Best Animated Superhero Shows

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Best Animated Superhero Shows

Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:51 am

Resurrecting this thread as I just finished Spectacular Spider-Man for the first time. I think it's pretty easily the best animated Spider-Man show out there. Shame it was canceled for Ultimate Spider-Man.

I also started Batman: The Animated Series for the first time since childhood. I found the two-part intro episode to be pretty slow. That wasn't hugely surprising to me, as I thought Matt Reeves' Batman movie reminded me more of BTAS than anything. Still, BTAS is probably more responsible for my unhealthy love for superheroes than anything, so I'm not going to force myself to finish it if I'm not feeling it right now. I absolutely revere that series and don't want to sully that.

I skipped ahead to Justice League, instead, which I largely missed as a kid. It's pretty killer, honestly. I'm surprised at how well it's held up.
Mr potatohead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:49 pm

Spectacular Spider-Man is my friends favorite superhero cartoon. He was trying to get me to start it for like a year and I finally did, but then got overwhelmed with other shows. I need to get back to it.

So not really a superhero show (though they do have super-heroics :wink: ), but nostalgia also seems to come into play in this thread a bit so I'm going to bring up Robotech. This was my favorite anime of the 70-80s so I bought the 1st 2 seasons hoping I'd still like it. I was relieved the 1st season is still excellent. So happy with that show other than the same 2 songs being sung again and again and again... Still a favorite.

The 2nd season I had no memories of and after watching I can see it was either because these episodes never aired or I wiped what little I would have watched from my mind. God-awful. Possibly the worst anime I've ever seen as it stands. I know the Americanization of it plays heavily into it, as well as being shoehorned (to put it lightly) into being part of the same universe as Macross; but something tells me I would hate the Japanese version only slightly less. I was going to buy the 3rd "season" before seeing the 2nd, but now I think I'll just save my money. Which brings me to my next point...

Has anybody seen the Japanese continuation of Super Dimension Fortress Macross (the 1st season)? I want to see the direction the series went.
DetectiveHoag
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:13 pm

Saw mention of The Tick, and had to plug that one too. It was a very entertaining series, that didn’t take itself overly serious (much like the comic).

This won’t surprise anyone who’s paid attention to my tastes, but I’m going to mention the Ultraforce animated series. I’ll admit that I’m a bit biased but I thought it was a pretty decent adaptation of the Ultraverse.

I’ll give shout outs to the original Space Ghost series, Gargoyles, Exo-Squad (not exactly super-hero, I know), Blue Falcon and Dyno-mutt, Darkwing Duck, (“Let’s get Dangerous!”) and dare I say… Hong Kong Phooey (“Number One Super-Guy!”)
Lantu
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:01 pm

Honestly for me, most of the Spider-Man shows have been pretty good or even awesome (well, minus the 2017 one, but i still enjoyed it)

If I had to pick one that wasn't Marvel or DC, I would pick Ben 10.
Popoman
CROM?

Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:28 pm

Justice League Unlimited is at the top for me. Everything else in the DCAU is great too, they really made something special with that.

Can't think of anything else that really comes close.
Bip
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:57 am

There are way too many to list and since most of the Marvel and DC shows have been mentioned I'll just throw in Young Justice, Green Lantern TAS, The Silver Surfer, and Ultra Force.

Outside of the those two companies I would say Freakazoid, Spawn, The Maxx, 2012 TMNT, My Hero Academia, and Invincible.

I barely remember WildC.A.T.S and Savage Dragon. I guess they weren't really of note to me.

I'm also going to throw out Dexter's Laboratory because of the Monkey and Justice Friends segments.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:32 pm

Yet again, everyone forgets Symbionic Titan existed. Why in the hell isn't this on HBOMax with the rest of Genndy's stuff?
Lex Dysic
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:05 am

I really enjoyed Batman Beyond.

Would you consider Avatar- The Last Airbender a superhero? That is a really good series.

Return to “The Multiplex”