Gina Carano Fired by Disney

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
MarcelDuchamp
Super Poseable
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Gina Carano Fired by Disney

Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:19 am

If you don't have a Cara Dune, you might want to snag one. Lucasfilm announced the actor is out for future projects.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Gina Carano Fired

Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:20 am

Cool. Now I can sell my Cara Dune to some nutjob as a 'martyr for free speech' or something. Dollah dollah bills, y'all.
MarcelDuchamp
Super Poseable

Re: Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:32 am

KnightDamien wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:20 am
Cool. Now I can sell my Cara Dune to some nutjob as a 'martyr for free speech' or something. Dollah dollah bills, y'all.

Hey there you go! Price will probably climb on eBay. Mine is going to the back of the Mandalorian shelf.
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:56 am

I loved Cara Dune. Unfortunately, I kind of saw this coming.
Grins
Avengers Assemble

Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:12 am

yojoebro82 wrote:
Agreed. The character was great. I loved her design of full body armor and her untethered, ronin-like backstory. I just wish the actor could have been... more attuned to reality.
Falling Downer
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:25 am

Yeah, Cara Dune is definitely going to be an exception to the "Hasbro re-releases everything" rule.
No Archive release for her.

I always struggle with this stuff. Like I purged my movie collection of all my Mel Gibson films (with the exception of Braveheart) after that initial drunk tirade of his years ago. Sometimes I can separate the character from the actor, other times not.

If the price for Cara Dune climbs, it would be a no-brainer to dump her on the secondary market, especially with the mindset that she won't be appearing in any other episodes.
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:06 am

I 100% absolutely positively do not understand why celebrities don't run the most cookie-cutter PR-handled social media profiles possible. Is it stupidity? Egomaniacal tendencies? Narcissism? Just like... thank people for watching your stuff and for being fans, promote your projects and charity, and keep your thoughts to yourself. Everyone wins! Especially you, since you'd have millions more dollars instead of being blacklisted! Just dumb. Star Wars is a money making machine, she could have had figures of herself made up for generations.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:29 am

Well as stated above she kind of martyrd herself for free speech. While free speech is a good thing, that also comes with the consequences. So yea, it'd be smart to not voice certain opinions like that. But maybe she felt like she wouldn't get in trouble. Cause free speech. But uhh, this is 2021. People vilify you from comments from 10 years ago or more. Even if you've changed and honestly repented. For something today? She'd be lucky just to lose some work for that shit. Honestly I was a fan of hers. And while her comments have... I want to say merit? They could've been expressed with less anti semitism. Being a Republican nowadays is kind of hard. But to be fair, you see what alot of republicans do nowadays, it kind of is self implicating. Not all of them are terrible people. But there are more prominent ones that give the rest a bad name. (And fyi, I'm neither Dem or Rep. I endorse whoever's ideas and goals speak to me). But uhh, saying it the way she did was really in poor taste. There are alot better ways to say things like that. Will I get rid of my figure of her? No. I enjoyed her character and think it's a really good figure. It's a bit the same as Jason from MMPR. Austin St. John is or at least was a pos in real life. Thinking he was better then everyone else and lying about killing people in other countries and shit. But I have his action figures. Because I like power rangers and enjoy the figures. And I'm not gonna get rid of the Fast and Furious movie she was in. Or Deadpool. I'll just not lobby for her anymore for anything. They took her out of Star Wars. I'm sure she'll get more work somewhere but she will not be a draw for me anymore. And if shes in something I'm not really interested in, I'll skip it. I watched Haywire just because she was in it. And she did another movie I have on one of my watch lists, don't remember which (cause I have like 6 streaming apps), that I probably won't watch and will delete now. And I'm sure she definitely won't get as much work as she would've before.

Now the question is, will they just replace her in all her projects she was associated with for the future of Star Wars? I mean there have been other actors who replaced bigger roles. Obi Wan, Anakin, Leigh and Tarkin (technically), Boba Fett, Chewie, R2. They were different circumstances certainly but its not unheard of. How many people have been Batman? Superman? James Bond? They could find someone else to take the character. Especially with all the plans they had initially. Or should they just make a new character and give her a similar backstory and just put her in where Cara once was?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Aleks
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:55 am

They can replace her with another actress, whatever her name was Amber Heard or something. I'm sure people won't start canceling their subscription...

