Masters of the Universe: Revelation

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Re: Masters of the Universe: Revelation

Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:17 am

If this show has a lot about Teela, that’s probably even better for me. I’ve got two daughters who I think will enjoy having a strong female character to watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:50 pm

Curious:
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:22 pm

Kevin Smith talking about the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpsmEcGmUBQ

Sounds so goddamn good.
Mr potatohead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:46 pm

Teela is not the focus of the show. Smith flatly says, He-Man is the star.
MARVEL KNIGHT 2099
Such a cute little cheerleader

Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:41 pm

I've seen so many videos on YT saying that Revelation's trailer is bait because of the supposed Teela focus and that the show's "gonna be woke" and that Smith is a liar and I can't help but give my head an annoyed shake at how childish some people can be.

The most blunt thing you can say is that this is called "Masters of The Universe". Not "He-Man & The Masters of The Universe". You have so many memorable characters in this world. God forbid someone tries to make the story focus on more than just He-Man himself and actually gives more narrative and developmental focus to characters like Teela, Man At Arms, Sorceress, Evil-Lyn, etc.
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:49 pm

I think the first half will probably see negative buzz from The Fandom Menace, and limited He-Man. It makes sense if there’s some battle/time jump where He-Man is MIA for a chunk of the story, that other characters have to fill that void.

I’ll admit, I think they should be able to tell stories without He-Man (at all or as the lead), but if it becomes MOTU without He-Man, that’s going to feel off. But branding or not, MOTU is He-Man’s show. I don’t think you’re setting yourself up for success if you’re taking a nostalgia-dependent property and minimizing the one of the two most known characters.

And to reiterate, I’m not knee-jerk hating this. I’m very excited.
Mr potatohead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:50 pm

Mr potatohead wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:46 pm
Teela is not the focus of the show. Smith flatly says He-Man is the star.
KnightDamien

Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:58 pm

september_death wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:49 pm

I’ll admit, I think they should be able to tell stories without He-Man (at all or as the lead), but if it becomes MOTU without He-Man, that’s going to feel off. But branding or not, MOTU is He-Man’s show. I don’t think you’re setting yourself up for success if you’re taking a nostalgia-dependent property and minimizing the one of the two most known characters.
Absolutely. And it's also incredibly important for people to keep in mind that Teela (or any other MOTU character) getting a much larger role doesn't mean He-Man suddenly isn't the main character or won't be featured. I don't know why people think it should have to be all He-Man or NO He-Man.
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:00 pm

Frankly, He-Man got rescued quite a few times in the original series, so having an arc where Teela needs to come in and do something for him doesn't seem so outlandish given the material. The whole idea of Masters is that you have a bunch of people that, while not as strong as He-Man, can find solutions and fix problems just like him. Furthermore, part of Teela's whole schtick is stepping up to the plate because Adam is so buffoonish and aloof, so it's written into her character DNA to go out there and solve problems. What do you expect her to do in a dramatic situation, take a nap or something?

But I will say that He-Man going dormant somehow and Teela coming in as the swerve main character for the majority of the show with He-Man only emerging at the end a la Captain Planet will be bullshit. I hope they don't go that route. And I'm saying this as a heavily liberal type of person, mind you. She-Ra needs to be the main character in her show, because it's important to empower young girls. Well... same with He-Man and his impact on young boys. They're children with limited life experience, they don't need to see trope deconstruction because they're not a bunch of smark adults that need updated world view nostalgia wombs to comfort them. They need to feel like they have an all powerful avatar designed for their growing minds and egos. God knows all children will really need one, with the crushing aspects of late stage capitalism staring them down.

Brass tacks, I trust that they'll find a good balance for Teela and not go overboard. And while "overboard" might seem arbitrary, it should be self evident what I mean.
KnightDamien

Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:21 am

jimbles wrote: Frankly, He-Man got rescued quite a few times in the original series, so having an arc where Teela needs to come in and do something for him doesn't seem so outlandish given the material. The whole idea of Masters is that you have a bunch of people that, while not as strong as He-Man, can find solutions and fix problems just like him. Furthermore, part of Teela's whole schtick is stepping up to the plate because Adam is so buffoonish and aloof, so it's written into her character DNA to go out there and solve problems. What do you expect her to do in a dramatic situation, take a nap or something?
It's worth mentioning that Teela's Quest, from the original Filmation show that this is a spiritual (at least) successor show to, remains one of the more popular and well-regarded episodes. I could easily see Kevin Smith and Co. being inspired specifically by that episode to do something like it here, at least for several episodes. And what little we know does sound.. familiar.
jimbles wrote: Brass tacks, I trust that they'll find a good balance for Teela and not go overboard. And while "overboard" might seem arbitrary, it should be self evident what I mean.
I don't disagree. I -want- He-Man to be the main character of a He-Man cartoon. I'm just open to seeing what they do before getting upset about it. Unlike a particular segment of the 'fans.'
But I also am not worried about what children need from this. While it's animation and no doubt kid-friendly, it's definitely, definitely, definitely targeted straight at guys over 35. Kids will have their He-Man cartoon later on where, no doubt, He-Man will absolutely be the focal character in probably almost every episode.

