Masters of the Universe: Revelation

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
Bip
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Masters of the Universe: Revelation

Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:16 pm

captaincracker wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:41 pm
Samael13 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:10 pm
Spoiler! :
Adam giving up "Heaven" for his friends. Nobody would make that sacrifice. Making sacrifices in life is one thing, but ruining your eternity to help someone have a better mortal life makes no sense. That's just my take.
I think that this is just a common trope...
Spoiler! :
also, while they *say* he's giving it up, how do they know? They kind of vacillated between "you're *probably* giving this up" and "You'll never come back." I think it's mostly just "here's how much Adam actually cares; he's willing to risk this to make sure they're safe." It also seems like there must be multiple heavens in MoTU? Otherwise, are we to believe that only avatars of Greyskull get an afterlife beyond Scare Glow's awful realm? So maybe it's just that Adam doesn't get to hang out with the people who call him Flea-man when he eventually dies again?
Spoiler! :
I wasn't taking notes, but I think it was implied he could go back to MOTU Heaven, just not Super Extra Special Heaven.
With Teela
Spoiler! :
I just didn't like her. I get Randor acting as he did. He's a spoiled king and Adam was his son. I think of Teela as more of a high ranking respected member of the military, not at all like Thor who is (similar to Randor) spoiled royalty. I think of her as being able to understand that secrets sometimes happen. She can get upset or feel let down, just not say "F" you to her whole life and all her friends/family before running away

In the end, I don't care that much anyway. It doesn't ruin my childhood and the next set of episodes may very well change my mind. While it wasn't exceptional, I enjoyed the show and I'm looking forward to more of it.
I don't really get why people are so put off by this.
Spoiler! :
Teela felt so betrayed because she felt like the three people closest to her in life didn't trust her enough tell her Adam and He-man are the same person when almost everyone else around her knew. Adam was her best friend/love interest, Man at arms was the man that raised her, and He-man was her brother in arms. Hell, even Randor felt like shit not just because he lost his son but also because of the way he treated his son.
Also because of the way it ended I'm going to make a prediction but it might not happen.
Spoiler! :
I think Evil-Lyn is either going to turn on Skeletor and go on her own or join He-man and the others.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:23 pm

Samael13 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:08 pm
Wait, you think Winter Soldier is the *weakest* of the Captain America movies? And you put Black Panther in the bottom 5?
That's... a hot take.
No, the first Captain America was imo the weakest of the 3 Captain America movies. Winter Soldier is probably a top 5 MCU movie for me.

Yes, I put Black Panther down at the bottom. I just didn't like most of the characters. Except Killmonger.
Samael13
is way smarter than you

Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:50 pm

maverick10126 wrote:
Samael13 wrote:
Wait, you think Winter Soldier is the *weakest* of the Captain America movies? And you put Black Panther in the bottom 5?
That's... a hot take.
No, the first Captain America was imo the weakest of the 3 Captain America movies. Winter Soldier is probably a top 5 MCU movie for me.

Yes, I put Black Panther down at the bottom. I just didn't like most of the characters. Except Killmonger.
Ohhhh, yeah. 100% agree on First Avenger, though, for me, it was mostly that I wanted to see more of him beating up Nazis and blowing up tanks and such, and much less of him running around punching paintball enthusiasts with laser guns.

Agree to disagree on BP, though, yes, Killmonger was just extremely well done, for sure.
Mister Skeezler
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:56 pm

Do we need spoiler tags still? It's been a couple weeks and there are only five, 30 minute episodes.

misterskeezler on Instagram

Samael13
is way smarter than you

Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:21 am

We probably don't *need* them, but I usually use them for at least a few months, just in case; it's easy to do and people don't always have the time to binge things right away and might be working through a couple of episodes a week. This released on July 23, so it hasn't even been two full weeks, yet.
Mister Skeezler
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:23 am

Yeah I guess. Just not sure how to do it in Tapatalk.

misterskeezler on Instagram

Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:42 am

Samael13 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:50 pm
maverick10126 wrote:
Samael13 wrote:
That's... a hot take.

Ohhhh, yeah. 100% agree on First Avenger, though, for me, it was mostly that I wanted to see more of him beating up Nazis and blowing up tanks and such, and much less of him running around punching paintball enthusiasts with laser guns.

