The Batman

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: The Batman

Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:54 pm

I've heard that....and of course there's Doomcock claiming all sorts of things that don't really make sense. In his video he mentioned how long the movie has been delayed as a problem sign...um yeah...I wonder why the movie was delayed shooting early last year....hmmmm.

He was also making some claims that because of the super long shooting schedule (it's not that long, the production literally paused) that the budget has somehow ballooned to 400mil and could go higher.

He seems to be making a big deal over potential reshoots....which are super common in movies in general.

Now, just the general talk of execs not being happy with the movie. I can see that. But I'd like to think Matt Reeves has enough clout that he was able to push back and get them to back down. They hired him to do this job. They were plenty happy earlier with talks of potential sequels and a spinoff series on HBO max. There was a lot of back patting and congratulations back when the Trailer dropped.
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:42 pm

maverick10126 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:54 pm

He seems to be making a big deal over potential reshoots....which are super common in movies in general.

I can't remember the last time I DIDN'T hear news of reshoots in ANY movie from this genre. It's commonplace. But click baiters will spin anything to ratchet up drama and speculation, that's why I don't pay attention to them.
Andron X
I come from the land up over

Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:34 pm

When it comes to Execs not liking the way a movie is turning out- sometimes they're right, sometimes they're wrong.
But in WB's case, I have more faith in Matt Reeves. Their track record with mucking up these DC films and the directors vision is appalling, and the films have usually been worse for it.

I love everything about this film so far. I really hope they don't ruin what Reeves is trying to do. If it fails, let it fail on his terms, and not as some soulless mish-mash of conflicting ideas, like Suicide Squad or Justice League.
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:22 pm

Andron X wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:34 pm

But in WB's case, I have more faith in Matt Reeves. Their track record with mucking up these DC films and the directors vision is appalling, and the films have usually been worse for it.

I love everything about this film so far. I really hope they don't ruin what Reeves is trying to do. If it fails, let it fail on his terms, and not as some soulless mish-mash of conflicting ideas, like Suicide Squad or Justice League.
Yes, exactly this.
Magnuz
Tyrant

Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:13 pm

https://youtu.be/mqqft2x_Aa4

New Trailer looks amazing.
K_Steel
Prognostibator

Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:16 pm

"The Batman" looks fantastic. Long-awaited redemption for the Batman franchise. All Batman-related live action media has been terrible for the past decade.

This looks like it's going to recapture the dignity that Nolan brought to the Batman franchise, and be a massive hit with mainstream audiences.

As far as the rest of DC fandome went... :ugh: They need a Kevin Feige, badly.
Aleks
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:27 pm

Looks great. What was the last really good Batman movie? The Dark Knight? Yeah, thats about right. Can't wait.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:55 am

When talking about what execs do and do not like... 'execs' is a big term that covers a lot of people with very different opinions and backgrounds. 'Execs' thought Justice League was good enough to put in theaters. 'Execs' refused to bankroll a Lord of the Rings adaptation for decades. Weinstein was an exec. I wouldn't worry about what execs think before a movie even comes out.

In any event.. this film looks awesome and I'm very excited about it. This may end up being my favorite film incarnation of Batman. A title currently held by Val Kilmer and [email protected]#$ off if you don't like it. :)
scribb
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:53 am

I agree the trailer looks excellent.

But there appears to be so much plot there, that I'm worried that a lot of it will have to be cut down to fit into an appropriate runtime.
Bip
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:13 pm

scribb wrote:

But there appears to be so much plot there, that I'm worried that a lot of it will have to be cut down to fit into an appropriate runtime.
The movie's runtime is rumored to be almost three hours so I think they could fit it all in.

I know I'm in the minority but I'm still not fully onboard with this. I guess its because of everything that has been going on behind the scenes of WB and the fact that I just can't buy Pattinson as Batman or Bruce Wayne. He doesn't look or really come off as intimidating as Batman or as the billionaire playboy to the public as Bruce. The Batman voice is better than Bale's but that's not saying much and to be honest I didn't really care for Bale as Batman either outside of Begins. He was a pretty good Bruce but a shit Batman. That's not all Bale's fault though since the best writing pretty much went into the villains.

All in all I guess I'm still on the fence about this because I'm down for Zoe Kravitz, Andy Serkis, and Colin Farrel as Catwoman, Alfred, and Penguin. The story sounds interesting from whats gotten out and so does their take on Riddler. However the weak link for me is still Pattinson.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:31 pm

Bip wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:13 pm
scribb wrote:

The movie's runtime is rumored to be almost three hours so I think they could fit it all in.

