Masters of the Universe: Revelation

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
H-bird
hbwrdlngiv, after secondary mutation
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Masters of the Universe: Revelation

Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:14 am

K_Steel wrote:
Bury your head in the sand all you want, but there is a discernable fan divide, as least based on IMDB (over 11k polled thus far and growing), Youtube (where at the top viewed recent videos on the topic are addressing the Divisiveness of the series), etc.
No dog in this fight as I have no interest in He-Man, but YouTube promoting videos focusing on divisiveness is not proof of anything - it’s literally their business model. Same reason they’ll feed you videos about vaccine “controversies” or all sorts of nonsense fringe stuff, they get more engagement with things that rile people up. I’d also take issue with calling IMDB or any other site like it a poll - polls are rigorously conducted and representative, which those sites most definitely are not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aleks
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:50 am

KnightDamien wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:48 am
It was not a deception, either. It was Kevin Smith trying not to spoil the entire show. What the [email protected]#$ did anyone want him to say?
Spoiler! :
Nothing? Like NOTHING at all? How many times have people leaked different movie scripts on the Internet or created theories like "Captain America will die in the Civil War, I have proof"? How many creators answered them "NO THIS IS A LIE" ? You just had to be silent, that's all. It also doesn't help that he joked about his "death" after. "I killed him twice." Just be quiet and don't say anything ffs

I don't even think the show is the problem. People are just tired. They don't want to see how "John Connor get killed" in the very beginning. And this has happened quite often lately. Most likely some of them just dropped the show after the first episode. Some of them only saw the first trailer and were expecting "He-Man and his friends adventure". That didn't happen. I am more than sure that when you revive something old, something so beloved by many, you shouldn't kill the main character in the first episode. Of course you can, and I think it would have worked like...five years ago. But at this moment people are just tired of this. Not the time, not the place. That's all.

They just needed to split the show into two halves. Devote one to He-Man and the other - as it is now. I think people would be happy if they just spent more time with Adam. And maybe make Teela more likeable person...with a better haircut.
Ibentmyman-thing
Shakespeare of Fwoosh

Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:02 am

WilliamVanGuile wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:58 am
The last few pages...apparently if you dont like the show, you'll be called every name in this graphic.

I had to google "touch grass." I didn't know that was a thing anybody said.
WilliamVanGuile
CROM!

Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:26 am

Aleks wrote:
KnightDamien wrote:
It was not a deception, either. It was Kevin Smith trying not to spoil the entire show. What the [email protected]#$ did anyone want him to say?
Spoiler! :
Nothing? Like NOTHING at all? How many times have people leaked different movie scripts on the Internet or created theories like "Captain America will die in the Civil War, I have proof"? How many creators answered them "NO THIS IS A LIE" ? You just had to be silent, that's all. It also doesn't help that he joked about his "death" after. "I killed him twice." Just be quiet and don't say anything ffs

I don't even think the show is the problem. People are just tired. They don't want to see how "John Connor get killed" in the very beginning. And this has happened quite often lately. Most likely some of them just dropped the show after the first episode. Some of them only saw the first trailer and were expecting "He-Man and his friends adventure". That didn't happen. I am more than sure that when you revive something old, something so beloved by many, you shouldn't kill the main character in the first episode. Of course you can, and I think it would have worked like...five years ago. But at this moment people are just tired of this. Not the time, not the place. That's all.

They just needed to split the show into two halves. Devote one to He-Man and the other - as it is now. I think people would be happy if they just spent more time with the Adam. And maybe make Teela more likeable person...with a better haircut.
This, and that's the main problem, even if they made this the "duncan show" instead of the "teela show" that it is today, fans will still dislike the story. Female lead are not the problem, He-Man minimal appearance in the show (flashback aside), is the real problem.

I still believe that if they made Adam the main focus in the second half and stop destroying his character and made him look like a clumsy incompetent buffoon, more fans might give this series a chance, they're that easy to please. I wouldnt hold my breath, tho, since the show is a wrap and kevin smith being who he is.

Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:33 am

Spoiler! :
Ro-El wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:37 pm
If it does have a spin off, hopefully HeMan will be the main focus on that one. Maybe now that he’d dead and can no longer go back to the land of other heroes, his soul gets to another dimension where there are new threats and allies.
Not dead yet, just stabbed.
WilliamVanGuile wrote:
Aleks wrote:
KnightDamien wrote:
Spoiler! :

They just needed to split the show into two halves. Devote one to He-Man and the other - as it is now. I think people would be happy if they just spent more time with the Adam. And maybe make Teela more likeable person...with a better haircut.
This, and that's the main problem, even if they made this the "duncan show" instead of the "teela show" that it is today, fans will still dislike the story. Female lead are not the problem, He-Man minimal appearance in the show (flashback aside), is the real problem.

