Masters of the Universe: Revelation

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
FlexionDynamo
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Masters of the Universe: Revelation

Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:45 pm

Im gonna watch it again. MMMMM MOTU
K_Steel
Avengers Assemble

Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:52 pm

To get it back on topic, Kevin Smith previews the next 5 episodes on the official Netflix channel;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTFQAHwGZUI

Ignore the Dislikes kids. Looks like Lena Headey gets a redemption arc.
FlexionDynamo
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:06 pm

The real thing we all need to focus on.
HOW DO I GET THESE?!
Reefer Shark
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:09 pm

OK, so Im 3 & 1/2 epsiodes in, and really enjoying this show more and more. Easy enough to follow the story, but lots of mature elements to it as well. Very nice balance in my opinion.

Im finding that at the moment, I'm really like the Evil Lyn/Beast Man dynamic the most. Im sure that will change as the show progresses since all the characters are portrayed quite well, but her dialog has especially been a lot of fun for me for some reason.
Reefer Shark
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:11 pm

FlexionDynamo wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:06 pm
The real thing we all need to focus on.
HOW DO I GET THESE?!
Heh - that's pretty cool! IDK where you can get those, but you can get these official Skeletor Nikes for the low price of $629!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264771613894?e ... Swq~5e7-69
FlexionDynamo
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:13 pm

I don't NIKE. I'm a PUMA.

I will have to consult the Sorceress.
sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:56 pm

sepster wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:38 pm
Three and a half episodes in and I'm liking it quite a bit. I really dig what they're doing with Evil-Lyn and Beast Man. Love all of the various characters and easter eggs popping up. Really like the animation style.

When does Part 2 come out?
Reefer Shark wrote:
OK, so Im 3 & 1/2 epsiodes in, and really enjoying this show more and more. Easy enough to follow the story, but lots of mature elements to it as well. Very nice balance in my opinion.

Im finding that at the moment, I'm really like the Evil Lyn/Beast Man dynamic the most. Im sure that will change as the show progresses since all the characters are portrayed quite well, but her dialog has especially been a lot of fun for me for some reason.

Reefer Shark
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:02 pm

sepster wrote:
sepster wrote:
Three and a half episodes in and I'm liking it quite a bit. I really dig what they're doing with Evil-Lyn and Beast Man. Love all of the various characters and easter eggs popping up. Really like the animation style.

Reefer Shark wrote:

Holy crap! Jinx, my brother from another mother!
Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:55 am

K_Steel wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:10 pm
Mister Skeezler wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:58 pm
Then why in the world are you even joining this discussion, other than a desire to stir the shit? I mean you must have literally nothing else to do.
Because the discussion of the controversy surrounding this show and it's production (and marketing) is more appealing to me than the show itself.

I'm admittedly more interested in the controversy behind this show's production than the show itself, and that's a more objective perspective than having the rose-tinted fanboy glasses on. I'm not a He-Man/MOTU fan. I've got no love or nostalgia for this property. One does not need to be a fan in order to discuss the controversies behind this show's production.
I had to do a double take when i saw this comment, wtf? of course, you gotta be a MOTU fan to discuss the show. now i even suspect youre not even a true Collector, what weird comment.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:17 am

Reefer Shark wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:02 pm
sepster wrote:
sepster wrote:

Reefer Shark wrote:

Holy crap! Jinx, my brother from another mother!
This friendship is the best thing to come of the quagmire this thread became.
Reefer Shark
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:39 pm

Ru_1977 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:17 am
This friendship is the best thing to come of the quagmire this thread became.
Agreed on that!
K_Steel
Avengers Assemble

Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:50 am

Night Wolf wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:55 am

I had to do a double take when i saw this comment, wtf? of course, you gotta be a MOTU fan to discuss the show. now i even suspect youre not even a true Collector, what weird comment.

Fair enough. I'll concede that this thread, at least, is a place for the fans of the series to discuss it.

