Official Marvel Cinematic Universe thread

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
SDcomics
Smilies are my weapon of choice
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Official Marvel Cinematic Universe thread

Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:07 am

Ru_1977 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:05 pm
So apparently there is a possibility Universal's distribution deal for any hulk solo movies may end next year. Maybe we'll get an announcement at sdcc 2023 for World War Hulk...
Yep. comicbookmovie.com has an article posted here

The SEC filing from 2006:

"Universal Studios has agreed to distribute Marvel’s film The Incredible Hulk and sequels on essentially the same terms as those on which Paramount has agreed to distribute the other films financed and produced under the film facility."

"Paramount shall have the right to exercise its Paramount Distribution Rights with respect to each Picture for an initial period of 15 years commencing on the initial Theatrical Exhibition of such Picture (the 'Initial Distribution Term')."

The 15 years ends next June.

Yeah, World War Hulk and Planet Hulk would be great. I'd love it. Maybe a Disney + World War Hulk series that could lead into a Planet Hulk movie.

And I know this will not come as a shock to anyone that knows me, but I would love love LOVE to see a Hulk/Wolverine slug fest at some point.

Or a Hulk/Thing fight.

Or, now that Namor's in the MCU, the comic book styled Defenders.

And please, throw in the duck.

SDcomics

Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:31 am

september_death wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:58 pm
Nothing public for sure, but Sony seemed to be putting feelers out between Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Civil War, when the whole Sony Pictures studio was making flop after flop. I’d have to look up the timing, but there was the series of hacks that opened a lot of bad press for Sony. But the success of Holland’s trilogy, and especially NWH, that moment appears to have passed.
Okay, there was some scuttlebutt going around a few years ago about Sony and this is what I remember. Take this all with a HUGE grain of salt.

Back towards the end of 2014, a group calling itself "Guardians of Peace" hacked Sony's computers and leaked a whole bunch of emails. It turned out it was really the North Koreans. Why did they do that? No one knows. It may have had something to do with a then upcoming Sony film called The Interview, a comedy about a plot to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong-un. Or maybe they're just mean. Who knows?

Anyhoo, the hacked emails revealed, among other things, that Sony was struggling in the movie business. Remember, Sony did not start out making films They started out as a manufacturer of electronic equipment at the end of World War Two. In 1987 (I think. May have been sooner) they bought Columbia Pictures and got into the movie business. Things were going so bad for Sony in 2014 that the hacked emails revealed they were seriously considering getting out of the movie business and getting back to doing what they do best: making electronics.

Now, had they put the studio up on the auction block,I kinda doubt Disney would have bought them. They just spent a wad of cash on the Fox assets. I don't know if their shareholders would have approved another major acquisition so soon after the last one. BUT ... had another studio, like Universal or Paramount, bought Sony Pictures, the film and television rights to Spider-Man and all the Spider-Man related characters would have automatically gone back to Marvel.

A pity that never happened.

Anyway, that's the way I remember it and I freely and openly admit I could be way wrong.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:35 am

I've thought for a while that a solo Hulk project would be a brilliant (and obviously fitting) place to introduce a new version of Wolverine. I thought maybe a Hulk show when there was talk of that a while ago, but now... yeah, a movie would be great.
scribb
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:01 pm

SDcomics wrote:
september_death wrote:
Nothing public for sure, but Sony seemed to be putting feelers out between Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Civil War, when the whole Sony Pictures studio was making flop after flop. I’d have to look up the timing, but there was the series of hacks that opened a lot of bad press for Sony. But the success of Holland’s trilogy, and especially NWH, that moment appears to have passed.
Okay, there was some scuttlebutt going around a few years ago about Sony and this is what I remember. Take this all with a HUGE grain of salt.

Back towards the end of 2014, a group calling itself "Guardians of Peace" hacked Sony's computers and leaked a whole bunch of emails. It turned out it was really the North Koreans. Why did they do that? No one knows. It may have had something to do with a then upcoming Sony film called The Interview, a comedy about a plot to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong-un. Or maybe they're just mean. Who knows?

Anyhoo, the hacked emails revealed, among other things, that Sony was struggling in the movie business. Remember, Sony did not start out making films They started out as a manufacturer of electronic equipment at the end of World War Two. In 1987 (I think. May have been sooner) they bought Columbia Pictures and got into the movie business. Things were going so bad for Sony in 2014 that the hacked emails revealed they were seriously considering getting out of the movie business and getting back to doing what they do best: making electronics.

Now, had they put the studio up on the auction block,I kinda doubt Disney would have bought them. They just spent a wad of cash on the Fox assets. I don't know if their shareholders would have approved another major acquisition so soon after the last one. BUT ... had another studio, like Universal or Paramount, bought Sony Pictures, the film and television rights to Spider-Man and all the Spider-Man related characters would have automatically gone back to Marvel.

Anyway, that's the way I remember it and I freely and openly admit I could be way wrong.
If Sony had been bought by another studio wouldn't the rights still stay with Sony if the new studio kept the Sony name and company alive as an imprint/sub-studio?
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:17 pm

scribb wrote:
SDcomics wrote:
september_death wrote:

If Sony had been bought by another studio wouldn't the rights still stay with Sony if the new studio kept the Sony name and company alive as an imprint/sub-studio?
Depends on the original contract. Not all rights are transferable.
SDcomics

Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:25 pm

AdrienVeidt wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:17 pm
scribb wrote:
Depends on the original contract. Not all rights are transferable.
Correct. This was my understanding of the situation. If Sony got out of the movie business, the rights to the Marvel characters revert back to Marvel. It would make no difference if whoever bought them kept the Sony name. It would still be a different company and not the same one that made the original deal.