I still believe that if they made Adam the main focus in the second half and stop destroying his character and made him look like a clumsy incompetent buffoon, more fans might give this series a chance, they're that easy to please. I wouldnt hold my breath, tho, since the show is a wrap and kevin smith being who he is.

But Adam has a major role in 3 out of 5 episodes, with him also being in flashbacks in the other two. How is that considered minimal appearance? Even better, he's not only relegated to be He-Man all the time, he actually gets a fair bit of development in his lesser form.
Spoiler! :
They literally brought him back from the dead so there would be more of him in the show.
WilliamVanGuile
CROM!

Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:50 pm

with all due respect, shinigami, that maybe enough for you, and i'm glad you and alot of people on this board like the show; but to me, and thousands other fans, aside from episode 1, they're all just cameos .

MARVEL KNIGHT 2099
Such a cute little cheerleader

Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:54 pm

WilliamVanGuile wrote:
I still believe that if they made Adam the main focus in the second half and stop destroying his character and made him look like a clumsy incompetent buffoon, more fans might give this series a chance, they're that easy to please.
Destroying his character?
Spoiler! :
The guy literally chose to sacrifice himself to save the universe, moved onto the afterlife where of all the forms he chose he picked his mortal, weakest form because he never saw himself and He-Man as two different people, trusted those around him more than he ever could and didn't think twice about giving up his chance at eternal paradise to help his friends and his home.

If anything it made Adam's character more endearing and likable. I'd take this over him acting like a clumsy idiot. I honestly fail to see how anyone else would want otherwise having seen how he's been handled so far.
Mister Skeezler
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:58 pm

K_Steel wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:47 am
Me personally, I wasn't even conceived when He-Man was airing, never seen it. And I have no desire to watch this series. I'm just looking at this whole controversy from an objective perspective as an outsider, and this is all probably more intriguing than the show itself.
Then why in the world are you even joining this discussion, other than a desire to stir the shit? I mean you must have literally nothing else to do.
Samael13
is way smarter than you

Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:34 pm

K_Steel wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:47 am
KnightDamien, you're becoming ridiculously defensive of this. It comes across as trying to validate your own opinion as the prevailing one, despite a very Divisive reception to this show online that can't be denied.

Bury your head in the sand all you want, but there is a discernable fan divide, as least based on IMDB (over 11k polled thus far and growing), Youtube (where at the top viewed recent videos on the topic are addressing the Divisiveness of the series), etc...

...Me personally, I wasn't even conceived when He-Man was airing, never seen it. And I have no desire to watch this series. I'm just looking at this whole controversy from an objective perspective as an outsider, and this is all probably more intriguing than the show itself.
Looking at this whole controversy form my self-proclaimed position of objectivity and as the arbiter of All Things Nerdom, it suuuure seems like you're very defensive about tearing down a show that you, by your own admission, haven't seen and don't plan to see. Kind of weird to be this invested in a discussion about a show you've never seen, don't care about, and don't plan to see.
K_Steel
Avengers Assemble

Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:10 pm

H-bird wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:14 am
No dog in this fight as I have no interest in He-Man, but YouTube promoting videos focusing on divisiveness is not proof of anything - it’s literally their business model. Same reason they’ll feed you videos about vaccine “controversies” or all sorts of nonsense fringe stuff, they get more engagement with things that rile people up. I’d also take issue with calling IMDB or any other site like it a poll - polls are rigorously conducted and representative, which those sites most definitely are not.
Semantics. It's an audience ratings sample then. The largest we have for the series thus far, 12K votes and counting. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10826054/ 4.8/10.

And don't underestimate YT and the popularity of such content (looking at the massive view numbers they get). Even a project as huge as "The Last Jedi" had a ton of YT content discussing it's controversy and divisiveness.

Defenders of that film claimed it was just a small, vocal group... however, Disney knew otherwise. So much so that they went out of their way to attempt to 'course correct' that film with TRoS, and ultimately made things worse. Upsetting critics and some fans who liked TLJ, while also not satisfying those who disliked it.

Thank goodness Favreau and The Mandalorian happened. There's an example of a project that has been received well across the general public and fandom.

Mister Skeezler wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:58 pm
Then why in the world are you even joining this discussion, other than a desire to stir the shit? I mean you must have literally nothing else to do.
Because the discussion of the controversy surrounding this show and it's production (and marketing) is more appealing to me than the show itself.

If only Redlettermedia would review this, you'd probably get a similar perspective from them.
Samael13 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:34 pm
Looking at this whole controversy form my self-proclaimed position of objectivity and as the arbiter of All Things Nerdom, it suuuure seems like you're very defensive about tearing down a show that you, by your own admission, haven't seen and don't plan to see. Kind of weird to be this invested in a discussion about a show you've never seen, don't care about, and don't plan to see.
Not personally tearing it down. I'm echoing the criticism of others. There are passionate fans on both sides here, akin to Last Jedi and other very Divisive properties.