True collector? I'm unsure what that means. However, I don't own any MOTU toys. Never did.
Maximoff
no more subnics

Masters of the Universe: Revelation

Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:33 am

2 episodes in and I’m liking it. I actually enjoy that it isn’t following he-man so far and he just propels the plot right now. I like exploring often underdeveloped but main characters like teela. And I don’t mind the buff physique change. She’s a warrior just like her dad and all the other muscle beach man characters. She should have the masters of the universe body. I love the plot creating a reason for a good guy/bad guy team up. Get to know a character like evil Lynn better and beast man fighting along side with them is fantastic. Whole new dynamic. The good guys beating up the bad guys every episode gets old. Orko is thankfully not overly annoying. But honestly I could do without talking cringer. I’d rather him just be a cat and not freakin scooby doo. It’s just too corny for my liking but I know the source material is corny. I’m too young for OG he-man but I enjoyed the 2000 series and all of its updates. I think this series is off to a good start.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:48 pm

Maximoff wrote:But honestly I could do without talking cringer.
Talking Cringer is one of my least favorite things in the entire franchise's history. Naturally, with this being a successor show to Filmation, there was no way we -weren't- going to get talking Cringer, so I don't necessarily consider it a point against the show. But I would absolutely consider it a point against any future shows (at least, any future shows not directly marketed at kids). And any potential movie, as well, better damn well not have it.

Speaking on relics of the Filmation era, I'm also not a huge fan of how much action is solved with laser blasts. The 'laser blast that hurts but doesn't do any noticeable damage to a person' thing is also a holdover from simpler times. If I were making a purely 'for grown ups' He-Man, I'd definitely lean more heavily into the swords and axes part of the action.

Not that this show has no hand-to-hand fighting, of course. I'm not suggesting that.

Ep. 4 spoiler:
Spoiler! :
Huge missed opportunity while fighting zombies that are actually shadow beasts to NOT have Roboto bust out with the axe hand. Instead he just endlessly blasts away with his arm cannon. Like I said.. too much reliance on 'fight with lasers' as the default.

On my second watch, I think I've counted four or five direct references to the 1987 film, which I really love. I caught them the first time, but really enjoyed them even the second time. Doesn't feel like a 'ha, remember this everyone?!' kind of thing where you roll your eyes a bit after the initial pop. They fit the scenes really organically.
I have stumbled on another criticism about Evil-Lyn. Kind of involves the entire arc, so spoilers for the whole show, I guess.
Spoiler! :
While I like Evil-Lyn's maybe-not-really-but-maybe redemption arc through the first five episodes, I think it suffers a lot from having to get to that 'almost a good guy maybe?' place in only five episodes. Like, this show already almost feels like it could have been better if it were like a full 24 episodes or whatever most cartoons are now. Lyn just got to that spot where she's not feeling so 'evil' anymore way too quickly. Even her affection for Orko seems to almost, almost not feel believable because of how quickly it happened. It's not too much of a complaint because they really were working with a deadline for that aspect of the story. So it's less that I blame them and more that I wish there had been a bit more breathing room for that.
Also.. are we all just going to pretend that (whole show spoiler):
Spoiler! :
Orko isn't coming back? I mentioned this before but even without Smith's recent comments, it's super obvious he's coming back to everyone else, right? They straight up pulled a Gandalf/Balrog here. Are we going to get 'Orko the White?' Like.. a super powerful version of Orko? That could be really cool or really stupid, depending on how they do it.
The Gill-Man
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:55 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:48 pm

Also.. are we all just going to pretend that (whole show spoiler):
Spoiler! :
Orko isn't coming back? I mentioned this before but even without Smith's recent comments, it's super obvious he's coming back to everyone else, right? They straight up pulled a Gandalf/Balrog here. Are we going to get 'Orko the White?' Like.. a super powerful version of Orko? That could be really cool or really stupid, depending on how they do it.
Yeah, I thought it was incredibly obvious, even without
Spoiler! :
Orko flat-out quoting Gandalf, the whole thing was pretty well telegraphed to anyone who has ever watched any kind of science fiction or fantasy. Again, all the overblown outrage leads me to wonder if these folks have ever watched a show or read a comic before! Same goes for the "deaths" of Adam/He-Man. The only demise I see definitely sticking, ironically enough, is Roboto (I say "Ironic", since an android would normally be the most obvious character to bring back. He might be "resurrected", but I doubt he'd have his memories or what-not. His death was such a powerful moment, and I don't see the writers undoing this just for the heck of it.

Return to “The Multiplex”