Justice League Snyder Cut

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Justice League Snyder Cut

Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:05 pm

How much stuff that doesn't matter adds up to this simply not being the Justice League?

And no, director interviews are *not* canon. They're just apologies for making poor creative choices.
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:59 pm

Magnuz wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:22 pm
The armor is there to protect him from friction but also to stay intact during his speed, if you see his shoes rip off when he starts to run conveying that at some speeds he just obliterates his clothing. This has been done before, it was the main reasoning for him getting a costume in both tv shows.
How did this Barry Allen afford that suit though? And all that tech in his "Flash-Cave"? He's applying to be a pet-store clerk to put himself through junior college but he has super-hero lair set up worth millions.? I really felt like that needed some explaining.

At least in the TV show we know Star Labs makes him his costume and has the tech set up already to perform their cutting edge science. In ZSJL the Flash doesn't appear to have those connections established, but does seem to have all the stuff. I would have appreciated much more if the movie had used some time to set explain Barry's situation better rather than the pet store/car accident scene with the slow motion hot dog gag.
MARVEL KNIGHT 2099
Such a cute little cheerleader

Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:02 am

Honestly while I agree that a quick explanation of where Flash got his stuff in his little watchtower warehouse would have been fine, a line or two tops, I never really questioned it much. I guess cause I chalked it up to him being active with his powers for a while and it was a combination of stuff he was able to gather over a significant period of time plus his own smarts. Like there was enough sort of established by his visit with his dad to be like "Alright, I assume he didn't just get this all at once and used what talents he did have to build up to this point".

I'll let that pass a bit more here than in 2017 where we both had no explanation and he was acting like he wasn't some superhero when clearly he was living like one, which made that fact even more jarring imo.
Magnuz
Tyrant

Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:45 am

I think its clear that Barry is intended to be very smart and has cobbled together stuff in a dank warehouse that he may or may not be squatting in. Considering he's using a heavy main electrical cut off to turn on a bunch of random screens and equipment that look jerry rigged at best id say he's built everything over time and with things he's either found or "borrowed" maybe. It's stuff rhey can establish in a solo film and yes this film lacks some of that but there's only so much they could do. It's the flaw of wb wanting to run straight for team up instead of establishing solo characters.

I'm not saying the film is perfect ir still has alot of flaws and is over indulgent on stuff(the last nightmare sequence while having a cool interaction between joker and batman, is entirely unnecessary in the full film) and still has issues that will persist due to how it came to be without establishing many characters on their own.

While I could list the big problems and there's plenty, I think nitpicking about Barry's hair and lightning color and where he gets his clothes is pointless and are nothing different than average film adaptation changes in any comic movie.
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:51 am

I think of this Flash as a Impulse who got invited to the big leagues and it solves any of my problems.

Thwipp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SuperSoldier
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:09 am

I watched it.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:36 pm

Is anyone else getting tired of the #restorethesnyderverse spamming the comments on IG and other places?

Like I get it, there are some fans of Snyder's take on the DC stories. I admit I enjoyed this movie the most out of his three movies. But face reality people, Zach Snyder's planned sequels and overall plans for the DCEU just aren't going to happen at this point. WB has pivoted to something else.

Let's also remember how we got here. MoS received an okay reception. Batman v Superman didn't do well at all. It made money, sure but not money you'd hope from the freaking Trinity in a movie together! Sure there was the studio cutting it down to make it manageable, but the extended version isn't so amazing that it would have solved all the problems.

Whedon's JL wasn't good, but they got there because they panicked. Snyder's DC movies weren't performing like they hoped and they were trying to cut their losses and fix the story the best they could while maximizing number of showtimes per day.

#restorethesnydercut and #restorethesnyderverse are two entirely separate things. The Snyder cut was almost entirely filmed at least whereas Snyder sequels would require filming all new stuff and getting actors back who don't want to do it anymore. Restoring a directors original version has precedent.....brining a director back to continue his story that hasn't performed well at the box office....that doesn't happen.
Junkpile
one man's trash...

Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:14 am

maverick10126 wrote:
Is anyone else getting tired of the #restorethesnyderverse spamming the comments on IG and other places?
Yes, but I think it's not going away.
People are convinced they moved a mountain and got a studio to knuckle-under. Why would they stop now?
Of course it makes no sense and there are probably too many obstacles, but they're gonna shoot their shot because (in some small way) they've been vindicated.
Prodigy
DC biased....but still allowed entry

Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:53 pm

I enjoyed the [email protected]#$ out of this film. I have no idea what the execs were thinking with the theatrical release. This wasn't some perfect film, but damn it felt good to see these characters fleshed out and actually understand their different motivations. Was also great seeing Batfleck again and not whatever it was that whedon turned him into.

