Obi-Wan Kenobi - Disney+ Series

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Obi-Wan Kenobi - Disney+ Series

Fri May 27, 2022 5:29 pm

Spoiler! :
My impression was always she was on the run and went to Tatooine specifically to get Obi-Wan. She had no idea about Luke or why Obi-Wan was on that planet, just that he was a hero and she needed help getting those plans back to Alderan. She likely knew Vader was pursuing her and that's why Kenobi became her objective. That changed slightly when she knew she would be captured but still needed Kenobi to get those plans home.

Leia's lack of reaction to Kenobi's death can be explained because, first off, she's probably emotionally numb and on full snark mode at that point after losing her entire planet. Fac, you brought this up in another thread. But also, that scene is really about Luke's reaction to the death, and how he is now completely alone and stranded. Of course, if George had planned for Kenobi to have saved Leia a decade prior, he may have written the scene differently, but oh well. And doesn't really negate things. Leia is obviously massively adept at compartmentalizing.

As far as what she says in the message stored in R2, could she have been speaking kinda vaguely in case the droid was intercepted and that would maintain the secret that it was Kenobi who saved her as a child? Not sure that entirely tracks but just an idea.

I had known about Leia being in the shwo somehow, so that was leaked, but still very excited for it. I'd actually been under the impression she would be in the show far more than Luke. It's gonna be awkward, for me, when they put out a figure of her that I can put on the shelf next to Solo from the same time period, and how much older he is. (Not like he knew her as a child then got with her, which is definitely creepy.)

With Vader, I remember some novel from before Disney where they showed Kenobi figuring out THAT was Anakin now. He'd believed Anakin had died on Mustafar and had no idea he became this cyborg monster. Since very few in the galaxy were aware Anakin = Vader, it's believable everyone, including Obi-Wan, would believe he was dead. I assume it won't take long for him to figure out who Vader is once they're near each other but it's not surprising he hasn't figured out the truth yet.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 27, 2022 5:53 pm

Spoiler! :
I think Obi-Wan saw the holo-video of Anakin being called Darth Vader by Palpatine in RotS? So as soon as anyone referenced a Darth Vader wandering about the galaxy he should know who it is and that his assumption he was dead was very wrong. But I get the sense that Vader hasn't been out and about that much for the Jedi purge the last 10 years. The addition of Anakin Skywalker's name by Reva may be evidence that Reva knew them both and has put it together where others like the Grand Inquisitor may not have, or that she has a direct line to Vader for some reason.

Ultimately whether it was the plan or not, Leia got to Obi-Wan. Not a major issue, and your theory works. Of course the more they fill in the blanks, the more they open up some other issues, but ANH doesn't suggest Obi-Wan was hiding and the Jedi were on the run, just that he was part of some old order no one cared about or valued - hence Tarkin dismissing Kenobi being on board the Death Star as essentially "that's a you problem Vader, I don't much care". Not that even an old Kenobi is major threat.

I think the rest of the series is set up very well - does Obi-Wan try to get to Vader and turn him back? Or does Vader come after Obi-Wan?

Also, I note that in the "previously on" clips from the prequel, they did show a shot of Jar Jar for a beat, possibly a hint that he will appear...
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 27, 2022 6:01 pm

Spoiler! :
Ugh, I forgot that beat in ROTS, I'm almost positive you're right about Sidious calling him that.

And not that they really need to justify dialogue from other movies ("Do you remember your mother? Your REAL mother?"), but "Obi-Wan once thought as you do" with "He's more machine now than man, twisted and evil" could certainly be paid off by Obi-Wan making one last attempt to swing his friend back.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 27, 2022 6:24 pm

My hope for this show is actually
Spoiler! :
to spin off into a Leia show. It would serve to show a different side of the ramp-up to Rebellion from Andor, and explore her character since she had far more going on before ANH than Luke. It would also work to have Vader as an occasional character, and Tarkin could cameo since she clearly knew both before ANH. Jimmy Smitts etc. Saw Guerrera, Enfys Nest, and some of the Rebel people freaking out in Rogue One, etc. Raddus, Antoc Merrick, even a young Jyn could show up as well as Chirrut and Baze, even Galen and Krennec. And of course Hera Syndulla. And you know.... maybe even Rosario Dawson for one episode. Hell, have Bail need some smuggling that never involves his daughter and he contracts the Millennium Falcon. Come on, that is EXACTLY what Star Wars would do.
Semi-related, but for the record... I've never come close to being a "Remove Kathleen Kennedy!" person, but I guess the closest I came was with her remarks about Solo teaching them to never recast. This of course while pimping a show with Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan. But that was extremely disappointing to me because that is the WRONG lesson to learn from Solo, especially when so many are still clamoring for Sebastian Stan to take over as Luke.

And to get back to my above idea:
Spoiler! :
But with a Leia show, it could be cool to have the actress age over the series into the OT era. Do a backdoor recast in a sense.
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 27, 2022 6:35 pm

It's all about recasting *right*. Solo is a character made of charisma and swagger. They picked an actor with 15% charisma and zero natural swagger. Can't recover from that - and didn't.

