Masters of the Universe: Revelation

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
The Gill-Man
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Masters of the Universe: Revelation

Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:23 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:43 am
The Gill-Man wrote: :lol: I really wish I could somehow high-five you right now!
We have something better. The Internet has given us this:

The Gill-Man wrote: Can you imagine how some of these folks would have reacted if the internet was around when the live action movie hit theaters? "They have Teela wearing too much clothing! That isn't MY Man-At-Arms! Why did they have to include that girl from the Springsteen video? There is such an agenda with this movie!" :lol:
Clearly you don't involve yourself overmuch with the MOTU fanbase, generally, because it's not like people DON'T say this stuff about the movie now, even all these years later. Ask movie-haters why they hate the movie. At least 50% will have answers very much like the above.
Yeah, I've never been involved in any He-Man fandom, outside of the Fwoosh. While I've always loved the property, *my* MOTU was the mini-comics and the DC stuff, as I literally got in at the beginning of the line. By the time the Filmation show hit the airwaves, I was a little older, and felt it was more for younger kids. My initial impression was that the fanbase was 99% (there's that statistic again) Filmation fans, so I never got involved with it. Hearing more and more how toxic and ridiculous it is, I'm glad I stayed away. I've always loved how the Fwoosh is mostly folks who just love toys, and don't get into hyberbolic, whiny manbaby battles. There seems to be an element of that creeping in here, and I hope it is nipped in the bud.

WilliamVanGuile wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:16 am
I just feel sorry for all the he-man fans watching this, they destroyed and obliterate his character, literally in the first episode. I decided to stop at episode 2, it's unwatchable, i used to love alot of kevin smith's work too. This is star wars all over again.
So, did you quit watching Star Wars with Empire Strikes Back? Y'know, when Han got frozen, taken away by Boba Fett...Luke gets his hand cut off and finds out Vader is his father? Because, if you did...there was more to the story after that. Same here. So yeah, in that regard, it's "star wars all over again".
Reefer Shark
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:37 pm

Sometimes it really seems that fandom of all these properties we love are rife with people who are just never happy with what they get.

I watched the first episode last night. While its too early to give a full opinion on the series, I thought the first episode was good. Moved along pretty quickly and kept my attention.

I didnt get any “woke” vibes and everything that transpired worked with the story and didn’t feel out of place. At this point, I would say I like Revelations better than the Filmation stuff, but not quite as much as the 200x stuff. That could definitely change as I get deeper into the show!
Aleks
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:39 pm

Shinigami_PL wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:59 am
What movies or shows do you actually like? Because I've read your reactions in Loki, Wandavision, now here and they've been negative. This is a genuine question, not trying to be mean, judgemental or whatever.
I don't know...something better written? When you have an interesting protagonist. He can be a good person, he can be a bad person, but it is important what the show itself focuses on. Mad Men one of my favorites. Obvious things like Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul. I also like The Haunting of Hill House, The Haunting of Bly Manor and Daredevil. The first thing that came to mind.
Spoiler! :
You see, I liked the first episodes of WandaVision. Until the show turned into Bad vs. Good. We have This "Evil Man Who Wants to Kill Wanda", whose name I can't even remember shooting kids because he's BAD. Wanda, who is obviously the main "villain" of the show, but the show itself treats her as some kind of tragic figure and says that "forget it, everything is fine" (and even Rambeau admitted she would have done the same).

Loki is just...confusing. We have Loki from the first Avengers, who was definitely a villain and behaved the same way in one episode becomes "not so bad afterall". Contrived story, and some retcons that I can't stand even in the comics. Still, I think this is the best MSU show right now. Not as good as "Daredevil" though.
And then we have : Masters of the Universe: Revelation
Spoiler! :
Misleading\false advertising (and yes IT WAS), subverting expectations just for the sake of it (He-Man will be resurrected again?) and unlikable protagonists. I like Teela, but in this show she is an arrogant, selfish person. And the show instead of criticizing her says that "everything is fine, this is how it should be". And I can't immerse myself in the series because of this. All I want to tell her is "GROW UP". Also, the show is trying to hard to be this "adult version of itself", when it is not always necessary.
Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:06 pm

Thanks for the honest answer.
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:40 pm

Reefer Shark wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:37 pm
Sometimes it really seems that fandom of all these properties we love are rife with people who are just never happy with what they get.
Truthfully, both the fans and detractors have done well in embarrassing themselves. This thread is unsightly for the amount of ad hominem drawn up over a cartoon. Some of you guys look like idiots.
KarlSpace
Super Poseable

Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:58 pm

Enjoyed it! Pretty interested to see where they take it in the second half of the show. Won't go into spoilers, but I really enjoyed seeing a different take on the story and mythos.

