Official Marvel Cinematic Universe thread

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
SDcomics
Smilies are my weapon of choice
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Official Marvel Cinematic Universe thread

Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:29 am

The latest rumor du jour: Henry Cavill as Hyperion in Loki Season 2.

That's ... just about perfect.

Throw in Christian Bale as Nighthawk, Grant Gustin as Speed Demon, David Ramsey as Dr. Spectrum, Jason Momoa as Amphibian, Gal Gadot as Power Princess, Aldis Hodge as Blue Eagle, Jurnee Smollett as Lady Lark, Stephen Amell as Golden Arrow, Serinda Swan as Arcanna, Franz Drameh as Nuke, Ryan Zheng as Tom Thumb and Harry Lennix as The Skrullian Skymaster.

This might be the only way we get a good Justice League movie.

I know. I'm cray.
SDcomics

Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:38 am

Am I gonna be able to let go of this?

Probably not.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:17 am

I will defend the original X-Men trilogy as it took the characters mostly seriously at a time that wasn't the case for comic book films since the first two Superman films. I think if the X-Men films hadn't happened, not sure we'd have gotten a real MCU.

For the X-Men trilogy, I could have lived without the final battle in the first film being at the Statue of Liberty and Magneto having kind of a mustache-twirling supervillain plot with Rogue and mutating people, and the X-team was a little too small, but other parts worked well, and I remember when people hated the Wolverine casting as being a too tall pretty-boy before the film came out. Jean was probably miscast, she never seemed to be the typical girl next door enough for me. I know people disliked X-Men 3 (as a Dark Phoenix adaptation it was lacking but a comic accurate version was never going to happen at the time), but I thought it worked pretty well as a conclusion to that trilogy - I thought the scene in Jean's family home was really good and Xavier's demise was a surprise, Magneto was more in his element as rallying the mutants as militants, and I thought Wolverine fighting to get to Jean and having to kill her was great use of his healing powers and had some emotional heft to it. The idea that mutants might not be sure if they wanted to be cured or not also worked for me, especially for some characters like Rogue.

I also thought that the Afleck Daredevil was a pretty decent take on the character - the visualization of his radar, the general mood -and the extended cut improved it.

Chris Evans was about the only good thing in the FF films as he was spot on as Johnny - thought the Thing was OK, maybe not New Yawk enough - but wasn't a fan of Reed or Sue to be honest. I thought Silver Surfer wasn't too bad in the second one but his story is better when we see him discussing stuff with Galactus about his role. Doom just didn't work.

And of course the Rami Spidey films were pretty good - at least the first two, the third floundered. Ang Lee's Hulk was well intentioned but didn't work for a lot of reasons.

Granted it mostly pales to the MCU at this point where the comic-booky-ness is embraced and the execution has been pretty stellar all around. But at the time before the MCU expectations were different, and only the FF films and Hulk were real let-downs I felt. (Ghost Rider, Punisher and Blade were never characters that I really cared that much about so I was equally indifferent to the films.)
SDcomics

Re: Official Marvel Cinematic UniverThankfully se thread

Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:37 am

fac wrote:
I will defend the original X-Men trilogy as it took the characters mostly seriously at a time that wasn't the case for comic book films since the first two Superman films. I think if the X-Men films hadn't happened, not sure we'd have gotten a real MCU.
I completely agree with that statement. I couldn't have said it better. Bryan Singer, Sam Raimi and Christopher Nolan ushered in the modern era of comic book movies. Jon Favreau, Joss Whedon, James Gunn and The Russo Brothers picked up the baton and ran with it.

If X-Men, Spider-Man and Batman Begins had bombed back in the early days of this century, that would have been that. Thankfully that was not the case.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:44 am

That's funny, my one nerd friend and I were talking about Cavill all day because of that. Cavill was always his fancast choice for Sentry but Hyperion works the same way.
Magnuz
Tyrant

Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:17 am

Honestly at this point it feels like standard issue clickbait to put cavills name on any rumor.

I mean so far for marvel alone he's been "rumored" for:
Wolverine
Captain Britain
Mr Fantastic
Hercules
Cyclops

Now hyperion, I mean hey if it's true, could be cool though within loki it's by no means permanent, bit cavill has become basically nothing but a rumor report lately.
scribb
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:22 pm

Magnuz wrote:Honestly at this point it feels like standard issue clickbait to put cavills name on any rumor.

