Superman and Lois

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Superman and Lois

Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:33 pm

Do we really not have a thread for Superman and Lois or am I just not seeing it?

I know people have mixed feelings on about the CW Arrowverse shows. They range from good/adequate to hot garbage but I appreciate what they have done (long running interconnected multiverse building) and I'm always willing to give them a shot. I even sat through an episode of Batwoman despite what I was hearing....

I just watched the premiere of Superman and Lois and I gotta say....I get why people like these actors in the roles. They nailed it when I think of what these two characters should be like.

I'm a pretty big fan of the look of the show. It looks a lot more polished and has the feel of a movie compared to the usual look on the CW. Superman is such a tough character but I'm pretty optimistic from what I've seen so far.

What are everyone else's thoughts. Did you see it? Do you plan on continuing to watch it? What do you think of the new suit? What do you think of the "old" suit ;)
SalemCrow
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: Superman and Lois

Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:46 pm

We had an Arrowverse thread, but it may be a couple pages back now.

I was at work, but during my break (the TV in the break room was on the CW) I did catch the beginning of the show when Clark was giving the premise of the show, and I loved the call back to Action Comics with his suit and the green car held aloft.
Ro-El
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:53 pm

I saw it. Seems pretty decent so far. I will remain mildly hopeful and open to it. I've stopped watching CW superhero shows for years now. Didn't even bother with Batwoman...both seasons. I just want good storytelling. And while it's not unavoidable in this day and age, I hope they just tone down the real world politics and agendas and focus on good story telling going forward. If this show goes down the path the other shows did, I will drop out.

That said I hope this show maintains the action or even upping it a little more. Obviously, I would like for aunt Kara to show up eventually. Heck, even Ollie, the LOS, and Barry should show up too. I want an episode with the time honored foot race between Clark and Barry.

The new suit seems good. However I think they need to redesign the shoulder paddings a little and tone it down some. There were a few screen shots where the shape of the shoulders looked out of place or too big on the actor. Like you could really tell that's fake and takes you out of the suspension of disbelief. I wonder though, if Conner Kent will show up as well at some point. Then Clark would have to deal with three sons and one who is part Luthor. That'd be fun to see on live action screen. Oh and Damian Wayne should absolutely show up and interact with the Kent boys. Absolutely.
maverick10126

Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:02 pm

Reverse mortgages were something that I didn't ever think of when I considered a Superman story but I think it works as a plot device to get him back to Smallville and it doesn't feel overly political.

One of the sons having social anxiety also seems to be fine.

I get what you're saying as far as shows getting too political. I'm personally fine with mixing current things into stories but my problem is when the story itself suffers. I've taken a lot of classes and read up on story structure and so forth and I find that a lot of those inclusions into shows feel out of place. The story stuffers because the message was forced rather than being natural result of the direction the story was going.

I'm reminded of Seinfeld where Jerry complains about Watly converting to Judaism purely for the jokes. "And this offends you as a Jewish person." "No it offends me as a comedian." That's how the messaging "offends" me....not as the message itself but as a writer who doesn't like lazy writing.

I was pretty happy with the level of action. I think Superman works best when they always leave you wanting more. I loved Smallville and the tease of Super-powers. It made those scenes feel special. This show felt similar, the scenes left me wanting to see more Superman action. Man Of Steel was the opposite. It was too much Superman action and the senses get numb to it.

The opening scene at the Nuclear Power Plant was perfect imo. That felt like a Superman saves the day moment that I always wanted to see.
Ro-El
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:19 pm

Well to be fair Man of Steel was a one shot action movie so people are expecting in your face over the top Superman action. People see it, digest it, then are supposed to wait years for a sequel. If that movie had the level of the the tv action, I'd be pissed. lol. The level of action on the show given the constraints is fine but I'm worried in future episodes since its a tv series, we'll start to see more Clark than Superman if that makes any sense. I'll be onboard for now.

Also I don't buy for a second that Jonathan is "normal." Kid's probably got latent abilities that won't manifest till years later. Can't be half Kryptonian and not get at least one ability from that gene pool.
maverick10126

Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:45 pm

Jonathan isn't normal. We already saw him snap the rope with the football as a kid. I have a feeling their powers are going to manifest at different times. I'm guessing neither kid gets the full spectrum of powers.

I get that people were expecting over the top action with MoS but still, that movie just felt flat in many respects. More action in a Superhero movie doesn't necessarily mean better. Christopher Nolan's Batman movies only had minor spurts of action. The MCU movies just had action delved out in spurts. MoS just felt dragged out. The Superman/Zod fight was just boring when it should have been exciting.

I don't think this show will downgrade the action. It seems to have the budget to deliver weekly. TV shows in general have been getting heftier budgets as the years have gone on and the good ones have used it wisely.

As much as this show will be about Clark I think the title was very telling in what we can expect. This is Superman and Lois. Meaning Superman will be front and center for once. Not avoided for 10 years like on Smallville, not secondary like he was on Lois and Clark. This will finally be live action Superman.
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:01 am

maverick10126 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:02 pm
I get what you're saying as far as shows getting too political. I'm personally fine with mixing current things into stories but my problem is when the story itself suffers. I've taken a lot of classes and read up on story structure and so forth and I find that a lot of those inclusions into shows feel out of place. The story stuffers because the message was forced rather than being natural result of the direction the story was going.