I know I'm in the minority but I'm still not fully onboard with this. I guess its because of everything that has been going on behind the scenes of WB and the fact that I just can't buy Pattinson as Batman or Bruce Wayne. He doesn't look or really come off as intimidating as Batman or as the billionaire playboy to the public as Bruce. The Batman voice is better than Bale's but that's not saying much and to be honest I didn't really care for Bale as Batman either outside of Begins. He was a pretty good Bruce but a shit Batman. That's not all Bale's fault though since the best writing pretty much went into the villains.

All in all I guess I'm still on the fence about this because I'm down for Zoe Kravitz, Andy Serkis, and Colin Farrel as Catwoman, Alfred, and Penguin. The story sounds interesting from whats gotten out and so does their take on Riddler. However the weak link for me is still Pattinson.
I actually agree with a lot of this. Not everything, but a lot. I don't think Bale was a shit Batman, but really liked him in Begins more than Dark Knight. I know it's really easy to do, but I felt he took too much of a backseat to the Joker. I'm also not fully onboard with this movie. I don't have strong feelings on Pattinson either way, but I haven't been sold on him as Batman or Wayne yet. Like you said, the rest of the cast is absolutely great on paper, and seem good in the movie, but Pattinson obviously has to carry it.

I'm also really not worried about 'fitting plot in the movie'. It's pointless to make an attempt at judging such a thing by a trailer because you're coming at it from the other end. They broke the story, wrote the script, made the movie, then cut the trailer with pieces of that. Some movies you can piece together the plot from a trailer but they're obviously going for something more complex than that. And having a mystery/thriller Batman movie could be really great.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:02 pm

Yeah, I'm fully invested in needing to see this flick now. I've come to respect Pats moreso than I like him as an actor so he's far from the weak link here for me; that's all in the writing and directing, imho. I need that car, SpinMasters. Hurry up!
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:31 pm

I'm lucky enough to not have any bias from previous exposure to Pattinson. I do however think his hair isn't quite what I'd like in a Bruce Wayne. That's where Bale did it for me. He looked like what I imagine Bruce Wayne to be. I did think he was a great Batman as well personally. I understand why some liked him as Batman in Begins better than the other movies as Begins made a deliberate attempt to film him as a Batman always in the shadows. The subsequent movies brought him out visually more to the forefront....but at the same time he hardly wore the suit...especially in the last one. I appreciated how those movies really spent a lot of time focusing on him as Bruce Wayne.

I'm looking forward to this one spending a lot of time focusing on Batman as Batman.

I'm looking forward to it with cautious optimism. I've been excited by trailers before...and it doesn't always work out.
featofstrength
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:37 pm

maverick10126 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:31 pm
I'm lucky enough to not have any bias from previous exposure to Pattinson.
The Lighthouse…all you need.

I believe in Patt-Man. And Reeves. Really looking forward to this one.
Magnuz
Tyrant

Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:16 pm

While i do feel like the design aesthetic is a step backwards from afflecks batman, i understand the reasoning. No i don't "love" the batsuit pattinson is wearing but i get the idea behind it, like the rest of the film.

It's a different look and style and everything makes sense with what they are doing. His suit is cobbled together and rough looking because this is year one era early batman whos still finding himself. He's lost in his rage and rumors say he spends most of the time in the suit, so a "playboy" bruce is not a thing he's concerned with. Bruce isn't a persona he's made yet he's just batman right now trying to figure out how to do things.

He doesn't have fox to give him cool stuff, he's just making things work on his own, so a custom car and bike, equipment is mish mash repurposed and scrapped together. He's clearly showing his preference for violence against criminals and riddler is going to be the one to really push his buttons and drive him to a dark path he has to fight back from, bringing him against the police and gordon etc.

The thing i take away most from the trailer is the film looks amazing, from just a quality of film making perspective. It has beautiful cinematography and style and it looks really good. That mixed with what is clearly a more noir, thriller detective story and maybe some intense and interesting performances ( i mean you cant even recognize colin farrel in this) could make for a spectacular film, regardless of it being a batman movie.

No pattinsons not my first choice but heath ledger was nobodies first choice for joker and he blew everyone away, i don't assume we will have the same revelation with this, because batman inherently isn't as showy a role as a villain like the joker, which is why villains always outshine batman in his films, but this may give us our most deep and intense batman yet.

Im excited for the possibilities.

Return to “The Multiplex”