full-on "control with terror" as well, while the Inquisitors seem to be more measured in their threats - maybe this will be explored.
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Sat May 28, 2022 2:02 pm

Spoiler! :
Reva could be one of those younglings and her fear lead to hate. Now she is just seething. She demonstrates her hate makes her powerful. She’s not any worse in her actions than Kylo Ren in his tantrums. Her job was to hunt Jedi. She hating her station wants more. So she finds a point she is sure will draw Kenobi out. It does. She did have him until Grand Big Head Inquisitor gave enough of a distraction allowing the ship to escape. Yes I know plot and what not. It is curious she was chided for “loosing Obi Wan again” by Grand Big Head. So they almost caught him before? I was under impression he dropped off baby Luke then found a local gig to watch over him. Not sure how these Inquisitors would have almost captured him. Maybe Kenobi initially did as the Grand Big Head said…help with his abilities and it put Tatooine on the galactic map as a hiding place for Jedi. Maybe even drew other Jedi looking for the Jedi in the rumors and stories. That then made Obi Wan bury the sabers and stop using the Force. Possibly…
Thwipp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
K_Steel
Prognostibator

Sat May 28, 2022 2:32 pm

Apparently, Alden Ehrenreich's "Solo" takes place a year or two before this show...

So theoretically, you could have characters unresolved from that film (Maul, Emelia Clarke) potentially showing up here.

Ru_1977 wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 6:05 am

But your opinion may change after seeing reviews? What are your favorite youtubers saying about it?
Opinions are mixed.

My favorite Youtubers are Redlettermedia, and they are going to Dislike it, but not outright hate it.

The review will be funny nevertheless.

I liked the show but admittedly my standards for Star Wars are extremely low. It's a broken franchise after the sequel trilogy, with a very divided fanbase. It's hard to get invested in the SW franchise now, when there's so many disappointing entries, and the Luke character was tarnished.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 28, 2022 4:04 pm

Right. Guess that went over your head. I tend to have more fun forming my own opinion on things rather than waiting to let reviewers shape my feelings.

I was finally able to watch the episodes
Spoiler! :
I can see why people have a problem with Reva but it didn't bother me so much. The rivalry feels more forced than organic to me though. I LOVE the pairing with Obi Wan and Leia and hope that lasts the entire show.

I always had a sense the galaxy at large has no idea about Palpatine having any force abilities, with Vader simply being an enforcer. I could see him not being well known to the galaxy at large. He's the face of the empire for fans but not in-universe.
scribb
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 28, 2022 4:33 pm

Is this Grand Inquisitor the same one from Rebels?
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 28, 2022 4:37 pm

scribb wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 4:33 pm
Is this Grand Inquisitor the same one from Rebels?
Spoiler! :
Either no or not dead.

Maybe it's his brother, like Savage Oppress. This was actually Bland Inquisitor.
Bip
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 28, 2022 6:16 pm

fac wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 1:34 pm
Boy Wonder wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 1:07 am
That is something I wish was kind of established better is just how much the galaxy knows of who’s running the empire. Like, obviously they know Palpatine, right? But is Vader just not known to the wider population? Like is he not standing menacingly in the background when Palpy gives his state of the Union address?
I've wondered about that too - what does the galaxy know or is told about the Emperor - do they think he got a corrupt Senate under control to defeat the Separatists and exposed the Jedi as frauds/elites needing to be expunged? I mean we saw smiling Palpatine looking "normal" when he is given broad powers, and the Clones win the war, so is he a hero at first? After Order 66 is he on TV cackling about infinite power and electrocuting people from his hands, or is he doing the "look how the Jedi disfigured poor me" routine and kissing babies and explaining why all his decisions are for the greater good. They are full-on control with terror once the Death Star comes online, but where are they at the time of this show. Riva seems full-on "control with terror" as well, while the Inquisitors seem to be more measured in their threats - maybe this will be explored.
According to Rebels and Battlefront 2 no one knew the Emperor was sith or able to use the force. He was also rarely seen in the public and issued speeches through holo messages that change his appearance to what he looked like before the Windu fight. The senate's power was also stripped until Palpatine finally just dissolved it. I think we'll get to see how different people viewed the empire more in Andor then this series.
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Sat May 28, 2022 6:17 pm

So I’ve heard critique that the dialogue is bad. The first episode has what 15 minutes or more of very little dialogue. It just shows Obi Wan in his current state. It’s broken up by a visit from Tika(?) or something like that. That was great! There was some more quiet moments till the Inquisitors show up. So that part is critiqued as boring…Inthought it set the proper mood.

