the Eternals - MCU Movie

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
Junkpile
one man's trash...
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: the Eternals - MCU Movie

Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:12 pm

CTVampSlayer wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:02 pm
Capman wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:06 pm

(2) Nods to human history were fine, but wow - don’t change our history to be reliant on something outside of humanity.

Why not? Most of the history we're taught is lies anyway. Or, at least, incredibly whitewashed/sanitized.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:43 pm

JPC wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:58 am
I actually think Sprite is the real problem with this movie. I just feel nothing for her and I don't know if it's a writing or performance problem.
I go with writing (or editing depending on what wasn't included), as her story - that she has been stuck as an adolescent for 5,000 years and was longing for the time that they would return "home" and get a new start - is probably the most compelling personal reason any of them had for wanting the Earth to be destroyed. But I felt they weren't explicit enough about that being her motivation until the end, instead first giving the more simplistic reason that she had a crush on Ikaris being why she went with him.

She could have been a character we empathized with, understanding it would have been a personal sacrifice for her to stop the emergence, and therefore we would be happy about her becoming "human" somehow at the end, but at for me as well it didn't resonate.
CTVampSlayer
X-23 gots a boyfriend

Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:27 pm

Junkpile wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:12 pm
CTVampSlayer wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:02 pm
Capman wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:06 pm

(2) Nods to human history were fine, but wow - don’t change our history to be reliant on something outside of humanity.

Why not? Most of the history we're taught is lies anyway. Or, at least, incredibly whitewashed/sanitized.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Spoiler! :
George Washington's dentures weren't made of wood.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:40 pm

There were a couple of characters I went in expected to not like and Sprite was one of them but she really surprised me. I'm clearly a total sucker because I still love this movie and the entire cast. I don't even have a problem with the Deviants since they clearly had a purpose in the plot but it wasn't what was expected.

And I don't really see the problem with them helping/guiding/affecting human history. It's a common theme with science fiction.
Capman
Amalgam version of "Bat America"

Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:53 am

While human history being affected by aliens is a common theme in science fiction, it is also unoriginal and an easy way out.

On the positive side, I did really like the idea of the celestial “egg” residing within the earth. That was original and interesting. It did make me thing of Ego’s plant from GOTG2, but that was different enough, I guess.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:05 am

Well, Ego was a Celestial too at least.
Andron X
I come from the land up over

Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:15 am

Transformers did something similar in the last non-bumblebee film, whichever that was.
They had to stop Unicron from transforming from within the earth.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:30 am

Andron X wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:15 am
Transformers did something similar in the last non-bumblebee film, whichever that was.
They had to stop Unicron from transforming from within the earth.
Transformers was also one of the many sci-fi films to explain an alternate reason for Chernobyl among other things. I think the moon race too? I'm not saying it's totally original to have history secretly influenced by characters in a story but it's also not something I'd expect anyone to get too worked up over either.
Bashbash99
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:29 pm

Finished my rewatch and i can't say i particularly noticed any lighting issues, i guess maybe in the early part of the film when they are in London could get murky, but again i didn't notice any problems telling what was going on.

I think my conclusion is that i like the last hour or so of this movie much much more than the 1st hour and a half. Basically the more the group assembles (in present day) the better their dynamics seem to get. plus it feels like the most exciting action occurs when its Ikaris vs the rest, both in terms of how it looks on film and also actually feeling like there are stakes, unlike the earlier deviant battles (even though they did kill Gilgamesh). i liked the schism within the group, with some opposed and some in favor of stopping emergence, without it being cut and dry whether they are actually doing the right thing (fwiw, i'd argue humanity defeating Thanos pretty much renders us worthy of survival, well at least the fictional mcu version of humanity).

Anyhow its too bad the first half is so boring. But i do think the final act being more interesting suggests that any sequel or follow-up could be much better than this movie, assuming they can find more interesting antagonists than the deviants.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:59 pm

Ru_1977 wrote:
What are the chances Ego was Knowhere? The first we see of Ego is a floating disembodied brain and he remembers nothing beforehand. Maybe he was a traitor Celestial and got his ass torn *completely* apart by the rest?

Also, the Eternals now being robots that get reset for every planet (is there only one gestating Celestial at a time?) completely ruins the Sprite character as we now know her personality conflicts are *deliberate* design choices made by Arishem.
Bashbash99
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:03 pm

AdrienVeidt wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:59 pm
Ru_1977 wrote:
What are the chances Ego was Knowhere? The first we see of Ego is a floating disembodied brain and he remembers nothing beforehand. Maybe he was a traitor Celestial and got his ass torn *completely* apart by the rest?

Also, the Eternals now being robots that get reset for every planet (is there only one gestating Celestial at a time?) completely ruins the Sprite character as we now know her personality conflicts are *deliberate* design choices made by Arishem.
One thing i found confusing about the robots is that we see during Arishem's explanation to Sersi that there are many duplicates of all of them. So are they just searching out their duplicates? or are there other distinct eternals out there (Starfox seems to be an indication of this being the case). Does Arishem design Eternals to resemble the native species of a planet or is it just human-looking Eternals everywhere?

I didn't think Sprite's character was ruined. Was nice to see she wasn't really "punished" for stabbing Sersi but instead got to realize her dream of physically maturing. Feels like her story is done and i kinda doubt we see her in the sequel - in fact its not clear to me that she even has her illusion powers anymore. But i could be wrong.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:51 pm

I'm thinking casting that particular actress and genderswapping Sprite to a woman means they want her to not visibly age a lot in the next decade-ish, imho. She's the only one of them Feige has any long-term use for, imho. Giving her mortality is just the story hook to give her a character arc into the future.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:01 pm

She looked like she had visibly aged at the premiere to me at least.

Also, with the celestials being responsible for life, the universe, and everything... Anyone else consider how Arishem deceived them about so much else that maybe their ultimate purpose is still wrapped in lies as well?
CTVampSlayer
X-23 gots a boyfriend

Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:20 pm

Ru_1977 wrote:

Also, with the celestials being responsible for life, the universe, and everything... Anyone else consider how Arishem deceived them about so much else that maybe their ultimate purpose is still wrapped in lies as well?
Such an interesting question to ask and not one you'd expect from an MCU film -- very comic accurate to the Eternals though.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:28 pm

CTVampSlayer wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:20 pm
Ru_1977 wrote:

Such an interesting question to ask and not one you'd expect from an MCU film -- very comic accurate to the Eternals though.
Ah ha. Well, I'm pretty much thoroughly ignorant about the comics so maybe this train of thought is on to something. The question also stems a bit from Eros and Thanos. It doesn't seem/feel like they had the same purpose on Titan, nor does it look like that planet had a Celestial erupt from it.

Return to “The Multiplex”