I mean so far for marvel alone he's been "rumored" for:
Wolverine
Captain Britain
Mr Fantastic
Hercules
Cyclops

Now hyperion, I mean hey if it's true, could be cool though within loki it's by no means permanent, bit cavill has become basically nothing but a rumor report lately.
And James Bond.
Mr potatohead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:13 pm

It sounded like the only character that he was rumored for and actually said he would like to play was CB. I would totally go nuts if they did take a stab at CB--either solo or with Excalibur. Then again I'm for all the patriotic characters. Bring on Alpha Flight with a seriously Canadian feel as well. :D
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Re: Official Marvel Cinematic UniverThankfully se thread

Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:32 pm

SDcomics wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:37 am
fac wrote:
I completely agree with that statement. I couldn't have said it better. Bryan Singer, Sam Raimi and Christopher Nolan ushered in the modern era of comic book movies. Jon Favreau, Joss Whedon, James Gunn and The Russo Brothers picked up the baton and ran with it.

If X-Men, Spider-Man and Batman Begins had bombed back in the early days of this century, that would have been that. Thankfully that was not the case.
*sigh*, Blade sits over in the corner alone.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:22 pm

I think you could watch Blade or Punisher and never know the source material was a comic book, just some fun Vampire/Horror and Vigilante style films, so their success (or failure) was not going to impact the opinion about super-hero films the way X-Men and Rami Spider-Man and later Nolan Batman did.

Other examples would be V for Vendetta, Akira, 300, Men in Black - comic books films that may have gotten production companies to realize that comic book source material was ripe for films, but probably didn't make anyone think that Ant-Man was going to attract Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas and Michelle Pfiefer and generate a trilogy that will get close to $2 billion at the box-office when it is done.
SDcomics

Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:31 pm

fac wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:22 pm
I think you could watch Blade or Punisher and never know the source material was a comic book, just some fun Vampire/Horror and Vigilante style films, so their success (or failure) was not going to impact the opinion about super-hero films the way X-Men and Rami Spider-Man and later Nolan Batman did.

Other examples would be V for Vendetta, Akira, 300, Men in Black - comic books films that may have gotten production companies to realize that comic book source material was ripe for films, but probably didn't make anyone think that Ant-Man was going to attract Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas and Michelle Pfiefer and generate a trilogy that will get close to $2 billion at the box-office when it is done.
Yes, thank you.

I think I should have said "Bryan Singer, Sam Raimi and Christopher Nolan ushered in the modern era of SUPERHERO movies" instead of "comic book movies".

For the record, I did enjoy the Blade movies, especially the third one.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:48 pm

Heh, right, there was a time where studios were slipping those CBMs under the audience's noses. 30 Days of Night was another one.
SDcomics

Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:19 pm

Ru_1977 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:48 pm
Heh, right, there was a time where studios were slipping those CBMs under the audience's noses. 30 Days of Night was another one.
Tank Girl, Judge Dredd, Timecop, Barb Wire, Hellboy, The Mask ...
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:51 pm

Heh, The Mask was my first "ah man, the comic was so much better" reaction.

Some of those feel kinda comic booky though, like Sin City.
SDcomics

Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:57 pm

Way back in the early to mid 1980's, I was strolling through the aisles of the San Diego Comic Con when I happened to notice none other than Richard Donner rifling through the boxes of back issues that various dealers brought to sell. This was right before The Goonies came out if I remember correctly. I knew he was the director of Superman but I didn't know he was a comic book fan. I said out loud to no one in particular "I didn't know Richard Donner was a collector" and Neal Adams, who was standing right behind me, said "He's not. He's here to steal our ideas."

And Neal, as it turned out, was right. That's exactly what he was doing. He did it every year. And not just Richard Donner. Lots of Hollywood types ... writers, directors, producers, set designers ... would make the the trek from LA to San Diego every summer to see what new comics were out there and what might translate well to the big and small screens. And I mean they looked at EVERYTHING. The major publishers (Marvel, DC) the new publishers (Eclipse, Dark Horse, Comico, First) the small independents (Slave Labor, Caliber, Drawn and Quarterly, Fantagraphics) the self publishers (WARP, Aardvark-Vanaheim) the undergrounds (Kitchen Sink, Rip-Off Press) and well, just about anything and everything. And they still do it to this day.

I think Neal was overly harsh when he said Richard was there to "steal" their ideas. I think there is truth to that, but I think Richard and the other movie industry professionals were also there to look for inspiration, and maybe to offer some of the artists and writers who worked on the books employment.

But anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there. Carry on.

Return to “The Multiplex”