Agree to disagree on BP, though, yes, Killmonger was just extremely well done, for sure.
My brother in law had a party last weekend and he randomly chose First Avenger just to have on in the living room even though everyone was outside, but I'll be damned if I didn't just sit and watch long chunks of the movie. It didn't hurt that all the food was on a table within view of the TV either, so I kinda perched and drank, ate, and watched. When it was over, I put on Winter Soldier heh.
theflicker
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:06 am

I consider First Avenger one of the best. It has one of the most poignant endings and this is before Endgame capped it off.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Deckard
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:29 am

captaincracker wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:50 pm

I enjoyed the show much more than I expected to, and I don't mind the focus on Teela, but I feel she was really made into an unlikable character.
Spoiler! :
Bad hair aside, she was just kind of a baby. An adult can accept that secrets are kept for a reason. Maybe at the end of episode 5 if she had come to realize this, it would have helped, but she didn't.
Yeah, After reading all of the criticism .
Spoiler! :
It was better than expected. Some of the complaints seem silly, some completely justified. Not a fan of the Techno Zuckerberg Cult. I really liked how Evil Lyn, Scareglow, Orko, Duncan and Adam were presented. Animation was beautiful. Voice acting is almost all great. Would have liked to have seen more of the other masters and villains.

First episode was great until Randor told Teela throw MAA out. Teela became an unlikable petulant child. I assumed it was being laid as groundwork for her to grow but there was no indication of that by the end. She has terrible dialog, unless she does a 180° turn in the back half they failed making her the leader they want to. It's apparent she is being set up to be the new Champion right down to her starting to glow like Adam did (during his transformation) when she got the sword half from scareglow.
SalemCrow
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:48 pm

Deckard wrote:

Spoiler! :
It was better than expected. Some of the complaints seem silly, some completely justified. Not a fan of the Techno Zuckerberg Cult. I really liked how Evil Lyn, Scareglow, Orko, Duncan and Adam were presented. Animation was beautiful. Voice acting is almost all great. Would have liked to have seen more of the other masters and villains.

First episode was great until Randor told Teela throw MAA out. Teela became an unlikable petulant child. I assumed it was being laid as groundwork for her to grow but there was no indication of that by the end. She has terrible dialog, unless she does a 180° turn in the back half they failed making her the leader they want to. It's apparent she is being set up to be the new Champion right down to her starting to glow like Adam did (during his transformation) when she got the sword half from scareglow.
Spoiler! :
She was glowing because she's the Sorceress's daughter, which is something that I'm sure will be revealed in the back half of the season.
She wasn't being "set up" to be She-Ra 2.0 for Masters or any other imagined neutering of men on this show.
SalemCrow
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:53 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:40 pm
Maximoff wrote: Teela is totally justified in her behavior. When you really look at it, she grew up in a fantasy land. Whole life is obey the king, golden palaces, flamboyant costumes, and constant battles treated like sport. It’s freaking Asgard. The rest of the world is almost a different reality. She does away with the pageantry. Her story is basically Thor except she chose to leave. She was at the height of her achievements being promoted to man at arms and they didn’t trust her even though so many people already knew. And she was there side by side with them in every battle clearly showing a closeness to He-man. I’d say forget y’all and leave too. She only came back because they are family to her but at some point you have to say screw all this fake, pompous nonsense and go live your own life.
Completely agree.

I'll add that some people, and I say this without malice, might want to take this as a lesson in how to treat people with trauma. Those that have experienced mental or emotional trauma (or physical trauma, of course) won't always act the way you -think- they should act. That doesn't mean their reaction is -wrong-. Someone doesn't have to -deserve- the right to act a certain way based on their feelings. You don't get to measure their trauma by your standards and decide what their appropriate reaction should be. That's an end-of-episode lesson everyone could stand to take away with them.

Cringer talks Teela down. He doesn't tell her that the way she feels, or the way she reacted to her feelings, was wrong. To go a little further into the characters around her:
Spoiler! :
They even react differently to -her- reactions, without any of them accusing her of being wrong. Cringer never says that anyone was wrong for keeping Adam's secret from Teela. He never admits 'fault' - nor does Orko. But Cringer talks Teela down from continuing along the path of bitterness, by giving her a new way to look at what happened without EVER telling her that she was wrong to -feel- the way she felt, or react the way she did. Duncan flat out begs for her forgiveness, on the contrary of that, which clearly suggests he felt guilty and further -justifies- Teela's reaction.
The only people in the entire equation that don't think it's a big deal and that Teela over-reacted... are some of the viewers.

