Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - MCU Movie

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
heinousjoe
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - MCU Movie

Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:50 pm

Grouch wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:11 pm
Did they explain where the 10 rings came from or no?
Yes and No
Spoiler! :
at the beginning they say where Wenwu got them (or speculated, "some people say he found them here or here)
At the end of the movie, Wong and company are examining them and they don't know where but somewhere cosmic I think it's alluded to
Adamantium Claws
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:37 am

I hope we get a What-If episode with Tony and Wenwu. Or the unthinkable. A confrontation between them set between Iron Man 3 and Age of Ultron.
ftw-jedi
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:36 am

heinousjoe wrote:
ftw-jedi wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:46 pm

I hate when nobodys with little to no training just do the most amazing feats or master something in a very rushed manner with no real explanation and there were multiple people doing this.
A lot of wtf movie moments like the bus scene (just step on the brakes) or getting to the portal (every one of those drivers got through the trees?! or why not fly a helicopter over the trees when you own helicopters?!)

Spoiler! :

The only nobody that did something amazing with no training was Katy shooting arrows. Idk who else you're talking about
And stepping on the brakes, I assume you mean before razor fist cut the brakes?
Spoiler! :

Katie is the major complaint of course, but Shang mastering the ten rings faster than rey mastering the force and killing foom too in a matter of minutes is a bit much no?
When ppl argue, hell when they raise there voice on the bus, bus driver normally stops. I'd assume if guys start going full kung fu the bus driver would've stopped. Scene would've worked better on a train

Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:52 am

Ah yes, in a universe with space raccons, sentient purple prunes looking for jewlery across galaxies, and literal gods, the fact that a bus driver doesn't immediately stop the bus is the least believable thing.
The fight was amazing. They've (director and film crew) used their setting in a really cool way. Movies like this should be enjoyable, not realistic.
ftw-jedi
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:30 pm

Shinigami_PL wrote:Ah yes, in a universe with space raccons, sentient purple prunes looking for jewlery across galaxies, and literal gods, the fact that a bus driver doesn't immediately stop the bus is the least believable thing.
The fight was amazing. They've (director and film crew) used their setting in a really cool way. Movies like this should be enjoyable, not realistic.
Bus scene was a very minor gripe of mine for sure, not terrible by any means. The movie was doing fine imo til the last 30 min+ or so is where the movie lost me.

sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:23 pm

Took my oldest last night, we both liked it.

He liked all of the Kung-Fu, the Ta Lo animals and the two clans battling the most. I loved the Kung-Fu, the scenery, Wenwu had more layers than I was expecting, Ying Nan was fantastic, I think I may find Xialing more intriguing than Shang-Chi.

Overall, I put this right along with Dr Strange and Ant-Man in terms of an origin movie that is ok and entertaining, but for me, really a place holder until the character gets fully into the MCU and starts interacting with the rest of the universe. In that sense, the two credits scenes were probably the most exciting parts of the movie for me. Very excited to see where each of those lead to. Having said that, the fight scenes and the cinematography will have me re-watching this movie a lot.
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:32 pm

Thoughts after two viewings: spoilers, obviously.

I feel like the scenes with Shang, Katy and their friends were reshoots or added late. The male friend is definitely an LA local actor and I can't imagine them flying him to Australia (not a knock on him). Plus, the scene in the alley between the first bar and before the karaoke Shang is missing his coat, which he has in both surrounding scenes. Anyway, those were very MCU-heavy conversations and I get the feeling those were altered late to better position this franchise in the MCU.

Xialing: I get Wenwu really didn't notice her, but not to give the two of them a scene? Odd choice, especially given where her character looks to be going. I really wish there was more of Wenwu with the kids. Also, I feel like there needed to be a scene of Xialing and Shang reconciling not on the back of a dragon. "Oh, she's back dismantling my dad's organization" - not enough, and sure, buddy, sure, that's what she's doing.