I'm admittedly more interested in the controversy behind this show's production than the show itself, and that's a more objective perspective than having the rose-tinted fanboy glasses on. I'm not a He-Man/MOTU fan. I've got no love or nostalgia for this property. One does not need to be a fan in order to discuss the controversies behind this show's production.
Ibentmyman-thing
Shakespeare of Fwoosh

Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:16 pm

what
Ibentmyman-thing
Shakespeare of Fwoosh

Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:22 pm

Moving slightly away from the utter jagged bullshit that is the so-called controversy about this show, I genuinely liked

Spoiler! :
Orko's real name being "Oracle" but he couldn't pronounce it right so Orko stuck. I don't know if I like it enough for it to be "Orko canon" but I liked it for this show.
KvHulk
HULK SMASH!

Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:23 pm

Just watched Revelations. It was fine. Not sure what people are going on about. If you didn't like it. Fine. Move on. If you did, also fine.
They'll be more shows. More movies. More stories. They'll keep changing things. There will always be unhappy blokes. God knows they'll let us know.
It's not as if motu lore was something amazing. The original show was made of an amazing amount of corn. It was entertaining (at the time, to an 8yo) but ultimately laughable & ridiculous. It was to sell toys.
MARVEL KNIGHT 2099
Such a cute little cheerleader

Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:36 pm

Ibentmyman-thing wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:22 pm
Moving slightly away from the utter jagged bullshit that is the so-called controversy about this show, I genuinely liked

Spoiler! :
Orko's real name being "Oracle" but he couldn't pronounce it right so Orko stuck. I don't know if I like it enough for it to be "Orko canon" but I liked it for this show.
I agree. I thought it was a cute detail for someone like him.
Spoiler! :
Orko as a whole I didn't expect to like as much as I did. They did so much to really make the viewer care for him, especially if you only know him as the silly kid sidekick type from past iterations. Stuff like his breakdown over Adam's death, begging Teela to bring him on her journey, his speech to Andra about treasuring the moments and adventures like the one they're on up to his character introspective with Lyn and his sacrifice. It all helped make that final moment more impactful. The acting also really helped, Griffin Newman killed it.
Magnuz
Tyrant

Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:32 pm

So i'm gonna jump in here and share my thoughts.

To preface, i'm not a he-man fan technically. I like the character(s) fine and the little bit i know of them and the lore has sounded interesting and such i've just never actively watched any of the shows, i've seen the live action movie a couple times and i never really collected the toys (my brother had some).

So i have no investment in the property and maybe that makes me more open to changes others might not like. I've been on that end of the spectrum, anyone who's been in the snake eyes movie thread knows that. Still i think i have enough knowledge of the characters to know what is "right" and "wrong" in terms of characters themselves and their representation in some form of media.

After five episodes i can safely say, i liked it fine. I wasn't blown away or in love with the show but it was entertaining. I don't think teela was arrogant (i've seen that comment in here) she just seemed to be a person who's lost things and kind of given up on some aspects of life and has become a bit of a realist and shes the type to hold grudges. Which is nothing horrifyingly bad. The character of teela as a whole was cool to me, and frankly felt more interesting than He-Man who can be a little bland at times lets face it. Teela has emotional issues and some depth, she's not the greatest character ever but i don't see any reason to dislike her much less hate her. This was an adventure story about her trying to fix things left by a battle between he-man and skeletor and it was a cool adventure.

Supporting characters were great, i loved duncan, and roboto, even orko who was a little grating with his voice was good. Evillynn was a great dive into that character having a different perspective, and the friend was the obvious "explain things and introduce characters to" person for the show and she was fine.

I think the drama moments (specifically the big deaths) were well done, and earned. They created real heartfelt moments or tension in the story and drove it along great. The ending i started to expect as it crept up but it was still interesting to see. Its taking a different path than the expected and i liked it. It's not He-Man fixes everything by thwapping it with his sword, it's shit can go wrong and how do we deal with it. This clearly ends with a tease for the future and i highly doubt its the end of adam here, so i feel people are over-reacting with that.

The overall concept of this show is clearly trying to bring more grit and darkness to the story and make the characters more vulnerable and deeper emotionally. Give us real stakes and serious consequences and build a world of magic and technology that has more to it than weirdo character designs. I'd like to see more world building with this show and i could maybe get more into the lore of the characters through this than trying to watch the old filmation show or something. I know those hold a special places in peoples hearts but i don't know if they are for everyone and modernizing the adaptation is not the end of the world.

In the end, honestly my biggest complaint about the whole show was.... the puns. Seriously, after the first episode i was done with puns, and they just kept popping up, less as the series went on but still more than i care for. Felt alot of kevin in that, and while some may garner a chuckle, more took me out of the moment and the show with their tackiness.

Really i was expecting to not like this or see the side of those lambasting this show, but i kinda just feel like its an overreaction. Know it's not He-Man and the masters of the universe, its a show about more than just he-man and maybe thats not what some people like but its definitely not a bad show.

Return to “The Multiplex”