Gina Carano Fired by Disney

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
Maximoff
no more subnics
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Gina Carano Fired by Disney

Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:18 am

I didn’t see anything really get out of hand. At least not in the comparative history of being here for more than a decade. It was the right call to take this out of the toy discussion area there which I assume is where it started but I didn’t find it until it was here.

Anyway

Cloak-n-Dagger
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:23 am

I am a somewhat left-leaning person that works for an extremely right-leaning company. We all had to sign a social media agreement that we would be held responsible for anything we might post on social media. Do you think I'm out there posting left-leaning stuff on my accounts? Not a chance because I don't want to lose my job, as sad as that sounds. If your employers don't agree with how you are representing their company, they can terminate you. Gina was warned even, it sounds like.

She has the right to her free speech, but her employer also has a right to decide she is not representing their company image, same as mine. I opt to keep my mouth shut and my social media quiet, she could have done the same and kept her job.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ibentmyman-thing
Shakespeare of Fwoosh

Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:27 am

Oh noes weesa bombad judged.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:56 am

Carano has announced that she's going to be making movies with Ben Shapiro now. In case you were still not quite sure what kind of person she is.
fac
Avengers Assemble

Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:32 am

Piffy wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:38 am
I was once told, by my manager and the owner of the company I worked for, during a yearly review, that it was "unprofessional" that I was out of the closet at work.
That's absurd. Was any of that from your peers as well or just management? No need to discuss the details but I think most large corporations would consider that a potentially fire-able HR violation to make any employee feel uncomfortable based on orientation (especially from a manager).

Which is what I suspect happened with Carano - Disney likely was weighing the impact on co-workers (and maybe their complaints) about how vocal she was with her positions (and not just her opinions, but the mocking and dismissive tone she used in presenting them) along with the company image that drove this. I'm not buying it was just internet uproar from outside.
BruceKent
CROM!

Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:28 am

Good riddance,btw some fool paid $230 for her figure on eBay recently!
featofstrength
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:57 am

Maximoff wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:48 am
Disney co-owns Lucas Films
What?! No way!!
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:35 am

KnightDamien wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:56 am
Carano has announced that she's going to be making movies with Ben Shapiro now. In case you were still not quite sure what kind of person she is.
Two strikes against me. I have no idea what Carano tweeted to get her fired, and I have not idea who Ben Shapiro is. I swear to God I'm not THAT old, I guess I just have other things going on in life :)

Anyway, I've said my pease on this topic. I liked Cara Dune, I'll miss her. But The Mandalorian will survive. Bring me season three!
Lobster Johnson
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Location: The good Lobster is in the Lodge, and he can't leave

Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:34 am

Man, I wish I didn't know who Ben Shapiro is.
Maximoff
no more subnics

Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:27 am

Lobster Johnson wrote:Man, I wish I didn't know who Ben Shapiro is.
Yeah what a nice world that would be.
scribb
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:15 pm

I take it posts got deleted somewhere? I have no idea who Ben Shapiro is. But clearly he's not the best example of humanity by the way you guys talk about him- so I'll plough on with my ignorance.

I take it the Cara Dune figures are increasing in value? I was on the fence about opening the Credit Collection when I got them, but I did so for purposes of space. Given that I was on the fence about even keeping them- that was a stupid decision in hindsight!
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:15 pm

scribb wrote:

I take it the Cara Dune figures are increasing in value? I was on the fence about opening the Credit Collection when I got them, but I did so for purposes of space. Given that I was on the fence about even keeping them- that was a stupid decision in hindsight!
ebay sold listings:
Black Series $100-$150 range (with a $250 outlier :o )
Credit collection $75ish
Vintage Collection $40-$100

You CAN, however, still get her Retro figure for the equivalent of a regular price if you buy the case of figures at Dorkside (her single is sold out)
https://dorksidetoys.com/collections/st ... ion-figure
I wonder, will that figure end up getting pulled?

I guess the SW fans go a bit crazy when they know a character isn't coming back? What other SW character do we KNOW will never get a re-release?
Bashbash99
CROM!

Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:52 pm

yojoebro82 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:15 pm
scribb wrote:

ebay sold listings:
Black Series $100-$150 range (with a $250 outlier :o )
Credit collection $75ish
Vintage Collection $40-$100

You CAN, however, still get her Retro figure for the equivalent of a regular price if you buy the case of figures at Dorkside (her single is sold out)
https://dorksidetoys.com/collections/st ... ion-figure
I wonder, will that figure end up getting pulled?

I guess the SW fans go a bit crazy when they know a character isn't coming back? What other SW character do we KNOW will never get a re-release?
I thought disney/hasbro has said they won't ever make a chain mail bikini ROTJ Leia again.

aside from that, maybe Constable Zuvio??!!?? although i wouldn't put it past disney to bring the character back somehow as an in-joke, kind of like how they worked the ice cream maker from ESB into Mando.
Boke18
Runs Around in Tights

Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:23 pm

After reading the first few pages. WOW shocked to see some here defend her on this by simply stating it's her "politics" unless you believe her brand of politics is transphobic, racist and anti-science then sure. Otherwise you're just arguing in bad faith.

Glad she's gone. She wasn't "cancelled" she said atrocious shit for months while Disney and co were very patient with her. She talked herself out of a job and role of a lifetime.
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:13 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:31 am
I think it's weird that people try to frame this as 'political.'
When you suggest that some of the most wack-job, horrible, grotesque things human beings can say with their face-hole are 'political' - you're making a statement that one 'side' owns that kind of vileness. If you believe that there are people on the right that aren't absolutely [email protected]#$ monstrous in their 'opinions' - then you are admitting that it is NOT political to hold people accountable for saying awful things.

And of course, it MUST be the latter. Gina's earlier 'no-no' comments were often about not wanting to wear masks and shit because MUH FREDUMZ! and we know that's a sentiment that is shared between some people on the right and some (if fewer) people on the left.

Anyway.. it's not poltiical. She was scummy and she scummed her way into getting fired. Not because people demanded it. Because she refused to stop making a spectacle of herself over it. Disney didn't respond to some petition to remove Gina. They responded to -visibly being able to look at- the shitstorm she was creating on social media.

Also, [email protected]#$ Gina Carano, and you'll never convince me that her being fired for being a scumbag is a bad thing.

I think everything is political, so obviously this is no exception in my mind. I don't think it's a right vs. left thing, but one side proudly claims all of the vitriol and word vomit and then attempts to defend it. Let's not forget the victimhood stuff at play here, which is central to political identity for people like Ben Shapiro.

This country will never get better as long as you're allowed to spew hatred and make stupid, selfish decisions (anti-masking, for instance) in the name of freedom.

Return to “The Multiplex”