I'm reminded of Seinfeld where Jerry complains about Watly converting to Judaism purely for the jokes. "And this offends you as a Jewish person." "No it offends me as a comedian." That's how the messaging "offends" me....not as the message itself but as a writer who doesn't like lazy writing.
I love this comment, it's so on-point. I honestly feel like writers consider the audience to not be smart enough to pick up on whatever message they are trying to convey, so they feel they have to bludgeon us with it, rather than deliver it with subtlety.
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:03 am

maverick10126 wrote:
Do we really not have a thread for Superman and Lois or am I just not seeing it?

I know people have mixed feelings on about the CW Arrowverse shows. They range from good/adequate to hot garbage but I appreciate what they have done (long running interconnected multiverse building) and I'm always willing to give them a shot. I even sat through an episode of Batwoman despite what I was hearing....

I just watched the premiere of Superman and Lois and I gotta say....I get why people like these actors in the roles. They nailed it when I think of what these two characters should be like.

I'm a pretty big fan of the look of the show. It looks a lot more polished and has the feel of a movie compared to the usual look on the CW. Superman is such a tough character but I'm pretty optimistic from what I've seen so far.

What are everyone else's thoughts. Did you see it? Do you plan on continuing to watch it? What do you think of the new suit? What do you think of the "old" suit ;)
I have not watched this yet, but even though I gave up on CW superhero shows, I love Superman so much (when he's done right) that I will give just about any incarnation a chance and hope for the best. I have three day weekend so maybe I'll try to track it down online.
Ro-El
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

maverick10126 wrote:
The Superman/Zod fight was just boring when it should have been exciting.
We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this. lol
maverick10126

Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:09 am

yojoebro82 wrote:
maverick10126 wrote:

I have not watched this yet, but even though I gave up on CW superhero shows, I love Superman so much (when he's done right) that I will give just about any incarnation a chance and hope for the best. I have three day weekend so maybe I'll try to track it down online.
The CW App is free and you can watch shows on there the day after they air.
maverick10126

Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:16 am

Ro-El wrote:
maverick10126 wrote:
The Superman/Zod fight was just boring when it should have been exciting.
We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this. lol
As long as we are civil about the disagreements, that's fine with me :)

I'm hopeful for this show. I'm glad that they held off on a Superman until now. I'm hopeful everything they learned from producing the previous Arrowverse shows will result in a better product. I'm also thinking the success of the other ones will have proven these shows have an audience and keep the budget up.

Of course I'm also just hoping they will eventually give up on Batwoman (recasting after one season isn't a good start) and make a Batman show.
Ro-El
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:30 am

Batman hasn't seen live action tv since what....Adam West? I don't count Gotham and then we get a legacy show in Batwoman but never the Bat himself. It's high time to put it back on TV. I'd like it to be partly like those crime shows where Bats really puts his detective skills to work solving crimes. Or do something really off the wall the like a Gotham by Gaslight series. And I would like to see a Wonder Woman tv show at some point too.

At least for now, one of the Trinity is back on the tv screen so it's a start. I'll hope for the best and if it does do good, maybe Superman will be the catalyst into bringing the other big two back on tv. Looking forward to the next episode. Huh, imagine that, a CW superhero show that caught my interest. Haven't seen that in years.
Magnuz
Tyrant

Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:37 am

I was all in on arrow up to the team season with the trainees and I'd gotten bored of the repetativeness of the show. Flash kept me until the thinker but I got tired of some of its same repetitiveness and it's schlocky cw drama. Supergirl suffered from bad cw drama too, legends was too goofy for me and batwoman just lost me midway by being kind of stupid.

This show felt worlds different, better drama, better characters, better cinematography and overall style and I like the actors. I expect the worst with the teen sons being a key component and cw drama teen angst being the biggest issue with these shows but so far I'm excited.

Also
Spoiler! :
what do we think of "Captain Luthor", not Jon Cryer, his comments about coming from a world destroyed I'm assuming multiverse. Maybe the result of Oliver collapsing the multiverse? My natural reaction to another earth luthor is to think of earth 2 with the crime syndicate but that luthor was good.

Don't care for the suit design, I know they didn't want to give it away too fast but it's so plain and boring it just looks like doom guy.
maverick10126

Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:04 pm

Two episodes in and I'm not disappointed. This feels like Superman...the action still feels top notch. The scale feels larger than the other CW shows. Thankfully the teenage angst isn't overwhelming. The show is smart enough to remember the title of the show...the teenage drama seems to exist to further develop the characters of both Superman and Lois which is refreshing. That's why we are watching the show after all. To see Superman do Superman stuff and Lois do her Lois thing.
Magnuz
Tyrant

Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:05 am

They've clearly anchored the show on the twins drama (life, powers, school etc) and how it has an effect on Clark trying to be a father and husband not just superman.

It adds a new dynamic and may solve the most common complaint that superman is boring, he's not now.

Also [email protected]#$ Robert the Bruce as Jor-El that was a surprise.

Return to “The Multiplex”