Saw the new Indiana Jones image yesterday and the headline of the article cracked me up - "‘Indiana Jones 5’ First Look: Harrison Ford Returns as Swaggering Adventurer". Yep! :)

That said, I would love this universe to push forward and tell new stories where recasting needn't be a thing, but...

Felt these first two episodes were interesting, and thankfully, competently crafted. I have no history with Inquisitors outside of knowing which ones got figures (never watched Rebels), but I'm interested in seeing this story unfold. And appreciate that each of these episodes had a narrative point.
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 27, 2022 7:00 pm

Any Jar Jar yet?
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 27, 2022 8:25 pm

He does appear in the "previously on" section of clips from the prequels before the first episode, so maybe foreshadowing...?
Bip
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 27, 2022 8:33 pm

Great start so far.
Spoiler! :
-I love ten year old Leia. She's adorable and does act like....well....Leia.
-l like seeing this side of Obi Wan. You can see the toll episode 3 took on him and this man is completely broken.
-Ewan's reaction to finding out Anakin was alive was amazing.
-Was that a Rex cameo or just a random clone?
-Either the Grand Inquisitor is a clone in rebels or he's cyberneticed up like everyone else is in the new Star Wars shows after what Reva did.
Boy Wonder
Attempting to Avoid the Void

Sat May 28, 2022 1:07 am

That is something I wish was kind of established better is just how much the galaxy knows of who’s running the empire. Like, obviously they know Palpatine, right? But is Vader just not known to the wider population? Like is he not standing menacingly in the background when Palpy gives his state of the Union address?
K_Steel
Prognostibator

Sat May 28, 2022 1:32 am

First reaction, without seeing any reviews or anything, I liked it. It was good.

The score and direction were well done. The dialogue is a bit sharper than Mando's early episodes, which is good.

Some of the villains were over the top, but it provided for some unintentional comedy.

The biggest problem with this show that I found jarring... was trying to use Prequel footage to elicit dramatic weight. The prequels are terrible, and it takes one out of the immersion of this vast improvement of a series... by cutting back to footage of those cringy films.
TheFallen
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 28, 2022 1:41 am

I felt this was a bit disappointing. The acting was off, especially the actress playing Reva. I think that she is an annoying character and very one dimensional.

The Inquisitors looked off and didn’t seem very intimidating, no matter how hard the show tried to make them.

I do like the concept and the direction they are going with the story elements but I’m not just feeling it at the moment.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sat May 28, 2022 4:24 am

TheFallen wrote: I felt this was a bit disappointing. The acting was off, especially the actress playing Reva. I think that she is an annoying character and very one dimensional.
I thought it was well acted EXCEPT for Reva. She grates on me. It's one of those things where you're supposed to hate the villain, but you're not really supposed to hate them in a way of 'I don't want this person on my screen anymore.' Like, I legitimately do not want to hear that character speak ever again in this show. And even though I KNEW it wasn't happening, I would have loved a hard swerve with Obi-Wan chopping her in half and Vader or Grand being the main villain of the rest of the show.

It's not a shot against the actor. I don't know her work well enough to know if she's a good actor or not. Maybe her dialogue is not well-written or she's not being directed well. I don't know. But that character is the woooorst. I would rather sit through an entire series of Darth Jar Jar, at this point.

But the rest of the show was fun and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.
captaincracker
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 28, 2022 5:39 am

After being thoroughly disappointed in the Book of Boba Fett, I had no expectations or excitement for this show. I figured it would be a nice surprise if it were any good and I really liked most of it. Like has already been mentioned, the only bad part was Reva. She's just so poorly written. I don't need a bad 80's "I do things my own way" stereotype in this show.

The good thing is she in no way ruined the show for me, but I kind of hope she has limited screen time. I really like the Jedi we met in episode 2 as well as the Jawa with an attitude in episode 1. I'm very much looking forward to the rest of the series.
TheFallen
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 28, 2022 5:39 am

KnightDamien wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 4:24 am
TheFallen wrote: I felt this was a bit disappointing. The acting was off, especially the actress playing Reva. I think that she is an annoying character and very one dimensional.
I thought it was well acted EXCEPT for Reva. She grates on me. It's one of those things where you're supposed to hate the villain, but you're not really supposed to hate them in a way of 'I don't want this person on my screen anymore.' Like, I legitimately do not want to hear that character speak ever again in this show. And even though I KNEW it wasn't happening, I would have loved a hard swerve with Obi-Wan chopping her in half and Vader or Grand being the main villain of the rest of the show.

It's not a shot against the actor. I don't know her work well enough to know if she's a good actor or not. Maybe her dialogue is not well-written or she's not being directed well. I don't know. But that character is the woooorst. I would rather sit through an entire series of Darth Jar Jar, at this point.

But the rest of the show was fun and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.
You word things way better than I can but this is exactly how I felt about her. I think her, and the Inquisitors in general is where my dislike for the show stems from.

Yes, villains are meant to be hated. I hated Palplatine, I hated Moff Gideon but I still enjoyed watching them. I do not enjoy Reva.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 28, 2022 6:05 am

K_Steel wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 1:32 am
First reaction, without seeing any reviews or anything, I liked it. It was good.
But your opinion may change after seeing reviews? What are your favorite youtubers saying about it?

Return to “The Multiplex”