This felt like an interesting way to mature the He-Man story, as well as pushing the mythos into an interesting place. It's also an interesting exploration of PTSD, grief, family, trust, which I don't see many people talking about.
Roufuss
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:41 am

Loved it, but yea, 5 episodes is way too short.

I would have loved like 12 or 13 episodes pre time skip to establish the characters and really get people invested, then another 12 or 13 post time skip.

I wanted to actually spend MORE time in the post time skip world and see how other characters they didn’t show were affected.
Ibentmyman-thing
Shakespeare of Fwoosh

Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:14 am

I liked it. I didn't love it, but I liked it. It did some things I didn't care for (none of which have anything to do with the twitter/youtube/internet buzzword bullshit) but on the other hand it had some excellent character beats. There were a lot of areas it could have been "cooler" for want of a better word and some places where it didn't live up to its potential. Or the potential of the MotU concept, I should say. But I liked it.
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:09 am

Watched the first two episodes for now while my kids were asleep. I liked the tone of the first episode for the most part. The attack on Castle Grayskull was fun. I really liked Skeletor and the portrayal of his magical abilities.

But so far, it feels a bit more violent than I was hoping. And not in the silly and fun action kind of fighting that I love which would work well with the over the top character designs that Masters of the Universe is known for.

I’m not a fan of seeing these characters die. Some of the deaths:
Spoiler! :
Mossman getting incinerated! Trap-Jaw implied to have his head sliced in half. Yikes! There go two of my favorite side characters since I was a kid. Disturbing. And the little girl turning into a death cyborg? Did Blast Attack end up killing Whiplash?
And the spoilers I have seen are that there’s more death coming. And it sounds like some of my other favorite side characters might not make it either.

It’s a bummer. Because I was hoping for a fun action story that might highlight Teela to show my daughters. I was all-in on that aspect.

I guess 200X was more what I had in mind in terms of light-hearted action, but I hoped to see all the background characters, like the villains get more to do and be less incompetent than in previous shows.

Would have been cool to see a show in which each episode showcased a different hero and villain so they each get a chance to shine rather than be relegated to background characters or incompetent minions forever. Like it was exciting to see Fisto and Clam Champ briefly during the Castle Greyskull battle. Would be cool for characters like them to get more of a chance to shine.

I want to watch the rest of the show as soon as I can. Just might need to wait for my kids to be asleep instead of sharing it with them as I had hoped to do. Unless the tone changes in future episodes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheFallen
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:29 am

I just binged all 5 episodes and I quite enjoyed it.

Since COVID hit I have really made a conscious effort to avoid drama and “politics” so I keep off of most social media for the most part so I didn’t really see a lot of the early backlash regarding this show until reading his thread.

It’s funny how this is a bit similar to a fan-fic I was writing back during when I was heavily invested in MOTUC where He-Man and Skeletor were both killed and Demo-Man forged with the Spirit of Grayskull to become De-Mon :lol:

It was great seeing the “Villain of the week” cameos for the evil warriors especially Scare Glow but I wish it was longer than 5 episodes.

I will say straight up that I didn’t like Teela. I can see her being bitter and angry due to the feelings of betrayal but she felt really selfish and self centred for the majority of the show. To be honest she kinda felt more villainous than Evil-Lyn. I was rooting more for the collective that I was rooting for Teela. And as KnightDamien already mentioned, her staff was way too overpowered and convenient. It reminded me of She-Ra’s sword being able to turn in to anything at a whim.

King Grayskull was a bit of a shock for me as I wasn’t expecting it but I think this could very well be a great change going forward. I just hope Andra isn’t a distant relation to him. I kinda hope she will be related to Dekker.

I haven’t collected any MOTU figures for a while but the show has me a little bit interested in the new figures. I’ll wait and see if I can get my favourite figures (and hoping for a regular release Scare Glow) but I am eager for part 2 of this show.
Boy Wonder
Attempting to Avoid the Void

Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:27 am

Watched the first episode yesterday and only thought it was OK, but ended up watching the rest all in a row tonight because I liked episode 2 so much. Liked the show more than I expected to. Love all the references and cameos. Really like what they did with Tri Klops and hope that story gets explored.
Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:42 am

gonna watch this next week when i connect netflix again, been busy with my new medical job, i changed careers.
ive heard alot of people complaining about it being about teela instead of he man. maybe it will change in the next episode or season?
KarlSpace
Super Poseable

Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:30 am

So Smith had a podcast this evening with Griffin Newman who voices Orko (and killed it, as we all know). He has a bunch to say about where things are going. I won't spoil it (you can find it on Youtube, Fatman on Batman), but prepare for more he-man in the back half of the show, which should be out by the end of the year. And we're likely to get a season two.
Nebraska
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:40 pm

I hope we see a season featuring the flashbacks. Those character designs were killer.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:28 pm

Nebraska wrote: I hope we see a season featuring the flashbacks. Those character designs were killer.
I'm just gonna say it - I like the overall tone and design so much that I kind of hope Netflix decides to go back and basically 'remake' the entire original show.
I think a lot of this show's detractors would like it a lot more as well, since obviously they wouldn't be able to do anything too dramatic because the current show basically follows how Filmation ended (i.e. no major changes to the status quo).
I will watch He-Man cartoons forever, I tell you. I don't know why. I never get tired of this space barbarian nonsense.

KarlSpace wrote: So Smith had a podcast this evening with Griffin Newman who voices Orko (and killed it, as we all know). He has a bunch to say about where things are going. I won't spoil it (you can find it on Youtube, Fatman on Batman), but prepare for more he-man in the back half of the show, which should be out by the end of the year. And we're likely to get a season two.
I'm excited to check this out but.. Jimmy Jumping Christ that video is 2-1/2 hours long!
Hearing 'more He-Man in the second half' is basically so obvious he didn't need to say it. It actually kind of amazes me how many people who have consumed entertainment for their entire lives can come at this with such a bare-bones, surface-level understanding of what's going on.

Night Wolf wrote: ive heard alot of people complaining about it being about teela instead of he man. maybe it will change in the next episode or season?
We follow Aragorn around a lot in Lord of the Rings, but Lord of the Rings is not 'about' Aragorn.
Teela is an important character for this part 1 because the audience needs to follow her around for a good chunk. But it's definitely not 'about' Teela. It's 'about' something entirely different. As I said above - it blows my mind that people can't understand the difference. But I think a lot of those complaining don't -want- to see the difference.

TheFallen wrote: I will say straight up that I didn’t like Teela. I can see her being bitter and angry due to the feelings of betrayal but she felt really selfish and self centred for the majority of the show.
I don't think, if I'm being fair, that we're really supposed to be fully on her side. No way Kevin Smith thought a bunch of die-hard He-Man fans were suddenly going to be waving the Teela flag. I think we're supposed to be a bit off-put by her. That's why Andra is there. Without Andra (the real audience insert of this show), Teela wouldn't even have done what needed to be done to get the show going. We're supposed to root for Andra. She's the person staring in wonder at the magic of this world and she wants to save it, no matter what. She wants a great adventure. She's US.
That being said, there's also a point to be made about people handling grief and feelings of betrayal (and inadequacy, as we learn) differently. There's a lesson to be learned that just because Teela isn't handling her grief in a way that's sensible to you or me, doesn't mean she's not handling it 'right.' Important real world lesson there. Because MOTU is all about them sweet lessons.
TheFallen wrote: King Grayskull was a bit of a shock for me as I wasn’t expecting it but I think this could very well be a great change going forward. I just hope Andra isn’t a distant relation to him. I kinda hope she will be related to Dekker.
I hope none of them are related and we see more people of color in the show just existing without being connected. Although I do hope we see Dekker. That'd be the balls.

Akatsuki wrote: I’m not a fan of seeing these characters die. Some of the deaths:
Keep watching. Or spoilers below.
Spoiler! :
Trap-Jaw isn't dead. He just got a cool chink in his helmet. And Moss Man is 'dead' but really.. he's an immortal nature spirit that just gets to exist as an entire forest in heaven so it's not a -real- (impactful) death in the long run. I don't think we get confirmation that Whiplash is dead. I'd put it down like Trap-Jaw as 'don't assume they're dead if you don't actually see the body.' So.. maybe. Maybe not. I hope not since he's one of my favs.
Akatsuki wrote: I want to watch the rest of the show as soon as I can. Just might need to wait for my kids to be asleep instead of sharing it with them as I had hoped to do. Unless the tone changes in future episodes?
Obviously it depends on your own parenting style, but I don't see why your kids can't watch it. My 7-year-old watched the entire thing with me. No breaks. He was riveted to his seat the entire time. And he loved it. It's not like the show is overly violent or gory. But again, that's totally a personal call and I'm absolutely not telling you how to parent your kids.

Return to “The Multiplex”