Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - MCU Movie

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
MARVEL KNIGHT 2099
Such a cute little cheerleader
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - MCU Movie

Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:57 am

Yeah Bruce in the arm brace basically confirms this was all post-Endgame. Pretty sure at this point we're not gonna be seeing any stories told mid-blip.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:39 am

I'm sure they'll do something set in that period eventually. I actually thought, before Val showed up, that five year period would be a good time for something like the Thunderbolts or Dark Avengers to rise and come into prominence before getting people like Steve, Natasha, etc to get back in the game and do something about it before Scott pops back out.
RoyalCollector
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:00 pm

I really like this movie.
Spoiler! :
This is a personal preference, but I hate soul sucking/devouring monsters. Although fictional gives me existential heebie jeebies about the permanence of snuffing out any possibility of life after death.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:58 pm

RoyalCollector wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:00 pm
I really like this movie.
Spoiler! :
This is a personal preference, but I hate soul sucking/devouring monsters. Although fictional gives me existential heebie jeebies about the permanence of snuffing out any possibility of life after death.
Spoiler! :
That's funny but I'm the same way. I also hate ghosts that haunt people and there's basically nothing you can do about it. Like The Ring. Like come on man, all I did was watch a video. I didn't drown you!
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:51 am

Logan622 wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:27 am
I think it says a lot about what Marvel thinks about Simu Lui’s acting chops by giving him such little dialogue throughout the film… I found his ability to emote was rather limited too, but I guess they figured in an action film, as long as he’s kicking ass, they’ll let his fighting do all the talking?

(Compare that to Benedict cumberbatch, who is a prolific actor and was consequently given significantly more lines in all his MCU appearances)
I think this is why Katy is so important - she verbalizes his inner turmoil by getting him to talk as much as is in the movie. This is a problem that writing created and could solve, because he talked when he was lighthearted, but then when he is dealing with his angst he does it quietly, or with martial arts. Being stoic makes some sense for a new character - we can't all talk like Tony Stark - but I will be curious if he remains that way for future appearances, or if they lean him more towards comedy or keep him strong quiet.

And that's why Katy got invited, because she'll bring out whatever personality they go with quicker. I also have a sinking feeling she may be the Gwen Stacy of this next phase of movies, but that's based solely on her surprise inclusion at the end, actor popularity (and busy schedule) and audience surrogate status.
Andron X
I come from the land up over

Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:18 am

Nice perception on their use of her!
I doubt they'd kill her off in a future movie though. I feel Marvel is going be shying away from fridging in these films.
K_Steel
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:53 pm

I finally saw this thing. It was really well directed. Top-notch action sequences.

The script is where it suffers. It plays it safe and is rather formulaic. I honestly don't think it's box office would have been much better during non-pandemic times. This isn't a 'Black Panther' or anywhere close. It's more in the Ant-Man bracket of appeal.

The biggest weakness of the film is Shang-Chi himself. He's an empty vessel. He doesn't have the charm of RDJ, Evans, Hemsworth, Pratt, Rudd etc. And the character doesn't have much agency.

He essentially has to share his 'hero's journey' arc with his younger sister (who is given a compelling story), and relies on Awkwafina to 'complete' him as a character. She functions as the 'charm and levity' he lacks. So ultimately he seems like half a character.

They didn't even give him a romance/love interest/relationship. Or even anything close to that. He is the only Marvel male 'lead' without any type of romantic interest. They basically made him a eunuch.. which probably wouldn't fly well in China,

I wonder how future Shang-Chi films will happen (especially Avengers films featuring him) if Simu Liu continues to be banned in China.
Benedict
CROM!

Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:52 am

Shoehorning in a romance subplot would be very formulaic, pretty much every mcu solo film has had one.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:42 pm

I agree. It was one of the refreshing things about Captain Marvel too.
K_Steel
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:14 pm

Benedict wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:52 am
Shoehorning in a romance subplot would be very formulaic, pretty much every mcu solo film has had one.
It would have given Simu Liu more to work with. It isn't needed for all superhero films, but in this film.. the lead would have benefited from it. Shown more range.

Pretty much everything else in the movie was formulaic and safe. That isn't necessarily a bad thing,

Ru_1977 wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:42 pm
I agree. It was one of the refreshing things about Captain Marvel too.
The only downside to that is they missed opportunities to humanize Carol. She's still Space Karen. Hopefully 'The Marvels' will soften the character. Even "What If" seemed to label her as the 'party pooper' and it was apt.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:58 pm

I don't see how a romantic subplot makes her more humanized, but cool. We appear to see her pretty differently.
heinousjoe
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:40 pm

K_Steel wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:53 pm

The biggest weakness of the film is Shang-Chi himself. He's an empty vessel. He doesn't have the charm of RDJ, Evans, Hemsworth, Pratt, Rudd etc. And the character doesn't have much agency.
Never thought about it til now but he could be compared to Thor from his first movie. Once he interacts with other Avengers I can see him finding himself in these movies
Mr potatohead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:50 pm

They just didn't want to shock the audience by revealing too soon that he and Iron Fist are an item. Saving that for part 2.

Return to “The Multiplex”