Part of the original deal was that Sony had to keep a Spider-Man film in active development at all times. The minute Sony stopped producing them, the rights would revert back to Marvel. The pressure was really on Sony. They had to keep making Spider-Man movies, and they had to be hits.

This is how Marvel got the live action rights back to Daredevil. Marvel's deal with Fox was similar to the one they had with Sony. Fox had to have a Daredevil film or TV show in development at all times or the rights to Daredevil and the Daredevil family of characters would revert back to Marvel. After Fox decided not to pursue sequels to the Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner films, a writer/director named David Slade began to develop Daredevil as a film or possible TV show. After a few years of trying, he couldn't crack the script and Fox had nothing else lined up. That was that, and Daredevil went back home, first to Marvel Television and now finally to Marvel Studios.

Funny how these things work.

Anyhoo, it seems that little by little, Marvel is getting the rights back to most of their characters and that's a good thing.
scribb
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:49 pm

Maybe- Phase 4 has not been stellar.
SDcomics

Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:23 pm

scribb wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:49 pm
Maybe- Phase 4 has not been stellar.
That depends on who you ask.

I mean, Marvel is doing a whole hell of a lot better in the movie department than DC is. I'm not worried about them.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:09 pm

For me 4 has been as consistent and enjoyable as Phase 1 was (I mean, enjoyable all around with some I won't rewatch nearly as much as others), which makes sense now that we know it's the kick off for a new saga.
SDcomics

Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:21 pm

Seriously, is there anyone out there, anyone at all, who thinks The X-Men, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, Daredevil and the Hulk would be better off at different studios than they are home with Marvel?

Please tell me that the Jamie Foxx Amazing Spider-Man 2 Electro was better than the Jamie Foxx Spider-Man: No Way Home Electro. Please tell me that. I haven't had a good laugh all day.

Remember those Pre-2008 days? Remember Galactus as a storm cloud? A Dr. Doom that couldn't keep his mask on? Hulk dogs? Bullseye with a target branded on his forehead? Remember two different Emma Frosts, two different Calibans and at least two different Sabretooths? I don't mean different actors playing the same parts, I mean completely different characters with the same name and same powers. In movies that were all supposed to be in continuity with each other.

Shall we even bring up the Josh Trank Fantastic Four?

I will say that I just recently re-watched many of the early Pre-MCU Marvel movies and they weren't all that bad. The Tim Story Fantastic Four movies have not aged well at all. The Josh Trank Fantastic Four will sit on the ash heap of colossal bombs. But the other films did have some redeeming qualities. I enjoyed the Blade movies. The Thomas Jane Punisher had it's moments. Days of Future Past and Logan rank with some of the best superhero movies ever made.

But there's no doubt in my mind that each and everyone of these characters will be better off at home with Marvel Studios. Daredevil: Born Again will be much, much better than anything 20th Century Fox produced. I can tell ya that right now. It will even be better than the Netflix shows. I can't wait to see Marvel's take on the X-Men. I'll bet we have one Sabretooth and one consistent timeline. And don't get me started on the Fantastic Four. I cannot WAIT to see Galactus and Dr. Doom finally done right.

Anyway, just my thoughts. Feel free to disagree. It's okay.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:27 pm

For me, the Story FF movies have aged just fine because I never really liked them. They were, at best, quaint to me at the time. Super powered pranks and dance routines. They were of that era, which I never got into that much. I've said before but I'm also one who didn't enjoy the Raimi Spider-Man movie all that much, and don't really think 3 is that much worse than 1 or 2.

However... I freely admit to kinda enjoying Colin Farrell in Daredevil but not the way that was likely intended. He's so over the top and so ridiculous and so... energetic I guess is a nice way of putting it? That I can't help but stop and watch with mouth agape. I also do appreciate they changed the character to Irish but that isn't really a deciding factor.
SDcomics

Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:33 pm

Ru_1977 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:09 pm
For me 4 has been as consistent and enjoyable as Phase 1 was (I mean, enjoyable all around with some I won't rewatch nearly as much as others), which makes sense now that we know it's the kick off for a new saga.
Yep, that's the way I see it, too. Phase four lays the groundwork and sets the stage. Phase five: the plot thickens and a villain with an agenda emerges. Phase six: the turning point and then the climax.

Remember your creative writing class in high school? Basic story structure.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:39 pm

Heh, I never had that class, but I consistently got C's in English class because I treated it LIKE a creative writing class.
SDcomics

Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:51 pm

Ru_1977 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:27 pm
For me, the Story FF movies have aged just fine because I never really liked them. They were, at best, quaint to me at the time. Super powered pranks and dance routines. They were of that era, which I never got into that much.
Yeah, I did enjoy those first two Fantastic Four movies when I first saw them but I think it was just the thrill of seeing those characters on the big screen. That wears off quick.

The FF as a situation comedy just does not work. And Trank's "dark and gritty, grounded" version of the team didn't work, either.

The Fantastic Four are a family. A family of explorers. Scientists. Challengers of the Unknown. The stories are supposed to be FANTASTIC. Hidden lands. Hidden races. Hidden civilizations. Atlantis. Wakanda. The Savage Land. The Blue Area of the Moon. The Microverse. The Negative Zone. Where the heck was all that in the Fox movies?

There is no doubt in my mind that Marvel Studios will get them right. I can't wait.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:57 pm

I have faith as well. And I agree on the family thing. I'd be perfectly fine with not only skipping the origin but also having them be parents already. (MOM could be argued to suggest that). I can probably count how many FF comics I've read on one hand but they were already parents by then. Also, come on... Power Pack spin-off series is just too perfect for Disney Plus.

Return to “The Multiplex”