Gina Carano Fired by Disney

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
Maximoff
no more subnics
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Gina Carano Fired by Disney

Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:22 pm

In case anyone is wondering what a Ben Shapiro made movie could look like, here’s a description of a book he wrote.

KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:13 pm

TheSameIdiot wrote:
I think everything is political, so obviously this is no exception in my mind. I don't think it's a right vs. left thing, but one side proudly claims all of the vitriol and word vomit and then attempts to defend it. Let's not forget the victimhood stuff at play here, which is central to political identity for people like Ben Shapiro.

This country will never get better as long as you're allowed to spew hatred and make stupid, selfish decisions (anti-masking, for instance) in the name of freedom.

I think you and I are on the same page for most of this, but my opinions on the right are hardcore soapbox stuff. What I was trying to reinforce to her defenders and people pretending they're not defending her and are just outraged by 'the whole situation' is this: If you're going to say that this is 'political' - then you also HAVE to be saying that transphobia, antisemitism, and all her other shit behaviour is owned by one specific political side. And if that's true, then maybe that political side is just evil?

It's hilarious to me that (some/many) conservatives will be like 'it's political to shut down someone for being transphobic.' That's a tacit admission that a particular political party -endorses- transphobia. But you know, we're not talking about people known for critical thinking.
featofstrength
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:41 am

When Carson Teva inquires about the MIA Marshall Dune, Greef Karga must deliver some terrible news in the season 3 premiere of The Mandalorian: all the pain from years as a Rebellion shock trooper lead to a deadly addiction to prescription Snivvian opioids.
Amazing_Spider-Man
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:35 am

If they don't recast her, I don't think they'll even mention Cara Dune again.

And a recast is totally possible in a universe that has Changelings in them. Very hard to imagine that Zam Wessel was the only changeling in a galaxy far far away.
KnightDamien

Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:48 am

Amazing_Spider-Man wrote:

And a recast is totally possible in a universe that has Changelings in them. Very hard to imagine that Zam Wessel was the only changeling in a galaxy far far away.
Not like they need to talk about it. Marvel didn't make War Machine a changeling just because they recast the actor. Just recast her and move on like nothing is different. The only people that would give a shit have already vowed to cancel Disney+ and never watch another thing they make ever again anyway.
Amazing_Spider-Man
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:55 am

KnightDamien wrote:

Not like they need to talk about it. Marvel didn't make War Machine a changeling just because they recast the actor. Just recast her and move on like nothing is different. The only people that would give a shit have already vowed to cancel Disney+ and never watch another thing they make ever again anyway.
That's true.

And we all know those people aren't actually going to cancel their Disney+ subs, otherwise they'll have one less thing to bitch about.
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:46 am

I don't think Hollywood exercises the recasting option often enough. You have an actor who quits, dies, or who is fired, suddenly your show has to deviate from its course to account for it. Why? All of these geek franchises are filled with evergreen characters. You'll have a new actor when they reboot anyway, what's it matter if you have a new face playing the same part along side the other original cast? I would even say skip trying to cook up a convoluted explanation about why the face is different. Did Michael Gough's Alfred have to take time out of the movie to account for Master Bruce's changing looks from Batman to Batman Forever to Batman and Robin? No, they just moved forward with the story. Just throw the new actor/actress in there and let them have at it. The fans will be OK. They're only one good performance away from accepting it and moving on.

As for Cara Dune specifically, I think you have to keep in perspective just how much this character has been around. You have two seasons, sure, but those two seasons consisted of 8 episodes each at roughly 30-45 minutes each. And of those, Cara Dune has been in what....six or eight? Contrast this to a show like Star Trek The Next Generation which had 25 episode seasons at 45 minutes each. Heck, Tasha Yar was killed off half way through season 1, and she has a lot more screen time than Cara Dune ever had. My point is Cara, for as much as I liked her, was not around long. She popped up every so often to help Mando when he was in a tough spot. If they recast, fine. But if they don't (which I'm betting on), I imagine she will be explained away with little more than a few lines of dialogue.
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:50 am

KnightDamien wrote:

Oh I forgot about War Machine, but yes. Just like that. They had plans for War Machine and they didn't scrap them just because the first actor didn't work out. No one cared that they recast him because the new actor did a fine job and that's all that matters.
KnightDamien

Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:40 am

yojoebro82 wrote: Oh I forgot about War Machine, but yes. Just like that. They had plans for War Machine and they didn't scrap them just because the first actor didn't work out. No one cared that they recast him because the new actor did a fine job and that's all that matters.
Exactly. It's jarring for maybe the first five minutes of screen time when you're like 'oh, that's supposed to be X!' and then once the story gets rolling you don't even care anymore. To get super meta about it -- they're all [email protected]#$ actors. We ALREADY have to go into a film or TV show with full understanding that who that person is... isn't who that person actually is. Your brain isn't any less capable of 'Cara Dune is now a different actor' as it is of 'that actor is now Cara Dune.'

