Moon Knight - MCU Disney+ Series

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
User avatar
sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Just north of 'the D'
Posts: 6498
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:31 am

Re: Moon Knight - MCU Disney+ Series

Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:50 pm

Possible villain casting:
User avatar
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3133
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:23 am

Re: Moon Knight - MCU Disney+ Series

Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:03 pm

Mr potatohead wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:01 pm
Blingoman wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:12 pm
Mr potatohead wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:03 pm


I never said Keanu was a great actor--I don't think that at all. More like competent. I just think he's more memorable and has more charisma then from what I've seen from Oscar in anything yet.
What have you seen Oscar Isaac in? Just curious. He's fantastic in Ex Machina.

I think this is a great choice. I love Keanu, but he doesn't have much range. I definitely want him in the MCU, but not as Moon Knight.
I own Ex Machina and found his performance to be quite bland. Yes, his role meant to be downplayed anyway, but I didn't see where he made any choices any other actor wouldn't make. Then again, the script had him playing a genius who makes really dumb choices so I imagine that would be a confusing character follow-through for your average actor. Just difference of opinion.

Really just his popular films. X-men, Star Wars, Annihilation, Ex Machina, Drive, Body of Lies, Robin Hood. So we can chalk it up to my lack of experience with him having good roles anyway, but I'm generally a believer that if you're really good you can work well with what you've got. From what I've seen he hasn't.
I know this is from several months ago but I hope since then you've seen Inside Llewyn Davis at least.

I'd recommend Ten Years though he isn't the main character. There are a lot of performances that shine despite the movie not having an abundance of depth. Also of note: the cast is almost entirely made up of future MCU and Fox marvel stars.
Mr potatohead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1439
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: Moon Knight - MCU Disney+ Series

Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:03 pm

Since you went out of your way I'll put them on my list to seek out this weekend. I going "up North" as we say here in Mi to my parents' lake house and plan to do a lot of catching up on TV and film. Thanks for the recommendations.
User avatar
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3133
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:23 am

Re: Moon Knight - MCU Disney+ Series

Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:53 pm

You bet! Just to give a little more info, Inside Llewyn Davis is by the Coen brothers and for me it's one of their best lately. (I haven't enjoyed their movies as much as I did their earlier work. It's a more somber one though, but not a thriller.)

Ten Years is pretty light, an ensemble movie about a ten year reunion. A lot of perspectives so you get some variety even if some of the plots aren't as good as others.

Hopefully if you can find them, they're enjoyable. Part of me hates recommending movies, especially to someone whose taste I have no idea about, but let me know how it goes! :)
User avatar
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 9279
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:50 pm

Re: Moon Knight - MCU Disney+ Series

Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:23 pm

The only times I've seen Isaac not be 'intense' is in the Sequels and I just can't use Poe Dameron as an example of his work either good or poor because those movies have way greater issues than any merits of his performance. So, from what I've seen of him he doesn't have a lot of range (I can't imagine him in anything like a slapstick comedy, for instance) but he's very good within that 'intense' range, imho. I quite liked Operation Finale, about the Israelis hunting down Adolf Eichmann in Argentina.
User avatar
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3133
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:23 am

Re: Moon Knight - MCU Disney+ Series

Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:10 pm

AdrienVeidt wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:23 pm
The only times I've seen Isaac not be 'intense' is in the Sequels and I just can't use Poe Dameron as an example of his work either good or poor because those movies have way greater issues than any merits of his performance. So, from what I've seen of him he doesn't have a lot of range (I can't imagine him in anything like a slapstick comedy, for instance) but he's very good within that 'intense' range, imho. I quite liked Operation Finale, about the Israelis hunting down Adolf Eichmann in Argentina.
Ah thank you, I totally missed that one! I'll have to seek it out.

I would imagine Moon Knight would lend more to an intense performance, but it's also a series so I would expect more time to show more range.

And I can't see him in slapstick either but comedy is a LOT harder than drama so it's a very different sort of skill. In Llewyn Davis, Issac is far more subdued than Poe Dameron ever was. It's a light drama with some heavier moments and some levity, but I felt he carried it pretty well. One of the more grounded Coen brothers movies where the characters aren't all out ridiculous or bizarre. Mostly.