I loved the shots where Chow fills the screen with the desolation of Tatooine and Obi Wan small on the screen. There’s just a simple shot of Obi Wan in the rocks. Chow fills the screen with rocky terrain all around Obi Wan. It’s setting the tone very well. I love the cinematic angle/wide lense she films with.

I love the score. In fact my day of Obi Wan started with hearing John Williams directing this score at Celebration. I was in TX watching on YouTube. Then finding out D+ moved up premiere to 12 PM EST. Heck yeah I’m staying up to watch that. So the score hooked me and I watched the show to cap that Thursday.

I love
Spoiler! :
Leia. It was such an awesome surprise as they pan over to Alderaan. She’s just great.
I love Tatooine. It’s okay to be off world too. But the day to day just fascinates me about this world. It’s New Mexico. It’s Australia. It’s those harsh lands where people survive on the fringe. It’s dirty. So when they give me more about that place and how it is to live there, I live it.

Yeah I’m enjoying the ride.

Thwipp!

K_Steel
Prognostibator

Sat May 28, 2022 8:10 pm

Ru_1977 wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 4:04 pm
Right. Guess that went over your head. I tend to have more fun forming my own opinion on things rather than waiting to let reviewers shape my feelings.
Which is what I did in the earlier post, before even seeing any reviews.

And yes, opinions can change over time.

Lest we forget:
https://youtu.be/CjVFmaKtksg?t=83
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 28, 2022 10:12 pm

Prophet924 wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 2:02 pm
Spoiler! :
Reva could be one of those younglings and her fear lead to hate. Now she is just seething. She demonstrates her hate makes her powerful. /spoiler]
I agree.
Spoiler! :
I will be stunned if she isn't the youngling in the darker brown robe. I believe we will see more of that flashback...

And I don't mind her seething either - it is actually one flaw in the portrayal of the Dark Side is how under control Palpy and Vader are - given all the talk about giving into your hate and anger.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 28, 2022 10:41 pm

Spoiler! :
Reva is absolutely one of those kids and that's a solid idea about obi wan not saving her at the time. Clearly she has a personal thing for him.
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Sun May 29, 2022 2:28 am

Loving this show! What relief that this is actually really good. This is what the prequels should have been—Vader hunting Jedi.

The Inquisitors are intense. Reva is super intimidating. Her anger makes me squirm. It’s like how Darth Maul was always shown snarling. Reva is a great villain (having read through the thread, I see not everyone agrees with me).

Star Wars is starting to feel like a larger universe. I liked getting to see three very different planets.

Mac10
I wish I had super powers

Sun May 29, 2022 11:57 am

Enjoying it so far, I'm finding it not quite as good as The Mandalorian but better than Book of Boba Fett, all except for Reva who come's across more of a pantomime villan, not sure if it bad acting or just bad scripting but she does drag things down quite a bit, more of a spoilt child thad a Jedi killing Inquisitor.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 29, 2022 3:27 pm

Spoiler! :
I find it really interesting how down on Reva a lot of people are as I can't really see the issue with her acting or dialogue. I know her ambition is an issue only because they mention that several times, but I don't get why. What is wrong with her methods? The organization that will blow up a planet to get some information thinks it's going too far to hire bounty hunters or murder a bartender to draw out their prey? "Yeah we're evil, Reva, but cool your jets there!"

So my perspective is... The biggest problem with the character is from the cues given by the other Inquisitors. I can't imagine Vader having any problem with her methods (bounty hunters? We don't need their scum). But the others don't like her or her behavior so we aren't supposed to either I guess? That's my only issue is that conflict feels kinda forced, but I just don't see what's wrong with her performance at all. Using the force to do parkour and make a dramatic entrance? That's straight out of the Anakin playbook as far as I can tell (the guy held a door from opening all the way with the Force and turned off his breathing machine to sneak into a darkened corridor so he could maximize fear when he turned everything on). So is having a grudge and going off script to get what you want. She's a little one note I guess but the villains haven't been super fleshed out yet. It's also not their show.

Return to “The Multiplex”