Were there questions unanswered or things I'd do differently? Of course, but I'm not going to pretend almost every single other superhero films makes decisions or changes to characters that I don't really dig. It's just the way hollywood is. This was a home run film for me, and yeah I wanna see more of this universe.
KEWOOSKI
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:47 pm

Yeah I enjoyed it too. I watched it a second time yesterday, only fast forwarding thru one scene on the second viewing.
Spoiler! :
the resurrection scene
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:02 pm

Junkpile wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:14 am
maverick10126 wrote:
Yes, but I think it's not going away.
People are convinced they moved a mountain and got a studio to knuckle-under. Why would they stop now?
Of course it makes no sense and there are probably too many obstacles, but they're gonna shoot their shot because (in some small way) they've been vindicated.
The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
fac
Avengers Assemble

Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:53 pm

I could see it continuing in animated form, but not live action with the current cast.
Magnuz
Tyrant

Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:54 pm

Its why there were many that questioned the decision to release the snyder cut because it meant that WB/HBO was giving into demands of the "mob" or whatever. This in turn means they feel they can do the same again or with other things and obviously the concern is it will lead to things being done that should have never been done etc.

I really enjoyed this version of the film and i think its great and much better than the theatrical. As much as i'd like to see more of this universe, i'm not however sold on snyders possible ideas (i.e. batman dying to save lois, lois and supermans son growing up to be the new batman etc) so i dunno if i need his sequels if they are just gonna be his unabashed unfiltered work. He does good work but he shouldn't be left to run wild because he still makes some poor decisions.

Like i said before i don't necessarily need JL 2 and 3, i'd much rather see affleck's batman vs deathstroke film or as a tv show etc, and man of steel 2, etc.
sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:12 pm

The last hour of this film was very enjoyable and it did make me sad that we won't see the continuation of this universe.

I'm also quite sad that Affleck wont be in this role much longer (if at all, depending what happens with Flash). I really love his suit, his characterization and the way he moves, it's just so comic book perfect.

The first 3 hours was the same over-Snydered-slow-mo, nonsensical story telling that BvsS suffered from and if it wasn't for knowing these characters from the comic books, there's no in-movie reason to care for them or have any belief that they'll work as a team. But, that's just Snyder and WB trying to rush this together rather than do a proper universe build.

At the end of the day, I'm happy this version was released and that I was able to watch it.
Andron X
I come from the land up over

Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:31 pm

I'm not really a fan of Snyders work. Didn't love Man of Steel or Batman V Superman. I really dislike his Watchmen movie.
But I thought this was great. I rewatched MOS and BVS in prep for this, and even found myself enjoying them more than before, with the things that bothered me, just bothering me less. This movie just brought it all home, and I'm sold on the Snyderverse.

I don't mind how drawn-out scenes were. It was uncompromised and breathed. I can binge 4 hours of TV (Not proud of it), I can sit through this. Break it up if I have to.

Flash was epic. I'm finally sold on Ezra Flash, and his weird run.

Ray Fischer did a great job as Cyborg. shame he was cut so much.

I love Steppenwolfs design. He looks very cool, especially in the Amazon scene. He glistens! I have to disagree with those saying he needed colour. He looked badass and majestic. His added character and puppydog eyes were fantastic too. Funny how he was the weakest part of Joss's version.

And most of Whedons Batman lines were just out of character.

That said, I don't HATE the Whedon cut. It's definitely the lesser film by far, and the existence of this one makes that one even worse. But I see where he was going in trying to lighten the film. His added Superman scenes were more traditional Superman than anything Snyder delivered- a more optimistic and personable character. But he was trying to mash a completely different tone that just doesn't fit with what's established. I actually want to go back and rewatch his version later because the differences are fascinating. Been watching some of the scene comparison videos on Youtube, and they just cut this thing to Ribbons and removed its soul.

But the Martian Manhunter scenes were terrible. I don't even think MM looked very good, and on top of how dumb and pointless his inclusion was. just raises more questions about what the hell he's doing.

Return to “The Multiplex”