Anyway, who knows, maybe in ten years we will learn "something terrible" about the rest of the actors from different movies and half of the collectors will have to sell most of their collection. I usually don't have a hard time separating the art from the artist. I don't really care about Cara Dune character or other Mandalorian cast exept Boba and Fennec. But you need to think twice before you write all kinds of nonsense on Twitter and fight those people. And some people can't think at all...Though I wonder where were all these "warriors" when Ahmed Best and Jake Lloyd were bullied.

Mandalorian was...fine. And I'm sure they can easily continue without her. I am more worried about the quality of their future projects. After sequels, I have no faith in Lucasfilm and one Mandalorian is not enough yet.
Sloth15
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:54 pm

Aleks wrote:I usually don't have a hard time separating the art from the artist.
Same. There are probably very few folks in Hollyweird I would want to hang out with IRL.
I enjoy Tom Cruise's movies for the most part, but doubt I could tolerate being around him for 5 minutes.

I never opened Cara. If the price does go way up, she may well end up on ebay.
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:11 pm

Grins wrote:
yojoebro82 wrote:
Agreed. The character was great. I loved her design of full body armor and her untethered, ronin-like backstory. I just wish the actor could have been... more attuned to reality.
See...I don't even know what you mean by that, because I have no idea what kinds of things she was saying..........because I don't follow celebrities......ANYONE.......on social media. It's really the last thing I would ever want to do. I just want them to make movies and entertain me, which is the job they signed up for. So yes, I have a pretty easy time separating the reality of what any given celebrity personally believes (whether I may agree with them or not), and the action figures on my shelves, because it's those CHARACTERS I care about. It's just a shame, that's all.
aceofknaves
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:15 pm

I really, really tried with her. I tried to look past the weak acting skills. And I *definitely* have no interest in celebrity culture of any kind, so the social media presence of folks like her isn’t something I’d stumble across without cause. I try hard not to invest emotional currency on non-fictional famous people.
But . . . I work in mental health with a focus on trauma and systemic oppression, so unfortunately Carano’s comments and apparent mindset have been on my radar for a while. It’s a real bummer, because I strongly believe in free speech, and particularly for free speech for those (like Carano) with whom I strongly disagree. But some folks really don’t seem to understand that freedom of speech does not directly translate to guaranteed immunity from any possible consequences resulting from that speech. And while I think the way we “do business” in American culture is totally gross and awful, it’s the most predictable thing in the corporate world for some image-conscious money-farm like Disney to ditch an asset they’ve deemed toxic for whatever reason.
Standing up for beliefs has consequences, even if those “beliefs” *aren’t* anti-science screed and false equivalencies wrapped up in antisemitism.

. . . anyway, I’ve got her action figure. I’ll probably keep it, but I’m glad to put Carano behind me as I continue to enjoy The Mandalorian.
Reefer Shark
Avengers Assemble

Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:33 pm

I guess now if you have an opposing opinion, you just have to keep it to yourself. Welcome to 1984.

Also, I dont think this will affect the figure value at all - dont waste your time and money trying to track extras down to sell. The second run of the figure is well into production I'm sure, along with the Vintage series counterpart. Hasbro is going to want to make their money on that plastic, unles cancel culture gets to them too...
la6689
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:35 pm

This whole thing actually makes me glad I haven’t grabbed the Cara Dune figure yet. Now I can stop looking since she won’t be coming back lol.

I kind of saw the writing on the wall when she went all in on Covid and voter fraud. She just can’t stop saying stupid stuff on social media. Disney has a brand to protect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reefer Shark
Avengers Assemble

Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:36 pm

yojoebro82 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:11 pm
Grins wrote:
yojoebro82 wrote:
See...I don't even know what you mean by that, because I have no idea what kinds of things she was saying..........because I don't follow celebrities......ANYONE.......on social media. It's really the last thing I would ever want to do. I just want them to make movies and entertain me, which is the job they signed up for. So yes, I have a pretty easy time separating the reality of what any given celebrity personally believes (whether I may agree with them or not), and the action figures on my shelves, because it's those CHARACTERS I care about. It's just a shame, that's all.
I'm gonna go ahead and echo what you said yojobro82 - I feel the same way, and no interest in hearing what celebrities opinions are. Why mix all that up with the fictional characters they play on screen? I never understood it.

Return to “The Multiplex”