Gina Carano Fired by Disney

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
Benedict
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Gina Carano Fired by Disney

Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:58 pm

Person beliefs stupid things complains about being persecuted as much as an entire race of people for aforementioned beliefs.

That’s not persecution, it’s calling out someone out for spreading dangerous and irresponsible views. She should’ve been fired a long time ago.

She believes wearing a mask is an infringement on human rights, that’s idiocy plain and simple.

In the interest of rehabilitation, hopefully she change for the better, and not just double down instead.
MARVEL KNIGHT 2099
Such a cute little cheerleader

Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:03 am

All I'm really gonna say on this, as an outsider looking in on the matter, is that yeah the term "cancel culture" is being thrown around way too loosely nowadays. It doesn't apply to all situations like this. This isn't a case of cancel culture.

This is cause and effect.

Carano constantly vocalizes controversial or problematic beliefs and statements, she's warned about this behavior multiple times after multiple instances of backlash, she ignores said warnings and continues her actions, she gets dropped by Disney and her agency. She's not being silenced. She's not being cancelled. She was clearly informed that how she was going about this on her SM platforms was troublesome to multiple sources and clearly chose to ignore it. Thus, she got fired.

Cause and effect.

Cancel culture applies more to groups of people trying to get an individual removed from a position or platform over something they said in the past that, at the time would have been ignored or socially acceptable, but in the current social climate would be heavily frowned upon. And most of the time those people either don't even remember they said it or don't even hold what they said as a belief today. The James Gunn stuff? Cancel culture. Gina Carano's case? Not cancel culture.
Maximoff
no more subnics

Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:09 am

Benedict wrote:Person beliefs stupid things complains about being persecuted as much as an entire race of people for aforementioned beliefs.

That’s not persecution, it’s calling out someone out for spreading dangerous and irresponsible views. She should’ve been fired a long time ago.

She believes wearing a mask is an infringement on human rights, that’s idiocy plain and simple.

In the interest of rehabilitation, hopefully she change for the better, and not just double down instead.
She basically just doubled down. Disney had already spoken to her about previous statements. She was supposed to have her own series announced with all the others but Disney scrapped it based on things she said in November. She got to keep the Mandolorian job at least until now. Now she’s totally out of Disney. And very doubtful any one else will touch her if Disney is done with her. Not a smart lady.
Capman
Amalgam version of "Bat America"

Gina Carano Fired by Disney

Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:18 am

I’m a conservative, and Gina had this coming. Not because of cancel culture, but because she was on the equivalent of a performance improvement plan with Disney and said, “Screw it!”

Tweet was stupid, and her career will suffer the consequences.
Maximoff
no more subnics

Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:32 am

Capman wrote:I’m a conservative, and Gina had this coming. Not because of cancel culture, but because she was on the equivalent of a performance improvement plan with Disney and said, “Screw it!”

Exactly, look at it from a job perspective and not just a “you’re entitled to your opinions” perspective. (Mind you hate speech is not free speech but I’m not talking about that right now). She’s lucky she didn’t get straight fired after the trans comments. The STAR of the show Pedro Pascal has a trans sister. Doesn’t create the best working environment when your coworker is spouting anti-trans stuff.
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:14 am

Maximoff wrote:
Capman wrote:I’m a conservative, and Gina had this coming. Not because of cancel culture, but because she was on the equivalent of a performance improvement plan with Disney and said, “Screw it!”

Exactly, look at it from a job perspective and not just a “you’re entitled to your opinions” perspective. (Mind you hate speech is not free speech but I’m not talking about that right now). She’s lucky she didn’t get straight fired after the trans comments. The STAR of the show Pedro Pascal has a trans sister. Doesn’t create the best working environment when your coworker is spouting anti-trans stuff.
I agree it’s earned. I will still say her comments are being misreported/misrepresented; her comparison is exaggerated, and doesn’t correlate to any equivalent of violence. But it wasn’t antisemitic, comparing her perceived political foes Nazis, or a Holocaust joke/denial (as I’ve seen elsewhere). Doesn’t excuse any of her previous comments. I don’t think this was worthy of being fireable, but I understand Disney seeing it as the straw that broke the camel’s back.
Amazing_Spider-Man
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:25 am

She’s been working towards this for a long time, I congratulate her for torpedoing her career. It takes a real jenius to continue tweeting reckless, irresponsible things because it gets you negative PR, and thinking that’s a good thing.
Bip
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:19 am