I'm very surprised Xialing just let her brother take possession of the rings with her craving for power. It wasn't even a conversation. Yes, he got them from Wenwu but only because it was the last option. Should it be a conversation if Shang even WANTS them?

Katy - I like Awkwafina and what she brings to a role. I liked Katy, I liked the platonic friendship, I liked her realization. I do wish she had taken the shot and just missed and then Guang Bo could have made the real shot before getting eaten. Or they fire at the same time and Katy isn't sure if it was hers or his.

Or... Xialing could have used her sharp arrow throwing skills to puncture the dragon's throat. THAT would have been way better. And she's way closer. (What is her weapon called?)

But Katy - why does Wong want her? I know why - to keep Awkwafina in future films, and because Shang-Chi doesn't really emote much without externalizing to her. But that felt like a really odd choice designed to keep a high-profile actor involved rather than a character. I'm happy she's there - just felt like a cleaner invite would have helped.

Final note for all three characters: y'all just rode a dragon. A DRAGON! And only Katy had a reaction to seeing a DRAGON for the first time, but I really wanted a "holy shit - I thought y'all were high when you were talking about dragons." Then when Shang and Xialing step off the dragon after the fight, it was clear they were stepping off blue scaffolding because they had zero reaction to stepping on - or just riding - a dragon. And maybe say thank you? To the Great Protector? Who is definitely going to have some indigestion later.

I am thankful, though, that everyone who had their souls eaten stayed dead. I'm so used to Disney at this point reversing death and dead things that I was afraid all the souls would just bounce back.

Finally, I really needed another scene or two of Shang-Chi himself. So much of his character is played in flashback that I don't feel like Simu got enough.

Overall, enjoyed a lot of the film and all the actors on screen (I wonder if Razor Fist would have been a bigger presence if the actor could deliver lines better). I did lose interest when it became pixels vs pixels at the end (but the VFX was very well done) because the human conflict was so much more interesting.
Mr potatohead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:20 pm

I liked it. I've known Shang-Chi almost my whole life, but never picked up the character's book so I didn't know what to expect or let go of--which was a nice change of pace.

My biggest negative against the film would be that the humor really fell flat most of the time from a combination of performance and direction. Mostly the timing was just off. The only real laugh from me, as well as the small audience in attendance, was when a certain character talks about a certain movie. That was hilarious. There were some audience chuckles involved with that character later in the film as well. I'm sure if the place was full there would've been a better response.

Action scenes were decent, but as others have said things came a little too easy so there was really no wonder involved. It was a major step up as far as CG from Black Widow--what a difference a year makes.

Tony Leung's fantastic performance and very well written character might now be my favorite antagonist in the MCU. It's always a pleasure to see Michelle Yeoh (even if she is now 2 different characters in the MCU). The rest of the cast was fine. I was worried about Katy actress getting on my nerves, but she was tolerable and even (at least a little bit) likable.

Waiting for the end credit scene really depressed me. I didn't know Brad Allan died. That messed me up. I've been a fan of his since his start with Jackie Chan. He was my age, so that made it even worse. Too young to go.

I look forward to more Shang-Chi in the MCU, though I'm at a loss logistically as to why that other character is being brought along as well.
Andron X
I come from the land up over

Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:11 am

All this back and forth, and no one else noticed that when the bus drive tries to step on the brakes, and finds they don't work, he pulls out a pair of head phones, also explaining why he didn't hear the commotion behind him.

the thing that I had the hardest time believing, was that a man and a woman in their 30's have known each other for ten years, spend every day together, party together, eat breakfast together with her family, and she will drop everything to run off to China with him on a whim, but they're "just friends". Nah dude. Unless one or both of them are gay, I just don't buy it.
Only reason they weren't an item, is that when she finds he has a whole secret past, it's not a relationship altering reveal, and more of a "fun thing I'm just learning now about my best friend."
I knew they were gonna pull that shit the moment they appeared on screen together too.
Benedict
CROM!

Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:42 am

“Bus driver didn’t try brakes, 3/10. Bottom 3 Marvel movies”

On a serious note, I enjoyed it. Different but familiar, about what I expected for another origin story.
Spoiler! :
only things I found odd were that 3 days was enough time for everyone to prepare and get good enough to take on the 10 rings, seems like it was meant to be much longer. Also a little confused how Shang-Chi was able to suddenly take control of the rings after being yeeted into the river for 5 mins.
Couple of moments where you could see a much younger stunt double for Wenwu, though that doesn’t bother me much. Thought the fight scenes could’ve used longer shots, was quite choppy especially when it was swinging all around the action upside down for the scaffold fight.
Otherwise I thought it was fun. Would’ve loved to have seen more of Wenwu’s meeting with the Iron Gang.
Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:47 am

I wonder if we have any chance to see Iron Fist in the MCU now, when Shang-Chi basically borrowed the chi based super powers, a hidden fairy tale land and a freaking dragon from Danny.
Mr potatohead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:40 pm

I was curious about Asian cultural reaction to the film and found this lengthy video (1/2 hour) interesting. Spoilers throughout. It added a bit more depth to my viewing experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI9mGKw0Ls8
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:44 pm

Godzilla vs Kong had some lucky timing in its Box Office favor in that everybody thought we were finishing up with COVID and before the Delta variant started raising its head. TSS had both the poor timing to come out after Delta's rise *and* a widening of the knowledge HBOMax lets you watch new movies for 'free'. I think they're happy with its good reception acting as good advertising for the service moreso than worrying about the movie's profitability on its own. They have greenlit the PeaceMaker show, after all. ATT has more than enough money to float the service for a year or two while this all settles out to stability.

I finally caught this last night and indeed enjoyed it, moreso than Black Widow. I was disappointed the BigBad wasn't Shuma Gorath after having him (apparently) being teased so much in What If. I am very pleased we're getting the other end of Lovecraftian Cosmic Horrors with the Celestials in a couple weeks, tho. How do you go bigger than them for Phase 5?

When Wong left the arena with Abomination, was that the Raft they went to thru the SpinnyPortal?

And I now notice nobody talked about the Blip, just the Snap; and we didn't see any characters confirmed to have been Snapped so I'm thinking this happened during the 5Years.
Logan622
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:27 am

I think it says a lot about what Marvel thinks about Simu Lui’s acting chops by giving him such little dialogue throughout the film… I found his ability to emote was rather limited too, but I guess they figured in an action film, as long as he’s kicking ass, they’ll let his fighting do all the talking?

(Compare that to Benedict cumberbatch, who is a prolific actor and was consequently given significantly more lines in all his MCU appearances)
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:04 pm

AdrienVeidt wrote:
I was disappointed the BigBad wasn't Shuma Gorath after having him (apparently) being teased so much in What If. I am very pleased we're getting the other end of Lovecraftian Cosmic Horrors with the Celestials in a couple weeks, tho. How do you go bigger than them for Phase 5?
I wonder if Shuma Gorath will be revealed to be the voice behind not only what Wenwu heard leading him to want to open the seal, but also Wanda's last scene on WandaVision, being paid off in MOM. The Dweller that emerged may have only been a minion since it never seemed to use the ability to mimic voices and that seems like a good one for a predator like that.
AdrienVeidt wrote:
And I now notice nobody talked about the Blip, just the Snap; and we didn't see any characters confirmed to have been Snapped so I'm thinking this happened during the 5Years.
There is a poster Shang Chi passes on the wall about "Post Blip Anxiety". That seems to be the most definitive evidence for it taking place after Endgame. Bruce isn't Hulk anymore, yet wears the brace still. Carol could go either way (before haircut, or enough time has passed to have grown it out again). They say it is set in 2024.

Return to “The Multiplex”

Recent Topics