I agree about recasting not being done enough. I understand why they don't want to make a habit out of it, but it also shouldn't be something that -can't- be done. I think what scares them is more just that it's rarely done well and a lot of times it doesn't work if it's a main character. Like Spartacus. A lot of people stopped watching after Season 1 because the lead was fantastic and the replacement for him was bland as hell. So, you've gotta manage it well.

But Dune is a cool character concept. It would suck to lose that concept over this. But you also don't want to just have them bring in a different dropper that dresses mostly the same and has the same tattoos but is actually a different character because.. it's really just a lamer version of recasting the character.

Also, I look forward to Gina Carano's new career trajectory of starring in anti-atheist, Christians-are-victims 'think pieces' alongside Kevin Sorbo and Melissa Joan Hart.
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:30 am

I think they basically had to shoehorn Cara Dune into season two. They won't be writing her out of season three so much as letting the character continue on her natural path as a sheriff in the post-Empire galaxy. Mando needed help from all of his friends in S2 to rescue Grogu. Whatever reason they had in mind to bring her back in season three probably wasn't going to make much sense anyway.

KnightDamien wrote:
It's hilarious to me that (some/many) conservatives will be like 'it's political to shut down someone for being transphobic.' That's a tacit admission that a particular political party -endorses- transphobia. But you know, we're not talking about people known for critical thinking.

The inevitable (and paradoxical) response will be that the tolerant left is intolerant of intolerance. But I think you're really onto something here:

KnightDamien wrote:
If you're going to say that this is 'political' - then you also HAVE to be saying that transphobia, antisemitism, and all her other shit behaviour is owned by one specific political side. And if that's true, then maybe that political side is just evil?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
goliathfasa
I wish I had super powers

Re: Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:34 am

jimbles wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:06 am
I 100% absolutely positively do not understand why celebrities don't run the most cookie-cutter PR-handled social media profiles possible.
To be fair, many comics pros and actors/comedians had been antagonizing potential customers on social media for years (comparing/outright calling wide swaths of the population to literal Nazis for years, diminishing the actual atrocities committed by actual Nazis, as well as the suffering of the Jews and other minorities during the Holocaust), with absolutely zero repercussion.

Perhaps it's these precedents that lead to some celebrities having the idea that they can make political commentaries on social media without fear. Alas, they were wrong.
featofstrength
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:16 pm

goliathfasa wrote:
Perhaps it's these precedents that lead to some celebrities having the idea that they can make political commentaries on social media without fear. Alas, they were wrong.
Yeah. Don’t they know to save that for their awards speeches? Something to work for. Get enough accolades and you can say as much crazy as you want, out loud and in person! Just like politicians!
KnightDamien

Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:32 am

goliathfasa wrote:
jimbles wrote:
I 100% absolutely positively do not understand why celebrities don't run the most cookie-cutter PR-handled social media profiles possible.
To be fair, many comics pros and actors/comedians had been antagonizing potential customers on social media for years (comparing/outright calling wide swaths of the population to literal Nazis for years, diminishing the actual atrocities committed by actual Nazis, as well as the suffering of the Jews and other minorities during the Holocaust), with absolutely zero repercussion.
Haha.. what? I'm sure I miss things because I don't really follow celebrity news unless it's something that ends up everywhere like this Carano stuff. But the only time I tend to see celebrities insinuating anyone is a Nazi is trashy conservatives that, you know.. tend to fly Nazi flags at hard-right hate rallies. Although I absolutely may have missed something.
Capman
Amalgam version of "Bat America"

Gina Carano Fired by Disney

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:39 am

KnightDamien wrote:
goliathfasa wrote:
jimbles wrote:
Haha.. what? I'm sure I miss things because I don't really follow celebrity news unless it's something that ends up everywhere like this Carano stuff. But the only time I tend to see celebrities insinuating anyone is a Nazi is trashy conservatives that, you know.. tend to fly Nazi flags at hard-right hate rallies. Although I absolutely may have missed something.
Using a Nazi analogy is pretty rampant among all people because it is an easy and lazy example of comparing right and wrong. A couple of Google searches to build a quick list of celebrities:

Gina Carano
Pedro Pascal
Louis CK
Glenn Beck
Linda Ronstadt
SNL
Arnold Schwarzenegger

I am not even going to try and list American conservative and liberal politicians who have used Nazi analogies/comparisons. Plenty of examples in the past 2-3 months:

AOC
Ted Cruz
Joe Biden
Donald Trump
Amazing_Spider-Man
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:25 am

Context is important...

Return to “The Multiplex”