I'm not really surprised by this. I've been a big fan of Carano since her mma days but can't really defend her on this. She knew the things she posted were controversial and she knew she had a code of conduct to follow under Disney but kept doing it anyway. This is her fault and hers alone. I do feel sorry for Favreau though because he went to bat for her the first time this began to happen. This is a shitty situation but I hope she can get back on her feet.
zaxby
I wish I had super powers

Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:10 am

Yeah I liked her character on the show. I don't understand why anyone who has something to lose would use social media like this. Hire a PR firm and let them keep you our of trouble
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:32 am

Personally, I don't care whether or not she lands on her feet. I hope she can see the error of her ways and seek atonement from those who she offended.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:52 pm

What I really am curious about is how long this remains a topic that matters to people. Meaning how long are people going to be standing in solidarity with her defending her actions and how long is the other side going to bother engaging in pointing out the problems with her statements.

I honestly think she's overestimating her popularity here a bit. I mean, we know this was her pushing things to see how far she could go after she was warned about this. This is an outcome anyone could have predicted and she seemed to want to force. So she was thinking her becoming a martyr is a more beneficial outcome than staying employed. But for how long will people care that she was a martyr?

I think a week tops before everyone moves onto a new topic and this doesn't matter anymore. Season 3 doesn't come out until late December at the earliest. I really doubt her not being in the show anymore will be the focus at that point. I'm sure the campaigns will be to bring back Grogu rather than Cara Dune.

Another thought I had, do you think this was done semi pre-emptively before she caused further problems? Filming is set to start in April. I'm sure they have mask protocols on set. Maybe they were hedging their bets thinking she was going to cause a stir once she had to report to set. I'm sure the decision to let her go had already been made and they were just looking for an excuse with good timing. The timing of this works out well, it's well after season 2 aired so they don't have to worry about people skipping out during the season and it's before they start filing.

For all the people I've been seeing posting how they plan to cancel their Disney + subscriptions, how long do you guys think that's going to last? Maybe a couple will stick with it but I doubt they hold out forever. They will come back and check out the new content.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:27 pm

Itll probably be about the same as the Amber Heard issue. People talk about boycotting Aquaman 2 just cause shes in it. But are they really gonna? A couple may. I won't go just cause of the pandemic. But I know I'm gonna buy the Blu Ray. I'm sure some of these people are gonna go back to Disney+ shortly, especially with all the stuff in the pipeline. Book of Boba Fett, Ahsoka, Kenobi, all the Marvel projects. It's just a matter of time. With their coworkers and friends and family telling them about all this stuff happening on there they'll feel left out. And then cave.

I quite enjoyed Aquaman 1 and can't wait for the 2nd one. Does it suck AH is a part of it? Yea. But the same with keeping the Cara Dune figure and still watching Mando. It's easy for me to separate the art from the artist.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Maximoff
no more subnics

Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:11 pm

It will be the same people who “boycott” Starbucks when they don’t put a Christmas tree on the holiday cups every year. There are not enough of these people to actually do anything. Anyone actually bothered by her removal would have left Disney years ago for any of their other “leftist” “liberal” decisions. You’re definitely not going to find a genuine Star Wars fan who is going to give up all of future Star Wars content because a B, possibly C, character got taken out because of stuff the actor said.
Bashbash99
CROM!

Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:00 pm

whatever, she felt shoehorned into S2 of Mando anyhow. but she certainly screwed herself out of a (potentially) big part in the Rangers of the new republic show, and i'm not sure how many more acting gigs she will get given the current controversy and the fact that she isn't getting any younger.

The holocaust comparison in and of itself might've been forgiveable as just being over the top but really it was the final straw for disney after months of offensive posts on social media that went against the disney brand. I don't get why more stars don't hire professionals to manage their social accounts but it seems clear Carano really really really wanted to be a victim so now she will try and milk that for all its worth. I expect we will next see her in one of those evangelical left behind type movies with the likes of Kevin Sorbo, etc.
legendkiller533
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:12 pm

Bashbash99 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:00 pm
I don't get why more stars don't hire professionals to manage their social accounts
because they're dumb. there are like 6 who are genuinely good at it and can use it to expand their brand. the rest think they can but so something stupid instead

Return to “The Multiplex”