As for what Adam did being unrealistic, nah:
Spoiler! :
It absolutely is a trope that echoes a feeling going all the way back to antiquity. In the Chanson de Geste about him, Sir Garin (a knight) says: "If I had one foot already in paradise, I would withdraw it to go and fight." Goku does it. Vegeta does it. Other heroes I'm not thinking of at the moment have done it. Or suggested they would do it and in a way that was meant to be taken that they were deadly serious.
If in your absolute heart of hearts a 'hero' of that caliber is -what you are-, then there's not even a question between living forever in luxury and ease, or fighting to make the world even a little bit better. Adam doesn't hesitate. I suspect that the other He-Man are actually going to follow him because he has shamed them and their lack of heroism.
That's what a hero is. That's what a hero does. You don't stop at giving your life for a cause. Adam didn't even know for sure he'd go to 'heaven.' He allowed himself to be destroyed because it was the way to protect people. It would actually be completely absurd and out of character if he decided 'this isn't my problem anymore' and -stayed- in heaven.

Especially since they (via Moss Man) went out of their way to suggest that the non-paradise sort of death isn't really so bad. It's just regular death. Which is exactly what Adam was prepared for the first time anyway.
I agree with this 100%.

It's no wonder we have such issues with treating trauma and depression in the country if people can't even acknowledge and accept the various ways it's presented in entertainment.
Deckard
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:13 pm

SalemCrow wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:48 pm
Deckard wrote:

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :
She was glowing because she's the Sorceress's daughter, which is something that I'm sure will be revealed in the back half of the season.
She wasn't being "set up" to be She-Ra 2.0 for Masters or any other imagined neutering of men on this show.
Did I say anything about neutering of men? No, that's just as reactionary as some of what people are complaining about. It appeared to me as that was the direction they were heading. I don't get why people are being g so defensive.

I don't think the reaction to Teelas behavior is a mental health issue as much as a lack of her maturity when you viewing the bigger picture. Disappointed sure but to dissasociate yourself with everyone you know/family and stay angry for years for something that was clearly designed to protect those same people is childish of her. It's the same idea as witness protection. They would have gone after his friends/family to get to him. Being captain of the guards she should know that. Its poor writing.
captaincracker
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:30 pm

I have over 20 years experience working with people with mental health issues of all kinds. I just don't like how Teela is written, sorry. It's a cartoon, I don't think it's meant to be a statement about mental health in the world today. I'm not jumping on some hate bandwagon either. If it weren't for this thread, I would no nothing about any controversy surrounding the cartoon.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:38 am

"It's a cartoon" is not relevant unless one is suggesting cartoons are a low form of entertainment that can't have any depth in their characters or themes.

I never said Teela is a 'statement about mental health in the world.' I said she's a character that exhibits signs of a person that has experienced trauma. Which she has. It's not the writers trying to 'say something' so much as it's... writing. This is part of Teela's character and informs her behaviour and decisions. Hell, it's pretty clearly spelled out in neon letters in Ep. 4 (although it's clearly part of her character from the beginning to the end.. or ... middle?).
So it's important that one can not particularly -like- Teela, but still understand that she's reacting in a reasonable way for someone that has undergone emotional trauma. Not acknowledging that is the problem I'm specifically talking about. Not whether it does or does not make her more likeable. Some people with trauma can be -very- unlikable, no matter how hard you try to understand what they're going through.

And it's not about trying to 'defend' the show from hate, as much as discussing the elements of the show that people both like and dislike. Just having a conversation. Which is way more fun and interesting and rewarding than 'defending' the show from shit like 'Teela is a lesbian' or whatever.

Deckard wrote: Disappointed sure but to dissasociate yourself with everyone you know/family and stay angry for years for something that was clearly designed to protect those same people is childish of her.
Yeah but that's exactly the kind of language used to dismiss peoples' reactions to trauma. 'Oh, you're just being childish.'
Or 'why can't you understand this was for your own good and you don't have the -right- to act this way.'
Etc etc.
That's why I said this is a good lesson for people in how they should react to people struggling. You don't get to say what the 'correct' way to handle trauma is. And pretending that...
Spoiler! :
finding out everyone important to you in your life, including your adoptive father, have told you a pretty huge lie for years and years, and only finding out because one of your best friends dies in front of you,
ISN'T trauma is actually ridiculous.

SalemCrow wrote: It's no wonder we have such issues with treating trauma and depression in the country if people can't even acknowledge and accept the various ways it's presented in entertainment.
For sure. We're so used to the idea of deciding how people are allowed to process or react to these things that it even breaks into media where people are very comfortable just saying 'Teela is a bitch' solely because they don't -agree with how she handles her feelings-. And that says it all.
Teela is an unpleasant character in some ways. I don't think that's unintentional or bad writing, or whatever.

Return to “The Multiplex”