That being said, I can't imagine Kevin Smith, a fan of He-Man, and other people involved in this show that are also MOTU fans, would sideline the brand's main character for an entire (or even most of a) show.
Thevision57
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:57 am

KnightDamien wrote:
That being said, I can't imagine Kevin Smith, a fan of He-Man,
Kevin smith was definitely not a fan of He-Man. I listened to his podcast network for a long time and anytime the masters of the universe property was brought up he was dismissive and stated how he never had an affinity for the franchise. Hopefully after being given the opportunity to do the show he has gained an appreciation for it and this turns out good. Also I have zero problem with the series shifting focus off He-Man a bit. One of the most frustrating things about this franchise was always having so many sick characters and only a handful getting any attention outside of the toy line.
JTMarsh
CROM!

Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:25 am

I saw the trailer and thought it looked great. The 2000's series wasn't awful but this version (at least in the trailer) looks more faithful to the original series and makes a point to add in stuff from the toy series that never appeared in the show. I think most people who watch the show, if they end up mad, will be mad about the bait and switch aspect of how the show was sold to them. Increasingly it's looking like He-Man will be in the first episode(s) and then it will switch to Teela and others running the show without him, either assuming the role in a He-Man sense or largely showing that anyone can be He-Man and that it doesn't have to be Prince Adam etc. I think people have less of a problem when creators are straight-up with their intentions and designs on a property, as many have said Smith was originally touting it as a Teela-based series and when the modern Sheera series launched there was also talk about doing another He-Man series without He-Man as the lead. Somewhere along the way that changed to "we're giving the fans what they want and I, Kevin Smith, am a huge fan and your beloved property is in safe hands." Then, with as terrific as the trailer looked, many are assuming the latter to be the operating model going forward. IF, as I can't say for certain, the series ends up being what many are claiming it is, I can understand the annoyed/angry response. Overall I intend to watch the first episode and take it from there. If it turns into trashing the series and discarding He-Man I'll simply stop watching. If it's a scenario where the side characters have to hold down the fort or save He-Man while he's trapped in another dimension or something, then that's a different scenario.
Ro-El
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:25 am

The funny thing is I think I would be more accepting of the rumored premise had it been done in the second season. The whole advertisement of it being 40 years and a return only for He-Man to be possibly swapped out for most of the season in some way just leaves me with bad vibes. I haven’t really watched He-man since the 80s. Never really watched the 2000 series. So I want to see He-Man be prominent in this new series. And again I must reiterate that other characters like Teela, Orko, Fisto, etc. should be showcased and developed and even have dedicated story arcs if possible. And that can definitely be done without sidelining He-Man if the rumors are actually as bad as they say it is.

I feel like the first season should be events leading to the disappearance or whatever of He-Man and end in a cliffhanger. In this season other main characters are developed of course. Second season HeMan is gone or gets less screen time, and Teela takes over in search of HeMan and saving Eternia. Third season it will take the return of He-Man and the aid of Teela with all their allies to deal with the final threat.

But whatever they decide, I’ll still give it a chance and watch it as I am curious what this MOTU version will be like. Just don’t suck, just don’t suck. Please…..really…..just don’t suck.
scribb
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:16 am

Thevision57 wrote:
KnightDamien wrote:
That being said, I can't imagine Kevin Smith, a fan of He-Man,
Kevin smith was definitely not a fan of He-Man. I listened to his podcast network for a long time and anytime the masters of the universe property was brought up he was dismissive and stated how he never had an affinity for the franchise. Hopefully after being given the opportunity to do the show he has gained an appreciation for it and this turns out good. Also I have zero problem with the series shifting focus off He-Man a bit. One of the most frustrating things about this franchise was always having so many sick characters and only a handful getting any attention outside of the toy line.
He was never a fan of the 80s toy properties. He was just that bit too old.
Nebraska
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:17 pm

I think a lot of people on the internet are angry about something they have yet to see.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Return to “The Multiplex”