What If...? - MCU Disney+ Series

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
Deckard
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: What If...? - MCU Disney+ Series

Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:26 am

What If ... we made a tv series where week after week we find new ways to kill off our heroes over and over again. Lol
It's well done but too damn depressing for me.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:29 am

Deckard wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:26 am
What If ... we made a tv series where week after week we find new ways to kill off our heroes over and over again. Lol
It's well done but too damn depressing for me.
If I dwell on it too hard, I get to that conclusion as well actually. There are a lot of fun little moments in most of the episodes, even aside from callbacks to the movies. But yeah, a couple of these were not only unfun but also heavier than I was really in the mood for.
MARVEL KNIGHT 2099
Such a cute little cheerleader

Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:24 pm

I mean that's most of What If? in a nutshell even in the comics. Most of the stories don't end happily. Some do, but most don't.
Maximoff
no more subnics

Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:29 pm

I thought this episode was pretty good story wise. It’s basically killmonger with a better plan than what he had in Black Panther. Tricked them into trusting and accepting him so they gave him the throne instead of taking it by force and having everyone in wakanda hate him. But shuri is too smart and sees through it. Solid episode and one I would like to see a follow up episode to see killmonger get beat. I’d imagine shuri and pepper are going to make themselves Ironman armor with stark tech powered by wakandan tech.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:24 am

MARVEL KNIGHT 2099 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:24 pm
I mean that's most of What If? in a nutshell even in the comics. Most of the stories don't end happily. Some do, but most don't.
I agree, and I noted to myself how it seemed like the opposite here, where most stories seemed to be ending happily. It's funny because a lot of times, the shortcoming of MCU productions is the nature of the medium. Comics can tell a ton of stories and try tons of different things with countless returns to status quo because they're monthly, and a lot of them have been running for decades, while movies can only do so many and come out so often. Shows, you can do more but still isn't the same as monthly serials. But for me, they've flipped that problem by making a weekly 'almost everyone dies' story too much as opposed to the monthly way. But even the comic series, I ran out of steam on those as well to be honest. It got pretty redundant most of the time from what I read.

But I'm betting the finale turns my attitude around.
Maximoff wrote: I thought this episode was pretty good story wise. It’s basically killmonger with a better plan than what he had in Black Panther. Tricked them into trusting and accepting him so they gave him the throne instead of taking it by force and having everyone in wakanda hate him. But shuri is too smart and sees through it. Solid episode and one I would like to see a follow up episode to see killmonger get beat. I’d imagine shuri and pepper are going to make themselves Ironman armor with stark tech powered by wakandan tech.
Probably just what is planned, yeah. I agree it was a strong story. I guess What If Killmonger Got Started Way Earlier.
Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:03 am

Ep. 7
Well, this was a nice episode and a welcome change of pace after all the doom and gloom. Loved the huge location markers.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:56 pm

Man, why couldn't movie Surtur have looked as cool he does here? Movie Surtur just looks like a mishmash of a cigarette's 'cherry'.

Also, these *have* to be leading up to a combined something or other. There's just too many cool-ass teaser endings for them to just be dropped, imho. This ending's character designs looks friggin' sweet!
K_Steel
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:09 pm

It was the most transparent 'girl power' episode of the bunch so far, they even knocked out Fury and Odin randomly, so Hill and Friga could be in it.

It wasn't terrible but it really didn't introduce anything noteworthy. A hollow episode. The Killmonger, Strange and T'Challa episodes are probably the best of the batch thus far.
CTVampSlayer
X-23 gots a boyfriend

Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:39 pm

K_Steel wrote:
It was the most transparent 'girl power' episode of the bunch so far, they even knocked out Fury and Odin randomly, so Hill and Friga could be in it.

It wasn't terrible but it really didn't introduce anything noteworthy. A hollow episode. The Killmonger, Strange and T'Challa episodes are probably the best of the batch thus far.

Genuine question: do you consider the other episodes "boy power?"
Capman
Amalgam version of "Bat America"

What If...? - MCU Disney+ Series

Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:49 pm

Spoiler! :
This lighter episode was a nice departure from the darker tones in some of the other episodes. Lot of laughs and meathead humor. I liked the Surtur scenes, too, and Loki as a frost giant with bendy horns was a good touch. Vision as Ultron Prime set up the end of the season well (and confirmed the trailer shots that show the Ultron army against a different Avengers team).
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:48 pm

I would buy figures of these Frost Giants at the same size ML Surtur is.
RoyalCollector
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:03 pm

K_Steel wrote:

Half the episode was the showrunners doing some weird male fan service dunking on Carol. It was good they balanced it out near the end, but for a moment there it was such a transparent "ok fanboys, we heard you hate Captain Marvel, here's your fix with egregious humiliation and your masculine archetype crush beating the shit out of her". They basically hyped up party Thor and doubled down on all the reasons the basement dwellers use to call Brie Larson and Captain Marvel toxic. I've seen comments on youtube getting piles of likes already about how Carol is so arrogant and full of herself and is undeserving of her powers (the usual), missing the point entirely that Party Thor was just as arrogant and undeserving of his position. It resolved in the end flipping the script, thankfully.

Overall I did enjoy this episode, but it definitely had questionable decisions.

Edit: Oh, and they actually had a line of Thor telling Carol to "smile". Plain lunacy.
hurricanebtvs
Wannabe Mod FAIL!

Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:21 pm

I've not been a massive fan of this series so far. One or two good episodes, but mostly meh. However, this might have been the worst episode yet. It was the first one I activetly skipped ahead in.
K_Steel
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:42 pm

CTVampSlayer wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:39 pm
K_Steel wrote:

Genuine question: do you consider the other episodes "boy power?"
Not really. AC Bradley generally writes the male heroes as comedic goofballs or tragically incompetent, with the exception of Chadwick Boseman. With the female heroes being the reasonable and competent ones. That's fine for a show like this. It's likely intentional on her part, but in this episode it was slightly too obvious they wanted to make Thor look like a fool, with having certain other characters 'educate' him at the end.

It was handled better in last week's episode with Shuri and Pepper being the only ones to solve the Killmonger problem. A lot more understated and subtle.

Hopefully the characterization of Thor in the next movie is better. Lots of untapped potential with that character.
MARVEL KNIGHT 2099
Such a cute little cheerleader

Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:27 am

Dunno what was funnier: The actual episode or the fact that the ending still kept the trend of "What Ifs don't really have happy conclusions."

That was just fun and light-hearted. Done in the spirit of a teen comedy movie, which worked real well here imo. And I can already see people going "This was dumb and too funny" after literally going "Does every episode have to be so dark and depressing?" for the past 3 weeks.

Return to “The Multiplex”