Ten Years is just kinda fun. Like the scene with Apocalypse, Falcon, Starlord, and the guy who was almost Gambit in a car getting high.

Both movies also show off Isaac's singing ability and I actually have several of his songs outside of movie stuff as well.
User avatar
K_Steel
Avengers Assemble
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:31 pm

Re: Moon Knight - MCU Disney+ Series

Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:56 pm

Of all the Disney Plus shows, this is the one with the most potential to get close to Daredevil quality if done right. They've got a crazy talented cast, and a very engaging premise. Lots of potential for brutal action and cerebral thematic exploration. Hopefully this one delivers.
User avatar
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 15750
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:17 am

Re: Moon Knight - MCU Disney+ Series

Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:59 pm

Ru_1977 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:10 pm
AdrienVeidt wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:23 pm
The only times I've seen Isaac not be 'intense' is in the Sequels and I just can't use Poe Dameron as an example of his work either good or poor because those movies have way greater issues than any merits of his performance. So, from what I've seen of him he doesn't have a lot of range (I can't imagine him in anything like a slapstick comedy, for instance) but he's very good within that 'intense' range, imho. I quite liked Operation Finale, about the Israelis hunting down Adolf Eichmann in Argentina.
Ah thank you, I totally missed that one! I'll have to seek it out.

I would imagine Moon Knight would lend more to an intense performance, but it's also a series so I would expect more time to show more range.

And I can't see him in slapstick either but comedy is a LOT harder than drama so it's a very different sort of skill. In Llewyn Davis, Issac is far more subdued than Poe Dameron ever was. It's a light drama with some heavier moments and some levity, but I felt he carried it pretty well. One of the more grounded Coen brothers movies where the characters aren't all out ridiculous or bizarre. Mostly.

I haven't given too much thought to this show because Moon Knight has a complicated, varied comic history and there are just so many directions the show could take for the character that it's almost impossible to imagine how an actor will handle it. If they go with a fairly modern comic version of the character... I think Isaac could really pull off that straight-face comedy where we, the audience, think it's funny because of the situation and the dialogue and all that, but that the -character- isn't actually joking and gets to play the scene straight.

Isaac has that kind of honesty/sincerity in his face and voice that will work really well for MK saying very crazy or ridiculous things while being completely dead serious and not, himself, seeing any humor in the situation. On top of that, I do think Isaac can pull off 'mean and angry' if he needs to, and any good MK series will need him to, in my opinion.

I'm really hoping for that modern interpretation of MK, because I really don't want him to be wise-cracking mean Spider-Man. Nor do I want him to be white-suit Batman. Or barely-more-serious Deadpool. There needs to be humor, but MK himself shouldn't be privy to it, if that makes sense.
User avatar
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3133
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:23 am

Re: Moon Knight - MCU Disney+ Series

Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:53 pm

I admit I haven't ever read a comic with Moon Knight so I have no frame of reference.

But when you say he plays it straight but the audience is laughing... Like a less silly Naked Gun?
User avatar
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 15750
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:17 am

Re: Moon Knight - MCU Disney+ Series

Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:26 pm

Ru_1977 wrote: I admit I haven't ever read a comic with Moon Knight so I have no frame of reference.

But when you say he plays it straight but the audience is laughing... Like a less silly Naked Gun?
Maybe a little. The best reference I can think of is kind of obscure but if you know, you know.

There's a scene in the final season of Justice League Unlimited when they're all fighting and Batman gets blown out of his jet or whatever and is just free-falling, and he super calmly asks for an assist because "I can't fly. At all." He says it -absolutely straight- like it was a necessary and matter-of-fact piece of information they needed for the situation.

We, the audience, laugh. Because it's a funny line. In a ridiculous situation for someone to be that serious and say something that's funny. But to Batman it was not a funny line and was not a joke. So I think of MK being like that.. but more, and more often.
User avatar
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3133
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:23 am

Re: Moon Knight - MCU Disney+ Series

Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:33 pm

I would definitely love a show with that tone. Some of these upcoming characters, I'm pretty interested to see how they pull off having them interact in the big mega event. Probably the most interested I've been since it became clear Tony and Thor would share scenes.

Return to “The Multiplex”





Recent Topics